Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

In the imp, it smelled tangy and spicy and sweet. A little like a spiced rum without the booze (which I guess makes me unique, I'm not getting the alcohol that a lot of other people seem to be picking up on) or mulling spices for mead, or chai tea. When fresh on my skin, is smells like an expensive alcoholic caramel truffle. As it dries, it goes through the Yankee candle stage described by other posters above me, then after a few minutes it starts to smell less artificial and more like straight cloves. A few minutes after the onset of cloves, it becomes a little brighter and sharper and starts to throw further (i can almost smell it on my wrist as I'm typing this) but smells kind of like a pumpkin pie.

Fast forward: it's lost the pumpkin and has returned to vanilla-clove mulled rum and seems to be holding there.

ETA: Overall I like this scent. I'd give it a 7/10 for me personally. I'll be trying it on my husband when I get a chance, to see what it does with his skin. It's not something I think I'd wear too often just because it's not my style, but I don't think it's bad at all. For someone who likes warm, rummy, spicy scents it would be nice, and I think it might suit me better during a real Autumn.

On first smell, I actually liked the rum in this, and it definitely has a note of perversion to it. Well done, BPAL, this one shall go in my sexy collection.

Double post - mods please remove!

Edited by freyasfae

I would never ever choose ths myself as a scent to wear as perfume for myself,

but this is why I keep loving imps so much! It surprises me every time

when I get something that I find weird totally weird from reading the notes alone :P

The name does fit me whehe the notes are thngs I really don't look for in my BPAL!
And stil, this is uper good on me! So yummy, I feel edible LOL

Leather and tonka are heavy and strong but it doesn'make m sick or anything, it is sexyyyy as HELL

I am telling you girls, use this and your lover will be like melted wax in your grabby hands :tongue:

just got an imp of this yesterday and been gone from BPAL for a year due to rl so happy being back, i was half afraid of this when ordering but if you dont try youll never find what you like or dont. Notes i was afraid of in the imp and on was the rum and chardonnay, i love leather though and tonka. when its on, its the most beautiful sweet scent of tonka, i dont get much rum at all which is great, ill be getting a big bottle of this, it lasts quite long on my skin too, around 4-6 hours

One of the most beloved men's fragrances that straddles the mainstream/niche line would be Thierry Mugler's Pure Havane, a cherry and vanilla cigar leaf fragrance that is virtually impossible not to like. Perversion, which actually came out seven years before Pure Havane, treads eerily similar ground but with a more robust character. After an hour, the rum soaked cherry-gummyworm loosens its grip and allows the warmth of pipe tobacco and honeyed tonka bean to steal the show. Superb projection and longevity carry this phase of the scent on and on, which is all you could really ask for. The tobacco note alone is something everyone should experience for themselves. 5/5

Edited by nok

:wub3: Mmmm. I have a very thoroughly aged imp of perversion, and it's absolutely mouthwatering. A favorite! SO sexy, "adult", and 'naughty' without being cloying, fumy, pungent, or astringent, in the least. This blend has one of the absolute best throws of any BPAL blend I have tried to date, with a gorgeous long-term morphing cycle. It is sweet, spicy, smoky, sensual, warm, and (I find) feminine (though there is a toasty almost wood-like note in it I think fellows who like sweeter fragrances would amp well).

After a good 4 or 5 hours, what was once a bright spicy booze-soaked cherry wood (chardonnay playing with the leather?) with tendrils of incense and good cigar tobacco, has become a warm and fuzzy brown sugar with lightly spiced vanilla and tobacco flecks, in a completely non-foody way somehow. :wub2:

Mmm, tasty, sensual, comforting! This is everything I hoped tobacco, rum, and tonka would smell like, and I love how nothing here is foody. Very grounded and complex. Captivating!

Perversion is really proof for me that there are no real death notes with BPAL. Rum is usually a death note for me, while tobacco, leather, crystalline chardonnay, and tonka are usually pretty good on me. Fortunately, because those are good on me, this scent rocks! And not because the rum is largely absent - I can still detect the rum, but in combination with everything else, this is a rum I enjoy. And this scent is most definitely sexy.

Champagne and tobacco notes rarely work for me, which is why I scratched Perversion off my wish list. The lab knew better and frimped me. This is lovely on me and completely different from the many GC scents I've smelled.

