Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

Hamadryad is my perfect autumn scent-it's like an autumnal potpourri of cinnamon, wood chips, tree bark and moss. And also Tintagel.

Mabon is fantastic for early autumn.

I thought Bewitched was autumnal as well-it's the blackberry scent, I think.

March Hare is late summer-early autumn to me.

It was an LE, but my favorite Autumn scent ever is All Saints. A little sweet, a little smokey, a little woody, a little resiny...and it's kinda dark and disturbing in a way, which is one of the great things about Autumn, to me! I'm hoping, really really hoping, that Beth will consider bringing it back this year.

Also, Wolf Moon smells like cold air and woodsmoke and wild places to me.

As for the catalog scents, I think that Penitence is a great one for crisp, cool days. It's all about perfectly blended frankincense and myrrh...sweet, pure and resiny. I'll be wearing it a lot this Fall.

Hellfire smells like a cozy night in front of a fire in a library that smells of pipe tobacco and leather. Very autumnal.

I think Queen of Clubs is going to be an Autumnal scent for me, along with Jack and Tintagel. And Ulalume for those wet, grey, damp days.

I think I'll eventually figure something out by the time my latest order arrives, but I would appreciate a little insight between La Bella and Vinland or Dublin and Leanan Sidhe. I can NOT wait for September, even if it means going back to school!

I can't speak about Vinland/La Bella, because my La Bella imp hasn't arrived yet. But about Dublin/Leanan Sidhe: I think Leanan Sidhe is a softer, sweeter, lighter, very feminine form of Dublin. I think it is perfect for spring & summer, but do not think of it for autumn at all. I do think Dublin would be good for Autumn/Winter, as it is a nice green scent, with hints of sweetness and ozone. I never catch the white roses myself, but mainly smell the alder and the forest.

The Lion's glorious golden spiced amber is perfect for early autumn :D And I can't forget the perfection of pure Sweet Clove...the perfect balance of spice and sweetness that dries down to an exquisite skin scent :P

The Lion's glorious golden spiced amber is perfect for early autumn  :D And I can't forget the perfection of pure Sweet Clove...the perfect balance of spice and sweetness that dries down to an exquisite skin scent :D

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Lion, when I ordered it just for Fall! :P

I'm drooling about my pending order... I'm thinking it won't fit inside a breadbox. :P

Thanks, empi girl, Dublin should be the one to get, then. It sounds so damn heavenly I want some tomorrow.

I'm drooling about my pending order... I'm thinking it won't fit inside a breadbox. :D

Thanks, empi girl, Dublin should be the one to get, then. It sounds so damn heavenly I want some tomorrow.

Happy to help! :P

Ulalume! I tried that a little bit ago and I found it to be the perfect leaves smell... it's amazing how long it lasted on me, too.

Hamadryad worked well on me, but it was a bit too neutral. If it was a tid bit more crisp, I might have bought a 5ml.

Dublin would have been nice, if I wouldn't have had such a horrid reaction to it... sniffles and nausea and a headache. :P at least I got to give it to someone that will love it.

The Lion! Great for this end of August time. The dry grasses, blue sky and the hope that warmth will never end. The sun just left Leo and so you can hold on to the majesty (perhaps the tail) of the lion for just a while longer. Such a good recommendation.

I also recommend Sudha Segara highly for the lead in to cool weather.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Verdandi is total autumn to me. It's woods, apples, herbs and spices. Walking through an apple orchard in October.

ETA: Just tested Velvet and surprisingly it's very autumn to me. It's the sandalwood that does it. After it's dry for a bit, this lovely burning wood and smoke scent starts to come out, and mingles with the chocolate.

Edited by decemberine

This might seem odd, but I have discovered a really nice scent for Autumn...actually a combination of scents, discovered while testing imps.

Jack is the obvious thing. It smells (at least on me) of 'harvest spice' candles. But it's a little 'much', I think, because it's awfully sweet. But then, I tried a bit of 'Burial' just to test it, and discovered something interesting.

