Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... Strength, passion, and the cleansing fire of joy: olive blossom, white nectarine, vibrant blood orange, honey absolute, lemongrass, elemi, sensual patchouli, and the quiet purity of gardenia.

This is just plain pretty. I'm not a huge floral person, but I like this very much. It's a soft, sweeping, all encompassing floral; sweet gardenia with just a hint of ......refreshing. It's kind of hard to explain, but there is a certain clean, crispness to this floral. I guess this must be the lemongrass and nectarine. The crispness is nicely balanced with a smooth, soothing honeyed herbal note. The honey absolute comes out to play with the patchouli, for a beautiful result. Quite a bit of strength for a floral blend.

This is a decadent, richly feminine scent, and I think it's just gorgeous! wub.gif

I had been wearing Angeronalia for about 4 days or so…trying to get my head around what I was smelling.

Bought the 5ml outright due to her patronage…of silence of secrets. One underestimates the power of keeping ones’ mouth shut; clearly..it has its advantages.

I also liked the idea of a festival celebrating the winter solstice.

Didn’t hurt that this has white nectarine, blood orange, and gardenia. Patchouli intrigued me in this blend..how on earth would it’s rather assertive earthiness work in this I wondered???

Initial sniff from bottle: I do smell some sort of fruit which is a toss up between the blood orange and nectarine..but behind it a sweetness..muddled with the gardenia..I think it could be the honey absolute. So far..so good. A winter fruity floral; to me the gardenia can come off as quiet and a bit chilly but not in a “stand your distance” manner; more like an icy floral..one that reminds you of the beauty of a winter landscape…the whiteness and purity and beauty.

(:P Applied wet on skin: (/b}Definitely gardenia with the tart fruit right behind it. It sort of reminds me for a quick flash of Lady of Shallott but without the ginger and slight aquatic slant. Not sure I am picking up the patchouli..which is surprising but then again it’s early.

Couple of minutes on skin: Gardenia has softened a bit..with the fruit still flitting around on the edges..I think the honey is warming up a tad bit more..still no patchouli from what I can tell..I like this scent very much. Very much work appropriate..and I think it does well in cooler weather. Cold..slightly fruity floral with a touch of sweetness that isn’t cloying..so far.

Ten minutes later: Still wafting nicely..surprisingly. The fruit and gardenia are in tandem..I wonder if the lemongrass is helping with this fruity mélange??? I clearly can smell that honey absolute with the gardenia and it gives this a grounding sweetness; I can’t be sure if it’s the patchouli that is assisting with that assumption. For some reason..I am having trouble identifying the patchouli straightaway..and actually I am thrilled about that. Just goes to show you how much of a master Beth is in intertwining notes.

I wouldn’t know olive blossom or elemi if it punched me square in the face so I am at a complete loss as to whether or not they are rearing their heads in this blend.

2+hours later: I think now I finally got the patchouli..but it’s so very softened and gentle..it’s melded with the gardenia and fruit..all of this is now just a very soft waft on me.

Lasting power on me from start to finish is basically 4 hours before re-application. Throw is soft to moderate.

Bottom Line: Angeronalia is a perfect cool floral. Sure..it flirts with fruit but it always retains it’s slightly icy beauty that made it surprisingly easy for me to come back to repeatedly. No easy feat when I have TONS of BPAL and non-BPAL fragrance just waiting to be used. Totally office appropriate and fits the niche in winter.

When this first goes on, it reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. The fruit also smells like grapefruit to me (though it's not, it just smells that way in a tart, slightly sharp way). This comes together beautifully to make a slightly fruity floral with a little hint of something foody behind it. I do really like this one, though I think it may be a little *too* floral for me to justify a bottle. Beautiful blend though!

NOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!! It had such promise...so many favorites:

blood orange

honey

patchouli

but it also ended up too air-freshner-fake-y on me. :P WAAAAHHHH!!!

I had high expectations of Angeronalia because of the description and how it felt so right for my life just now. And it certainly didn't disappoint!

In the bottle: Fresh, fruity smell. I smell the citrus notes, it's a very light scent - light as in lightness, happiness, brightness.

On my skin: Love, love, love! I put some on my wrists and knew immediately that this was amazing on me. Initially a very warm, inviting scent - I wanted to wrap myself up into it's gorgeousness. I didn't think I liked fruity scents but I absolutely adore this - the combination of fruit and floral is perfect on me. I think it's the softness of the patchouli in the background that does it. It has a fair bit of throw - I kept smelling it on myself on my way to work even though I was wearing a jumper and a coat and had only put this on my wrists.

