Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Long Night Moon

LONG NIGHT MOON
The nights are at their longest, the sky is at its darkest. The air is still with reflective silence. A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk.

Trying to get the reviews out to you guys, since I seem to be one of the first to get their LNM order.

LNM makes it easy-- this smells just like Midnight on the Midway on me, except blue musk instead of sweetness, more floral, and IMHO, prettier. And I can't describe to you what blue musk smells like, but I smell it. It's right there! It's musky! It's blue in my head! It feels lonely and wistful. Oh, and as it dries, I smell just the tiniest touch of an aquatic/ozone note--the frost, I'm guessing. It does smell like frost! This blend is more complex than it seems at first sniff. Mmmmm...I like. :D

ETA: Almost two hours later, it smells even more beautiful. :P Between this and Swan Maiden, BPAL is trying to kill me dead with perfect florals! Edited by Shollin

I was dying to try this because it sounded a little bit in the description like something that would surprise me a la Snow Moon and come out smelling incredibly chilly and frosty and snowlike despite all those floral notes. Night-blooming flowers can be a big ol' headache and I am not a big fan of florals, but I love thyme, honeysuckle and mint and I can't resist the words "blue musk".

At first sniff it did make me think of the slushy crush of Snow Moon plus herbs. In the bottle, the frosty, slightly minty spikes of scent are stronger. On wearing it, it is a musky dusty herbal with a hint of dried flowers and a slight breath of cold. It's not really like anything else though, it is very much its own fragrance. I love herbal scents and I don't feel like I get nearly enough of them in my collection!

Blue musk is hard to put your finger on. There's something simultaneously dusty and aquatic about it. Visually I think of a blue plastic globe when I smell something with blue musk in it, but that's just me being weird. Otherwise I'd describe it alternately as antique, musky/dusty, dried flowers, frost, and -- well gosh, then it just has these wonderful little sweet floral moments where honeysuckle blossoms and herbs are warming in the sun, so it's a very complex scent, a strong morpher, and absolutely wonderful.

I think it suits December well too, since it's not a sunny summer floral, or the light and frivolous flowers of spring. It is a serious floral, aged and cold. These flowers are dried and ready for storage to keep their beauty -- pale and brittle as it is -- alive all winter.

This is beautiful - sweet and cool. At first I really couldn't smell the mint, but as it dries, I think I'm getting a combo of the mint and sage. Okay, I confess that I really can't distinguish between the different florals, because I don't know most of them, but this is gorgeous. I almost get a kind of verbena-esque vibe from it, which may be partly the sage. There's a tiny little hint of frost behind this, too. It's sweet, but it's a crisp kind of sweetness, almost dry, not juicy or fresh. Ah, I give up, this is a lame lame review, but this is a beautiful beautiful scent.

LongNightSS.jpg

I was so very nervous about this lunacy; when I first read the notes and saw the mint note *shudder* .... well, I ordered my standard (for me) 2 bottles anyway, hoping it would work on me and knowing I could probably sell/swap it if necessary.

I am here to tell you it is not necessary! The mint note? Non-existent to my nose, even in the bottle, but more importantly: on my skin! At first sniff, this is a very nice white floral, but as it warms on my skin, the scent cools, strange as that may sound. There is a lovely chilly note in this (the blue musk?) which makes it so much more than just a nice floral, plus the sage gives a faint herby scent which perfectly complements the chill. Musk isn't always kind to my body chemistry, but in this blend it behaves so well! I wish I'd ordered another couple of bottles for back-up, because I'm going to enjoy wearing it in my Nightly Lunacy Rotation.

Final Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

I got my bottle last night, opened it and smelled...soapy florals. :P

I decided to try it today hoping that the soap smell would fade when it was dry.

First 30 minutes was really soapy, every time I sniffed I though I was going to sneeze. After that the soap started to fade, and something else started to show up (I think it may have been the musk). Sadly after about an hour of this everything faded and now I can just smell a hint of the soap if I press my nose up against my skin.

I'm going to try once more, since I was very sparing this time, but I'm afraid this one is going to be a swapper. :D I really wanted to love this scent.

This is a very pretty, crystalline floral. It does start a little soapy but a bright, tartness soon takes over. I feel like this is a marriage between Black Moon and Kindly Moon. It evokes a lot of beautiful imagery: blue-white florals frozen in time.

I forgot to add that dry this almost has a honeydew melon note to it and now reminds me of Fee a bit. Interesting...

Edited by Rheliwen

Just got my order!

Bottle: Cold and minty and sweetly medicinal. Cough syrup?

Wet: Really sweetish floral--but I can smell the mint, thyme, and musk quite clearly. I'd never smelled blue musk before, but yep, that's very blue. It's light and somehow slightly more tangy than white musk.

Drydown: Sweet. Floral. Mintily cold.

Unfortunately, this reminds me of soap and toothpaste. I love the label art, but will probably trade.

