Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetflower

Fairy Wine

An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

In Bottle: A bright, effervescent berry. Tart and sweet. There isn't a heavy booze note which is nice. Instead there is a lushness that is backed up by a subtle, low, leaf note. Slightly syrupy.

Wet: Same as in bottle. There is a Japanese grape gummi candy that has a coating that fizzes on your tongue. That's what this reminds me of. Wicked throw.

5 minutes: The berry has softened and thinned out a bit. The tartness has taken on a bit of a medicinal quality and the leaf note is picking up pace.

15 minutes: The medicinal note is dying. Thank god.

1 hour+: Oooo, this rounded out beautifully. The absence of the medicinal note as well as the further softening of the syrupy, candy tone has let the berries and greenery settle into a very natural scent. Just like a wild raspberry bush outdoors.

Overall: Fabulous. I would have never thought this would appeal to me as much as it does. I love, love, love it. After it's morph is through I'm left with a sparkling happy scent that melds wonderfully with my skin. I smell like I spent all day outside berry picking. While pretty distinctly feminine to my mind I think this would work for almost any age group.

I agree with earlier reviews stating that this smells like a Lush store. It's an pretty scent that doesn't morph too much on my skin, but ultimately not for me.

Tart, sweet, a little honey, definitely mysterious in the imp. Unfortunately, it disappears on little fairy wings as soon as it hits my skin. There is a sweet hint of it, but it's so faint!

mmmmm...what can I say...Im always hesitant with anything that might hint at florals...but this is pure deliciousness, perfect for warmer weather.

Upon putting on my skin, it was sweet currants, very obviously, and honey wine...we brew mead at our house, so we are well aware what honey wine smells like!

As much as I stay miles away from such lighthearted scents as this, I love it!! :heart: It later became a warm, slightly fruity skin scent...I cant wait to get a bottle so I can slather myself all over with it! :lol:

I bought a bottle of this at Sakuracon.

In the bottle and wet, it smells fruity (currant) and winey. It smells drinkable! :yum: Dry, it mellows out to a sweet honey floral. This is my favorite of the "springy" scents I've tried, I just love it! :D

In the bottle: This is an empty, so I can't really tell, but it smells like honey and wine to me.

Wet: Honey, wine, fruit. Again, this is an empty, so I couldn't slather.

Dry: The red fruits really starts to come out after a while, so I smell honey and berry/currant wine. It is too sweet for me, but it is pretty.

Overall: Honey and berry/current wine, doesn't change a whole lot in the dry down. Pretty, but very sweet.

In the imp, I'm definitely getting the dandelion, and it's smelling similar to Roadhouse. On my skin, again, dandelions and booze, aka, Roadhouse. Don't have high hopes for this knowing that.

I just got my botlte of this today, and totally forgotten I had ordered it LOL

In the bottle- I smell all of the notes. A sharpness from the bitter dandelions rounded out by the honey, and a little tartness form the currants

Wet- Same. It is a really pretty scent!

Dry- This did not morph on me much. It just mellowed out a bit. A soft little floral that melds so well with the rich sweet honey, and the currants keep it fresh.

Overall, I really like it. I may not wear it all that often, but it will definitely be brought out for warm weather. It is very fresh, and I have never smelled anything like it before!

In bottle: Honeyed fruit.

Wet: Bitter green dandelion over a slightly sour wine.

Dry: It calms down sand sweetens up a LOT, but the bitter dandelion never goes away.

Notes: It's kinda sad that I amped the dandelion, I really wanted this one to work.

I really love this scent! It's an extremely fruity wine, almost more like juice than wine, since it's so sweet. Feels like a very reddish-purple scent...I would swear I smelled plum along with currant in this. Possibly also grape or blackcurrant.

The dandelion stays in the background as a grassy floral note, and the honey is present too...all notes accounted for! Primarily, though, it's a very girly fruity scent. The mood of Fairy Wine is playful, fun, and magical, and it captures the book perfectly. I find all the Stardust scents are really good at portraying the mood of the book in scent...it's just a good-smelling book, I guess!

