Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The Fruit of Paradise

The Fruit of Paradise, the Nectar of Death: bittersweet pomegranate.

it's pomegranate and something green and herbal.

Got this as a decant in a swap 2 years ago and never used it!

In the imp: it's warm and juicy.

Wet: Strong and fruity. Not much else. I love pomegranates and this is a nice, sweet sugary smell.

Drydown: It...kinda disappears? That's got to be the fastest BPAL I've tried O_O Either my nose is used to it or it really is here and gone!

Conclusion: Honestly, even without i being quick, fruit isn't me as an actual scent. I can see throwing this into unscented lotion or shampoo but I really wouldn't want to waste the imp!

This review is for the 2009 version...

First off, I enjoy pomegranate quite a bit. I haven't smelled Persephone, but I enjoy Swank. This is much less bright than Swank, which is summer pomegranate fun. This is definitely winter pomegranate, with a touch of mulling spices as well. Still bright red & juicy, but a distinctly WARM fruit. The spices are almost as strong as the pomegranate on me- allspice maybe, & cinnamon.

This is a really nice, festive winter blend.

Edited by biocarolyn

If you liked the earlier version, you will like this 2009 one, I think. The pomegranate is sweet, not bitter, very yummy in its fruitiness. I'm not getting any spicy notes, though. There's a lot of sugar, but this isn't girlie pink like, say, Velvet Unicorn, but more of a sexy dark and deep pink scent but still sweet. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

The Fruit of Paradise 2009

Oh, this is lovely! In the bottle, I get a whiff of pomegranate -- juicy, dark, and sweetish -- with a background of something crisp and green. Once I put it on, it pretty much stays the same from wet through drydown to dry: dark, juicy pomegranate, with a touch of berries, and fresh, crisp pine needles. It's sweet, but not sugary, teeny-bopper sweet.

The pine needle note spooked me at first, but it never overwhelmed the scent, staying pleasantly in the background. It isn't a sharp evergreen nor does it morph into pine scented floor cleanser. Rather, it's like walking through a bunch of pine trees, grabbing a branch, holding the needles an inch from your nose, and gently inhaling the scent. To me, this note lends a chilly aspect to The Fruit of Paradise, keeping the fruit from becoming too warm.

I tend to prefer fruit based perfumes so if you are not a fan of fruit, you may or may not like this. I think it will depend solely on what that green/piney note does. Also, the throw on this did fade after an hour, although the scent itself stays on my skin a good twelve hours. I put it on around six o'clock last night after my bath and when I woke up at six this morning, it was still there. I love skin close scents though, so this quick fading throw doesn't bother me.

Edited to add: Ooo, odd. I just read some of the other 2009 reviews. I don't think I got spice! Maybe they were what created that sharp pine needle note? Interesting!

Edited by Kejiaron

In the bottle: Yummy.. I opened it and left it that way for a bit. All the sweetness is just drifting through the air. It smells fruity, with a dark edge.

Wet on me: Christmas-ish. That must be the spice.

Dry: As it's drying the spice is settling down and the red berry is coming back out. It'd be perfect for stomping around in the snow. Love it.

A simple scent. Crisp, tart and slightly bitter. There is just the barest hint of spice that mingles with the pomengranate.

A touch of cold is also present.

In the decant, I'm getting pomegranate and something green and sharp. On my skin, this is seeming to be pretty straight up pomegranate, with a hint of ice or something? Not sure, we'll see how the drydown goes. It turns into something you'd find in an air freshener. Not for me, sadly.

Edited by Venneh

in the bottle - I think pomegranite, green, and sugar.

wet - this becomes drastically less sweet and more tart. it's a tart almost berry like pomegranite, with something greener underneath.

dry - less green, more pomegranite, a little sweet. It's pretty good.

Rating - 6/10

It's nice, but it's very simplistic on me. I prefer slightly more complex scents (even if I'm not a wild fan of 30+ note ones).

This is all deep, dark, dripping, delicious, diabolical red fruit, and gets richer as it dries down. I can't wait to see how it ages, because if it's like this now, it's going to be positively droolworthy in another year... :yum:

On my skin, this is so sweet it turns almost powdery, which is a weird phenomenon because when this goes on wet it is incredibly tart. If you rolled fresh pomegranate seeds in baby powder, you'd get this on the drydown.

