Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Long Night Moon

The nights are at their longest, the sky is at its darkest. The air is still with reflective silence. A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk.

typical floral, bordering on bugspray. no mint.

I want florals to work, but I usually end up liking scents that are darker/earthier better. I bought this on a whim and it's WHOA FLORAL in the bottle, I couldn't pick out any individual notes. All the flowers chill out and the mint adds some sweetness on drydown. It makes me think of an unseasonably warm autumn night.

Honeysuckle softened by pale white florals which become creamier in dry down. The mint hangs out in the backround with the thyme adding a hint of coolness. This is a sweet, pale, and lush floral that makes me think of cool summer nights when the air is thick with moisture and the smell of flowers.

Purchased this straight from the Lab in the hopes that I would get a strong floral.

In the bottle, the scent smells like a cool, moonless night with a light waft of floral and ozone scents. There’s also a hint of moss and lichen.

At first, on the skin, this blend transforms into a slightly ozone-tinged dupe of Bath and Body Works’ cucumber melon body soap.

After about an hour, the scent suddenly transforms into an ozone-heavy blend, with whiffs of mint, thyme, and the smallest hint of moonflower.

I’m not sure if this is a keeper. The initial cucumber melon phase is unfortunate, and the scent has low throw and weak staying power (only lasted about 4 hours on me). But I do love the light ozone scent I get in the drydown....I may keep it and use it a few more times before making up my mind.

If you love florals, this is for you. In the imp, I get the impression of a bouquet of flowers picked on a cold night in very early spring. On my skin, the honeysuckle steals the show. It's the main floral that I get, but I still get hints of the others. The blue musk is absolutely beautiful in this, and there seems to be an almost-watery note in here somewhere (probably the frost). The cool florals with the soft blue musk are stunning. I'm not a big floral person, but this is lovely for those who enjoy them more. 

2020 version.

I got the honeysuckle right off the bat, accompanied by what I think may be jasmine (or some other heady, night-blooming floral note). It's super loud for the first few hours of wear, but eventually, it softens around the edges and becomes a tamer floral scent with some herby thyme. The mint is super light on me, only adding a hint of coolness to the blue musk beneath these notes.

This was an obligatory 'you ordered the shirt, so you must try the scent' decant, even though the notes aren't really in my wheelhouse. As a flormand lover, this is not for me, but I did enjoy the burst of honeysuckle I got in the beginning.

Edited by doomsday_disco

OK, so this is for the 2020 release:  Amazing, but not what I expected--this scent screams "warm spring night" to me! In the bottle: Cut grass, hay, honeysuckle, and some kind of very green herby floral. On, wet: Aaah, there's the blue musk! Also a wee hint of the BPAL frost accord is here. Drydown: I am left with some really cool, white, dry florals against a backdrop of very light powdery musk with a hint of cool herbs. Lovely for now, but this will be amazing in the Summer!

Hello, violet! 😱

Long Night Moon goes on like violet bubblegum - fruity, bright, sweet.

It smells a bit astringent, and I don't detect any night-blooming flowers that usually work super well on me.

Also, no frosty notes or strong mint - the violet is overpowering everything else on my skin. (I should mention that violet is one of my death notes and can make me nauseous if it's too overpowering.)

I think the sickly sweet honeysuckle may amp the violet scent even more.

This stays a purple bubblegum and violet scents on me.

Good for those who love florals (they show up eventually) and a purple-blue vibe to their perfume - alas, not for me.

For the 2020 blend:

I honestly can't do my normal version of a review.I can't even figure out the notes. Whatever is in this that is not working on my skin, I now have an idea of what people who dislike the "poo" note that oudh can get. I could barely get my hand near my face. After about a half an hour, all I could say was it finally had some floral, but it was basically a poo garden, white very few flowers. 

I have no idea what note or combo of notes decided to go so badly, but I wish I could figure it out, because this is the first BPAL where it's not a matter of just "personal preference, I don't like it" it's an actual, "I cannot be near it." Which makes me sad. It had so many notes that do work on me & in the bottle it had a light floral with what seemed to be the jonquil coming to the front.