Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
euterpe414

Ligur

Dry olibanum, black moss, soggy ti, khus, and opoponax.

I'm getting vetiver right off the bat. This is a dark, dank blend after it dries. I'm getting mostly vetiver, but it's like damp, moldy dirty vetiver. There's a sour-like quality to the blend, that is not sitting well with me, but not surprising, as it is fitting to what it's supposed to smell like. Not for me, but nice to try.

scorchy, smoky, smoldering, syrupy, resiny goodness with a faint hint of fennel/ licorice.

this is strong stuff. I'm glad to finally have a bottle in my hands. ligur is the darkest and sludgiest-smelling bpal I've yet encountered, pulled from the cinders of a campfire late at night.

eta this stuff stays strong for hours and hours.

Edited by annemathematics

Charred campfire remains. Thick, chewy and blackened vetiver. Smoke hatrshness and (huge sad), zero opoponax. Much too heavy for me, invokes head pain.

Very demon like and fitting, but produces the same headache that new car smell does. Almost swear there was leather in here based on my reaction.

Wet: Lots of what smells like vetiver, even though it's not listed, balanced out by sweet syrupy opoponax. I sometimes find vetiver sour, but this is the sweeter, smokier variety. It really does smell like fire and brimstone. It has enough sweetness to be pleasant on me, though I am not sure I could wear it.

As it dries, a really sweet black licorice note comes out of nowhere, and this starts to remind me quite a bit of Black Annis.

Dry: Still reminds me a bit of Black Annis, but it's smokier, and a bit of sourness has crept in, spoiling it for me. Not great on me, really, though not horrible.

In the decant: The opoponax stands out to me the most, but I can also smell the olibanum (frankincense), moss, tea, and grassy khus. There’s also a bit of spice to this one. I wonder if the tea is spiced?

Wet: I’m getting lots of spice (I am thinking red ginger and cinnamon), opoponax, and black tea leaves.

Dry: The moss, resins, khus (vetiver), and soggy ti are the main players now. The spice is still present, but it is not as strong as it was during the wet phase.

After a while, it becomes greener and earthier. I mostly get the moss, vetiver, soggy ti, and opoponax with some frankincense in the background. The moss and vetiver end up being the strongest notes, and they’re too much for me.

Verdict: This is a really dark, earthy scent. It is too dark and masculine for me, but it’s certainly fitting for Ligur!

Ligur is black, heavy, charred, dirty -- and one of those scents I smell in the vial and think, I'm really going to put this on my skin?  And when I do, it's not good, for at least an hour.  It's kind of a charry-tarry mossy vetiver mess, perfect for a duke of hell, not exactly what I want to smell like.  Gradually the vetiver calms down and I get more of the frank and opoponax, and it's really pretty, but it takes over an hour to get there on me.  If it could start out this way or travel there faster, I'd be into it.  Definitely masculine and dark.  

VERY reminiscent of Brimstone (but less intense) - dark, damp, thickly smoky. Scorched and wilted herbs and the suggestion of incense.