It's... nice? The scent is honestly so light it's hardly making an impression on me at all.

Faint fruit. I've had shower gel that smelled like this before. Not bad, but it doesn't stand out.

This starts out incredibly fruity, it's so sweet it's almost headache inducing. After a bit it mellows down and then adds a deeper richer element.

It's okay, but definitely not my type of scent.

Dark and richly fruity to start. Doesn't change much from wet to dry down to hours later, only loses intensity. As mentioned up thread it reminds me of shower gel. A very nice shower gel.

2009 edition

Yum! My first impression of this was incensey pomegranate. It warms up some as it dries, adding a hint of spice, and sniffing closely I think maybe I get a hint of pine needles, too? Mostly, though, there's just the pomegranate. No ice note or anything--which is good, 'cause ice/snow notes often go kinda funky on me. I can understand the shower gel comparisons--the pomegranate scent here is not so different in character from, say, Bath & Body Works' Midnight Pomegranate scent--but this is so much richer than any mass-marketed product I've tried. Seriously considering buying a full bottle (which, given my current finances, is saying something... :lol: ).

Not super fond of this blend, which really surprised me. I love pomegranate, so this seemed like an obvious one. This doesn't really smell like pomegranate to me, though. When I first got near my skin to sniff, I found myself sneezing. There was something itchy in there that really irritated my nose. Something floral or incensey? It felt like the way clove hurts my nose, but didn't quite smell like it.

Either way, this was way too heady and (flowery?) for me. Swap pile for sure.

Nice and fruity, pomegranate-y. I'll have to do a side-by-side test of this one with Candy Phoenix, though, 'cause they might be so similar that I don't need both.

Fruity bargain shower gel scent when I first tried it on, but a week later I bravely gave it another try. The cheapo shower gel smell made another appearance but faded fast and I was left with a beautiful incense scent spiked with a subtle fruit overlay that lasted for at least 12 hours, and probably more.

Perfect for the festive season. If you hate this straight out of the post box, you might want to try letting it settle for a week or so before swapping it away. The difference, at least on my skin, was amazing.

this is for the 2009 version.

bottle: tart-sweet pomegranate candy.

wet: this is a wonderfully sweet-tart fruit blend. no, it does not smell exactly like a pomegranate but it has the same feel: wet, juicy and red.

dry: this dries to a tart-sweet almost cranberry-pomegranate scent.

this was my favorite of the 2007 yules and i don't smell even a bit of difference between my old bottles and this new one. i will be buying at least two more before they retire. :yum:

The Fruit of Paradise, 2009

I opened the bottle and was bathed in the most glorious, dark pomegranate scent. I slathered on the oil, not caring who might be offended because this is MY pomegranate. I thought, I need to buy two more bottles of this before it's discontinued.

But now, nearly ninety minutes later, my gloriously dark pomegranate has turned into a candy necklace. I don't need a duplicate of Candy Phoenix.

In decant: chilly pomegranate

Wet: Nice pomegranate scent

Drydown: drying into a very sweet pomegranate. Fruity with a touch of bitterness.

Later: Light, very nice fruit blend. The bitterness offsets the usual overly sweet fruit scent. Very nice, will probably get bottle of this.

Wow, is this surprisingly amazing! Normally berry scents go way too sugary-girly-sweet on me, but this is ... Well, under consideration for a bottle.

In the bottle: Like fruit punch (but in a good way!) made of real ripe fruits and dark berries

On me: Ooo, much deeper and richer than expected -- incensey or spicy perhaps? Warm and delicious dark berries as soon as it hits my skin. Luscious, deep red.

If you like this you may like: Hm... This reminds me of something with plum in it- maybe Mme Moriarty, Morgause, or the Witch Queen, or Frumious Bandersnatch or something. (Edited to add: I think it's Lampades it's reminding of, and FoP is more rich juicy berry than Lampades; I think they share some spices.) I already own bottles of Moriarty & Hymn to Proserpine, I probably don't need a bottle - (uh, maybe) - but it's far & away the best mostly-berry scent I've ever worn. Really wonderful.

Edited by sqwook