Fairy Wine is quickly becoming my favorite BPAL scent. I was a little worried about it as I'm not particularly a boozy kind of person, and I'm kind of allergic to a lot of plants, but...wow. I may not drink alcohol, but I do love to cook with it, and that's exactly what comes to mind when I smell this scent. On my skin it smells just like a good red wine cooked down to become a base for a sweet--but savory!--wine sauce. It's heady and just a little bit sweet, and it smells simply divine.

I know there are a lot of other notes that are in this scent, but they really fall by the wayside with me. It's just sweet, rich wine.

This is so beautiful. In the vial it's an effervescent, playful sort of scent. But not playful in the "young" sense of the word. This is like forest nymphs with laughs like bells, running through the forest barefoot and naked, their long hair trailing behind them. It smells of a honeyed berry wine, though it's definitely a wine with a very low alcohol content. On the skin the dandelions poke through a bit, but they are definitely in the wine, not growing in a field. They add a faintly floral but herbal grounding aspect to what could be a very overpoweringly fruity scent. I will need a full bottle of this for sure!

White grape honey-wine. I like sweet scents, but I'm not a huge fan of grapes. The grape note fades a bit on my skin, and it's mostly a fruity honey. I wish I could smell the dandelion because it would balance the sweetness out.

Had this decant for ages and just tried it today, with all the dc's going on in the GC's i need to test everything asap ^_^

Wet: Very fruity, juicy and sweet but not to heavy.

Dry: Still fruity and juicy but it's a soft scent.

I will get a bottle of this, it's a very nice and sweet happy scent! :wub:

This should have been amazing on me. I love fruity, juicy scents. I love sweet scents. I love wine, and how it tastes and smells and especially all the different wine notes from the Lab.

Alas.

During drydown, this scent is amazing. It's sparkly and fizzy and bright, with a touch of sweet juiciness, and I can't stop huffing my wrist. If it stayed like this the entire time, it'd be perfect.

As soon as it's dry, it's all fluffy dandelions. Slightly powdery (maybe the honey getting too sweet?), the fizziness completely disappears, and I'm left smelling like a patch of dandelions, covered in leaves. *sigh*

Note: I've been wearing this regularly since it first came out and am finally getting around to reviewing it.
On: Sweet, light, fruity white wine. Very pretty. There's definitely a less sweet, almost grassy note from the dandelion, which I love.
4 hours in: A sweet floral with a hint of white wine.
7 hours in: Sweeter now and even more of a floral.. So pretty. A bit powdery.
Overall: One of my favorite oils. It's another one that smells really great on me and lasts a long time.

In bottle: heady, slightly boozy, and candy-like, sticky sweetness. Somewhat foody, but not overtly so. I'm getting a definite cherry-red vibe from it, which is probably the red currants!

Wet on skin: it's mostly the same scent wet on my skin as in the bottle, but the cherry/currents are stronger now--and interestingly, the headiness is disappearing for me. It's not quite so heavy as I expected (and dreaded). It's still the same sweet candy scent, edging into definite foody territory.

Dry: yummy! It's a red candy smell, comfortably sweet without being heady and cloying. It's rounded out quite nicely, cleanly sweet, sometimes getting a bit of a musk vibe. It's a rather playful scent, perfect for cheerful, bright days.

Verdict: I never really thought I'd like this as much as I've ended up liking it, as I don't like eating cherries! It's a wonderful fruity/foody scent that's worth a bottle for me.

I received this as a frimp from a wonderful forumite. :)

This is very pretty and lighthearted! Wet, it is mostly dandelion and honey on my skin, with a little fruitiness from the currant. It doesn't morph on me, but my skin does eat it. What a shame. If it wasn't gone within 30 minutes, this would be a bottle purchase for sure.

Wet: Woah! Sweet, sweet, bright berry and nothing else. Not sure about this.

Dry down: Oh hello honey! Thank you for toning down the berry and making this wearable. This is really quite pretty.

