Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

This starts off as a very pleasant sweetness with an underlying current of musk (and a very sweet musk too). The whole blend was a lot lighter and prettier than I thought it would be. The tobacco and leather notes really scared me away from this -- both perfumes I've tried with those notes before didn't work on me at all (Roadhouse and The White Rider). This is almost like Lust mixed with syrup -- they both have that delicious musk note, but Perversion is a lot sweeter.

As it dries, the musk slowly disappears, until I just get a very warm kind of sugariness behind. It's nowhere near as complex on me as on other people, but I still love it. What can I say? My nose has a sweet tooth. This is very much everything I'd hoped Goblin would be. Except whereas Goblin was honey sweetness with a weird sort of herbal tone to it in the wet stage, this just has very nice musk.

SCORE: 10/10

One of my favorite BPALs! Sexy - sweet and spicy. This is what I smell: Chocolate, vanilla, musk, cinnamon, and leather.

I actually wore this to a dungeon (hey, don't judge - I blame the perfume) and it rocked. It's definitely dark and heavy, so I have to use a light hand when applying it. I let a friend smell this on my wrist and she wouldn't let my wrist go.

i wasn't sure what to think of this at first. i wasn't getting sage, leather, or tobacco. then the "coconut" came out and it was pleasant enough. now i'm getting a very strong, sharp cinnamon. is there even cinnamon in here? my skin amps spice, unfortunately, so this now smells like someone sprayed glade room freshener after applying sunscreen.

At first, it's somewhat minty, heavy, spicy, but very thick. I think it would be perfect on a guy, but on me it doesn't work. It's also kind of herbal/ medicinal. The scent throws me off each time. It also kind of reminds me of a pumpkin spice candle.

Not my favorite. I think I'm a floral/light kind of girl.

Wet: Rum for sure. i was worried about the booze notes, because they often go rancid on me, but this is buttery and almost butterscotch in it's scent. Very foody.

Drying: Finally starting to get the leather and tobacco, making this a much less foody and much more me type of scent. It is still keeping that strong caramel/coffee top note that is almost identical to the one I get in Misk U.

Dry: Still very foody. The leather's almost gone now, leaving this very smoky note. This is like Hellfire and Misk U had a baby. Perhaps the foody feeling is tonka, which many people say smells like vanilla. It is sexy for sure, but I'd probably go for Hellfire or Black Rider before this because my preference for leather/sexy/smoky scents runs typically towards the more masculine. The imp will hang around though.

In the imp: BOOZE. Booze and tobacco.

Wet: More boooooze and a soft leather. This stage worried me because it was really, really quite alcoholic - I imagine it's what waking up after one too many drinks smells like. I get more Chardonnay than rum, though I can pick out both notes.

Dry: This is INCREDIBLE after it's dried down. It's all tonka and tobacco smoothness, chewy and almost caramelly. I could not stop huffing my wrist.

Verdict: Imp is a keeper. Will require a full-day test to figure out whether or not to upgrade.

In the Bottle: Crystalline boozey goodness!

Wet on skin: Leather & tobacco. I am in love!

Dry down: I can smell the tonka now, but there is that coconutty feel to it, not sure what that is?

Verdict: I will need 43753859798 backups.

I purchased an imp of this recently because tobacco/tonka is one of my favorite combos and I love it. :heart: I have no idea why but it smells like Verdandi to me, only with tonka instead of apple. Dark and sweet and deliciously smooth with booze and leather notes that behave themselves. I was hoping for more tobacco, once it dries the tobacco almost entirely disappears, but it smells pretty great regardless. I may need a big bottle of this!

Um this is gorgeous. I mean, REALLY a gorgeous. It's not something I ever would have picked from the description, but thanks to the lab I got a lovely little free imp. I mostly get the tobacco, but on me it mostly smells of vanilla sheesha. There's something else there that grounds the scent & I'm guessing that must be the tonka. LOVE

I will be wanting a bottle & a bottle of the coconutty proto version.

Why do you do this to me bpal? You make me need things I didn't even know I liked!!!

Edited by TorchedEarth

I am shocked that I have yet to review this. I've been forgetting to review scents for quite some time, apparently, since I've had this since some time around at least Christmas-time 2013. You'd think I would remember to review the ones I really love...

I always love tobacco and tonka notes, and boozy scents are also wonderful on me, so I was sure I'd love this as soon as I found the notes. I was not disappointed in the least, though I was surprised to find that the combination of notes in this turned the normally spiced-vanilla scent I'm used to thinking of tonka as into a cocoa-ish note. Not at all problematic, because I like chocolate notes as well, but definitely interesting.

