Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
girlygirl

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) so winters are difficult for me. I am taking advantage of what Western medicine can offer, but find it lacking. Since BPAL's TKO helps me sleep, I'm wondering if there are any SAD sufferers out there who can recommend a BPAL to help me get through the winter.

I PMed Beth this question, but then I realized she is probably swamped preparing for WC.

What works for you in these dark days?

for me, it's scents with grapefruit or linden. there's just something about those that makes me think of spring and summer. the unicorn is the first one that pops into my head but i know that there have been a few other scents that made me think of summer when i applied them.

I just retested Phantasm, which is verbena, green tea, jasmine, and something I'm forgetting, and it's very bright and fresh and green and cheery - it really smelled like spring/summertime to me.

Now, whether it would have any effect, I don't know. Maybe some other of the Panaceas? Also, have you looked into TALs? I know there's a Joy blend which sounds like a good antidote to SAD, and Anthelion also is designed to ease depression (and smells WONDERFUL!).

I highly recommend Block Buster - it's helping tremendously in my battle against winter malaise. I'd also second anything with grapefruit, or any citrusy note. The kicker for me is that it has to have some sort of warm, grounding spice or incense - Mag Mell & Shub come to mind. I'm a hard-core kapha (ayurveda, anyone?), and I need both a cheery bright element & something with some heat to it to get my oily cold butt in gear :P

I tend to gravitate towards comfort scents when I'm feeling low.

Alice is awesome because it's like a mix of gingerbread cookie and chai tea. It reminds me of my grandmother and makes me feel like I'm wrapped up in a big warm hug.

Nocnitsa is another oddly comforting scent because it reminds me of the forest near my other grandparents' farm. It feels very soothing and quiet to me and just wearing it is like a walk in the woods.

Vampire Tears really perks me up, but is, unfortunately, a LE. Fortunately, Embalming Fluid is kinda almost close maybe and I love it a whole lot.

Croquet is also fantastically bubbly and citrus-y without being overwhelmingly tart.

I've got SAD, too, so if you hear back from Beth please post what she says! I've been wearing Et Lux Fuit and a lot, which is from last year but it pops up on ebay pretty often, and doesn't sell for that much more than the lab price. Sol Invictus is another good cheery one for me, keep your eyes out for that as well.

Even though I don't actually wear it, just sniffing Kumiho makes me happy--I can see how Vampire Tears or Baobhan Sith would also work.

Edited by Gale

A specially crafted Panacea for SAD would be an awesome addition to that line - I'd be ordering a bottle tomorrow!

Citrus seems to be a moodlifter that gets real results, so if there's a blend that's already among your favorites with a lot of citrus notes, work it into rotation. Moxie (which is one of the Panacea) is orange with ginger and it's quite uplifting, I find. Just dabbling about to see what is on the internet, I see bergamot specifically mentioned quite often, so perhaps that's another note to seek out.

I will respond at greater length when I have a little more time, but rest assured, you've got plenty of company, and spring is coming!

Croquet is also fantastically bubbly and citrus-y without being overwhelmingly tart.

oooh, I'd just like to say how much I agree with erraticprophet for this one. Croquet is a fabulously happy scent in my imp box, so much that I'd definitely like to upgrade to a bottle. LOVE how it actually smells effervescent!

I also like bright floral scents to kick the Winter Blahs in the butt. Some of my faves are Amsterdam, Shadow Witch Orchid, White Moon, Flower Moon and Lilium Inter Spinas. Christmas Rose from this year's Yule blends is another good 'bright' floral.

I get the winter blues when the weather is grey and damp with that horrid wet rainy coldness, like recently...I highly recommend Schrodinger's Cat! Full of fun citrus notes, this one is so cheery and perky and makes me smile.

I also highly recommend Sol Invictus. That's my bottle of liquid sunshine for the winter months, it just seems made for SAD. Fire Pig is another good one.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I heard from Beth. :P

She says the following notes may help offset SAD:

bergamot, geranium, grapefruit, jasmine, and lemon

She mentions Moxie and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. She also cautions even if an oil is recommended, don't use it if you don't like it because it won't be effective.

And she reminded me to take my vitamins. I feel loved! :D

This is an awesome thread.

I've got to try Moxie some more, I wore it a couple of times but without any particular reason.

Scents that really lift my mood include the soft honeyed Sed Non Satiata, the bright Eos, and the chocolatey Bliss.

I am wearing Vampire Tears today. It contains grapefruit and jasmine, two oils Beth mentioned. I must say, this is a happy bubbly scent. It helped me get to work this morning instead of hiding under the covers!

Sunshiney? Eos! If the jasmine plays well on you - it does on me - it becomes this softly glowing, sunshiney scent. It's really pretty.

Other "happy" scents: Lolita (sunshine candy)! Poisson d'Avril (springy flowers)! Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo! Tiger Lily (honey-lily-yumminess)!

Pink Phoenix and White Light are my top two happy scents year round. They really help boost my mood whatever the reason may be.

Tropical florals like Pele and Hi'iaka that transport me to the beach are wonderfully uplifting in the dead of winter.

I'm thinking Sportive Sun, Vampire Tears Croquet are going to be in heavy rotation after I've enjoyed my Yule scents and I'm aching for a sunny, warm day.

I agree that Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is an excellent mood-lifter. Bastet's Laughter, from TAL is also great for that.

But for getting the feel of sunshine specifically (something I also need, as yet another SAD sufferer), I find that scents with amber in them tend to feel the sunniest to me. Aglaea is definitely one of the best for that - warm amber with peach wine! The Lion and Coyote also both feel very sunny to me.

Kuang Shi and Fae also tend to be good pick-me-ups for me.

I also finally admit to suffering from SAD, and I've been having a really, really hard time. I finally went out and bought myself a goLite, but I've also been relying very, VERY heavily on TAL Anthelion. I have some bergamot oil, and I think I'll get myself some of the others -- grapefruit especially. Thanks for starting this thread :P

Great thread. I also have this problem (vitamins do help, and full spectrum lights near my work space) and every winter have used pure lemon, grapefruit, and geranium oils in my lamp ring at the shop (here I thought I was just doing it for the atmosphere).

But for BPAL scents--I really don't grab the ones that mimic sunshine in some way (though I agree that amber is for me a sunlit scent). I go for my tried and true comfort scent, which is Antique Lace. Everything in the world can be made better by enough of that.

So--I think maybe if people have a scent that just makes them feel good, no matter what the notes, this might work. (the other thing that works for me is Rose Red. Must get some of this year's; I've been gifted with imps of past Rose Red and there is something about that pure light perfect rose scent that plunges me into the best of summer).

Last winter was tough for me, I was using the "Safari" in the palms of my hands and the smell of lavender, calm my anxiety and relaxed my mind in a way surprising. I hope this will help you. :P

Sign in to follow this