Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... Strength, passion, and the cleansing fire of joy: olive blossom, white nectarine, vibrant blood orange, honey absolute, lemongrass, elemi, sensual patchouli, and the quiet purity of gardenia.

I didn't really expect to like this scent, but an imp was sent to me by a very kind forumite and I'm happily surprised that I love it!

I'm not a huge patchouli fan, and I really don't like lemongrass, so I was wary. But when I put this on, I swear that - on me - the citrus is coming off as extremely grapefruity. At first I get huge whiffs of grapefruit with just a little bit of patchouli providing a dark background. But almost immediately the patchouli disappears on me, and the glorious gardenia (one of my favorite florals) sweetens and smooths this scent right out. On me, this smells like a very grapefruity/gardenia blend with just a hint of something herbal. It's clean, but not in a soapy way - in a way that makes me think this is the kind of perfume I want to reach for when I want to freshen up a bit.

A big hit for me! I'm going to be tempted to grab a bottle before the Yules come down.

On first contact, this is very much a fruity floral, a bit reminiscent of Yerevan, Blood Countess, and others in that general genre.

But as it begins to settle in, it gets very, very feminine and perfumey, more so than either of those two - definitely not getting a whole lot in the way of strength and cleansing fire here, unless it's the strength of screaming floral death. I think maybe my skin is amping the gardenia to the point where it's obliterating most of the rest of the scent.

Eventually the florals settle down at least enough that I can detect the other notes a little, but one the whole, this is one very, very flowery scent, and thus very, very not for me.

Grade: D

a review of Angeronalia

vial ~ floral, with bright hints of blood orange and Lemongrass.

The olive blossom is becomes more prominent as I smell the vial.

wet ~ the olive blossom becomes more prominent as do the floral. I am

trying to smell the patchouli and I think it is there, but it is very

light and subtle. The gardenia and olive blossom are indeed the front

runners of this fragrance.

drying ~ the patchouli starts to warm up, but it is soft, I think the

gardenia and the olive blossom are keeping it from taking over. The blood

orange and the lemongrass are in the background lending a subtle hints to

Angeronalia.

dry ~ Angeronalia has dried to a soft patchouli, citrus and powdery scent.

It is a comforting and beautiful scent. It does have a floral background,

but it is very subtle.

final thoughts ~ This is definitely a big bottle purchase for me and I can

forsee wearing this scent year round. It makes a wonderful out for the day

scent and it is perfect for wearing around the house. On a scale of 1->5,

I would give this a 4.

This began oddly enough as a fruity incense sort of scent but now it's more of a mellow incense/sandalwood with hints of powder.

No lemongrass, honey or blood orange, which were some of the notes I was hoping for the most.

In bottle/imp: Strong white flowers and sharp citrus.

Immediately on skin: This is a very crisp, clean, sharp scent. Right away, I’m getting the lemongrass and gardenia, plus a touch of softer, sweeter citrus. There’s a slight earthiness to it, and a smooth quality, probably from the olive blossom and patchouli.

After a few minutes: This is turning a bit soapy on me. The flowers have become a bit stronger and the sharp citrus notes have calmed down a bit. This is still a very clean scent though with almost a freshly-washed laundry type of feel to it. There’s a hint of sweet orange or nectarine, and a small bit of patchouli.

Overall Impressions: This is a very crisp, white floral with a touch of citrus and earthiness. It’s a rather cool scent, and pretty. It’s very soft, and seems very wearable.

Huh. I really can't pick out the notes, which is puzzling me, but this smells salty and astringent when wet. A floral note starts to emerge as this begins to dry - and something in here is tickling my nose fiercely. I think I smell the nectarine and possibly gardenia under there...

Hrm. This one just makes me feel uncertain and sneezy. Not a match.

Angeronalia - This is initially bright with the scent of nectarine, but quickly becomes very bitter on my skin. There's the scent of nectarine and citrus behind the bitter note that keep it from being completely unpleasant, although I can't decide if I like the scent or not. After about 20 minutes of warming up on my skin, the scent takes on the slightest earthy touch -- not quite like dirt, but not unlike it either. It's a strange scent and I have no idea if I like it or not because I'm not initially attracted to this scent, but I do find it grows on me -- and other people at the office have commented that I smell good today. After drydown, the throw is light, but the scent lasts all day long.

