Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

In bottle: leather, rum, tobacco

On me: Leather soaking wet with blanc de blancs champagne, tobacco, and what may be the tonka underneath. I really like this. Not something I would wear as a regular every day scent, but definitely something to dot the cleavage with when i was out clubbing!

the smoke becomes reminicient of cigar smoke on me very quickly with the leath overpowering the rum quickly. Definitely nice, but prolly not something I'd wear all the time.

First review:

In the imp: Sweet fruit and a fruity flower. Strange.

Wet: There's fruit and finally coconut! Yay!

Dry: Okay, this is very sad. Sniffing the scent on my arm an hour later disappointed me. It was disgusting! :P It smelled like rancid milk.

Category: No clue

Rating: 0/5; Unless it shapes up next try it will stay this low.

Overall: Normally my body works well with leather or coconut scents. Tonka is okay, just a little plastic-y like a vanilla-flavored plastic doll. I don't know where this went wrong. Maybe I didn't apply enough and was smelling something else on my arm. I don't know. I was so excited because it was a smoky leather and coconut scent. I'm DEFINATELY going to try this scent again (and again and again) since it didn't work. Yikes!

ETA: New review!

In the imp: Sweet, fruity coconut and lots of florals

Wet: super-sweet coconut, like blood pearl's coconut but heightened sweetness due to the florals.

Dry: Coconut, I'm getting a little bit of that leather now, a bitter note that has to be tobacco. At least it's not rancid milk.

Category: Coconut/dirty coconut

Rating: 3/5; Reminds me of Blood Pearl

Overall:On it's own, it's not too bad. The real problem is that while the leather is nice to the coconut, the tobacco is not. I think the first time I tried this my skin sucked up the coconut, leaving the tobacco behind. This time the blend worked nicely for both me and my SO. It's just too similar to Blood Pearl to be kept right now.

Edited by PixieSkull

perversion.jpg

My initial notes on this say "spiced champagne." I never really tested out again, or thought about it until I heard that it contains coconut. THEN, my friends, I was on a mission!

This starts out sparkly notes of alcohol (which is were I presume I got "spiced champagne" from), rum is the most evident. As the alcoholic notes fade away, it stays sweet, and the coconut and tonka come out to play, and there's just a wee touch of tobacco in the background. This is sweet, but sexy, and yummy all at the same time.

I think (hope) that now I've actually tried this, I've ordered a 10mL. I can easily see myself making a nice spray and layering myself in a coat of this stuff!

Wet this is a very light scent, spicy sherry and tobacco. It dries with more of a smoky scent, with underlyig leather and tonka. Just the sort of scent I've been looking for. I'm going to have to have a bottle, I think.

***The more I wore this the more I realized, it smells -just- like Thai Iced-Tea! Mmmm.

Edited by Nekomata

This is so light and dark at the same time. It is smoky and airy. I'm getting a bit of that coconut too. There is the tiniest bit of celery in this.

Whoo, okay. My first sniff of Perversion makes me think "a sweeter version of Snake Oil" which makes me happy. It smells damn good!

Then the tobacco comes on a little too strong, helped out by my chemistry, and it becomes too spicy for my taste, almost as if there are cloves involved.

As it dries, there's tonka mixed in with a tiny bit of tobacco and a big splash of coconut -- on my skin, anyway -- and I end up smelling like an air freshener, but a REALLY GOOD air freshener. It's yummy, but yeah, my skin makes it a little too Glade for my tastes.

Wow! I received this as a frimp and just... wow! Perversion is totally wicked. This is all sorts of wicked. Boozy, smoky, sweet and leathery. I can't believe how nice and yet how wicked this is!!!

I received this as a frimp from the Lab :P

In the vial: rum, tobacco and a spicy sweetness.

Wet: hmm, I'm not sure if I like this. There is something funky coming out. Perhaps the leather?

Dry: OMG! Party in a bottle! All of the elements work so well together. This scent is sweet, spicy, boozy and smoky all at the same time. It reminds me of walking into an upscale after hours club. Love it!

In the bottle: Dark and broody, I get a touch of tobacco, I think leather, and wood.