There's a hint of fruitiness, but it's subdued, almost like apricot preserves or an infusion in the alcohol. The leather is soft and supple, the tobacco smooth and more like pipe tobacco. The tonka has the warmth and comfort of vanilla, but it's own unique aroma, and a sweetness a man could easily wear.

When I was little, I would go to a high class pipe shop with my dad. There were gleaming rows of glass and wooden cabinets housing crystal decanters and expensive liquors, a walk in humidor, and counters with canister upon canister of different pipe tobaccos that I was constantly opening and sniffing. The place smelled fabulous and Perversion smell just like it. Definitely a keeper.

At first I hated this, but I find myself compelled to keep sniffing my arm. At first it was similar to a leather jacket sitting in an ashtray and soaked in stale booze. But now the rum is rich and not too boozy or smoky, and the tobacco and leather are creating a nice gritty base along side it. The chardonnay and tonka sweeten it just enough and add a touch of lightness to these heavy notes. Okay I'm in love.

I bought a bottle based on reviews. At first sniff I was worried that I wouldn't be too keen on this. In the bottle I smell sweet/spicy/foody leather, incense, honey. I amp incense so was a tad worried about it. When first on it smelled quite foody, and I could taste it on the tip of my tongue. The leather was strong. As it dried it smelled like it would be a wonderful perfume to wear in Autumn, spicy, comforting, but still with the energy and zest of Summer behind it. The leather stayed and merged with the food, thankfully the incense stayed at the back giving a slight headiness to everything. It brought to mind a sweet, red cherry on top of a dark chocolate gateau, that you are eating off the chest of your lover while surrounded by leather instruments of pleasure :tongue: I wouldn't wear this on a Summer's day, would like to try it again in the Autumn. Definitely want to try this in the bedroom. Good throw, good longevity.

This has chardonnay? I don't smell that at all. This does however have that skin musk scent that is LOVELY and I have to say, I am crazy about this! I find it very sexy and even gender-neutral which I really like. I guess it is a foodie scent but one that doesn't amp sweet, but smoke, vanilla and booze. LOVE.

Chardonnay? With the rest of this heavy stuff? I'm curious...

Oof. This blend doesn't mess around. It's heavy and rum-syrupy and darkly tobacco'ed and smoky, sickly sweet, and makes me think of pure pirate sweat, running off an unwashed, sun-darkened body in murky rivers, and it's gross, and I kinda like it, and kinda want to scrape it off. Mostly, I like it.

I do smell the chardonnay -- it smells like a faint sparkling chardonnay. I wouldn't have found the tonka without the notes list, and I think it's largely to credit for drawing me in, but this isn't quite for me.

I have two bottles of Perversion, one from many years ago (not sure when I got it) and one from October 2016. Comparing them, I prefer the older, much aged fragrance to the newer, five-month old fragrance. The older bottle is deeper, richer, and more... perverted--in a good way!... somehow, both in bottle and on skin. Its leather has come out more than the newer bottle, which to me is all tobacco and rum, and, (unfortunately,) reminds me of my grandfather, a chain-smoking, alcoholic pervert (yuck). I suppose the name is apt, if nothing else, for both bottles, though for completely different reasons. :) I'm hoping my newer bottle will age as well as my old bottle, whose notes are more sophisticated and complex, although mostly linear on both accounts.

Old batch:

In bottle: tobacco; tonka

Wet on skin: tonka, tobacco, rum. Although I'm sure I owe some of the sweetness to rum, tonka and tobacco dominate through hour four. After the rum and tonka begin to die away, I smell some of the leather, I think, but it's barely there and extremely hard to place. Through hour six, it's a round scent, and I feel like I'm spinning circles on the dance floor wearing it.
Drydown: Soft pipe tobacco. Fades to nothing after about eight hours of wear.