I normally love citrus scents, and on the whole I find them to be very bright and refreshing. I tried a dabble of Angeronia (I think testing a small amount as possible is key for getting along with patchouli blends for me) and my initial impression was a dark citrus scent.

This dark scent, I have to admit, I wasn't thinking that favourably about the scent. Then I read the reviews and someone mentioned that this feels like a more natural Coco Mademoiselle and I have to agree very much.

It certainly has grown a lot on me and the patchouli is kept at bay (well enough at bay for a patchouli hater anyway).

^^

Sadly I don't get any of the light, citrussy notes that have been previously mentioned. Nor do I get anything light or even lemongrassy. I honestly can't work out if it's the patchouli, but something went horribly horribly wrong on my wrist - I've had to wash it off as I actually feel physically unwell. :P

Needless to say, swap pile!

In the bottle: Sharp, citrus-y flowery and bright.

Wet on skin: Much the same as in the bottle. It's a lovely, cheerful "yellow-orange" scent with maybe just a hint of greens and whites.

Dry: Lemony, orangy, gardenia. This is one of those rare blends where the patchouli doesn't seem to show itself at all, but then there is so much in it and to it. It's lovely. I could wear this in summer or winter alike and it wouldn't seem out of place.

I keep sniffing at this. I can't help it. I don't think I'll be going for a back up bottle, although I'm not totally sure at this stage, but I do like it a great deal.

Totally not what I was expecting, absolutely not what I'd plan on smelling like, but this is strangely lovely. Clean white floral saved from Soap of Doom by a bubbly undercurrent of citrus & juicy nectarine. The patchouli is a mere whiff, barely noticable but grounding things very nicely.

On me, this smells like very expensive commercial perfume, minus the horrid chemicals - it would make a very good enabling scent if the intended was devoted to the big name perfumes.

On first whiff of this I didn't think I'd like this, but I felt like trying it out today anyway. What I'm getting is a nice clean scent, almost soapy, but not in an unpleasant way. It's more like freshly washed skin. I'm thinking that this is the olive blossom, mainly because it smells a lot like my favorite olive oil soap.

After reading the notes in Angeronalia though, I'm completely shocked that this is working on me at all. Gardenia? Orange & lemongrass? By all rights I should smell like an old lady or Kool-Aid. I'm pleasantly surprised. This blend has totally brightened my grey day.

Angeronalia is lovely and fruity-sweet when first applied to my skin, and with the citrus coming out in wafts. It soon becomes a pleasant, even cheerful floral with just a hint of citrus. Not only is the honey subtle, but the gardenia provides energy rather than overpowering the way it often does on my skin. Later on, the flowers diminish further and the citrus is almost gone, leaving a clean scent. I miss the early rush and might try a scent locket.

ANGERONALIA

In Bottle: Sweet floral

On Skin: This is quite a pretty white scent. I smell the sweet gardenias right away, they go very creamy on me. I can smell my favorite honey, but it is very well blended with the other notes. Actually, all the other notes mix in so well, I really can’t place them all individually. This is a good thing in patchoulis case since it hardly ever works on me. I would call this a sweet floral, with a light tart fruity touch… but not a “fruity” scent really. The background is soft and sensual… a light blanket of snow that doesn’t feel cold… movie snow! Very pretty and a nice variety for a floral scent, also very gender neutral. Light to medium throw, average wearlength.

In the bottle and on me, at first: I get warm florals, with the blood orange beneath. It is to scents what magenta is to colors, if that makes any sense to anyone besides me. I have a hard time picking out individual notes besides the blood orange. It's a little intense, but still pretty.

Then Patchouli shows up. We usually get along fine, but here she's wearing cheap perfume and shocking pink lipstick, and she beats me senseless -- then, when I'm still dizzy and confused, she takes me by the arm and starts introducing me as her date!

(In real-world terms, this is what happened: I was out shopping yesterday, and a saleswoman suddenly said, "Are you wearing patchoil?" I blinked, then said yes...)