I could smell something slightly masculine in this - or perhaps not masculine as such, but maybe a note that is often used in men's colognes? In any case it only makes this a more interesting scent.

I put it on at 8am in the morning and could still smell it at 8pm in the evening although not as strong so staying power is excellent too.

This is my new favourite and I must hunt down another bottle!

:P

smells fruity in the bottle, but different on--sort of more "perfume-y" than I usually like, but it is really lovely. It is not a perfume that smells like a thing, if you know what i mean--it is its own smell.

I can smell the nectarine (one of my favorite fruits!) a little, and sometimes the patchouli whiffs in a teensy tiny bit as it is drying--not enough to scare anyone away, though (patchouli haters, be not afraid). I think a lot of the gardenia is coming through, too...i tend to amp things like that and jasmine. I don't really smell any other individual notes, except maybe honey....it seems to be a really well-blended fragrance, where all the notes harmonize nicely.

This is a more mature and lady like scent--nothing frivolous here. i imagine it as peach and red, like a nectarine.

In the bottle this is spicy and sweet. It's definitely different. I like it alot but I was worried that it might be too strong. On my skin though it really becomes amazing. It's still spicy and sweet but it smothes out so much! I can't really pick out any of the notes specifically though. Even after having it on for well over a half hour, I can't really pick out anything specific.

It's very pretty though and could maybe even be a great scent on a man.

in the imp: a sweet floral. i get lilacs, mostly.

wet on skin: the lilac fades back a bit and now a pink grapefruit note is coming up. nice!

dry down: floral-citrus in equal measure.

in all: not my thing, but there's a bunch of folks i think would really, really like this

:P

I got Angeronalia for 2 reasons. 1. Based on the reviews/notes, it sounded lovely and like something different than what I usually go for, and 2. I've been reading a series set in ancient Rome and this seemed like a fitting scent to wear with my newfound love of the time period.

Bottle: orange peel, florals.

wet and dry: there is something sparkly about this. It almost smells like champagne tastes, if that makes sense. I definitely get the orange, which I love. There is something I can't place...maybe the olive blossom, b/c I don't really know what it smells like alone. Anyway, I also get florals, but they're not sickly sweet. Instead, they are very light and almost an afterthought on me. I think the honey and lemongrass tone them down, which is good. This is more floral than I usually like in a scent, but overall, it's very nice and the floral is not overwhelming.

It certainly is an energizing, joyous bpal product!

I think this is a nice day-time scent, though probably too light for 'evening wear'.

Edited by scarletgenesis

In the bottle: It's hard to describe...I'm wanting to say it's an 'herbal' smell at first, because the light, fluffy notes that I would normally associate with florals aren't there. It's a very down-to-earth scent, instead, though as I huff deeper and longer, that sweet note does rise to the surface; I'm assuming that's the gardenia.

Wet: This scent has warm tones to it; it speaks to me of a candlelit ritual or gathering, one that centers around radiance and joy, where wreaths of olive leaves and pure white flowers adorn everything. It is verdant without being excessively flowery; all of those thicker, heavier notes blend together and come to me; while I can't pick out olive blossom, honey, lemongrass or patchouli exclusively, I can definitely tell that they're *there*, based on the 'texture' that the scent gives off. I'm afraid this really isn't doing a very good job of saying what it *smells* like, other than that it's warm and earthy and OMG so nice.

Dry: Unfortunately, after a while it wears off and gets very faint, with just a hint of sweet floral remaining. I'm sort of surprised that I couldn't detect the citrus notes at all, but that's okay.

Verdict: This scent is divine! I'm so glad that I got a bottle of it; the very down-to-earth quality of it is what makes it beautiful to me. This is another one that I would recommend for people who do not like traditional 'sweet' florals, who like a bit of solidity to their scent.

