Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

Ok, please excuse my long reply to everyone...but it needed to be done!

I actually don't get much clove out of Jack. Mostly it smells like buttery pumpkin bread and spice cake on me mnod.gif. It's very warm and foodie. A lot of clove scents smell 'off' on me, so I have a hard time describing what clove should smell like. Thankfully, I didn't get that weird clove smell from Jack, lol.

Ok Jack is definitely at the top of my list right now. It sounds scruptious! And even though I'm not sure I want to smell like something I want to eat (in a moment of spacing I might actually try and nibble my arm) but I simply can't resist actually smelling it.

Oh, and just to throw out one more scent that you might want to consider: Eclipse (bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon), it smelled like lovely vanilla and cinnamon on me.

Dragon's Milk is also sweet, warm, milky and comforting.

Oh nice, adding those two to the list as well! Perhaps I should actually post the list at the end of this. I'm oddly getting excited for fall now...and summer hasn't even fully hit!

Well, based on my own experiences; The Hesperides is apples an a tad bark-y/oak-y. Hamadryad is another autumn scent, at least I think the older, more cinnamonny stuff was.

Personally, I´d say Graveyard Dirt, or Zombi, if you´d rather go for a GC icon_wink.gif Also Nosferatu and maybe Jazz Funeral? I tend to think of the smell of dirt/soil when I think of autumn, but YMMV, yes? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and Bliss, for that gooey, just-wanna-stay-snuggled-up-inside-scent.

Hmm, yeah The Hesperides looks like a risk scent fo rme...but may be worth it! The scent does seem perfectly fall. I'm not entirely sure if I like oak but it's worth a shot.

Hamadryad? Hmm, I should look that up in teh reviews but...another for the list!

I hadn't though about dirt scents! I've actually never smelled one. It seems an odd thing to like but maybe it will surprise me. It seems to be a fairly popular scent. I'll have to get my hands on one of those...probably going to have to be a GC scent. No more falling in love with LE scents for me!

Hmm, Bliss is an interesting choice. Once again I'm a bit afraid that I'll want to eat myself but...it would certainly be comforting!

----

Thanks for the links! Yeah the orders will probably start coming out faster. However, I'm about to leave for Paris for a month so I'll actually be in the middle of summer by the time I could place this order. And I'd like to get it in before I move to the city (it would just make things a bit easier). Also, adding your suggestions to the list! Especially Verdandi.

---

I don't think it is, but that is on my skin. I mainly smell sandlawood and chocolate, with a touch of smokiness. However, I noticed when I read reviews on the board that for some people whose skin amps up myrrh, the myrrh was very noticeable.... I would definetely suggest trying it though, it is one of the most warm and enveloping scents I have ever come across!

I don't think my skin amps it, I just think the scent in general isn't pleasing to me. But so many people do find it wonderful that...well I must add it too!

Another one you might want to try is Nefertiti. It has myrrh, but it's very light (it's actually the only oil with myrrh that has ever worked on me- it's usually way too sweet).

Light myrrh? Interesting...didn't know that was possible :D May have to try this too even if just for the name. i used to be obsessed with her. Man I want to go to Egypt.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! :P

Well, for what it´s worth; Beth´s dirt blends were the ones who made me realize how talented she is. I don´t wear them very often, but man; Graveyard Dirt (in particular, since it´s pretty much dirt and nothing else) smells just like wet soil! It´s absolutely amazing.

Hrmm.. Jack and Samhain are my "fall" favorites, but Samhain (04) is very woodsy, etc to some people... But it smells like a rotating dessert tray on me (apple crisp, pumpkin pie, spiced cider, hot chocolate w/cinnamon and nutmeg)... So if you could get a hand on it, it might be worth a try...

Since I like to bake in the fall, any "foody" scent is fall-ish to me..

As for cloves, I thought everyone had smelled them :P But you can find them in your local grocery store. It you have a place that sells spices and stuff in bulk go have a whiff. I like Clove, but large amounts of it can have a numbing/tingling affect (and such is why I don't use Villainess Embargo soap on certain, uhh.. Bits).

And I can only wear snake oil in the fall.. it's too heavy on me for the summer.

Frumious Bandersnatch!

Coming back in to add a few more words about that -- I had a phone call just as I started to type. :P

FrumBand is a delicious spicy-fruity blend that smells like autumn to me, and I've got it at the top of my Get For Fall list. Also on that list is Verdandi, apples and amber, yum. Rather than looking for things that are incensey, I suggest you look for things that are smoky -- for me, anyway, it's really autumn when people start using their fireplaces and woodstoves again, and burning leaves once the rains start.

