Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Long Night Moon

The nights are at their longest, the sky is at its darkest. The air is still with reflective silence. A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk.

First Impression: Slightly sweet green tea.

Dries down to: The flowers start emerging slowly, the sweetness fades and it cools down.

Additional Comments: This is a light and lovely, subtle floral blend. It's cool and quiet - perfect for summer evenings.

Lasted: 1-2 hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is a beautiful, fresh aquatic floral, softly musky and very clean. The mint note is especially lovely. For some reason, I could swear I smell opium, too! I don't think I'm going to hang onto it, because it's just a little too fresh to be a "me" scent, but someone will love this perfectly blended beauty!

Edited by LadyMedb

For some reason, Long Night Moon smells like honeysuckle and something fruity on me. I like it but this one definitely needs to age before I wear it again.

this definitely smells like sweet nightblooming flowers, with an added ozone quality, which i think is the blue musk. i defnitely get moonflower and phlox, and thankfully the mint and honeysuckle are non-existent on my skin. this is a pretty scent, but too sweet and aquatic for my personal tastes, so i think i will swap it.

Blue musk tends to smell watery to me, like a frost tinged pond and frosty stones. It also has an *almost* fruity sweetness to it. I can definitely smell that and the moonflower in this blend. The moonflower has a chilly, almost powdery sweetness to it. I like Long Night Moon's sweetness, but one of the flower notes starts going a bit soapy and sharp on me in the drydown, trying to muck things up. I agree with the review that said this was reminiscent of shampoo. It has a sweet, clean, slightly aquatic smell to it that, when mixed with the soapiness, smells like shampoo on me as well. I kinda like it though. It's a nice, clean fragrance.

For just a second, I get a faint hint of what Long Night Moon should smell like. Cool, aquatic, pale misty flowers - the winter floral I've been looking for.

And then it goes all wrong. It smells like plastic! It smells like hospitals! Wah! I need to figure out which of the many notes is doing this to me...

For just a second, I get a faint hint of what Long Night Moon should smell like. Cool, aquatic, pale misty flowers - the winter floral I've been looking for.

And then it goes all wrong. It smells like plastic! It smells like hospitals! Wah! I need to figure out which of the many notes is doing this to me...

I'm so sorry it goes plastic-y on you, because on me it does smell like you say it should: "Cool, aquatic, pale misty flowers - the winter floral I've been looking for." In fact, I skipped the Lunacy I was supposed to wear last night (Peony) and chose to wear Long Night Moon again because I really love it so much. I'm very grateful to Beth for this blend...it's wonderful!

Long Night Moon – My very first thought when I sniffed this is that it’s bright and herbal. I think the thyme and mint is what is giving it this incredibly strong, herbal feel. Behind the mint and thyme are sweet, soft florals. It’s a fascinating scent and I can’t decide if I like it or not! The mint makes it a bit too sharp for my taste, but I love the presence of the herbal-floral notes. Definitely an unique take on a soft floral. The throw is above average and the staying power is average.

Blech! This one hates me! I smell rancid florals and fruits. And I left it on for hours to see if it would morph into something wearable on me....no luck, no morphing....ew! Gift for a friend this decant will be!

Happily the other two scents (Saggitarius and Ivanushka) from this update are GOLDEN on me!

Cool, aquatic, pale misty flowers ... <snip>

That's exactly what I smell in Long Night Moon. I'm fortunate that it does not turn plastic on me (sorry Ladybird). It's elegant and perfume-y, in a very good way :P.

I was very excited about this one.. the notes sounded so lovely.

I do smell the soft flowers, but then I get a harsh astrigent underneath. I get a flash of pine sol for some reason. Its soft and light (almost a soapy lemon?) and then it burns my nose.

Off to swaps :P

I waited for this to show up so it could be my first review. I was THAT positive I would love it and I am familiar with almost all of its notes, so I hopefully won't sound like an idiot. Because I am very, very good at sounding like an idiot.

In my mind, wet Long Night Moon is glittery blue. When I first put it on my skin, I was a little worried since I got mostly a clean musk (can there be such a thing?) and tiny little hints of florals. I think musks are the notes that go soapy on me (it's something relatively common since 4 of the 10 scents I've tested lately have turned into something almost identical to Dove) and a CLEAN musk did not seem promising.

Then it dried down into something positively awesome. I can smell the cereus which is SO FREAKING COOL because it is, by far, my favorite scent. I also get some honeysuckle and something sweetly herby. I am having a hard time picking out the different notes once dry...this is such a beautifully blended perfume.

Two hours after applying, the honeysuckle comes to front, yet it is not cloying like the actual flower can be sometimes. It's like catching a whiff of the blooms while walking down the street late at night in October.

Long Night Moon is beautiful....

It's a little soapy in the bottle, but it blooms on the skin. Light floral, reminds me of night-blooming flowers. Fades and comes back, strangely enough. I prefer more robust florals, but this would rock for a spring evening.

In the imp, this is a sweet, light floral - that must be the honeysuckle in the forefront.

On my skin, - mmm, this is really nice. It's very serene and clear - beautiful, balanced floral, with the merest whisper of a mint.

Dry, the florals really come out over the musk - too bad it didn't stay in the wet phase forever. I pass this along to someone who will really appreciate it.