Long Night Moon has broken my heart. I was looking forward to this, I was hoping for a nice cool moonflower. Something chilly and a little sophisticated.

Instead, I got soap. I can't even pick out any notes, it just turns straight to soap on my skin.

Bummer. This is the first lunacy I've bought this year that hasn't worked out on me.

This is a cool, crisp, night-floral. The blue musk is only in the background to ensure that this scent isn't too harsh or sharp because the florals are so fresh and green. I'd characterize LNM as a white/pale floral with a balanced coolness and an ethereal quality.

My nose isn't very well-trained when it comes to these moonlit florals, so I find that this blend actually reminds me very much of the Gibbous Moon and Swan Maiden.

I can't say that I don't like it, but I will say that it's not quite my style. I tend to go for florals with a little more humidity and roundness to them (like New Orleans, Juliet, Delight, etc.), and I'm honestly jasmine/ylang ylang's biggest fan. So if you don't like those kinds of scents, you can't take my opinion into account. : -)

Even though I don't think I will keep Long Night Moon in my collection, it's about a 3.5 out of 5 from me.

I get no mint from this. That probably accounts for the fact that I don't find this a particularly cold or even cool floral. In fact, quite the opposite. I'm finding it rather warm. Yellows and creams rather than whites, although I CAN get the navy blue of the sky in there - just about.

I don't dislike this blend. I LOVE florals in general and I do like this. It comes across to me as something very opulent and hot-house flower-y. Perhaps that's what it is. The florals are all in the hot-house being kept beautifully warm while it's dark and cold outside. You know the cold's there, but it doesn't get in, somehow.

So yes. I do like this, I really do. But there are many florals that smell so much better on me. This... it's not bad. But it's not brilliant. Room scent, I think. That'd be lovely.

I had an unusually hard time making up my mind about this one. There's a sharpness and borderline soapiness to it, but that's already died down considerably in the week or so I've had the bottle. I suspect it just needs time in a cool, dark place to grow into itself fully.

The blue musk is lovely and is very present, balancing the florals nicely. The mint starts out pretty strong on me, but it fades on drydown to a fairly quiet presence, chilling the scent. I'm not a fan of strong ozone notes, and thankfully I'm not getting any from this. Color-wise, this is a light aquamarine.

My main issue is that although this is very pretty, it just doesn't feel right to me for this time of year. Long Night Moon would be wonderful on the shortest night of the year - or any hot, sticky summer night when I'm wanting something fresh and cool. I'll be hoarding it happily until then.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by GreenSpine

LONG NIGHT MOON

This is a pretty, crystalline floral but it is not sharp or arid. Instead it has a sort of soft, velvety blue aquatic quality. The blue musk is cool and lush. The honeysuckle sweetens everything and is very strongly present. I don't directly smell the mint in here but it does have a very frosty, cold quality to it. This brings to mind a completely silent, still night in the dead of winter. Stars slowly, coldly, sparkle in the sky and a silver cast lies on everything that the light of the moon is able to illuminate in the frozen night.

I thought this was certain to work on me given the listed notes, but it doesn't. All I can smell is topnotes - it's so high pitched it practically whistles. All the florals have merged into something that most closely resembles Sainsbury's own brand washing powder (not my preferred smell!)

I will leave it alone for a few days and see if it settles down because I am really surprised at what I'm getting at the moment. I am still hoping for a floral scent with blue musk!

Edit - it has settled down now and the musk and sweet florals have come out more, but the "washing powder" note is still noticeable in the background. Will swap.

Edited by LauraB

LONG NIGHT MOON:

On me this is a perfect cross between Stardust and Kindly Moon,

which happen to be two of my favorites. I am so glad I bought 2 bottles.

:P

In the bottle:

Hmmm, sort of aquatic.

Wet:

A strange combination of incense, soap and aquatics. This would seem to indicate that this blend may not work on me.

Dry:

This calms down quite a bit on the drydown. Strong-ish florals and a frost note that's not obnoxiously aquatic (I have trouble with aquatics). I will have to wear this full-on and see how it goes, but I think I like it.

This is a beautiful, bright, crystalline floral – it’s like a cross between Kindly Moon and an aquatic of some kind – maybe Kingsport? When applied for the first time I thought it was a bit too sharp but after trying it a couple times I really like it.

I’m not getting any mint note but there is something chilly about this blend. There’s something quite sweet about this blend, especially after it’s been on a while. Initially I’d think it was sugared flowers, but looking at the notes it must be honeysuckle. Just beautiful. This reminds me of frozen flowers in watery, winter sunlight.

i've had this for about a week and i've tried it three times now and.... just no.

is jasmine a night-blooming-flower ? i confess i'm not all that familiar with a lot of the listed notes in this blend, but i try what comes my way no matter what.

on me, there's a almost-minty floral-ness about this that keeps tilting toward the awfulness that is jasmine. at a distance, it smells like it might have promise, but then i sniff again and it just does *not* work.

i'll tell you something, though, this is nearly a dead ringer for the long-discontinued Bath & Body Works perfume Gingham... how, i have no idea as the notes are different (cornflower? apricot? chamomile?) but i did a sniff test and they're very similar!

