Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
girlygirl

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Gosh I love warm sunshiney scents.

I can't say Et Lux Fuit enough times. ELF ELF ELF. <love> But, uhm, don't love it too much. I'm enjoying being able to grab ever-more backup bottles at below lab-price. :P

To keep recommending LEs, Jacob's Ladder is also very sunny to me, as is Sportive Sun.

Up until recently I would also have added Tarot: The Sun, which is relatively recently discontinued so you might be able to grab a bottle. I find it to be warm ambery citrus sunshine.

In terms of GCs, my favorite warm happy scents are Thaleia (honey and apricots), O (amber and vanilla), and Antique Lace (linen/musky vanilla). I'm also a big fan of Fairy Market (grassy/incensey/sweet/whoknows). If you prefer a bit of spice with your sun, I'd also recommend The Lion (warm dry amber) or Basthet (lightly spicy amber).

So--I think maybe if people have a scent that just makes them feel good, no matter what the notes, this might work.

I think that's very true! No matter how many times I hear how good geranium and rose geranium are for SAD and PMS, if they are dominant notes in a blend, I feel like I am trying to swallow some kind of thick, nasty medicine. But amber and vanilla? May or may not have any proven therapeutic qualities, but they definitely me feel all better.

Also, I thought I'd post links to some related threads that may be interesting or helpful - BPAL recommendations to help with depression as well as using TALs to improve mental health.

As the mod for this section, I don't mind if TAL talk spills over here - so I can definitely second those recs for White Light, which is a real mood lifter for me, as is Lionheart. They smell very different, but both have a warm and comforting feel to me. A few years ago my usual November-onset SAD was accompanied by a significant loss and a huge health scare for my husband, and Lionheart was a life saver.

If you can locate it, Tarot: The Star is a scent that screams "summer" to me. It's like a day at the beach, coconutty and sort of citrusy. It was discontinued though (But maybe you can find some... it hasn't been discontinued that long)

Also, my big hug scent is Antique Lace, but it's more "comforting" than uplifting to me.

I just found my little imp of Thalia, from the Gratiae-- representing "good cheer," with plumeria, pear and white champagne. It's quite cheerful and uplifting, living up to its description.

I heard from Beth. :P

She says the following notes may help offset SAD:

bergamot, geranium, grapefruit, jasmine, and lemon

She mentions Moxie and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. She also cautions even if an oil is recommended, don't use it if you don't like it because it won't be effective.

And she reminded me to take my vitamins. I feel loved! :D

:D This made me giggle. Beth is such a cutie. I do agree with White Light or, for a GC, Water of Notre Dame--it smells like soft, comforting sunshine to me, and it's a Voodoo oil for calm/peaceful feelings. I love it.

Baobhan Sith. Baobhan Sith. Baobhan Sith. :D

*reads description* Mmmm, grapefruit and tea... that would do it, yeah.

I'm starting to think Phantom Queen might be a good SAD blend. I'm one of those people who doesn't see a battle goddess in that one at all. It's more like a sunny spring meadow before the armies get there. :P

i don't have SAD, so ymmv, but...

one to tie, two to win is seriously summer in a bottle. it smells exactly like sitting in the grass on a breezy, warm, sunny summer day while making dandelion chains.

unfortunately it's LE and may be hard to find. you would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands!

As a fellow SAD sufferer, I have to say that every time I open up my little vial of Vampire Tears, it perks me up pretty quickly. I love the grapefruit in it.

It's a shame it smells better in the container than it does on my skin. Damn body chemistry makes it smell too powdery ... :-(

When I need some sunshine in a bottle, tea, citrus and amber seem to work for me.

Bakeneko - Warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Et Lux Fuit - golden amber, heliotrope, vanilla musk, carnation, daisy and sunflower bouquet, neroli, lemon peel, ylang ylang and honeycomb

Mr. Jacquel - Golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices

Croquet!!! Seriously!

Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.

This is such a sweetly cheerful scent, but it never gets sickly sweet. It's interesting to note that it has a number of scents recommended by Beth to help manage SAD. I think the patchouli and sage ground it, and the rose and musk smooth it all out. I'm constantly surprised by how much I love this blend.

Great stuff!

N.

I've been using Black Cat to give me the little kick in the pants sunshine jolt I need during the winter. It invariably makes my spirit feel lighter and less weighed down. Layering it over O makes it warmer and a touch creamy.

I'm surprised no one else has suggested Embalming Fluid. On me, that's immediate summer sunshine, hammock, and lemonade all rolled into one.

I find neroli and geranium oil to be very effective in terms of aromatherapy...

TKO is good for me, and Mouse's Sad Long Tale is :P..I don't know what it is about it, or what notes, but it makes me smile when I have it on. O is another one--it makes me feel cozy and loved. When I first started getting sick, I slathered myself with O and cuddled up in bed and it made me feel better.

(This isn't bpal, but i have to say that Arcana's Sweet Trade smells exactly like Lush's Happy for Sad, which really did make me smile and cheered me right up.)

ETA: I don't know that I for sure have SAD, but it sure as hell seems like it.

Edited by willowtreeling

Spring has sprung and I am joyful! :P

But here are my winter findings:

Vampire Tears, Ahathoor, Hony Mone, Stress Relief, and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo are all mood lifters for me. Basically citrus and jasmine are my friends.

Dorian smelled yummy but made me sneeze.

Edited by girlygirl

Sign in to follow this