Wow...

I was NOT expecting this to work o__o;

Delicate flowers and flowing water (NOT "aquatic")

This smells like an accord of Clinique Happy, actually :P Very pretty, but smells just like a less complex version of a popular "commercial" scent.

I'm amazed at how quickly this has become my bedtime scent. I put it on every night before going to sleep, and it calms me, and invites sleep. The idea of a long night of sleep is very welcoming.

In the bottle it's heady with honeysuckle. On my skin it mellows into a gorgeous, nighttime floral.

:P

Ack. In the bottle there is something about this that kind of turns my stomach. Something sharp and acrid. Please let that note fade on my skin!

Nope. Not gonna fade. I wish I knew which note it was! I can smell a nice watery floral underneath it, but it's overshadowed by this something that just does not work on me, like sour rotting flowers. :P

To the swaps you go :D

bottle: honeysuckle and musk.

wet: the honeysuckle flares up for an instant before fading . now i'm getting the thyme and mint and musk and some ofther soft, luminous florals. so pretty.

dry: there's something, probably the mint, that smells like a faint, sweet sort of cucumber aquatic. it's very soft and pretty. this is a keeper.

This one...just goes all wrong on me. I think it's the florals mixing with the thyme, musk, and perhaps mint, as in the bottle it has a certain mixed-up astringinet quality. On my skin it ends up smelling like...musky sugar (and not in a good way), which quickly fades to a white-floral soap. Soap. Soap. Too much soap...an overwhelming floral soap. Yikes. This is one of the first BPALs to which I've had a frighteningly negative reaction. Sadness!

Deep dark geeky secret about why I wanted this particular Lunacy:

I'm a big fan of the Kushiel's Legacy books. In the books, there's a winter solstice celebration called the Longest Night, and there is an immense masquerade ball held at Cereus House, which is essentially an opulent brothel. Somewhere between the name Long Night Moon and the listing of the cereus note, I was hoping this oil would evoke the sensuality and elegance of the Longest Night scenes in the series.

It's definitely close.

Long Night Moon, on me, is a ladylike, glam sort of floral, the kind that tends to make me think of old-time Hollywood goddesses. I'm not familiar enough with the various floral notes to tell you whether I can pick out the cereus or the moonflower; I keep thinking I smell orchid, and my boss said she smelled gardenia, but neither of those is listed so we may both be off base! I hoped for more musk than I got; it would have sexed it up a bit. But overall, I really like LNM.

GC oils that have a similar "feel" to me: Shadow Witch Orchid, Wicked.

Imp: Sharp aquatic with sweet florals in the background.

Wet: General "wet scent" that comes with a lot of white flower blends.

Dry: Aquatics just aren't my friend. I'd assume it's the blue musk lending that aquatic edge. My wrist smells like a lovely floral perfume doused in pool water. Le sigh.

Throw: Not much.

Overall: You can't win 'em all. It would make a nice bath or room scent. There's still potential for us, Long Night Moon. There's still hope.

In the bottle: Green, fresh lunar oils with some heady florals.

Wet: Greener, nicely herbal in an almost medicinal manner - ah yes the thyme. The florals are sweeter. The mint has come out but it's light and well blended. The moonflower is making this clean, but so far, not soapy. I think the cereus explains the 'heady' floral note.

Dry: Clean minty-herbal with faint white florals. This has dried down very nicely.

Summary: Clean, cool lunar musk with light herbs and flowers. Good throw and longevity.

In the imp: Something fruity sweet, a smidge of mint, and watery pine.

On wet: Sweet pine and frosty mint!

Drydown: It's gone totally floral with a musk base. The moonflower is prominent, along with something high-pitched and creamy sweet - I'm thinking it's the cereus (which I have no experience with *at all*), though if I had to guess, I'd have said it was jasmine. The blue musk is sparkly and effervescent. The mint and frost/pine notes are MIA, and I haven't sniffed any thyme yet, either.

Overall: Classy and floral-sweet, very upscale and pretty. It's not a scent I see myself reaching for very often, but if I had somewhere elegant to go - a wedding, a fancy evening out with my husband, the theatre, etc. - LNM would be a great choice. Lovely! 3/5

Edited by furygrrl

I hated this one so much when I first got it I didn't even dare review it. But it's been 8 months now, and the scent has changed a lot. Now it smells like a botanical greenhouse - hot and sweet with huge white flowers. When it's wet, something barnlike overwhelms me at first (I think it might be the blue musk, which I've decided disagrees with me strongly), but it fades in minutes and then the floral scent remains. It's a lot like Kindly Moon on drydown, which I always liked in the summmertime.

In the bottle: first whiff of gleaming sweet cereus, thyme, clean musk

Wet: Serene mint, honeysuckle, moonflower

Dry: The cereus is such a unique note, nothing like anything I have experienced. Languid, cool air notes. The mint note is delicate. The blue musk adds a chilliness to a succulent breath of honeysuckle, still slightly herbal from the thyme.

Impressions of a chilly night where stars slowly begin to twinkle, a silvery moon casting a long shadow. Similar in feel to Black Moon. Has a cool velvety cucumber juiciness to it. Will be adding this to my scents that I love to wear at bedtime...

:P