The two scents (to me, at least) seem to mingle nicely without interfering with each other as I move about. One minute, warm spicy pie-like scent, the next, cool foresty green-ness. The overall impression I get is of sitting on a porch on an autumn night. Sometimes, you can smell the pie coming from inside the house, but then the wind shifts, and it's the damp greenery of an autumn night. I don't know why this works, but it does. And it keeps either one from tiring your nose out. :P

Lughnasadh is great for late summer/early autumn :D

I hope to be using the Clubs quite a bit this autumn :D although I find myself longing for the heavy oriental D+B By :P I wore it last autumn and the scent softly permeated my black turtleneck sweater, so that when I rolled up the neck I'd catch a whiff...it's sorta embedded itself in my scent memory, and I don't know if I can give that up, even for BPAL...it just has nice autumn memories associated with it.

Man, now I'm wishing I had Hexennacht....

Any other scents that smell like forests and dead leaves without being floral or overly woody?

Don't be sad, I didn't think Hexennacht was all that leafy, myself. Graveyard Dirt is very loamy, so in that sense is foresty, but not woody.

sh1mm3r, I think Seance smells just exactly like fallen leaves.

You know how sometimes you can read a book and never notice a certain quotation, listen to a song and never really hear the lyrics?

How many times have I read the BB page and never seen Seance?!?

I guess it was waiting until I was ready for it to appear. I will add this one to my order!

Late autumn flavor would be Sea of Glass. It's a nice cool breeze of late autumn with a deep lilac scent to me.

This might seem odd, but I have discovered a really nice scent for Autumn...actually a combination of scents, discovered while testing imps.

Jack is the obvious thing. It smells (at least on me) of 'harvest spice' candles. But it's a little 'much', I think, because it's awfully sweet. But then, I tried a bit of 'Burial' just to test it, and discovered something interesting.

The two scents (to me, at least) seem to mingle nicely without interfering with each other as I move about. One minute, warm spicy pie-like scent, the next, cool foresty green-ness. The overall impression I get is of sitting on a porch on an autumn night. Sometimes, you can smell the pie coming from inside the house, but then the wind shifts, and it's the damp greenery of an autumn night. I don't know why this works, but it does. And it keeps either one from tiring your nose out.  :P

I was just going to post about this very idea:

Has anyone come up with their own mixture of catalog oils to make an Autumn scent? I can't afford to order The Pumpkin Patch, and don't want every scent in it anyway, so I was wondering if I could mix something up myself.

Smokey-woodsy-pumpkin: Jack+Hamadryad+Djinn? Jack+Yggdrasil+Brimstone? Jack+Black Forest+Djinn?

Cider-leafy-pumpkin: Jack+Verdandi+Ulalume?

Cocoa-nutty-pumpkin: Jack+Hellcat? Jack+Gluttony?

Thank you for the Jack+Burial suggestion, Nachtwulf!

My personal autumn scents are probably different from a lot of other peoples' -- for me, Lilith, Depraved, Lust, March Hare and Nosferatu are favorites (and I only have them as imps!). Red wine, red musk, apricot, patchouli, clove, dirt...those are my autumn smells. Dragon's blood as well is very autumnal for me...and Dragon's Milk is working out to be a good fall scent for me even though it has a certain gourmand quality (something I normally loathe). I had expected that fall would be when Snake Oil would work for me but instead I'll be reaching for Snake Charmer.

I've been saving Djinn for the fall as well because it smells like a bonfire. Brimstone will also probably come out this year in the fall.

Hopefully my imps will last me through the season because I don't think I'll be able to get any bottles before the seasons change again.

I think Dragon's Heart is a great autumnal scent. It's rich an warm and makes me think of reading fantasy books by the fire... while my boyfriend is outside raking the leaves for me. :P

I wore a combination of Jack and Dragon's Heart today. Very warm and autumn to me. Jack's got the sweet end of it, the pumpkiny, baking cookies smell while Dragon's Heart is more earthy and warm. It's a great combination!

what if your idea of autumn is spicy, warm and soothing. i'm not a fan of the smoky, incensey, bonfire type scents and in the UK pumpkin pies don't feature too highly on the menu....well not in my house anyway!

my idea of autumn (we are talking mid to late october here as it's my birthday!) is:

mulled wine

cinnamon

leaving the house in the morning frost all wrapped up warmly

sitting in a warm room in pyjamas and thick woolly socks, all wrapped up in a blanket watching chick flicks and drinknig hot chocolate

i adore three witches and am now down to my last bottle so i think this one will get finished quickly if i don't find others to use! what else might i have missed that could fit my description?