Impressive throw (I didn't put much on, and the woman was standing a good five feet away from me).

So: a floral patchouli. I wanted to like it, but it's very much not for me. Ah well.

In the imp, this is very clear and light - I can't identify anything, and it's nothing like what I expected.

On my skin, there's the orange and nectarine with just a hint of gardenia - quite pretty.

The olive blossom and the gardenia are the most present when the scent dries - there's a touch of lemongrass in the back. It's very clean, very light - I like it, but I don't love it.

In the vial this is a non-descript floral.

When applied it goes OMG insane gardenia of death, with the citrus and lemongrass egging it on into a very masculine, bitter floral. I tend to amp gardenia so I was worried about this. Angeronalia is reminiscinet of a more "traditional" colonge. I'm not really loving it.

Now, an hour later, the bitter gardenia has faded quite a bit and what I am left with a softer, sweeter scent. Mellowed and grounded by the patchouli, the white florals are beginning to behave, the lemongrass has that "oh joy" kick to it and the citrus is making it sweet and happy. However, it has faded quite a bit, and as a result has very little throw: I have to really press my nose against my wrist to get a good sniff.

I like all these notes, I'm a hugh fan of lemongrass and am really excited when Beth works with it, and I think the end result is very pretty...but I'm not sure I can live through the intial "Holy Crap Cologne" stage. Perhaps some aging in my BPAL perfume cellar is what is called for.

In the vial: Sweet, bright floral

Wet: Gardenia

As it dries, the gardenia calms a bit and I can catch wisps of citrus, although its settling into a super-hyper sweet gardenia (thank you, honey absolute) and it's giving me an awful headache.

Gardenia definitely doesn't work on me - too bad I had to finalize that thought with what could have been such a pretty blend.

In the bottle, Angeronalia smells sharp; I think it's the patchouli. However, I can detect hints of sweetness and citrus hiding in the background.

Wet, it morphs: now I can smell the nectarine and blood orange, though the patchouli is still strong. There's also a subtle floral note besides the gardenia, which must be the olive blossom.

Dry, it's musky, but with floral and citrus notes that play hide-and-seek with me. Complex, and definitely earthy.

Once again, the lab has created an unusual and memorable fragrance. Very nice!

Edited by MaidMirawyn

Angeronalia

In the imp: peach! The nectarine note really pops out here, with a hint of floral.

Wet on skin: peach, flowers and patchouli, like the Ecstasy of True Love…but this one is a bit brighter and spicier.

Dry on skin: now the blood orange bursts onto the scene! Wow, this is such a vivacious, optimistic scent! It's this year's Sol Invictus, I think. The gardenia in here doesn't turn to evil on me, this is a creamy white flower boosted by what could be the olive blossom. I smell something almost peppery to it, but no strong lemongrass. The blood orange note is fantastic as usual, but I'm getting lots of gorgeous sweet nectarine here, so overall this smells like what I'd imagine peach blossom to smell like, with a hint of spicy orange, and an earthy patchouli base. I don't get much honey.

After a while: this reminds me of the Ecstasy of True Love with more floral notes, and more citrus. It's brighter and sunnier than EoTL, the patchouli grounds it a little but this isn't a dirty earthy patch scent at all. It reminds me of Aglaea as well, but not as sweet. I see where other people's 'soapy' reactions come from because the floral notes do hint at soap, but to me this smells clean, not soapy, it's a sophisticated scent. I'm surprised at the spicy note I get here-is it lemongrass, maybe elemi?

The scent settles into a smooth, clean, bright and lively (but not hyper-this is jovial, but dignified as well) mix of flowers and peaches with ruby red oranges and a lovely deep warmth. The floral notes, maybe with the influence of honey, remind me of Kindly Moon…this is the daytime equivalent of KM. Eventually this smells more like blood orange with a hint of floral, not the other way round as before.

Verdict: this is such a lovely, bright, bold fragrance! It’s a gorgeous fruity-floral scent which is lively and positive in feel, but also down to earth thanks to a touch of darker spice and patchouli. The gardenia note is perfect-smooth and floral. The nectarine is sweet and peachy, the lemongrass doesn’t amp, and I just love the blood orange here too. I was hoping for more honey, but I really love this scent as it is. It’s one of those sunny scents that’s perfect for banishing the winter blues, and has a nice clean sophisticated drydown of orange and white flowers. I’ve bought a bottle of this already.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes and I want more!

