Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Moryssa

Salty scents?

Does anyone know of a scent that smells like a salty, musky sea breeze, or something like that?

I keep trying the pirate-y and water-related scents, but I haven't found what I want yet.

Here's the problem:

Last year at Christmas, I bought one of the gift sets at Wal-Mart that has Shower Gel, soap, bath salts, etc. The scent is called "Stone Wash", I believe... and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it's now almost gone.

* I like white musk. I strongly dislike most other musks.

* My skin amps up leather liek WHOA!... and I don't care for the note that much, especially when it's the only thing I can smell.

* Most of the blends that have "mint", "snow", "ice", "frost", etc, make me nauseous and give me a headache. Hurricane, Undertow, Nuclear Winter, Talvikuu, and Snow Maiden specifically have all done it to me. :D

* I like spicy things well enough, but I'm looking for something that is specifically *salty*, not *spicy*.

As for BPAL, the closest thing I've found so far is, strangely enough, "The Carpathian Mountains". Once that Wint-O-Green chewing gum scent fades down a little, I get this *really* nice salty, musky smell. In fact, when I first sniffed it, my initial reaction was "THAT'S what I mean when I say 'salty'!!!..." (Of course, no one was around to hear me whooping... which was probably a good thing, now that I think about it... :P )

So... any ideas? Something salty and clean, possibly with florals (I don't mind them), but without the leather or Ozone or Mint (or whatever's in the "snowy" scents)?

--M

yeah....I have to second The Pool of Tears.....it's probably the single most salty perfume I've ever smelled.

Also....Vampire Tears on me gets salty during the dry down, but I seem to be the only one...... :P

What have you tried that didn't work? Almost all aquatic scents seem salty to me. What about F5, or maybe Shanghai Tunnel (it had a nice salty wet stone quality on me)? Shanghai Tunnel might be hard to find, but even though F5 was a forum-only LE it's usually pretty easy to find. R'lyeh was salty grapefruit on me. I've read that The Deep Ones is very salty, but I haven't tried it. The City in the Sea is also supposed to be salty.

What have you tried that didn't work? Almost all aquatic scents seem salty to me. What about F5, or maybe Shanghai Tunnel (it had a nice salty wet stone quality on me)? Shanghai Tunnel might be hard to find, but even though F5 was a forum-only LE it's usually pretty easy to find. R'lyeh was salty grapefruit on me. I've read that The Deep Ones is very salty, but I haven't tried it. The City in the Sea is also supposed to be salty.

I'm still a beginner, so I haven't tried a lot, especially LEs.

The City in The Sea is on my list of things to try, and a friend is supposed to be sending me an imp of Vampire Tears.

Shanghai Tunnel and F5 are also on my lists of things to try, but with them being discontinued, it's harder to get them. I'll move them up my list to search a little harder, though. :D

Pool of Tears I'd steered away from initially because I didn't care for "Alice" too much when I tried it. Maybe I should re-think that decision now. :D

For some reason, I hadn't really looked at The Deep Ones (I think the fact that most of the Arkham scents included the line "a sliver of mint for insanity" or something along those lines made me :P and be afraid of the whole line). It does sound promising now that I read the description, though I'm a little afraid of the "black algae"...

Most of the ones I've tried have been the pirate-y ones, which also have leather in them.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

--M

The Pool of Tears is definitely a salty aquatic, and the "Alice's perfume" part doesn't actually smell like Alice-the-BPAL-blend. I expected it to, but it doesn't. It smells like lavender and sweet pea to me.

But by far the saltiest GC blend I've smelled is Dragon's Tears. I normally can't wear dragon's blood, and thus the Ars Draconis scents, because it goes all flowery on me, but this one is amazing. You can still smell the DB, but it's swamped by this incredibly salty scent. It's like when you're crying and you're surrounded by the scent of your tears, or swimming in the ocean and you accidentally swallow a mouthful of seawater. It's amazing.

The City in the Sea is somewhat salty, but in a "cold depths of the sea" sort of way. And The Deep Ones...well, that one died a horrible death on my skin, so I can't really say. I should give it another try, though.

Also! Since that set you bought was called Stone Wash, I must recommend Black Opal. It's not supposed to be an aquatic, but many of us do get a sort of rain-and-stone scent from it. To me, it smells like being at the beach on a cool, rainy day, which is a scent I love. Of course, for others it's more of a non-foody vanilla--which it is for me, a bit, but that's not the predominant note I get. It's worth a try, though.

Have you tried Pirate Moon (if you can track some down)? It is very salty on me, and the red musk, which usually doesn't behave on me at all, is very low-key. I'm another white-musk-and-no-other-musk type of girl, in general, and I love Pirate Moon.