Wet: It's a deep, dark smell, I think I still mostly get tobacco with boozy hints. There's sweetness in here, too, I think in the tonka.

Drydown: It settles down into a weirdly dark, slightly bitter mix of tobacco and tonka mostly. I think I get a bit of rum, but the Chardonnay and leather are nowhere to be found... and then poof, something blossoms and I get a sweet slightly fruity scent from the wine, and a dry leather scent beneath it. As it dries down it gets mostly into fruity light wine and tonka.

Overall: This is how a gentleman's club would smell after they've broken out the booze and the hookers. It smells old-fashioned, somehow, I can't refrain from getting pictures of 19th century perversion in a really chic bordello. It has a weird bittersweet, dry/fruity combination that reminds me quite a bit of Red Phoenix. While I don't hate this as much as Red Phoenix, it doesn't really work on me either, I think I really have an aversion to tonka.

Thank you so so very much, whomever packed my last lab order, for including Perversion as a frimp :D It has instantly become one of my favorite scents!

Wet: in the imp and on initial application it was attractive smelling, but jumbled so I couldn't really tell what was what.

Initial Dry: immediately I can pull out sweet sweet tobacco, a slightly alcoholic tinge (thank goodness the rum is behaving... I can have issues with rum going too rummy), leather rounding out the body of the scent and a creamy vanilla-ish base. I feel dead sexy, even though I'm in my scrubby PJs. I could totally see myself wearing this to a fetish event.

Later: mellows into a complex but very sweet scent with tobacco and coconut (hello! nice you joined us!) making up the most easily recognizable notes.

Here's something I've learned from Perversion: I adore tobacco scents. I wasn't sure what was in Red Lantern that made it such a favorite during the drydown, but apparently it's the tobacco/coconut. To my fairly new nose Perversion is very similar in the middle stages, sweetly smoky but not as foody as the caramel-rich Red Lantern. AND it's General Collection! :P

On bookishguy it is less sweetly tobacco, and more deeply leather and spice. The best BPAL I've smelled on him so far :D

There will be a bottle (Or two. I'd hate to fight over it with the boy) in my next order, and it might even beat Red Lantern as my favorite smoky evening blend.

(edited for minor spellin' issues :D)

Edited by bookishgrrl

in the imp - sweet and smoky

on me - cloying, leathery, still sweet (the champange?), but with something earthy.

i like it, it has a nice throw on me, but it's a bit stronger than i like. i might wear it for a special sexy occasion, or i might bust it outmore inthe winter as it's a nice warm scent.

the imps a keeper, for sure. but i probably won't buy a bottle...

:P Tried this once, and didn't like it, tried it a second time and liked it. Ok, do I chalk that up to mood, chemistry, or overloaded sniffer? How strange.......

This is interesting. I smell something at first that smells a lot like... soap?! Not something I quite expected from an oil that contained leather. After about a couple of minutes, though, the leather gains its ground. This smells nice, but I have many, many leather scents from BPAL, and this one so far doesn't strike me as notable nor particularly desireable. There's a definite sweetness to the fragrance I'm sort of ambivalent towards.

I give it a moment and there it is: Perversion. It's leather and coconut mingled together in a happy union. A-ha! That is what makes you different, my pet. Coconut works for me in some scents and I've had it go horrible on me in others, but this works well. I don't know if I need to add to my retinue of leather scents that I already have in bottle form, but I will surely keep the imp to see if it will suit me. Perhaps in the future I may invest in a bottle, but for now, I will enjoy this lovely imp.

-doreen

Edited to add: Who am I kidding? I love leather, so I'll likely wind up getting a bottle of this, too.

Edited by feline.by.design

Immediately on my skin, it's a bizarre mixture of pina colada and soap. Within the first 30 seconds, though, that impression goes away; I'm left with a faint impression of coconut and a stronger one of (hallelujah!) tonka, which is so wonderful I keep sniffing myself over and over. And there's the tobacco, creeping up over the tonka and making me mourn for the fact that anyone smokes cigarettes when real tobacco smells *this good*. I'm not getting any impression of chardonnay or rum at all, and barely any leather -- it's all tonka, tobacco, and faint coconut which is a little unsettling but ultimately pleasant. I generally dislike foody perfumes, so I was worried about the coconut, but here there's little enough of it that it just smells decadent. I like it. Definitely a clubbing scent; I didn't have that category until I smelled this, but now it's defined. Maybe I'll wear it to Hex tonight for the 6/6/6 event, if I don't go with Gomorrah.

