Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

there are so many in my box o' bottles that qualify as good autumn scents, but one that doesn't get much mention that i really have been looking forward to wearing is Malkuth. it totally reminds me of this oil i used to buy in a local witchy shop that is long gone that was for Autumn Equinox. i was born a little over 2 weeks after the equinox and have always felt a special affinity with it, anyways, whenever i wore that Autumn Equinox oil i would get compliments like mad and it was a spicy fall scent, i looooved it, and the point of that ramble is that Malkuth is the very closest thing to that oil that i have ever found. it has to be aged a couple months after recieving it from the lab to get at the precise scent i'm talking about though. but it is way worth the wait!

i would agree w/ sarada about lilith...perfect for fall, and i love samhain (duh), bengal is autumnal to me also, as well as hesperides, tintagel, mabon, king and queen of spades, king and queen of spades, all saints, ddlm, heck i could go on and on, i love autumn scents.

I'm very torn about what I'll do about an autumn scent...on the one hand, I have many lovely BPAL that would do lovely-like, and which I couldn't wear during the summer. On the other hand, there's Dole + Gabanna By, which I wore all last autumn and winter and which brings me back to that happy, friend-filled time whenever I smell it. It's the scent I now associate the most strongly with the cold months, particularly the best aspects of those cold months, and I don't want to override or marginalize that scent memory :P

See, my friends all graduated, so I'm now pretty lonely here at school :D and if I start wearing scents I can't connect to anything, then...well...it doesn't help that disconnected feeling. Wearing By would.

And yet, I want to flaunt my lovely fall BPALs!! :D

Any suggestions?

Oh, poor Josey! :P That must be tough. What I would do is go ahead and wear your D+G when you are feeling disconnected and want that lovely, comforting boost. I know what you mean about wanting to keep that memory connection. Then, on days when you're feeling not so lonely, or maybe hanging out with a new group of people, you can wear your fave autumn BPAL and make some new memory connections.

Hang in there!

I really love Hesperides for early fall, like this time of year where you start seeing apple cider and caramel apples - on me it just smells like caramel and apples. Delicious.

As far as comfy baked-good fall smells:

Jack

Gingerbread Poppet

Sugar Skull

Bengal (my new favorite!)

I just ordered Seance because someone said it was like dead leaves, so that might be nice for late fall....

I love fall so much I celebrate it in phases, you see....

I already posted this in the layering thread, but since I saw the Jack + ?? mentions up above, I have to throw in: Jack + Hexennacht smells simply divine! I always have to make sure I don't put on too much of either scent, but MMM goodness when it's in correct proportion.

:P

what if your idea of autumn is spicy, warm and soothing. i'm not a fan of the smoky, incensey, bonfire type scents and in the UK pumpkin pies don't feature too highly on the menu....well not in my house anyway!

my idea of autumn (we are talking mid to late october here as it's my birthday!) is:

mulled wine

cinnamon

leaving the house in the morning frost all wrapped up warmly

sitting in a warm room in pyjamas and thick woolly socks, all wrapped up in a blanket watching  chick flicks and drinknig hot chocolate

i adore three witches and am now down to my last bottle so i think this one will get finished quickly if i don't find others to use! what else might i have missed that could fit my description?

You should definitely try some Tintagel.

I am sooooo looking forward to wearing lots of Masquerade, Grand Guignol and of course my beloved Hunter Moon. :D

ETA: How could I forget my newest love, Sudha Segara! :P Spicy and comforting.

Just skimming through this thread, it doesn't look like anyone has recommended Lampades yet. I tried it last night before bed on a whim, without checking to see what the notes are, and was delighted by its spiced fruitiness -- not quite berry, not quite apple -- with what seemed to me like undernotes of smoke and maybe even tobacco. It's not foody, even though the top note IS fruit (cranberry, as it happens). It's just a wonderful rich blend that speaks of the crisp days of autumn.

Dia de los Muertos, The Hesperides, Perversion, Queen of Clubs, and Samhain are shaping up to be my go-to fall scents this year. Especially Dia de los Muertos.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Hell's Belle! It encapsulates autumn for me perfectly. It's the smell of yellowed decaying leaves and dried, dusty flowers, which not everyone would particularly enjoy, but which I love. That is the exact scent I've been searching BPAL for, but couldn't find. Until the Lab sent a Hell's Belle frimp with my order. I swear those people are psychic.

Someone earlier said they tried Jack and hated it. Well, when I first got it I also HATED it. But after a while the scent of the imp got to me and I tried it again, right before I was about to sell it, and WOW. This scent is worth another shot. It is a bit intense at first... but let it set. It is THE perfect Autumn scent: spicy, sweet, warm, pumpkin-y, and just reminds me of a walk down my old trick-or-treat spot when I was a kid. With the leaves flying through the air, seeing spots of orange glowing on porches and walkways...

Samhain personally didn't remind me of Autumn at all. All Saints, however, evoked a very creepy kind of Cathedral feel to it, very somber. Jack is the more fruitful aspect of fall for me.

