Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

OMG this smells like HOT MAN, like nuzzling into the stubbly nape of the neck of a sweet broad shouldered lumberjack in his flannel shirt redolent of pipe tobacco next to a camp fire in a forest in the Pacific Northwest while drinking a rum Old Fashioned; not the soda water formaldehyde cherry horror they call an old fashioned in a shitty bar, but one made with 15 year aged rum, muddled tonka infused demerara sugar and chardonnay bitters. I want to eat myself.

Edited by queenshaboo

Perversion is honestly an astonishing scent. It's not exactly my thing (which I largely blame the chardonnay note for) but I'm mesmerized by it. I ordered an imp of it in my very first order, almost a year ago now, and I was blown away by how complex and layered and evocative this scent is. Since then, I've regularly gotten back to it to try it again, hoping that this time it would work for me. I haven't had a lot of luck so far, but tonight it seems to agree with my skin better than it usually does, perhaps we are finally getting somewhere, Perversion and I.  I'll hold to my imp and keep trying, and maybe one day I can wear it and just lounge around, dressed in silks and velvets, just being sultry and stuff. I'd highly recommend that everyone try it, if only for the experience.

I bought a fresh imp of this from the lab.  In the vial, it smells like spiced rum cake.

I put two wand swipes on my wrist, and it continued to smell like rum cake while wet.  What a pleasant surprise!  As it dries down, it develops an absolutely delicious syrupy scent.  Rum spice pancakes were not what I was expecting, but oh, this smells TASTY.  I want to eat my arm.

After a while it morphs into a sweet, smoky tobacco that reminds me of fancy pipe tobacco that one of my college profs liked to smoke.  Delightful.

The longevity on this is ridiculous.  It lasts over 24 hours on me.  It's pleasant overall, but I can only tolerate such a strong, sweet scent for so long.

Edited by Laughing Seagull

Got this at some point in the last 6 months as a frimp. Just tried it (dumped most in a bath, so very diluted, but all of me smells lovely!) & saved a bit for wrists. Really like it! I try not to read about scents before trying (some scents will auto make me pass, but I've found a few I would have passed on I liked & some I would have auto-bought as awful) so I wasn't sure what I was picking up. I kept thinking it seemed like something you'd smell in the autumn. The name told me it was most likely not made for any season, but that was what my brain thought. Something dark, but warm. I couldn't quite figure it out but after a bit thought it was kind of sugar cookie, but not quite (not foodie smelling enough, but sugar cookie was all I could come up with). 

I still am not sure what I am smelling & why I like it, but I saw someone on here compare it to a holiday candle & I realised, that's it! What candle makers think a sugar cookie is. Or what my holiday cocoa & marshmallows body wash is similar to. Whatever that undercurrent is. What stops it being foodie is the leather. I seem to amp that. So, it's a naughty sugar cookie candle (that's fair, better than coal!). 

Either way, very pleasant! I don't think I need a bottle, but enjoyed it! 

Edited by TheLampades

Perversion:

Wet: Initially a rich, foody, curry/fenugreek smell that quickly gives way to the tonka. I can detect the leather and a bright, clear, sweetish note, which I suppose must be the chardonnay.

Dry: On my skin, there’s a weird interplay between the tonka and chardonnay that is very sharp. Very cutting. I don’t necessarily hate it, since it’s memorable, but I’m not sure it’s a way I necessarily want to smell.

After 30 minutes: Just an overly sweet tonka smell on me. Very sugary and rich. Nice gourmand, but I don’t like to wear gourmands.

This is my first ever review for BPAL! 🤩

This scent had me really conflicted to start off with - having read the reviews proclaiming it as smelling like a sexy man, a dominatrix, and a holiday candle, I was surprised to open the imp and get a strong whiff of... vape juice? The Milkman Heritage Smooth (a vanilla tobacco flavour which has now been discontinued), to be specific. I don't vape anymore, but even after a few years that smell seems to still be logged in my memory. I found that the association was a bit too strong to really enjoy the scent, so I abandoned it in favour of my other imps for a while.

I have since learned that a lot of e-cig liquids use tonka as a cheaper substitute for real vanilla; that plus the tobacco must have been the key notes in common.

Obviously the tonka and sweet tobacco are the dominant scents for me. I can also smell rum, kind of reminiscent of Malibu, although the other sweet scents might be contributing to that impression - coconut-adjacent smells rather than actual coconut smells. I can't really detect any chardonnay, and I definitely can't smell any leather. I've spent a lot of time with upholstery, so I thought I'd be able to pick this one, but sadly, no luck.

Perversion is, in actuality, a lovely smell. To my nose it is VERY sweet, but unlike some other scents it seems to have enough depth to pull it off. For me it smells the same in the bottle as it does applied and dried, it has good throw, and it lasts the longest out of all the imps I got, sometimes for more than a day, although I find being followed by an intense sweet smell for a long period of time can be a little tiring for my senses, so I prefer to use it sparingly or mixed with other scents. My partner, who originally said he didn't like it for being too sweet and foody, keeps spontaneously saying I smell nice when I wear it. Overall an enjoyable perfume, despite my initial hesitations. Maybe one to avoid if you've run out of patience for sweet tobacco vape flavours though.

ABSOLUTELY something I HAVE to be in the mood for, it can make me feel sick if I wear this on the wrong day, but man, this can be so sexy! Somebody really sweetly gifted this to me, and I, before that, hadn't looked at this before and it's a nice surprise. Have only just looked at the notes now, after having owned this for over a year, but they make sense. I think the tobacco and leather can be a little too much sometimes, but otherwise this is a very well blended sweet mix of sexy that'll keep ya busy sniffing your arm.

This is primarily a chewy tobacco and sweet tonka on me. I think I get some fruitiness from the chardonnay, but this perfume isn't that boozy to me. The rum isn't that prominent, but it's sweetening things up and adding a little bit of smoke. I don't really get leather.

I can see why people say this is too much for them, it's quite sweet. I like it, but maybe not in warm summer weather.