New batch:

In bottle: tobacco

Wet on skin: tobacco and rum... maybe some tonka, but it amps the sweet factor. I feel like there's a spicy clove note, but it's very faint, and it's unlisted if it's there. Maybe it's a spiced rum absolute they're using? Not sure. Anyway: Perversion is fairly linear with no morph through hour six. I could take or leave this bottle---the tobacco is slightly cloying in the way a fresh batch of pipe tobacco strikes the nose. Nothing tempers its sweetness nor adds complexity in the way the older bottle has some layers. I smell like an old man, confirmed by one of my students saying "It smells like my pop pop in here!" There you have it: I'm not the only one reminded of my grandfather. (Hopefully they're not all dirty old men though!)
Drydown: tobacco. Hasn't changed much at all. Rum might have faded away, as I no longer smell the spice. There's maybe a little tonka left, but still, it adds to the sweetness. It's full force, the tobacco, until it literally disappears in a very binary 1/0 way. It's there and then it's gone.

Take away? I prefer a much more aged bottle of Perversion, but I'm not holding on to my new bottle long enough to see how it develops further. I'm chucking it into my GC swap box!

I tried Perversion this morning. I agree with the other reviewers who have commented on it smelling like pipe tobacco, which I loved and miss -- I mean, it's great that men are no longer getting cheek cancers but sad that the smell of good pipe smoke has largely gone from this world. I have no idea what tonka smells like, but I got a general warm unisex rum-tobacco-leather scent. On drydown, it reminded me a little of Follow Me Boy, but less strong on me. But at least two hours after application -- and I have dry skin that just sucks up fragrance -- I held out my wrist at brunch to a friend and her boyfriend, who were quite appreciative -- the scent was faint but still lovely. I couldn't remember what it was called at that moment, but after another mimosa it came to me that I was wearing Perversion, which made us all laugh. I think I have seduced a new BPALite into the fold.

Perversion, you are a delight!!!

I received this as an imp and figured I'd might as well smell the imp... and oh wow!

On: vanilla, has warmth, something very masculine about it. Tobacco, rum. 

Drydown: Delicious warm tonka, sweet rummy tobacco. Definitely a fantastic androgynous scent ❤️

I don't really individually recognise the leather or Chardonnay on me--it all just blends together beautifully. 

I totally purchased a bottle!

Update: Tried this scent on my boyfriend and it came out as sickly sweet and floral on him. Luckily for me I get to keep the whole bottle ;) It's absolutely one of my favorite scents from BPAL and the bottle version smells just as lovely.

Edited by follis

In the imp: SWEET! Sweet and sharp, reminds me of a Bath & Body Works holiday fragrance. Almost a sophisticated berry and spice blend. It's probably the chardonnay confusing my nose. I can smell the leather underneath if I concentrate, but the other notes are absent.

Wet: Spiced rum in a cranberry cocktail. I don't get any smoke, no tonka, no tobacco. Maybe a hint of leather?

Dry: My wife summed it up perfectly: "It smells like a dried out christmas wreath." I had to wash it off after 30 minutes because it was giving me a headache. It smells better on my wife (different body chemistry and all) but she's honestly not a scent hound like I am so it's pretty much wasted.

I really can't figure this one out. Did I get a mistake? Were the labels switched up? Is chardonnay THAT powerful? Where's the coconut everyone else caught? This one's going on my swap list. I really can't make myself like this.

This one went rum heavy on me right away. Rum and wine are probably the strongest notes for me, followed by leather. It smells a little sweet and a little raunchy. Like a particularly eventful night out. Alcoholic and sweet notes are two things that I can be very picky about, and I think the combination really doesen't work for me. I'd love to be more descriptive, but because it makes me smell like a rowdy night at a bar, I'm not in a good place to give it a fair shake.

On me, this smells like coconut meatr (that's probably the tonka and tobacco interacting) with a side of tobacco and a smooth, rather than sharp bit of leather. It's too sweet/foody for my mileage, so into the swap pile it goes.

I bought this on a whim because the notes intrigued me; really glad I did! It's become one of my favorites.

In the bottle: Gingersnaps cranked up to 11, but steering less 'baked good' and more 'pure essence'

Right after application: Warms up a bit, still crazy gingersnap-y. There's an underlying smokey sweetness to it though- a little bit like vanilla tobacco.

Dry: The gingersnap settles, blending further with that vanilla tobacco scent. A little sparkle of chardonnay comes through, pulling with it the leather.

I adore this scent. It makes me feel powerful. It's sweet and sultry, warm and smokey. It has crazy long throw on me as well- a little really does go a long way.