And if you can find some Hunter Moon, it really is the essence of the autumn forest in a bottle.

Edited by oakmoss

i agree with verdandi for fall, and of course samhain, harvest moon, etc. I love, love, love Scales of Depravation in the fall...and oddly enough i would sweeten my bow and crown of conquest with dorian and felt it was like old library fall. In the fall i find myself reaching for hamadryad, sin, snake oil, sed non satiata, and devil's night the most. Everything else kinda gets lonesome until spring.

Smoky~ooh, Brimstone!

My favorite apple right now is Phantom Queen. The others (Verdandi, Hesperidies), were too sweet for me. Yeah, hard to belive 'eh? :P

Snake Oil~I am a broken record. Have you tried it?

I am hopeing that Hymn to Proserpine will be my "it" scent for fall. Along with Eat Me and Frumerous Bandersnatch...I will have to wait and see! (Squee!)

Anybody else looking forward to Fall as much as I am? :P Any more scents to add to the above recs?

Darbla

Darbla, I am TOTALLY looking forward to fall. I squeed with joy at the HM update. I am on pins and needles to see the Samhain scents for this year.

DRINK ME !!!!!!!!

also Bonfire Night (sort of dirty bonfire woodsmoke) just received from a forumite who dared to part with it-it has now found it's true home!

I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of BPAL, and, luckily for me, my first order of imps was awesome - Jack, The Hesperides, Black Forest, and Gomorrah. I ordered Hellfire as well, which I don't adore like the other four, but is amazingly good on me considering that it seems like a very masculine blend. I ordered some decants of two of LE autumn scents - Death of Autumn and October and they're both VILE on me. As soon as they touch my skin, they turn into cheap men's cologne. I'm really bummed because I wanted to love those scents. I was thinking of ordering a bottle of Samhain, but now I'm a bit nervous.

I LOVE Jack. For those that have tried Samhain, does it have similiar notes? Or does anyone have any recommendations for me? As a rule, I avoid all florals. My skin intensifies them so much that I get an instant headache. Foody, spicy, or herbal scents seem to work a lot better for me, but October was very grassy on me, and I was not a fan of that either.

Try Bonfire Night. DoA and October both didn't work on me, either, and I thought I'd love them. Bonfire Night is almost what I wanted DoA to be: just slightly smoky, just a little earthy, just a little sweet.

If you like Jack, you probably want to try the Pumpkin Plunder scents. Pumpkin I is much like Jack in that it's a top note of buttery pumpkin, and then levels out to a nice sweet fruity blend. Pumpkin III has white chocolate and pomegranate. Pumpkin V contains blood orange and red ginger.

I really like Samhain. To me it is pure autumn. It's got a lot of notes that usually don't work on me too.

If you can get them, Chrysanthemum Moon and the new Scorpio are also very autumnal.

Samhain is fabulous! No cologne in sight - just a spicy, apple cider-y blast of pure Autumn. You may also want to check the Recs for general spicy-foody scents. There are some great ones for fall that aren't necessarily classified as Autumn scents. I'm thinking Cockaigne, Shub, and the like.

Try Bonfire Night. DoA and October both didn't work on me, either, and I thought I'd love them. Bonfire Night is almost what I wanted DoA to be: just slightly smoky, just a little earthy, just a little sweet.

If you like Jack, you probably want to try the Pumpkin Plunder scents. Pumpkin I is much like Jack in that it's a top note of buttery pumpkin, and then levels out to a nice sweet fruity blend. Pumpkin III has white chocolate and pomegranate. Pumpkin V contains blood orange and red ginger.

I was intrigued by Bonfire Night, but put off by the idea of a scent with beer in it. Is it just a background note with a hops smell to it? I get a lot of smokiness off Hellfire, and I like that so Bonfire Night sounds appealing except for the beer part.

Pumpkin II sounds good. Pumpkin I is definetley a no-go because I can't stand Jasmine. Is the orange strong in Pumpkin V? Because that one just sounds lovely.

Edited by sacrilicious

Samhain is fabulous! No cologne in sight - just a spicy, apple cider-y blast of pure Autumn. You may also want to check the Recs for general spicy-foody scents. There are some great ones for fall that aren't necessarily classified as Autumn scents. I'm thinking Cockaigne, Shub, and the like.

Ohhhh Shub sounds deliciously spicy.I couldn't find Cockaigne though. What section is that one under?

