Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

i didn't realize samhain even had it as a listed note, though in retrospect i guess it probably does.

though it's not really an autumn scent per se, i love the caterpillar in autumn, along with the coiled serpent. i'm a big fan of samhain, samhainophobia, pumpkin I (the one with the brown musk), chimera, and raven moon.

I love the smell of autumn and keep seeing Samhain mentioned as a popular fall scent, but I'm not a big pumpkin fan (well, the SMELL of pumpkins anyway, I do love Jack-O-Lanterns!) so I'm a little leery of putting this one on my "to hunt" list. So how strong is the pumpkin in this?

I agree- I am NOT a fan of the pumpkin note, which always goes sickly sweet and OFF in a bad way on my skin. I've smelled three years of Samhain and never noticed the pumpkin note being even remotely prominent (or even noticeable, really). I get some fir (but not pine trees attack), resins, spices, and apples mostly. Warm, earthly scent and not something I'd call sweet or buttery at all.

Lambs Wool & Samhain are definitely my favourites- I desperately hope they both make a return this year as I missed out on bottles last time round. Lambs Wool is such a comforting, yummy scent, whilst Samhain makes me think of tramping through woods with all the fallen leaves :wub2:

Unfortunately Samhain didn't work for me but I was really new into BPAL. I love wearing Snake Oil during Autumn and other warm, spicy bends as well as incense blends like All Souls and Midnight on the Midway. I'm excited for the new Weenies, maybe I'll find another delicious Autumn blend. I'd love to try Samhain now that I've been around for almost a year, maybe I'll feel differently about it.

Count me in as one whose never gotten pumpkin from Samhain!

Samhain is definitely my favorite autumn blend, and really the only one I need. But I love Verdandi to bits, too, and it's the perfect scent of an apple orchard in autumn. I can't believe it doesn't get more love than it does!

I can second the recommendation for Verdandi! I also love Cristina in autumn, both Hexennacht scents and Mead Moon. I also think Donna Con Ventaglio will be a beautiful scent in autumn, it's a very dark citrus-rose that I think is perfect for late-summer.

My favourite scents that evoke fall are October 2010, Autumn & Winter for the season change to winter, and Halloween: San Francisco for a fall-by-the-ocean.

Halloween: San Francisco

Falling Leaf Moon

Nothing Gold Can Stay- for those pre leaf-fall days in September with bright blue skies

The Hell-Gate of Ireland

Carlin- a cool, dark green scent

GC:

Danse Macabre- More toasted hazelnut, please! It's smoky, but you don't get the feeling you just rolled in a bonfire.

Les Infortunes de Vertu- not everyone will like this, but it does nice things on my skin when aged. Like Danse Macabre, this gives the sense of smoke without it being overwhelming.

Rumplestiltzchen- This scent is for you if you do want to smell like you rolled in a bonfire.

I have a bottle of Samhain that I absolutely love. It was my first BPAL scent! I bought it from the sale boards, full bottle, unsniffed, unfamiliar with BPAL. So, you can say it started my addiction. I have never gotten pumpkin from it. It's more of a hay/leaves/forest/apples and spice scent. I lived in New Hampshire for three years, and it reminds me of fall up there. I live in southern PA now, and fall just smells "different" in New England. October smells like it too, but it is a less spicy/sweet version of Samhain, in my opinion.

I got a sniffie of Wiley's Swamp from someone in the sale boards with an order, and it instantly reminded me of fall in PA. Kind of a wet, decaying smell compared to New Hampshire's sharp, crisp, dry coolness.

Bonfire Night smells like highschool to me! Seriously, beer and fires. It's awesome, but I don't think I would wear it as a perfume or even as a room scent. Just something to sniff every once in awhile!

Pumpkin Latte and Gingerbread Poppet are both very warm, comforting, foody type fall scents. I am anxious to try more of the "sweet" halloweenies, since I've mostly been trying the "dead, decaying leaves" type, so I'm going to switch it up this year. :D

Edited by venusinfurs

Thanks to all posters who have reassured me that the pumpkin in Samhain behaves, as I am quite excited for the Weenies, but pumpkin is not appealing for me, so that and any dead leaf things will make me run fast and run far.

What I have been loving in the cooler monsoon season here in New Jersey (who knew we even had one?) is Terisias, and also Hungry Ghost Moon and Zarita, so yes on the food thing for cooler weather.

I am hoping the coolness goes the heck away though, not quite ready for this.

I know that we are a long way away from autumn in the Northern Hemisphere, but folks in the Southern Hemisphere are heading into that lovely season. :) And I'm an autumn gal anyhow. ;)

At any rate, I've read through the entire thread, and have made note of some GCs to try. I'll check my imp collection first, though.