If you like this, try: Aglaea, Imp, Akuma, Tamora, Thaleia, Fae, Kindly Moon

I grabbed Angeronalia to try in one of my "I need to try my perfumes and have no preference today" kind of moods. I couldn't think of the "perfect Christmas Eve last minute shopping scent, so I figured this was as good as any.

And it was, at first. In the bottle and wet on my skin at first, the scent was crisp almost evergreeny with a soft floral background. I could not place the scent and was really confused as to whether I liked it or not?

After about a half hour, it morphed into a killer over-floral gardenia. I should have known better - gardenia hates me! I did not look at the notes though, before I put it on. Maybe I thought that the orange and lemongrass would mellow it out. Not a chance. Gardenia = headache, so it was not the scent to wear Christmas Eve shopping afterall.

The scent was anything but light on me - it was overwhelming - so much so, I had to change out of my shirt when I got home. And I do not slather my oils - I dab!

If you like strong, potent, florals with kick then you will like this. Not for me though :P

First Impression: Cold, citrussy floral.

Dried down to: A softer, richer, cool floral with no citrus notes. The olive blossom is the primary note I can pick out once this dries down completely, along with a hint of the blood orange.

Additional Comments: This is quite pretty - not quite special enough to warrant a bottle but I'll definitely enjoy the imp I've got. Surprisingly, the honey hasn't amped on me as it usually does and that was a very nice surprise - honey usually makes me gag. Also, the gardenia is kept in check. This actually reminds me a lot of LUSH's Olive Branch.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Angeronalia is one of my favorite scents of the Yule 2007 offerings. This smells like a pure chypre scent on me. It evokes memories of a night of dancing, new wave music, vintage clothes, fuschia lips and nails. Dark, heavy scents were the order of the day. It was a time of indoor smoking and fragrance had to overcome cigarettes and cloves. I'm going to listen toThe B-52s now.

A dear friend sent me a decant of this, and I'm very surprised that I like it at all, much less like it as much as I do. Gardenia is generally a deal-breaker note for me, and lemongrass is basically always a deal-breaker.

This one, though, breaks the rules. I can't smell any lemongrass or gardenia in it -- they're not loud like they usually are. And the honey absolute isn't doing that play-doh thing that honey usually does on me.

It smells like a very pretty perfume, a little exotic and only slightly floral. The nectarine and orange don't make it as bright as I thought they would. It smells more exotic than bright, to me.

I'm still not sure that this is the type of scent that I'd wear, but I'm still surprised that I like it so much. Worth keeping around and trying again, that's for sure.

Oh Angeronalia, my love! This is what I want to smell like when I'm feeling joyous and carefree. I received this bottle from the lab, and while I had placed the order, the husbeast had snagged the package, wrapped it and put it under the tree. It took a while for me to try it on. One day I put Angeronalia on one wrist and a dab of a newly received imp of Snow Moon on the other, only I forgot which I put where. Standing in line I kept sniffing my own wrist, reveling in the lovely smell surrounding me, much to the amusement of other post office patrons. I was convinced the lovely smell must be the Snow Moon of which I only had a small imp, but HOORAY!!! it turned out to be Angeronalia.

In the bottle:

Very faint, reminiscent of a lovely bouquet of sweet pea flowers.

Wet Stage:

Smells like a large bouquet of spring flowers. It is a very white, elevated scent, with a hint of citrus. I get absolutely no hint of patchouli (I happen to like patchouli, btw).

Dry Stage:

This one doesn't morph much on me. It keeps that wonderful spring-like flowery quality, it stays strong and lasts for about 4 hours. I'm a dabber, not a slatherer.

Just placed an order last night for 2 more bottles, and have another imp coming from a forum purchase.

5 out of 5! I'm usually a more earthy type of person (Lucifer, Scherezade, Snake Oil, Voodoo, etc.) so this is truly a surprise.

~ Lunaliquid