In the bottle –Slightly soapy oranges

Wet on me – Warm, slightly bitter citrus

Dry on me – A kind of warm beeswax sort of scent with a touch of bitterness and a slight hint of soap

Overall – I’m not certain if I like this, but it’s certainly atmospheric

Before I even start, I want to admit that this one scares the pants off me. Florals make me sneeze. Badly. I don't like them and can't wear them. But every once in a while, a floral mixed with patchouli will work. Vixen (patchouli and orange bossom) is heaven and Hetairae (patchouli and ylang ylang) is my "little black dress" of bpals. I also like citrus scents on occasion, especially for summer. So this has the theoretical potential to work, but well also wind up as a wash-off in ten minutes scent if it triggers the rhinitis.

In the imp: Terrifyingly old lady floral. Rank gardenia and other moldy flowers. Ugh. Am I really going to try this?

Wet on skin: Yes, I really am taking the plunge. At first application this is gardenia with a bit of citrus (I would say something like mandarin orange -- sweet, but a bit tinny), with something sharp I can't identify on the back of the palate. I have not sneezed yet, but boy does this ever not smell like me at this stage!

Early dry down (10 minutes): Well, it's not quite a wash-off-immediately-or-the-sinuses-will-die. Which is good. The bad is that it is still VERY floral, and not showing many signs of being richened or tamed by the patchouli. The top note is decidedly gardenia and a vry true to life one at that. This is a smell I happen to enjoy very much outdoors where it belongs. On my wrist, however, it makes me think of 60-something Junior League Members with blonde washed hair of the type that is "set" rather than styles. The citrus has pretty much disappeared on me, and what is left behind the magnolia is a damp, green leaves kind of smell. At the moment, this is like rain in Georgia.

Late dry down (30 minutes): This never hit "wash me" territory, but it certainly isn't a favorite for me. It's ALL gardenia, and that damp, almost moldy smell behind the floral has lingered. I smell like an old lady. It's not one I'd ever wear. Too bad.

Edited by kakiphony

so this is my first posting ever so here goes... as this was the introductory imp (the few before didn't count cause they weren't really me) i thought it befitting that i review it first. to me this smelled sophisticated and confident in it's own mature beauty not the girly cute fragrances that i was so used to. it smelled like the woman i want to be but haven't quiet become yet :P that must sound wierd especially since i am almost 26 but thats how it makes me feel. i hope someone understands what i mean. all i know is i really like it but just don't know if i am ready to wear it. almost as if by wearing it i am declaring my willingness to let go of my immaturities.

This smells a lot like the old Bath and Body Works Gingham cologne. That, and Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers.

I'm 26, but this is way too young for me - maybe because it brings me back to childhood 'fumes, but I feel like I've been there, done that.

If I was looking for a BPAL version of either of these perfumes, though, I'd be all about it, because obviously Beth's creation smells nicer than any commercial perfume could ever try to.

Fresh, sunny, bright, and waaaay too happy and "yellow" scented for me! I don't hate it though.

3.7 out of 5

Initial impressions: Oh, this has citrus... always a warningsign for me. Anyways... For science! Or well, reviews anyways.

In the imp: citrus! mostly grapefruit.

wet: still very much citrus... more lemony now..

Drying down: lemon hard candy

Dry: Aaand its cleaning aid to my nose... Pure citrus. If you are looking for a nice citrus scent this is it but it is not for me.

I wanted this when it was available, but wasn't able to get my hands on it it until now. I know I liked the ingredients listed, but don't remember what they were. Trying it without checking on that.

Rose. Just rose. Pure, simple, unaffected rose.

Not the candy-and-chemicals rose ...

Not your Granny's rose perfume ...

Not that deep, luscious, velvety red rose with a twang of clove and citrus ...

An elegant, perfectly formed, tall white rose, wearing a few tasteful dewdrops in the early dawn light. Clean, gentle rose, with just a hint of spice ...

And that was it for the entire two hours it lasted on my skin. I adore this scent. The only thing I'd like better would be if it could last longer.

ETA: Now that I review the ingredients, I see there's not a drop of rose anywhere in it. Isn't that something? On me, it's rose. Huh. :D

Love it! :P

Edited by celtimor

In the vial: Oooh, there's an exceptional floral in here somewhere, and the blend smells wonderful: bright citrus, nectarine, and floral.

Wet: Evergreeny floral, with a brightness of citrus peeking through. The patchouli is developing too, as well as the olive note. Is that unfamiliar note the elemi? I get floral, a bit of lemongrass, some sweetness, and a waft of gardenia. This one needs to blend some.