This is one I would never have gotten myself, but the lab gave me a frimp and I'm very glad they did.

Wet, it smells like slightly burnt, warm, brown sugar. (That would be the rum.) A little later the leather comes peeking out, and there is something sweet going on. There is also a hint of tobacco that I don't care for at all.

Dry, still a lot of brown sugar, backed by leather and something woody. There is also a hint of spice, and the tobacco disappears (phew). It is quite a masculine scent, but in a sweet kind of way that I can totally pull off.

On the whole, the scent is rough but also comforting; perverted in a most charming way. Despite it not being entirely my style, it's a lovely scent, and I will be keeping the imp. I think I'll save it (and age it) for the autumn, when it's my beloved leather coat's time of year to be worn. :smilenod:

Oh, this makes me sad.

I got this for the tonka, rum and tobacco, and both in the bottle and on my skin I smell absolutely none of those things. It's all saccharine chardonnay and an awful burnt plastic leather smell; I had to scrub it off after about twenty minutes because the scent actually got more burnt plastic as I wore it. Leather's never done that on my skin before, and of all these notes only the chardonnay is new to me. Maybe it doesn't play nice with these other notes on my skin?

Maybe aging will make the heavier notes come forward. We'll see.

I wanted to like this so badly, and I almost did, but...

In the bottle: I was hesitant, because all I got on sniffing was chardonnay, and a hint of rum lurking dangerously behind it.

5 to 10 minute dry down: Quiets down on my skin, becoming a lovely rich mix of tonka and rum with the tobacco and chardonnay dancing back and forth around it.

1 hour: Soft tonka with hints of leather when sniffed directly. That I liked! Unfortunately... whenever I move my hands or arms, I get whiffs of something that reads as rotting fruit. I'm pretty sure this is the chardonnay note, and it HATES my body chemistry. HATES it.

Traded off to a friend whose body played much more nicely. Wish it had worked, I loved the name and I liked the tonka/leather/tobacco notes mixed when that was there!

I adore this one. I received it as a frimp over a year ago, and while a lot of frimps are huge misses, immediately I was like "whoa, this is a keeper!" On me it is dark and sweet but not sickly so...lovely rum and tobacco and just a hint of the leather. It is VERY sexy on me and it's the scent I wear that is guaranteed to bring my husband running. I have 2 bottles and like a reviewer above, I do like my older one better as it seems to have much more depth but unlike a lot of blends this one is just gorgeous brand new too.

So this is Christmas... and what have you done.

Wet, my Immediate impression was Overpowering Holiday Candle. Probably my least favorite scent, and here it is punchin' me in the face. It's all the scents on the label turned up to 11 but hardest on the spiced rum. Like the olfactory version of swigging a large glug of Captain Morgan and having some of it get stuck in your sinuses.
Dry: Thankfully the chaos seems to calm down rather quickly. Still getting those powerful candle notes but they're receding from the blast they once were. Smoke and tobacco are coming to the fore, some of the leather. These notes always amp nicely on me and they're why I wanted to try this blend. There's a lil bit of the tangy sharpness (guessing that's chardonnay) but barely detectable on me. I'm liking it better now but there's still a burnt, cloying cinnamon-bun type sweetness floating everything else (guessing that's still the rum) that's throwing it into the Foodie category and it's going to keep me from really enjoying it. Fans of gourmands would probably love this though.
Ground-in: This is a holiday party right before the hangover kicks in. Sweet cakes, too much booze, etc. I attend one each year that is this scent personified -- drunken debauchery followed by days of recovery. It's so much like it that I get some woozy nausea just from the association. I mean, kudos to Beth once again for nailing the concept.
Once it's almost gone, I'm getting strong Renn Faire vibes, it's all glazed cinnamon bun and roasted chestnuts. Not bad, but not me. I would really like to nuzzle someone wearing this. But when it's on me I can't quite carry it.
Confirmed when I tried to wash this off. The rum has claimed me and will not release. I am one with the rum. RIP.
Edited by supreme-cort

I hate leather more than anything, so I was really dreading trying this one. I'm happy to report that the leather must be faint, because I can't smell it at all! What I get is deep, dark rum and, funnily enough, brown sugar. This one ended up being quite foody and sweet, and a very pleasant surprise! 8/10 - sweet and rich.