Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

Mmmmmm....perversion. This one had definitely caught my eye when Beth gave us a sneak preview of upcoming scents, and I was blessed with an imp of it in my latest order. I confess to being a coconut freak of sorts, but it's hard to find a coconut scent that isn't horrendously sweet. Somehow, the sweetness of the vanilla and coconut is quite restrained and there's a subtle spiciness underneath. It's absolutely divine.

[added description ~qs] Edited by Shollin

Another bottle. I absolutely love the new Hellfire, and this is the female counterpoint. It's dark, sweet, sexy, and just a bit dirty. I get enough of the chardonnay to brighten it and make it feminine, enough of the leather to cut the sweetness, and overall I get flavored pipe tobacco. I also thought I got a whiff of coconut, but I don't see it in the new description. If it's in there, it isn't a sweet, packaged coconut, it's more like the husk or wood, left out in the sun a bit.

It really complements the vanilla/tonka note. I have to stop now or I'll just keep throwing out random ravings about this scent.

FIRST SNIFF: hints of tobacco and vanilla

WEARING IT: a thin layer of white wine emerges but there is still the burst of vanilla and tobacco that is most noticeable. there is something earthy lingering in the background which is more than likely the oakmoss. i think i'm smelling coconut and it really bounces around the vanilla and helps add the perfect amount of sweetness to the rest of the scent.

VERDICT: truly lovely, a bigger bottle will probably be in the works :P

in the vial: Smoky, buttery, sweet. This reminds me of Tom Waits in a bar at 4 AM, only more feminine. This really makes me want to try Hellfire. :D

on my skin: Mmmm. A second skin scent. Subtley, naturally smoky, buttery and sweet. Smooth. I smell tobacco, I smell coconut, I smell vanilla, I smell some kind of warm, dark liquor. This is a very relaxed, chill scent. It sets a definite mood. The only bad thing is it's making me want to go have a cigarette... lol

I reeeaally dig this. :P

This one was a freebie imp I received with my purchase...and boy am I glad I got it!

On first sniff I wasn't too sure. I tossed it aside to sample my selected scents. But after going back and taking a second whiff, I was definitely intrigued. I couldn't quite pin down what I was smelling, but after reading some of the reviews I figured it was the coconut. I'm pretty ignorant about a lot of scents so I don't have a lot of experience with the ones used in this love potion.

So, I immediately put it on...and couldn't stop smelling myself! I smelled the rum first, then the chardonnay and coconut smells. It's a perfect blend of sweet, spicey, floral and musky. Even my boyfriend loved it and he's hard to impress.

This could definitely be an everyday perfume for me. I think I'd get a lot of attention...it's so unique and inviting. My favorite so far (coming from someone who likes exotic, sinful scents)!!!!

UPDATE: I am wearing this at work today and a fellow BPAL girl at work has been trying to sniff me all day claiming that she wants to eat me. As long as she does't steal my imp :P

Edited by Rheliwen

Perversion smells like a scruffy forty-something man wearing bay rum leaning in to kiss a pink-clad fifteen year old popping her bubblegum. That said, this is a really sexy, slinky, disturbing blend. I don't think I would wear this, but I would want to smell it on others. The description says gender neutral, but I have a feeling this would be divine on a dude. :P

Another fabulous free imp from my latest order, BPAL rule!

This is wonderful, on me the notes that come through strongest are smoke, leather and tonka bean (similar to vanilla).

The smokiness is subtle, a hint of just-got-home-from-a-club, but absolutely not the stale ashtray smell of having actually been around smokers :) That and the leather are traditionally masculine, but they combine really well with the sweet base. On me it actually ends up a little reminiscent of licorice, yum!

Unique and entrancing, I desire a 5ml bottle. Definitely one of my favourites.

... based on coconut-laden prototype...

It's so awesome. SO awesome. Coconut and leather and tobacco and vanilla (I guess it's actually tonka bean). Morphing beautifully and becoming sweet yet sophistocated. The only sophisocated coconut scent, I think, because it is not beachy/tropical in any way. Even though I tried it on while I was about to make some sort of culinary mess in the dining room, and was wearing old dirty clothes, I felt glamorous and ready for a night on the town with cigarette holders and evening gowns... except I would be dressed in drag in a man's suit. This has very cross-dressy, 1930s Weimar associations for me, for some reason. I love it.

The only thing is, something about it reminds me of a car air freshener thing that my uncle used to have hanging from the rearview mirror of his pickup truck. I can't get that vision out of my head when I smell this. But it's still very, very good.

ETA: I just got my Chaos Theory which smells a lot like this but without the leather or tobacco. I realized the leather and tobacco in combination with the rest of everything is what was making me smell like the pickup truck air freshener.