Also, this combines *really* well with Laudanum. Myrrh and tonka, sassafras and tobacco, nutmeg and coconut -- hot like whoa. I think I'm going to go with this for tonight. I'm not sure yet, though, whether I'll wear Perv enough to justify owning a bottle of it, or whether I should just constantly keep an imp around.

In the Imp: A bit sweet, a bit musky. Not terribly remarkable smelling to tell the truth.

Wet: Oooooh, so heavenly! Strong scents of leather, vanilla (tonka) and coconut. Which is weird as it's not listed in the description, but everyone else that reviews this seems to smell it too. Maybe it's coconut rum? :D

Dry: The coconut and vanilla dies down to a dull roar and the leather and tobacco come out evern more. The longer i wear it the more it smells like leather/tobacco. I love it. It kind of like a really nice combination of dry suntan oil, new leather shoes, a great cigar, and a bit of your favorite not-too-sweet vanilla hand lotion. One second thought it smells better than that description sounds. :P

Throw: The throw is great. Not too far, but far enough to envelope you in a nice warm cloud of comfy, sexy smell.

Overall: I love this perfume (oh my I am getting way too many BPALs I love!). And best of all this scent really lasts, so far it's about a six hour wear.

Edited by Galatea

I thought I smelled coconut in the imp, along with a spiciness, and a bit of vanilla. On, the spiciness is out in front, and the sweet is in the background, making it a lovely blend as it wafts up to my nose.

I'll try it a few more times; it might rate a big bottle.

In the bottle: Sweet and spicy alcohol. Very boozy, but complex.

Wet: 'Yum!' is pretty much all I can say. Tonka is the overwhelming note, and it's delicious. It's not too sweet--well balanced by the leather and tobacco. I can almost taste this blend when I smell it

Dry: This isn't morphing particularly, which I'm glad about, because it's already perfect on me! There's a smoky dryness behind the sweet tonka. Gorgeous.

Later: Good staying power, and good throw. Still delicious.

This cries for slathering all over, so I'll be ordering more of this!

Swap with... someone. Thanks! :D

In the Imp: Oh baby, oh baby. Thick, steamy, almost waxy sweetness, like an urban jungle full of sweet, boozy drinks and perfumed flesh. Rum, glorious rum, but buttery and rich, without the bite of, say, Hellcat, layered over syrupy tonka and bright chardonnay. I've not smelled the Lab's tobacco note before, but there's a slightly earthy, smoky touch winding through everything else, and I'm going to call it tobacco, although I could be wrong. I can almost smell the leather, too, which is a minor miracle-- oiled and sleek and hovering on the edges. And a splash of coconut milk? Quick, someone convince me I don't need to drink this. Or dump the entire imp down my cleavage. :P

Wet: A burst of the tobacco, but smoothed and underscored by rum and tonka. Slowly the sweet notes emerge to dominate, and-- oh my God, yes, it's the leather! Wooooo! I can never smell leather! But I can smell this, expensive and a tiny bit sharp and ooh, oooh, Perversion, I need to go clubbing just so I can wear you. I only dabbed a tiny bit on, and you are not only detectable, you are positively delicious.

Dry: Helloo, liquid sex. Tombstone's city sister, the harpy of the family. I can smell coconut, and chardonnay, and rum, and tonka, and leather, and tobacco, and the overall effect is seductive and teasing and a bit naughty and..... oh Beth, why do you do these things to me? 5mL, as soon as I can scrape up the cash. 'Cause, seriously. There are some things one simply has to roll around naked in, and this is one of them.

Perversion - On my skin, Perversion is predominantly vanilla with a hint of coconut sweetness. I don’t detect the other notes at all, quite surprisingly. I’d classify it as a “foody” scent, which is something I don’t normally like at all, and at first, I thought it was going to become too sweet for me, but it didn’t. It just really, really pretty. This is an incredibly gorgeous blend, and wow, does it have some incredible throw. The first time I used it, I put a tiny drop on the back of my hand, and I could smell it all around me for the rest of the evening. Simply amazing. I have managed to get a lot of this in swaps and never get tired of it.