Yes, I realize I'm way early but...well I'm still waiting on my first ever BPAL order and figure that maybe I should order in advance. I have been trading a fair amount though. So here's my dilemma:

I have found that I really like the following scents:

Aglaea

Pele

Red Lantern

Utrennyaya

However, outside of maybe red lantern they don't seem like fall scents. Based on those could you recommend something I might like that would suit the fall/winter season? I think red lantern would work but it's LE so I'd like something I could wear more frequently. (I must say I turned out to be a lot more feminine and girly than I expected but those are my favorites so far...)

WARNING: I don't like woodsy or incense scents (I've found this out because of incidents with cedar, patchouli, and myrrh)

Also these are the scents coming from the lab when they are back up and running: Szepasszony, Xiuhtecuhtli, Juliet, Katharina, Carnal, La Belle au Bois Dormant, The Lady of Shalott, O, The Lion, The Hanging Garden, Morocco, Dorian, Bathsheba, and The Mock Turtle's Lessons.

Will any of those be fall worthy?

I really appreciate any and all suggestions!

You might want to try Jack (Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove), Florence (Elegant iris, bright berries, gilded amber and velvety spices), and The Hesperides (oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple). Jack and The Hesperides are very 'fall' smelling to me, and Florence has the amber, fruit, and spice that you seem to be having luck with. You also might want to try something like March Hare, which is just apricot and warm clove. Tamora also sounds like something that you might like.

When I think of fall, that's the sort of perfume that I think of... warm spices. But, really, I'll wear anything no matter what time of year it is, lol.

The Lion and O always strike me as nice, warm fall fragrances as well :P

The Lion is an all time favorite of mine. It would be a good fall scent (as well as a good winter, spring and summer scent).

March Hare is delicious smelling. As long as the cloves don't run away from you the way they started doing on me, it should be another good year round scent. Since it's rather pastry-ish it feels a bit more like fall.

Bengal, Morocco, White Rabbit, Sudha Segera, Silk Road, Baghdad, Spellbound, Scherezade, Sybaris, and Fenris Wolf are some scents I'm planning to try that might be up your alley for fall.

I don't pay much attention to weather either tho. Either it's the scent I want to wear or it's not.

Kalli

I think out of the ones you listed, Morocco and the Lion seem the most "fall" to me. For some reason, I see O as a great scent for hot weather, it just melds with your skin's natural scent.

Anyway, I digress...what about The Great Sword of War? That scent seemed very fall to me...very complex and lovely (although it didn't last too long on me, but maybe for you that won't be the case :P )

AND...although it has myrrh in it, which I don't smell all that much when I wear it, Velvet, to me, is a great fall/winter scent. Very warm and soothing when it's cold and icky outside.

You might want to try Jack (Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove), Florence (Elegant iris, bright berries, gilded amber and velvety spices), and The Hesperides (oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple). Jack and The Hesperides are very 'fall' smelling to me, and Florence has the amber, fruit, and spice that you seem to be having luck with. You also might want to try something like March Hare, which is just apricot and warm clove. Tamora also sounds like something that you might like.

When I think of fall, that's the sort of perfume that I think of... warm spices. But, really, I'll wear anything no matter what time of year it is, lol.

The Lion and O always strike me as nice, warm fall fragrances as well :P

I knew Jack would be suggested! It screamed fall when I looked at the description. I'm a October baby anyway so pumpkins always make me happy. My only worry is that I'm not entirely sure what cloves smell like. But I think I should try it anyway because the other scents look yummy!

Florence was actually on my wishlist but now I'll have to put extra stars next to it. I think my problem is that frequently when people say "spices" it turns out to be incense notes and not what I consider spices. But I'm flexible. I love Utrennyaya and it has Sandalwood in it which I thought I'd never like. The iris, amber, and berries, however, make it look like a nice scent. Oh I love this community!

The Hesperides looks a wee bit woodsy to me. Is it? Sometimes the ingredients don't line up with the smell. Tamora and March Hare do have that apricot/peach note which I seem to like...I'll have to add those too!

And yeah I think of warm spices as well...which is tricky as I've said because of what certain people deem "spices". But if this community has taught me anything, it to try everything! I appreciate the suggestions, thank you! (also happy to see that some of the scents coming might work for fall)

The Lion is an all time favorite of mine. It would be a good fall scent (as well as a good winter, spring and summer scent).

March Hare is delicious smelling. As long as the cloves don't run away from you the way they started doing on me, it should be another good year round scent. Since it's rather pastry-ish it feels a bit more like fall.

Bengal, Morocco, White Rabbit, Sudha Segera, Silk Road, Baghdad, Spellbound, Scherezade, Sybaris, and Fenris Wolf are some scents I'm planning to try that might be up your alley for fall.

I don't pay much attention to weather either tho. Either it's the scent I want to wear or it's not.

Ok, I'm really looking forward to my order now! Poor labbies getting settled in. I think The Lion may have to be the first one I try though. It's gotten so many good recs and now that I know it would be a good scent...so excited! And a second vote for march hare. Interesting, I hadn't thought about it bu I'll have to give it a shot now!