Edited by ladylatemar

Absolute heaven in a bottle! :D

This is my first review, because although I've loved sampling Beth's creations over the past few months, I know I suck at identifying individual notes. So I'm afraid I won't be much help to anyone looking for a "wet, it smelled like..." or, "drydown had definite notes of..." review.

However, I will say that even I detect the coconut and tonka bean (vanilla-ish) notes here. Not overpowering or cloying, but definitely present. And I'd also agree with shadow, who commented this is the "female" counterpart to Hellfire. Having tried both scents, I have to say they do share a similar aura. But perversion is definitely more feminine to my nose.

Let me just say again, I love this!! :P

claire G

Ohhh, this is good! Just testing an imp. Didn't think I'd like the tobacco note at first, but it softens and the drydown is a sweet, smooth almost skin scent that's lovely! It's soft but still has plenty of oomph. The tobacco, tonka, leather and hint of coconut are there for me, plus a little warm spiciness and some musk, I think. Very nice and not too masculine for me.

:flop purrrrr twitch:

I want to roll in this scent, like slather it on in lotion and just lay in bed and be enveloped by it.

While I am certain that was more imagery than you needed.

Wow oh wow.

In the bottle I got a lot of smokey vanilla but as soon as I put this on itmorphed into this stunningly complex but not overpowering creature. A spice of rum that fades quickly into a sweet, gorgeous tobacco scent softened faintly by leather and a touch of vanilla. The chardonnay makes fleeting glimpses but it's more like little sips that keep the scent clear and not too cloying.

I love this. It's always a good sign when I put an oil on and go "wow I don't think I've tried anything that smells like this yet!"

Definite keeper.

This smells like something very naughty. Leather pants and roll-your-own tobacco and sweet rum drinks. Something about it reminds me of the beach -- not the breezy days of sand and saltwater, but the nights, when your burnished skin (freshly anointed with after-sun oils) glistens as the orangy tiki-torch lights of an outdoor nightclub dance across it, and as you sip your melting pina colada and scan the place (with smoldering, smudged-eyeliner eyes) looking for someone to go home with.

It's coconutty, but dark and sweet and touched ever so slightly with that soft new leather smell. It definitely smells like the night before the morning after.

Ooh, I like it. It's not an everyday scent, but I can see myself LOVING this to wear out at night. This fragrance easily manages to compliment the smell of cigarette smoke while still managing to smell sweet and sexy.

I wore my sample of this today and it is really a unique scent. Wet, I can smell the tobacco and leather with a hint of chardonnay; however it dries down into a creamy soft cloud of rum tonka. It is really a unique scent and my hubby really liked it (when he got close to me) after I'd had it on about 7 hours or so. It does sort of remind me of Hellfire, but I really like Perversion much more than Hellfire.

Starting out, I could smell the wine backed up by tobacco. The wine faded away fairly quickly (which is good because wine doesn't like my skin) to a mellow, tobacco- and leather-backed chocolatey tonka bean. Yummy. :P

There is some coconut in this that was noticeable more in the mid-drydown stage. (For a few minutes there I kept glancing around for the tanning lotion!) Once dry, however, I didn't smell it anymore.

It lasted all day too. :D

This was another freebie that the Lab threw in with my last order---they are so generous. I’m ecstatic that I got the chance to try this, because I probably would never have ordered it on my own based on the description. This is one of the most unusual and original of the BPAL oils I’ve tried so far---I can honestly say that I’ve never smelled anything like it.

It reminded me of downing Hot Toddies in a certain Irish bar in New Orleans that I used to frequent. There’s a sweet rum note, a touch of tropical coconut, a swirl of smoky pipe tobacco and a sexy smack of leather. It’s another one of Elizabeth’s blends that can match my mood perfectly when I apply it, always ready to comfort, stimulate, or simply warm me with its presence.

I added my imp to a small jar of coconut oil, and use it to slather myself silly when the mood strikes me.

Oh this is divine! It can't topple Wanda for me but it's pretty well up there!

Wine and vanilla (tonka bean I guess) were very strong for me - there was a faint splash of wet tobacco being dropped into the wine glass at some point but not so much as for me to go "urgh, tobacco!" it was more like tobacco flowers - a sweet kind, or maybe like that black cherry herbal blend tobacco stuff!

but the wine stayed on me *yay* and so did the tonnka bean, becoming stronger as it dried off - the wine faded but the vanillary-dark scent didn't!

Definitely one for a 5 ml - top one Beth!

Another freebie from my latest order, and an interesting one at that. Similar to Hellfire, but different. I like it better, although neither scent is quite me. I think Salice will like this one quite a bit due to his fondness for tobacco scents. The first time I sniffed this, the coconut came through quite well and melded into tobacco. Now? The tobacco is most prominent. Caramel. I’m smelling caramel also, like a flavored tobacco. Is that the tonka? VERY interesting, if so. But yeah, not for me so much… but I’m anxious for Salice to try it. No doubt it’ll be delightful on him.