Ohhhh Shub sounds deliciously spicy.I couldn't find Cockaigne though. What section is that one under?

Wanderlust, down at the bottom.

I'm also a big fan of Samhain. It's not as sweet or buttery as Jack but is a bit similar with the apple & spice with an addition of smokiness. You might want to keep an eye out for some of the old Pumpkin Patch blends (2005 & 2006). Pumpkin Patch #1 is full of spicy apple goodness & Pumpkin Patch #4 smells like buttery baked goods to me though it's pumpkin with sandalwood & orris. I haven't tried any of the new Pumpkins yet so I'm not sure how they compare.

Another good autumnal scent is Harvest Moon. Though it has a floral aspect, to me the fruit & leaves are what really comes out. I also really like Sugar Skull. It's a hard one to describe. The sugar note isn't caramel but rather like sugar melting (if you've ever made candy or caramel yourself, you'd recognize it) with light fruit (I get pear) & a bit of spice & smoke as it dries.

If you get some Shub-Niggurath, make sure to try it layered with Miskatonic University. On its own, MU is pretty caramelly but added to Shub somehow brings out this fabulous smoky note in addition to the general yummy gingeriness.

I was intrigued by Bonfire Night, but put off by the idea of a scent with beer in it. Is it just a background note with a hops smell to it? I get a lot of smokiness off Hellfire, and I like that so Bonfire Night sounds appealing except for the beer part.

Pumpkin II sounds good. Pumpkin I is definetley a no-go because I can't stand Jasmine. Is the orange strong in Pumpkin V? Because that one just sounds lovely.

The beer didn't come out too much for me, and what did appear was a nice caramel note -- not hops. In Pumpkin V, the blood orange balances really well with red ginger and pumpkin, and (thankfully) masked the vanilla. Pumpkin I didn't give off much jasmine tea, to be honest. I got all fruit (pear and grape). Of course, YMMV.

I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of BPAL, and, luckily for me, my first order of imps was awesome - Jack, The Hesperides, Black Forest, and Gomorrah. I ordered Hellfire as well, which I don't adore like the other four, but is amazingly good on me considering that it seems like a very masculine blend. I ordered some decants of two of LE autumn scents - Death of Autumn and October and they're both VILE on me. As soon as they touch my skin, they turn into cheap men's cologne. I'm really bummed because I wanted to love those scents. I was thinking of ordering a bottle of Samhain, but now I'm a bit nervous.

I LOVE Jack. For those that have tried Samhain, does it have similiar notes? Or does anyone have any recommendations for me? As a rule, I avoid all florals. My skin intensifies them so much that I get an instant headache. Foody, spicy, or herbal scents seem to work a lot better for me, but October was very grassy on me, and I was not a fan of that either.

I would HIGHLY recommend Samhain for you. I'm the same way - I want the autumny scents to work on me, but I can't deal when they get too much like cologne. I actually like Samhain even more than Jack. Where Jack is foody/buttery/peachy on me, Samhain is pumpkiny with all of those other nice autumny notes, and is still really wearable. On me it wears just like the description - fall-y, woodsy, and then spicy fall pumpkin, and (for me anyway) absolutely NO headache in sight. I'm getting a bottle of it for sure. :P

I would HIGHLY recommend Samhain for you. I'm the same way - I want the autumny scents to work on me, but I can't deal when they get too much like cologne. I actually like Samhain even more than Jack. Where Jack is foody/buttery/peachy on me, Samhain is pumpkiny with all of those other nice autumny notes, and is still really wearable. On me it wears just like the description - fall-y, woodsy, and then spicy fall pumpkin, and (for me anyway) absolutely NO headache in sight. I'm getting a bottle of it for sure. :P

Oh I'm convinced. Jack is like the epitome of awesome for me, so if Samhain is even better I MUST have it!

I'm another for whom DoA and October were pretty nassssty, but who loves Samhain. The spices and hint of smoke are wonderful.

As for other scents mentioned: :P Shub is probably my absolute all time fave BPAL as well. Pumpkin 1 and 3 are too sweet for me, but 2 is great, and 4 and 5 are nice. I think 4 smells most like Jack to me. I like Jack though it is kind of sweet, but what I like to do is layer it with other things. It's very nice with the sandalwood of Anne Bonny, and with the amber of Haunted, it's what I wished Pumpkin Queen to be.

For me, Lampades [cranberry with smoky dark lilies, musk, ginger & Mediterranean spices] is wonderfully autumnal. :P