Well, I don't know what happened here.....Perversion started out a little like the coconutty smokeyness of Red Lanern and ended up the sharp berry-ness of Yew Trees :P

I can't actually see what the two oils have in common, so I don't know how this happened. What a transformation, and sadly as Yew Trees turns my stomach, Perversion did similar, so off to swaps it goes.

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

No preconceptions.

Strong cloying scent, sniffed only.

The tobacco and sweetness are similar to The Red Lantern, but there is a note that is sweeter yet. What is it? The white wine?

If I had more time and inclination, this might be a room scent. It does stick around. I got a bit on my fingers and had to keep sniffing. So perhaps when my bottle of The Red Lantern is no more (sniff! :P ), this might be a decent substitute. These are both sweet, but Perversion is not quite as sweet. Hmm ... it would be fair to say it is a smidge more earthy. It's growing on me!

I purchased a 5ml unsniffed, just becuase the notes sounded so beautiful - and I'm so happy I did!

Granted, I'm still new but this might be my favorite BPAL yet. :P

In the bottle, to me it was a jumble of notes - at first whiff it reminded me of Freak Show a bit. Then I smelled the tobacco.

First on: Coconutty sweetness. I became mildly concerned.

Drying down: Tonka (yay!) and vanilla and tobacco.

Dry: Spicey tonka goodness with a hint of sweet rich, smoky vanilla. Think dessert, brandy, pipe smoke and lots of lovin' in front of a crackling fire... (oh someone please stop me)

In the imp: RUM.

On my skin: Mysteriously spicy, green-smelling rum at first. A few seconds later, smoky rum and coconut. After a minute or so, coconut becomes the dominant note, mixed with rum and maybe a hint of leather. Definately some smoke too. So glad the rum doesn't drown everything else out in this blend, 'cause it's a gorgeous blend, maybe even one of my favorites so far.

Later, something sweet and very faintly vanilla comes forward - maybe the tonka? It mixes with the coconut and remains of the rum and becomes what I hoped Elegba would be. A lot of BPAL fades on me quickly, but the rum gives this one some staying power. Damn, this is sexy. Rum's becoming very hit-or-miss on me lately, but I absolutely love this at every stage. Definite bottle - eventually.

Perversion

In the imp: ohhh, this is lovely. Sweet tonka, coconut, leather and wine with smoke.

Wet on skin: wonderful sweet leather. This is delicious.

Dry on skin: stunning. This is a fantastic mixture of sexy black leather, dry, dark tobacco, a little hint of wine and rum, and the most wonderful tonka note sweetening everything up so nicely. I definitely get the coconut as well, adding it's sweet, dry, pale scent to it all. But I love what the tonka and leather are doing, they are the defining pair of the scent, but tobacco tries to get into the action and make it a threesome…this is such a raunchy, dark scent.

After a while: the tonka strengthens a bit more, the scent is sweeter, there's still that dry bite of tobacco (in here it's like cigars) and that delicious leather undertone, I can't smell as much booze now but it's still sexily sweet and raunchy as ever!

Over time, the tonka gets creamier and almost vanilla-sugar like, the tobacco melts nicely into it, and the scent has incredible throw. Then after a very long time I start to get a moss scent. How unusual. I know the old description of Perversion mentions oak moss, and I'm sure it's in the new version as well.

Verdict: this is one of my 'love at first sniff' scents that wowed me from imp to skin to drydown. Some leather and tobacco scents, whilst gorgeous, can be a little bit masculine, whilst others can be downright stunning, like this. A fabulous black leather note with dry cigar tobacco and a hint of wine and coconut-rum and the most wonderful sweet tonka note ever. This tonka has a rich, deep, very broad sweetness, almost like vanilla on steroids! And it's stunning with the leather. I can see why this is loved, and it will need to be purchased in bottle form very soon!

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Loviatar, Sybaris, De Sade, Elegba

Edited by yeahbutnobut