Dry: The honey berry smell stays very true here, but it smells like it's warmed up (?) on my skin and is very beautiful.

Verdict: I get no booze from Fairy Wine, which is excellent because boozy scents tend to not agree with me. This is a beautiful blend, and I'm really glad I have a bottle because I can see myself wearing this frequently.

From the bottle: Smells like something you would drink. I can smell berries and honey and it is syrupy. If I good a strong sniff it smells like cherry lollies. It's a bit tart.

Wet on the skin: The cherry and the berry tone down while the honey is still very present. It's no longer syrupy but it's still really sweet and the cherry makes it cloying.

Dry down: Bye cherry! Hello berries and honey. Yay dandylions. This is more like it.

Dry: Definitely more floral now. Florals and honey with faint fruits.

Verdict: I can smell the booze but it's subtle, like chick drink subtle. I feel like this plays quite nicely with my skin chemistry, thank God it morphed! It is definitely feminine and not noticably boozey. I'm not one to go for syrupy sweet scents but I think within all its sweetness, there is balance. This is my special occasion girly go to.

In the decant: Sweet, green floral.

On skin, wet: Same as in the decant.

On skin, dry: This really is just a sweet green floral on me. There's a very slight hint of tartness, but not enough to make much of an impression.

After an hour: No real change. I feel like I can almost smell the honey and currant, but not quite, because the dandelion just runs roughshod over everything else. No trace of wine, either. Dangit. :/ (On the up side, it didn't turn into OMG CANDY on me despite the currant, so that's a change).

Edited by lohengrin

This makes me think Slippery Poppy Tincture, it seems to have this same honey-red fruit combo going on, to my nose.

In the Bottle : Gosh, this is heavy and sweet. It's like slap in your face sweet. I really, really don't like this.

Wet : Honeydew? Grapes and honeydew, slathered in honey? Honey over fruit, filled with more honey? OMG, this is soooo sweet and heavy on the honey.

Dry: Good. The honey has calmed down, it smells still sweet, but now I can actually catch wiffs of something, aside from fruity honey. As said before, it has the same honey - red fruit combo I seemed to catch in SPT, but in a less agressive and anisy sense.

Where SPT was a miss, this is actually a hit. I must say when I tried it the first time, straight from the lab, this gave me one of the worst headaches, now, after a year of aging, dry, this is yumminess and delight.

It's a soft dandelion and honey scent, with the red currant adding a nice rounding effect. The dandelion in this is actually what turned the miss of STP, into a total hit. I love it.

I knew I loved the dandelion note, after trying School House, and seeing it here, is nice.

Overall : Past the agressive wet stage, this is one of the nicest summer scents, I've tried so far, among the GC.

It's yummy, sunny and very uplifting.

Fairy Wine is a pretty pure cross of honey, dandelion, and red currant. On my skin, the honey and dandelion really bloom, and the red currant warms things up with a berry blush of sorts. The dandelion note is so dead on, I always marvel at that. There's an afternote of something that smells a bit like rum here, but it's just a hint. If you like honey and dandelion, this is definitely worth a try!

Oh, BPAL, how I love thine wine note. It's just like a glass of smooth, slightly (and not too) fruity wine. The red currant comes out more as it dries down, and the honey falls into the background. It's almost like having a glass of wine while walking in a herb-gardenpath ...or something. Very very nice!! :clap:

Just when I think I've smelled the full spectrum of BPAL's honey notes, there's somehow another one out there. This one is utterly gorgeous and I'm wondering if it's in anything else. Story time: we have an agriculture fair where I am every year, and when I was a little girl they had a full room of honeys you could taste. (They also set up the room so the bees could freely fly in and out and the honey could be collected without harming them. Very cool.) This is an exact match for FRESH, light, and sweet wildflower honey. There's a fruity tone, here, and a dandelion leaf thing going on, but they come across more as aspects of the honey than separate notes. It's basically a honey SN on me, but a gorgeous, complex, beautiful-spring-day honey that I would just about bathe in. Get in my cart right now, you!