Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

ahh autumn. my absolute favorite season for bpal. its not so hot like spring and summer, and you can nuzzle up with a warm scent.. ah. my fave.

samhain in the past years has never worked for me, so i ordered the samhain linen spray and have high hopes. my favorite fall scents are punkie night (apples and cranberries!), santo domingo (the smokiness is so nice and warm, even if its a little tropical), bakeneko (tea! and spices. its nice, if not really fall-ish), and of course harvest moon 06 which is maybe the best scent on me EVER. i ordered this year's and i am hopeful its just as good or better! i've also got pumpkin queen and i had creepy, but they're both particularly strong/intense on me and i don't wear them that often. miskatonic u is another one i love for fall, because its so cozy/bookish. i ordered hellhound on my trail, fearful pleasure, and gunpowder this year as well - see a theme? haha. i am debating going back for things like chant d'automne and to autumn and some of the other halloweenies that i wasn't sure enough to order first. i'm really curious about a blade of grass, too.

yay autumn!

I pulled out Chrysanthemum Moon yesterday and every bit of wonderful autumn nostalgia I could ever imagine swept over me :P It's even better than I remembered and I think that a bit more age on it has something to do with that - it's smoother and deeper. This scent really personifies autumn to me!

Ahhhhhh. That's better. The weather's suddenly shifted to cool & rainy, and I can start rifling through my BPAL box & unearthing all my fall favorites:

Chrysanthemum Moon - you are absolutely right, ivyandpeony, it's even better having sat for a few months! Spicy burgundy mums, dead leaves & dark brown velvet....

Death of Autumn - that which proved I can wear vetiver! Bitter & leafy...

Devil's Night '06 - not '05, strangely. Fresh musk, dry cinnamon bark & a bit of bourbon!

Pumpkin #5 from 2007 - not one I wear a lot, but when I'm ready for something heavy & foody, it fits the bill without being too cloying.

Wezwanie/Hold - smoky honey & hazelnut nyomnyomnyom.... sorry. Drifted off there.

Sri Lanka - for those chilly but blazingly-bright fall days, clear fresh resins & incense on a high mountain breeze.

Scherezade - for rainy cold days spent curled up with a good book, all cozy musk & sandalwood incense.

Queen Alice - hot cider & a huge woolly sweater, incredibly cozy & comforting

Newer acquisitions I'm eager to break out: Lunar Eclipse, Valentine of Rome, Clemence, Hand of Glory, No. 93 Engine, A Bold Bluff...

Looking forward to the new round of Weenies, especially Blade of Grass, Pumpkin IV (cherry tobacco!), Fearful Pleasure & Ichabod Crane :P

Yep. Autumn's my favorite season - can you tell? :D

Samhain never lets me down when I seek for autumny scents.

The PP are also really evocative, and their sweet undertone catches the masculine atention, so do Creepy (apple and caramel), Plunder and Goblin. :P

Autumn scents are apparently my favorite - this is a new discovery. My favorites (pending the current batch of Halloweenies):

-Punkie Night

-Harvest Moon 2005

-L'Autunno - the patchouli should make this one horrible on me, but somehow it behaves and becomes apples, spices, and a hint of woodsmoke lurking in the background

-Creepy

I need a nice dead-leaves-and-cold-air blend, too.

Autumn scents are apparently my favorite - this is a new discovery. My favorites (pending the current batch of Halloweenies):

-Punkie Night

-Harvest Moon 2005

-L'Autunno - the patchouli should make this one horrible on me, but somehow it behaves and becomes apples, spices, and a hint of woodsmoke lurking in the background

-Creepy

Have you tried October? It has a kind of dead-leaves sharpness that makes it seem colder to me than others I've tried. November might be even cooler, but I've yet to try it. :P

-Punkie Night

-Harvest Moon 2005

-Creepy

Have you tried October? It has a kind of dead-leaves sharpness that makes it seem colder to me than others I've tried. November might be even cooler, but I've yet to try it. :P

I haven't tried either one yet - I'll have to add them to my list. Thanks!

Edited by Mordath

Is there a blend that captures the smell of smoky autumn air? I'm NOT looking for the pine-y or minty "cold" air quality, but the distinct smell you get when you step out and just know that the first chimneys are in use again :P Preferably without pumpkins or other foody components please, but I don't mind Vetiver f.i...

If that's not possible, I think a wood- and/or incense smoky smell that's not spicy/oriental would be great too (f.i. I tried Scherezade, but it feels too oriental to be "me"; but I really liked Penitence and would love something like this with a bit of wood or just a hint of vanilla or other things added).

Edited by Hypnophilia

Fearful Pleasure is amazing, the perfect autumn scent, warm mulled cider that makes me want to drink my arm (I know, my arm is not a beverage)... I'm looking forward to trying the decants I put in for, but I don't know how anything could possibly top this one.