Perversion is a rich scent on me, like a spicy dark rum chocolate with a smooth blend of vanilla-laced tobacco grounding it. Not sure if I'm getting the chardonnay, but there's a dry note that might be it, and the leather is sort of there as a warm, sort of suede note behind everything else. Delicious, sexy, warm, and yet very snuggly and mellow. It's a little bit on the heavy side for wearing in warm weather, but this is totally one of my fall/winter scents.

I want to like this, I really do. But I'll be honest, all I'm getting from the imp is 'Yankee Candle'. Mind you, it's a nice, spicy candle that I wouldn't mind burning in the upcoming autumn chill, but it's still very.... Yankee Candle anyway. It's pleasant, kind of sweet, very spicy (enough that it's making my skin itch a little, though not burn or welt), and kind of alcoholic, but I can't deny a certain artificial quality to it all that is what's really making me think 'autumn-release candle shop product'. I'm going to blame the rum/alcohol for that, since it's also an impression I took from the Tiki Lounge blends... they all had that weird artificial quality that kind of ruined a lot of other good notes.

It also doesn't seem very unique or distinct in itself. It's nice, yes, but like a lot of other things I've smelled.

I have had an imp of Perversion for about 18 months without writing a review of it. Here goes:

In the imp: Sweet rum. SWEET.

Wet: Still the same sweet rum. I like sweet scents, but this is almost sickeningly sweet.

After this has been on my skin for a few minutes, I smell a slight creaminess, probably the tonka, under the sweetness of the rum.

Oddly enough, as this dries down, it smells better when I smell it through my sleeve (I applied the oil to the inside of my elbows as well as the back of my hand) rather than right against my skin. That layer of fabric tempers the sweetness.

After a while, I smell a little bit of leather. The tonka emerges more and more, and some of the sweetness dissipates, so I’m left with leather-tinged vanilla rum. I like this phase, but I don’t think I want to go through the sickly-sweet rum phase to get to it.

Edited by lucycat

this is coconut rum dominant with a touch of leather. I get some of the Chardonnay. it's bracing and citric in a nice uplifting way. if the tonka is in there at all it's definitely just a subtle background note.

since this perfume is pretty much a booze single note, I feel like I smell like I've been drinking when I wear it. I like to wear my pearl earrings when I wear this scent because I like to think they make me look a bit more...pure than my choice of perfume would suggest. :lol:

Perversion smells like gingerbread. It's spicy and almost foody, a bit like Shub-Niggurath. I don't get any booze in this whatsoever, and the tobacco was very well-behaved (it tends to take over on my skin in other blends). The leather is quite subdued too, it just gives a kind of cool, slick base for the sweet spicy top notes. I have no idea what makes this spicy, it smells like there's ginger or nutmeg in here for sure, or maybe cinnamon. It's a bit perfumey on the drydown, and kind of sharp.

It's a nice scent, very surprising since it really doesn't smell like the listed notes. But I have Gingerbread Snake and Chimera for my spicy needs, and this isn't really special enough for me to keep around.

Wet: Booze, booze, booze. One night (very long ago) I got extremely drunk off of Black Russians. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had consumed 9 of them. Perversion at this stage is what was coming out of my pores.

After an hour: I agree with Nachtwulf above - Yankee Candle's Fall Lineup. Intensely sweet.

As the day wears on, the sickening-sweetness is calming down, rounding out and getting creamier. It deepens and I start to notice the leather and a slight smokiness.

I keep getting whiffs of something crazy-sexy and I think it's probably me.

I wish Perversion smelled like this right from the get-go, because I don't know if I can get past that first phase.

It doesn't seem to have a lot of throw, it stayed pretty close to my skin, but the staying power was 10+ hours.

If you're looking for a well-behaved leather and aren't afraid of sweetness, definitely try this one.

This is seriously good, people! I like it way more than I thought I would, as I am not usually in for the darker scents.

There is a faint booziness shrouding the scent, but nothing too overwhelming if you're worried about that. The rest of the notes blend seamlessly together to create a warm, decadent and deep scent, perfect for the scent description.

As it dries down, the vanilla peeks out a bit more and sweetens the whole blend. It doesn't ever go sweet-sweet, though, but remains perfectly dark in an almost gleaming sort of way, evoking imagery of deep, dark velvet and leather and dripping wax candles.

I might need a big bottle of this in my life! :smile:

I am a total noob at these things, so don't expect a very good review. Also I am a guy if that changes things in some way.