Half an hour: Despite the large number of ingredients I like and wear often, this scent is turning out to be something very unusual on me. Floral fruity goodness, built on a foundation of patchouli and that elusive note which I've tentatively identified as elemi. TThere's a wonderful, slightly bitter quality about it. Instead of being sweet, fruity, citrusy, or cloyingly floral, it's rich, complex, and a bit dark. I don't get this scent at all, but I'm finding that I really, really like it.

One hour: Still very complex, dark, and a bit bitter. Warm, sexy, pungent floral, not at all overbearing. Golly, I love this one! It's quite amazing that I'm not particularly getting the fruit, citrus, honey, or gardenia which is typical for me. Even the olive blossom is different than usual; it must be the elemi making all the difference.

Two and a half hours: Still going strong. The patchouli reads as almost evergreen, not the chewy or menthol type. The floral is stronger, the fruit weaker than before, and there's still that pleasantly bitter note giving it balance. This is a strong woman's perfume, that is, a perfume for a strong woman.

Three and a half hours: Still wonderful. I found a bottle of this!

This is much more sharp and bright than I expected. Olive blossom and nectarine over (light!) patchouli.

I immediately get lemongrass out of this, which is nice...I don't think I'd ever worn an oil with lemongrass as a very prominent note like this before, but it's pleasant. Then the blood orange comes in and brightens everything up. Very sunny, but fresh! I also get a sense of aquatics, but that might be one of the other notes coming into play that I just don't recognize. No patchouli on me, just fresh fruit and gardenia.

It almost smells like one of those trendy perfumes that the Gap or someone like that would make...very clean-smelling, fresh, and feminine. I happen to like those perfumes, but don't like wearing them because of the alcohol base, so I really like this one. It also smells very summery, which kinda made me blink and go, "huh...this was a Yule scent?" But that also makes sense in its way. I can imagine that in the dead of winter it would be comforting and cheering to wear a scent like this, in anticipation of the warm weather to come.

God I am in LOVE!

This is really really hrd for me to pick notes out of, only because there are so many. But..it's defiantely a zesty floral. Rather than describe the notes of this I'm gonna describe the whole thig as best I can.

This smells EXPENSIVE!!! This smells like something Chanel or Esteé Lauder would do. It's effing beautiful. If I wanted to dress up in a posh dress in drag or soemthing and feel exquisite, Angeronalia would be what I would want to wear. It reminds me of sophisticated women, in posh wine bars.

I adore this, I'm a boy...but I have days of wanting to wear something as gorgeous as this and now I'm on the hunt for a bottle. The throw is very intense and I only have to use one swipe and it's POW!

This is a winner.

WANT!!!!!

Well, hello there Gardenia. Are you going to let all the other gorgeous scents in here come out to play?

...no. You're just going to amp. I smell like GARDENIA. It's a bit soapy, and I'm disappointed. I can get just a hint of beautiful things, but they're all swallowed up by the gardenia. Super sad.

This scent is an odd one for me. In the imp, wet on my skin and dry for the first couple of hours, all I get is tart fruit. Now there is a slight floral element, but I think it's more the Olive blossom rather than the gardenia, since I appear to not amp gardenia very well of late. This is interesting, but not a favorite.

On: Wow. I definitely get the bright blood orange and lemongrass with milky gardenia. Very pretty.
1 hour in: Powdery fruit and gardenia. Sigh...I love gardenia.
2 hours in: I'm getting a wood note now. Weird.
3 hours in: Wood. Boo. I wonder if the elemi is the culprit.
7.5 hours in: Powdery wood.
Overall: I don't like how this develops on me.

This one really doesn't work on me: in the bottle it smells very floral, and I am not at all a floral person.

On me it starts floral, and slowly turns sharper and sharper sour, like a sour lemongrass festival (not in a Lemon Pledge way, just sharp and sour) backed up by gardenia. It also has a little bit of a dark, dirty smell.

I think this might work for someone who likes florals, likes standard perfume smells (as that's what the gardenia smells like in the background) with a little bit more punch and earthiness to them. But mine is going into swaps.

Wet on my skin this is gardenia, olive blossom, nectarine and blood orange. Then the elemi and the lemongrass come in with a bit more, tang, I guess is the word I want. It’s got a high end feel, but the sweetness from the citrus stops this from becoming too much gardenia which can be headache central for me.

On drydown it gets a little bit screechy but I’m still digging it. I’ll try it again in a few months and see how I feel.