Alas, Jack doesn't work on me--it's rancid loud butter, and one of the few scents that I have ever had to wash off STAT!

My seasonal faves are Falling Leaf Moon (which I sometimes layer with Milk Chocolate Buttercream to sweet it up a tad), Samhain, Fearful Pleasure (love the apples), Lambs-wool '09 (more apples), Nothing Gold Can Stay (a warm scent on those rainy autumn days), Sonnet D'Atumno (for when the frosty nights start), L'Autunno Bath Oil (I use it like a perfume oil, as I like the scent of the bath oil better than the perfume oil, which is lovely itself), and Horse Chestnut Honey (which smells just like standing in a forest of chestnut trees in the autumn).

Hi everyone,

Autumn is approaching. I am looking for a floral autumnal perfume that evoke the image of yellow, golden colored flowers......

Any suggestions? :wub2:

Edited by espoir

Hi everyone,

Autumn is approaching. I am looking for a floral autumnal perfume that evoke the image of yellow, golden colored flowers......

Any suggestions? :wub2:

I haven't tried these two myself, but you could look at La Calavera Catrina (Autumn leaves, wild roses, bourbon vanilla, dry chamomile, and a bouquet of bright chrysanthemums and Mexican marigolds) from last year's Weenies, or Flor de Muerto from 2010 (The orange marigold, or zempasúchitl, has been one of Death's symbols since the pre-Columbian era. The yellow and orange petals are believed to represent the rays of the sun, bringing joy and light to the souls dwelling in the realm of the dead. These flowers surround Day of the Dead altars to guide the spirits to their offerings).

Summer's Last Will & Testament (citrus-infused Baltic amber, red valerian, marigold, blood orange, and sunflower subdued by somber myrrh and dry geranium alongside the leaves of autumn and a breath of winter wind) and Flowering Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum, marigold, golden sandalwood, vanilla, cinnamon, and amber incense) are lovely, as is Chrysanthemum Moon -- although that last one's tough to find!

I'm putting together my first imp order (yay!) and am having a hard time deciding on a fall scent. The #1 thing that makes me think of fall is warm wind (warm being 50-60 degrees) with a cold, crisp edge to it. The second thing I'd be looking for would be a wood smoke or leaf burning scent. Thoughts and suggestions? (Pumpkin, apple, and floral scents don't appeal to me, but I like an incense-y scent.)Thanks!

I'm putting together my first imp order (yay!) and am having a hard time deciding on a fall scent. The #1 thing that makes me think of fall is warm wind (warm being 50-60 degrees) with a cold, crisp edge to it. The second thing I'd be looking for would be a wood smoke or leaf burning scent. Thoughts and suggestions? (Pumpkin, apple, and floral scents don't appeal to me, but I like an incense-y scent.)Thanks!

I looked back through the thread and there are some GC autumn-like scents that were suggested. :) Otherwise, jump on one of the decant circles so you can try the Limited Edition (LE) Halloweenies as a sample, like an imp. :)

Apologies in advance -- I know you were looking for GC suggestions, but if you're willing to hunt for some Falling Leaf Moon, I think that might be right up your alley!

Samhain! Weirdly, all of a sudden it's working for me. I have 2007 I believe. It's all dark spices, apple,woods and no pumpkin sad to say on me. It reminds me of a creepy orchard.

I know it's *intention* is not at all autumnal, but I noticed today that on me the drydown of Smut smells EXACTLY like the scent you get when you burn a votive in a freshly carved jack-o-lantern. It hit me all at once so strongly that I nearly ran into a tree getting lost in a flashback of childhood Halloween! :D

Queen Alice! Never expected it to be my autumn scent, but it was the first thing I thought when I applied it. It was all I wanted the apple Weenies to be! Warm, ripe, boozy, comforting. But have to add: It's an aged imp, no idea how it smells lab-fresh!

For a GC woodsmoke scent, try an imp of Smokestack. Cathedral is also lovely for incense and cedar, and also GC. I like to wear them both together. The combination reminds me of my old fave for Autumn/Winter, Donna Karan's Black Cashmere. All warm and snuggly smoke, incense, and dry wood.

What's the BESTBESTBEST scent for autumn? Bonus if it's foody/sweet or warm and spicy! Dry, cool, and smoky scents just don't work on me D:

Sweet, foody, warm, and spicy? I'd recommend Samhain, if you don't mind waiting until the Halloweenies. I smelled of pumpkin pies and applesauce, with a side of cool autumn woods whenever I wore it. Favorite scent for all of the season.

Edited by Mokiefraggle