Perversion smells like Snake Oil's slutty sister. They both have a warm, rounded sweetness, but Perversion is a little boozy and a little smoky. And dammit, I love them both.

And who knows what this says about me, but I find Perversion really comforting. :D

ETA: Jebus, I love this scent. It's one of my favorites and I'm sure I'll end up buying a big bottle. :P

Edited by Aurelius

Ooh I love it. Sensual and sweet describes it quite well. I get a hint of coconut. It’s light and sweet and has no sourness or bitterness to it at all (rum and tobacco made me think it would have a slight acridness, but not a bit). Think I will add this to my must-haves. It’s definitely making it into my Top Ten. After wearing it a while, the tonka beans, leather, and tobacco scents come out and it is just wonderful and sensual and amazing. It’s not masculine at all, but I think it would be very sexy on a man as well.

This is my first Bpal. I don't get the coconut on me at all. The tobacco, rum and leather are forefront. After about an hour the bubblegum scent perked up. This definately smells like an older experienced man with a younger girl :P This would smell amazing on a man. I'd love to try this layered with something a touch more femine as it would make any scent much more naughty. I used way to much initially, you only need a drop with this one and it lasted all day.

editted to add that I love this scent. I would bathe in it if I could. I need a lifetime supply so I never ever ever run out.

Kimberly

Edited by kimberlygem

Jason wore this yesterday, and I loved it on him, but I think he's just not a fan of foody scents on himself. But believe me, he was absolutely edible. Definitely a scent you could put on your man for a night of cuddling. A long carriage ride under the stars. A sleghride. Nights like that .. yeah.

In the bottle this is somewhat spicy, but a smooth, milky spice. It's similar to chai, but not quite as spicy as that. Might be the rum I'm smelling. Not a bad scent at all. On second sniff, there's a wine note in this, probably coming to the forefront for me because I do love wine in most blends I've tried.

When I first put it on what I smell most is a strong wine note, but it's quickly overtaken by a smell that's almost but not quite vanilla. Is that the tonka bean? I vaguely recall hearing tonka can be used in place of vanilla. It's kinda like a smooth rum drink on me .. like a mudslide, but not chocolatey. I'm reminded of sitting at a bar with friends, all sharing drinks and generally being obnoxious 20-somethings.

Later on this gets a bit smokier, warmer and almost drier. Definitely smoky though, with a bit of spilled wine in the background. So very much a scent I'll wear more often .. and I'll delight in telling people the name. Perversion. *purrr*

The first time I wore this, I thought it was going to be one of my favorites. Every other time that I have worn it though it has an unsettling affect on me for the first hour, although I love it after that. Although I don't pick it out as an individual note I think it might be the wine that gives me that slightly quesy feeling, indeed as if I had been out drinking.

After that first hour it is beautiful though. The tonka bean is warmer on my skin than vanilla. The combination of tonka bean and leather is both attractive and attracting. It is slightly spicy and warm but at the same time creamy which comes across as incredibly sensual. No way could this be considered foody although it may may you edible :aroused:

Wet: a sharp splash of chardonnay at first, then coconut.

Dry: sweet and smoky, like the smell in your clothes after standing next to a wood fire – I guess that's the tobacco. The coconut, rum, leather and tonka bean aren't really distinguishable at this stage, but they create this creamy, rich undertone that keeps the smoky smell from being too harsh.

Perversion smells like you've been out late doing fun things you shouldn't. I can see how it's similar to Hellfire, but this smells less refined somehow – a rough bar instead of an exclusive club. Love it love it, it's in my top ten now.

Edited by isyche

oh. my. god. i haven't been able to stop smelling myself all day.

unlike most winey scents, it doesn't go (GRAPE APE GRAPE APE) on me. creamy coconut, slightly boozey, slightly smokey, just a hint of leather... i feel like i should be out and creating mischief..

i don't know that i'll buy a bottle, but since i gave my imp to my waitress tonight (she asked what i was wearing because she liked it) i'll definitely be buying another imp of this, specifically for the cruise i'm going on in january..

First Impression: I can't smell the leather! I can't smell the leather! :P

Second Impression: Perversion has left me a bit speechless really, it's *that* good. Creamy coconut, a hint of smoky tobacco and sweet vanilla. The wine and oakmoss, barely there- keep the sweetness grounded and if I detect the leather at all, it's just adding a touch of musky warmth. Addictive.

Final Analysis: On my skin Perversion is the girlie-sexy counterpart of Black Forest. I'm so glad I have another imp on the way. I won't be waiting too long to get my hands on a bottle. :D