Is there a blend that captures the smell of smoky autumn air? I'm NOT looking for the pine-y or minty "cold" air quality, but the distinct smell you get when you step out and just know that the first chimneys are in use again :D Preferably without pumpkins or other foody components please, but I don't mind Vetiver f.i...

If that's not possible, I think a wood- and/or incense smoky smell that's not spicy/oriental would be great too (f.i. I tried Scherezade, but it feels too oriental to be "me"; but I really liked Penitence and would love something like this with a bit of wood or just a hint of vanilla or other things added).

Even though Samhaim lists pumpkin as a note, I don't smell it myself (at least in the past years' versions - haven't had a chance to try the 2008 incarnation yet) - and there's a definite spicy smokiness to it. If you haven't tried it before, it might fit the bill for you.

I put on some Dia de los Muertos from 2004 today and lawdahmercy :P It has aged to the most delicious, incensey magical syrup possible.

-Punkie Night

-Harvest Moon 2005

-Creepy

Of all the Four Seasons Inquisitions, L'Autunno (specifically, the perfume) had me the most doubtful that it would work. For one, apples, which I once loved, have been turning on me (doesn't this paint a great visual? :D But sadly, it's why Punkie Night and I aren't friends anymore. At least Creepy did me the favor of being all burnt-sugary from the start so we didn't have to break up!) Anyway, I wasn't sure about the toasted almond, which can get weird and sweet, or the woodsmoke, which is a note that can just overwhelm me. But I wore it yesterday and baby oh baby :P Not to create an insane and impossible lemming in anyone who hasn't tried it, I hate when that happens to me. But if you happened to get a bottle, were on the fence about it and haven't worn it yet this season, run to your BPAL box and just see if you aren't suddenly powerless in its spell! I think you will be.

Harvest Moon '05 is another perfect Autumn blend. *sigh* Now that the cool weather's arrived in our area, I'm getting slightly panicky wanting to slap all of them on at once. Summer lasts a looooong time in Atlanta, no matter what the calendar says!

Summer lasts a looooong time in Atlanta, no matter what the calendar says!

Yay another Atlantian! Isn't the weather awesome right now? It's cooling off a lot faster than last year!

Anyway, my Autumn scents... Fearful Pleasure (going to need a second bottle for sure), Samhain '08, Pumpkin IV (reminds me a lot of Thanksgiving), and The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn on all on the top of the list this year. I have started understanding what people mean by having scents for different times of the year. For instance, Pele (one of my faves) just doesn't feel right in the fall/winter months. I want deep, dark scents.

Summer lasts a looooong time in Atlanta, no matter what the calendar says!

Yay another Atlantian! Isn't the weather awesome right now? It's cooling off a lot faster than last year!

Anyway, my Autumn scents... Fearful Pleasure (going to need a second bottle for sure), Samhain '08, Pumpkin IV (reminds me a lot of Thanksgiving), and The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn on all on the top of the list this year. I have started understanding what people mean by having scents for different times of the year. For instance, Pele (one of my faves) just doesn't feel right in the fall/winter months. I want deep, dark scents.

:P Hey all you ladies from the ATL :D The weather is totally awesome right now! I wore a coat today! A coat, a scarf, and Samhain 2003... there is no better match made in heaven or earth.

I'm really enjoying Carceri D'Invenzione lately, not that I ever stopped liking it, but I did sort of rediscover it. There's something about this scent that seems cozy and snuggly with the chill in the air and falling leaves. Warm, soft woods, sweet and spicy.

autumn scents, why samhain of course, then punkie night, haunted, midnight mass and angeronalia :P

Oy,

Hearth 04 - it's holidays for me with it's smokey cherry tobacco

Harvest Moon 05 - was indeed perfect, fruity in just the right way

All pumpkin blends - the bpal pumpkin note just screams fall in general for me!

I'm really enjoying Carceri D'Invenzione lately, not that I ever stopped liking it, but I did sort of rediscover it. There's something about this scent that seems cozy and snuggly with the chill in the air and falling leaves. Warm, soft woods, sweet and spicy.

Good call , very nice cooler weather scent indeed . Mine would be Bonfire Night . I had high hopes for Samhain , but it's just a little too spicy / potpourri for me . But Bonfire Night is just a really great fall scent . Really fits the spirit of the season .

Devil's Night, and Wolf Moon (separately, not together!) My Devil's Night is 06 I think and has mellowed a lot, but it still has that faint trace of bonfire.

Way back in the day, my go to was Hamadryad. And then it started to mysteriously smell of ben gay. :P

Now I stick to Snake Oil, Pumpkin Queen, and other 'Weenies. I like Devil's night quite a lot and can only use Samhain in moderation (SOOOO STRONG).