Have you tried Jolly Roger? It has leather, but I usually hate the note of leather, but Jolly Roger actually works on me- the strongest note it has is salt water.

Port Royal is saltwater and wood- you might like it.

You might want to try Tempest and Lightning also.

Good luck!

Have you tried Jolly Roger? It has leather, but I usually hate the note of leather, but Jolly Roger actually works on me- the strongest note it has is salt water.

Port Royal is saltwater and wood- you might like it.

You might want to try Tempest and Lightning also.

Good luck!

I have an untried imp of Jolly Roger. It just hasn't shuffled up to the top of the pile when I grab a random untried imp for the day. :P

The ozone in both Tempest and Lightning make me wary of them.

--M, adding all the other recs to her list...

PS: allidavie: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I didn't even realize that there *were* different types of musk... until I started reading BPAL descriptions, that is. :D

I am always on the hunt for the perfect aquatic, my favorite scent. I like Caliban, but my absolute love right now is Mary Read. She is gorgeous.

Also, The Phoenix, it's an LE, but I get the most gorgeous Caribbean water from it. I end up huffing my wrists all day. (Which can be a little awkward in the office)

I didn't like the Pool of Tears, or Black Opal!

I love Port Royal; it's the only aquatic blend that doesn't turn into horrible decaying pondweed on my skin. I find Yemaya has a very faint trace of salt during the middle stages too. You might like to give that a go.

The Deep Ones is definitely a salty aquatic. I usually can't stand aquatics unless they are very salty and The Deep Ones fits the bill.

If you like salty scents then you may want to go for Kostnice as well. I've heard Olokun fits into the salty aquatic also, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by fatalbellydance

~snip

Also, The Phoenix, it's an LE, but I get the most gorgeous Caribbean water from it. I end up huffing my wrists all day. (Which can be a little awkward in the office)

~snip

Completely seconding this. I'm from the Caribbean, and this reminds me so much of the ocean there. I wore it yesterday and sniffed myself all day long...I was soooo homesick.

If you're brave, Hurricane is a salty, seaweedy aquatic. It was absoutely awful on me but in the imp it definately smelled like a beach or harbor after a storm. Its not for the faint of heart though, it is also quite smoky.

If you're brave, Hurricane is a salty, seaweedy aquatic. It was absoutely awful on me but in the imp it definately smelled like a beach or harbor after a storm. Its not for the faint of heart though, it is also quite smoky.

Hurricane is one of the ones I mentioned in my first post that gave me a headache and made me nauseous. :)

I tried Jolly Roger yesterday. I can definitely smell the leather in it (I told you-- my skin finds the slightest hint of a leather note and goes "OOOOooo!!! LEATHER!!!!" :P ) but it's a saltwater-soaked leather. :D So even though it had the leather hint to it, it actually wasn't that bad. I'd still like one that didn't have the leather, but this will do in a pinch. :D

--M

If you run across a decant of Kingsport, it's worth a try even though it has an ozone element. Salty sea air with a sweetness that's almost fruity, very nice scent.

Lysander has a slight salty element....I think someone besides me mentioned that in their review, so I don't think it's my imagination. : ) And that's GC, so it would be easier to find.

Ack, this cold is making me forgetful. My other great aquatic love is Calico Jack....before Mary Read and The Phoenix that was my fav.

Calico Jack smells manly, while Mary Read and The Phoenix smell more feminine on me.

Hurricane is one of the ones I mentioned in my first post that gave me a headache and made me nauseous. :)

I tried Jolly Roger yesterday. I can definitely smell the leather in it (I told you-- my skin finds the slightest hint of a leather note and goes "OOOOooo!!! LEATHER!!!!" :P ) but it's a saltwater-soaked leather. :D So even though it had the leather hint to it, it actually wasn't that bad. I'd still like one that didn't have the leather, but this will do in a pinch. :D

--M

Sorry, I didn't see that in your first post.

sigh... I really need to get more sleep.

I second the Dragon's Tears suggestion. Also, you might try Dublin or Selkie if you can get your hands on them - both are pretty salty on me. Ogun might be another good GC option.

It's foody, not aquatic, but the first think I thought of when I saw "salty scents" was Shill from the Carnival Noir line. It is salty buttered popcorn and the people who like it seem to *really* like it. :P

I am always on the hunt for the perfect aquatic, my favorite scent. I like Caliban, but my absolute love right now is Mary Read. She is gorgeous.

I'm seconding (thirding?) the Mary Read recs. It's straight up salt-filled ocean breeze on me. Although the description mentions 'leather-tinged musk' I can't smell leather in it at all. It's such a clean scent, it literally clears my head and gives me a huge burst of energy when I put it on. It's the main scent I tend to grab when I'm off out for a run.