This smells amazing. Somehow luxurious and sensual and elegant, and very sexy. I wouldn't call it especially feminine or masculine, but rather a unisex scent. Like what a very attractive person might smell like. Not a daytime scent, definitely nighttime. Dark and exquisite, heady, and somehow really sexy.

I can smell something alcoholic, possibly the rum, a touch of leather, that sweetness that seems to be the tonka (I had no idea what tonka was, if it is this sweet vanilla-like smell then I'm a fan), something exotic too.

If it were a song it'd be this one.

Very strange, but I like it!

Cigarette smoke, vanilla spice cake, and fruit?

Can't identify the fruit. Reminds me a little of Dragon's Hide (although not as firey) and Santo Domingo (probably the rum + tobacco), but while something went a little soapy-citrus-sour with Santo Domingo, this is the right balance and blend of yummy, smokey weirdness. No leather, as far as I can tell.

Smokey, spicy, sweet! Not what I was expecting at all.

In the imp: Sweet tobacco, smells a bit like Hellfire does in the bottle.

Wet on my skin: Sweet, almost like caramel. Tobacco, sweet rum, and tonka and just a bit of leather.

Dry: This is pretty when it's wet, but OH MY GOODNESS gorgeous when it's dry and after being on for half an hour or more!!! It's gone from sweet, mellow tonka/tobacco to this utterly gorgeous, spicy, slightly boozy mix of those plus just a hint of warm leather. I could swear there's cinnamon or baked ginger or something in this, even though neither of those are listed notes. It's a rich, glittery, sugar-sparkly reddish brown in my mind. The Lab sent two free imps of this with my last order, and I'd already ordered a tester imp with the next order, so now I'll have THREE. I'd hoped I would like this since I'll have three imps, but this...is beyond my expectations. Whoah. Definitely in my top 10, maybe even top 5 now.

Got this as a frimp from a forum member. This scent is very similar to Spellbound which I also tested recently. It also has some heady notes that give me a little bit of a headache. Not sure what is doing that but it is.

The scent isn't that bad though. It is a sexy, smoky, boozy, dark, but musky type scent. It smells like a dirty dark bar or club might smell like. I don't know it's kinda hard to desribe for me. It's not my typical foodie scent but wanted to try out some GC scents since I usually ignore them. But sadly the two I tried are not working on me. This had good throw but only lasted about an hour.

Perversion starts off very sweet, with a heavy dose of tonka and a sparkling, fizzy champagne quality, along with sweet rum. The sparkling champagne is a higher-pitched note that stops it from becoming a big mass of syrupy sweetness, and it contrasts with the warmth of the tonka and tobacco. It dries down with a very mildly smoky quality that also cuts the sweetness, and is mostly sweet, very boozy tonka and tobacco with a little undercurrent of wet leather.

When I first got the imp a few years ago, it was way too sweet for me and I was totally scared off. After a few years of aging, it's a bit tamer, a bit smokier, and the leather has emerged to balance out the sweet tonka. It's still sweet and decadent, but not sickeningly sweet. I like it a lot now as a bold, sexy evening scent. The sweetness made it seem feminine to me when it was fresh, but the added smokiness and leather from aging has made it a bit more unisex.

Wore this today -- couldn't remember if I'd tested this imp before, but I knew from the notes it couldn't be bad. This was all vanilla and rum with soft spices on me. Delicious! I got subtle whiffs of the tobacco and maybe leather there too, but they weren't strong at all. A super sexy scent, but could also be worn every day. This has the potential to be a new favorite...

I decided to test a couple of imps today and because so many seem to love Perversion I started with that one. As soon as it warmed on my skin I knew I didn't like it. I left it for a few minutes, but I had to wash it off. I had to wash three times before I didn't smell it unless I put my nose on my skin. Then I read the notes and knew I should have done that first: tobacco and I are not friends At all.

This is amazing at first, and for a split second it reminds me a wee bit of Red Lantern.

Then the sweetness amps up. I still get the lovely smoky tobacco note that I love so much, but the dominant scent is sweet - almost grape? Maybe the Chardonnay? Boy that smoky note is sexy though.

I had hoped the sweetness might burn off a bit, but it's only amping further. It's so unfortunate because there is something I really like underneath, but it's just too sweet and "grapey" for me.

Rum and some tobacco in the bottle and on first application, but eventually it just becomes this burnt smoke note. No tonka. Disappointing. It must be the Lab's leather note; my skin just hates it. :(