And thanks for the list that you're trying! I've written them down. Some of them I'll have to look up again because my memory is a little shoddy. I actually have white rabbit here though waiting to be tested. Better move that up the list! It's only a partial imp though and I'd definitely have to order more if I fall for it. Pun not intended.

I don't make my scents coordinate with the weather on purpose but I know that when it gets colder and begins to snow, I'm not going to want the same light florals. It simply won't fit my mood. I'll want something mroe warm and cozy.

I think out of the ones you listed, Morocco and the Lion seem the most "fall" to me. For some reason, I see O as a great scent for hot weather, it just melds with your skin's natural scent.

Anyway, I digress...what about The Great Sword of War? That scent seemed very fall to me...very complex and lovely (although it didn't last too long on me, but maybe for you that won't be the case :D )

AND...although it has myrrh in it, which I don't smell all that much when I wear it, Velvet, to me, is a great fall/winter scent. Very warm and soothing when it's cold and icky outside.

That's 3 for 3 on The Lion! Still happy to know there will probably be some fall scents waiting for me when I get back from my summer vacation.

I do remember The Great Sword of War looking intriguing. I've added it to my list and will go back to the reviews once more. Plus, the name is just so fun!

A lot of people seem to like Velvet. I admit I was put off by seeing that there was myrrh in it. But you don't think it's very strong? I may just have to check it out then! Yeah for the swap list!

Thanks for the tips :D

I knew Jack would be suggested! It screamed fall when I looked at the description. I'm a October baby anyway so pumpkins always make me happy. My only worry is that I'm not entirely sure what cloves smell like.

I actually don't get much clove out of Jack. Mostly it smells like buttery pumpkin bread and spice cake on me :P. It's very warm and foodie. A lot of clove scents smell 'off' on me, so I have a hard time describing what clove should smell like. Thankfully, I didn't get that weird clove smell from Jack, lol.

The Hesperides looks a wee bit woodsy to me. Is it?

Some people get a slight oaken note from it... on me it's like crisp caramel apples, apple cider, and the smell of autumn air and leaves. Mostly I get apple cider in the drydown. If you just don't like cedar blends, you shouldn't let that scare you away from all woodsy blends though. Cedar tends to smell foul on me, and I love a lot of other wood-type blends.

And yeah I think of warm spices as well...which is tricky as I've said because of what certain people deem "spices". But if this community has taught me anything, it to try everything!

I definitely agree with that last statement, lol. I really strongly dislike quite a few of the BPAL incense blends, but Midnight Mass is one of my absolute favorites (most velvety-gorgeous scent ever) and I've fallen in love with so many blends containing frankincense and myrrh. There are different types of resins and incense notes, so one can smell awful and another completely amazing... or they might be paired with other notes that completely change them. One of my favorite things about BPAL is how often I'm surprised by loving a perfume that I thought I would despise.

Oh, and just to throw out one more scent that you might want to consider: Eclipse (bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon), it smelled like lovely vanilla and cinnamon on me.

Dragon's Milk is also sweet, warm, milky and comforting.

Okay. I'll shutup now, lol.

Well, based on my own experiences; The Hesperides is apples an a tad bark-y/oak-y. Hamadryad is another autumn scent, at least I think the older, more cinnamonny stuff was.

Personally, I´d say Graveyard Dirt, or Zombi, if you´d rather go for a GC :P Also Nosferatu and maybe Jazz Funeral? I tend to think of the smell of dirt/soil when I think of autumn, but YMMV, yes? :D

Oh, and Bliss, for that gooey, just-wanna-stay-snuggled-up-inside-scent.

Edited by modesty_blaise

Verdandi is a great fall apple cidery scent. You might also try Morocco, Scherezade, Dragon's Heart, Fenris Wolf and Sugra Segara. I really like foody blends when it's colder, but my favorites are all LE's: Gingerbread Poppet, Beaver Moon, the Monsterbaits- especially Underbed.

I imagine once the lab gets settled again shipping times will go way down, there'll still be a wait, but not as bad as this. There was even a time a few months ago that I got my lab order 10 days after I placed it! :P

Here are a few links to some other threads that you might want to check out too:

BPAL to represent each month, each season?:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=5134&hl=

Autumn scents, ...which would you recommend?:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=3920&hl=

Late summer into autumn, I don't mean purely autumn scents:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=13954&hl=

Hope that helps! :D

A lot of people seem to like Velvet. I admit I was put off by seeing that there was myrrh in it. But you don't think it's very strong? I may just have to check it out then! Yeah for the swap list!

Thanks for the tips :P

I don't think it is, but that is on my skin. I mainly smell sandlawood and chocolate, with a touch of smokiness. However, I noticed when I read reviews on the board that for some people whose skin amps up myrrh, the myrrh was very noticeable.... I would definetely suggest trying it though, it is one of the most warm and enveloping scents I have ever come across!

Another one you might want to try is Nefertiti. It has myrrh, but it's very light (it's actually the only oil with myrrh that has ever worked on me- it's usually way too sweet).