Sweet, cool, dark, crisp, and lovely all at the same time. This is very creeping, and definitely a night time brew. It makes me think of shadows and dark gardens. There is a crispness behind the softness of the florals that gives this a bit of an "under" bite, lol. Very mysterious, airy, purpley hazey scent. Makes me want to curl up on soft fresh sheets and sleep.

straight sniff from bottle is overwhelmingly floral...

once applied this is still very floral...you have to let this one work

with your chemistry...

after 30-45 minutes this calms down to a very eloquent blend...the florals, mint

and blue musk are top-notch...a heady and elegant perfume ... perfect for a walk

under the moonlit sky :P

In the imp: Flowery, but in a cold sort of way, with a hint of honeysuckle peeking out.

Wet: A cold, soapy sort of floral, reminiscent of shampoo.

Drying: Eesh, this does seem soapy. It really smells an awful lot like shampoo or a bar of soap. I don't think this one likes me. :P

Long Night Moon 2007

In the Bottle:

This smells like Snow Moon - which I LOVE!

On my Skin, Wet:

yep - Snow Moon.

with a touch more florals.

On my Skin, Dry:

Snow Moon base scent- but then a glorious field of frost-crystallized flowers makes an appearance!

beautiful!

they are cold florals - nothing warm about this scent, yet it is somehow inviting.

Verdict:

at first I thought this was Snow Moon revisited - but it is a very different moon in its own right.

the initial application was a dead ringer to Snow Moon - but then it transforms into the most lovely field of glittering flowers and mists under that familiar silver light.

Gorgeous!

8 of 10 Ranking!

ETA: I must've been on a hormonal roller coaster the first time I wore this - it smells nothing like Snow Moon in the bottle!!

instead I smell frozen solid flowers - something akin to buttercups, even!

It does still remind me of Snow Moon - but not nearly as much as I thought initially.

Where Snow Moon is cold and floral but soft, like powder snow; Long Night Moon is cold floral and hard, like hore frost.

They are still similar - but not almost identical like I had originally thought :P

Edited by Akurarei

Origin: Bottle bought on the forums

Initial Thoughts: Blue musk proved to be a winner on me in some blends, and there's honeysuckle, one of my favorite notes. Had to try it as soon as I could afford it.

In the Bottle: The mint is strong, and something floral that might be the moonflower or phlox. Definitely a chilly floral.

Wet: Um...ew. Something is totally not agreeing with my skin. It's almost litterbox-bad, very sour and hinting of ammonia.

Drydown: The sharp tang fades somewhat, but those unpleasant notes are still there. I get more honeysuckle and the musk, but they can't overcome whatever it is that's clashing with my skin chemistry.

Verdict: :P Off to the sale pile for someone else to love.

In the Bottle: Perfectly reflects the bottle's label; The cold, clear night sky reflecting onto a body of water. Clean, Aquatic

Wet: Classic, Sophisticated. Not at all flirty or sexy. This scent means business, it's serious. However it stills feels womanly. This could be a good unisex scent. This would be good to wear for a presentation at work or school. I feel capable, steady wearing it.

Dry: This scent makes me feel like everything is under control. It's great to wear to work. I smell mint and thyme. I'm not sure what blue musk smells like, but this defintely smells "blue" to me. Dark Blue. It feels a little cold, alone.

Longer Drydown: Things were all business before, but now we can start to let our hair down a bit. The dark blue from before is turning into a lighter indigo. It's as if the powerful business woman is settling down after work with a glass of wine in the hot tub.

Overall: This was a great work scent. Great for focus. It's definitely cold and a bit lonely, but if you need to get things done, I'd recommend this.

3 out of 5.

Edited by BlackLace

Oh, this is just gorgeous. It's floral, absolutely, but I can't really pick out any specific flowers. It's not quite a white floral - almost, but not quite. It does indeed have a "blue" feel to it. I can smell the blue musk. Like everyone else, I can't describe it, but I know it's there. It's a little bit like white musk, but different. This scent really is crystalline, I really do get an image of delicate blooms dusted with tiny, tiny, twinkling specks of dew. VERY slightly aquatic, but it's more of a suggestion, an afterthought. This is a scent that makes one think of quiet, of stillness in the deep night, of the peace of that time. This scent is truly magical.

Oh man, I never had the jasmine 'cat pee' phenomenon happen to me.

Until now. For some strange reason, in this blend, the wet stage does smell really awful. :P After about an hour, the jasmine behaves and well, smells like jasmine.

Bright, sharp, clear and crystalline. Perhaps too sharp.

Combined with the awful wet stage, this one blend did not work for me.