Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The Fruit of Paradise

The Fruit of Paradise, the Nectar of Death: bittersweet pomegranate.

I am a huge pomegranate fan, so I knew right off the bat I would like this no matter what.

Yep, straight up pomegranate! It's a rather sweet, subdued type of pomegranate; not overly bright or strong. It's actually kind of a soft scent, with not a lot of throw for a fruit blend. It's very much like a slightly sweetened, much toned down version of Swank, which is one of my all time favorites. I like Swank because of it's intensity, brightness and throw, so I think I prefer it to The Fruit of Paradise. That being said, this is still quite a lovely scent, it would be perfect for the pomegranate fan who prefers a subtle, skin - clinging sweetness.

in the bottle very light, fruity, tart

wet on skin the tartness disappears entirely and is replaced by a distinct warmth. the fruitiness deepens into a pretty true pomegranate note

dry on skin it goes just a little candy-ish on drydown, but keeps a nice warmth. i swapped this for my gingerbread poppet, which made me unaccountably ravenously hungry when i wore it and i'm glad for the swap. this a good blend, dark enough to wear in winter and bright enough to wear in summer, too.

Bottle: Juicy sweet pomegranate.

Wet: Pomegranate, less sweet, more bitter. Also, this has staying power like whoa.

Drydown: A softer smell of pomegranate. This smells absolutely wonderful and I'm on the lookout for more, even though I have a bottle.

In the bottle – Surprisingly sweet pomegranate

Wet on me – Fresh juicy pomegranate, but always with a pithy dryness behind it

Dry on me – This goes through a very odd stage, where my right arm smells green and bitter, my cleavage smells sweet and candylike and my left arm smells of curry! Once in sorts itself out it develops into a sweet creamy musk with just a hint of the bitterness of the pomegranate

Overall – I like the dry down a lot, but I’m less convinced of the mode of getting there

I see why this was so well loved!

Many people have described it as smelling like a Sweet Tart, and I'd say that's actually a pretty good description. But it's a really gorgeous sweet tart. Initially, it's ripe, sweet, juicy pomegranate, and as it dries, a tart edge comes through. There's also a grounding quality, almost like neroli or something.

And that's really the whole scent. It's very straight-forward, but surprisingly complex and very well-balanced. It's fruity, but with a resinous, perfumey quality -- which is to say, it's not just like you've been eating a lot of fruit. It's more sophisticated than that. The sweet is equally matched by the tart. I wouldn't say there's much bitterness.

It starts out quite strong. Once dry, it's a little weaker, but the throw is still good.

In the vial: Pure juicy pomegranate. Very sweet. :P

On: Kind of a light scent. It gets more tart as it drysdown. Great staying power and moderate throw. This will be great on really hot days.

Verdict: Love it! I almost didn't buy this, but am so glad I did.

I got a decant of this one to try because so many people seem to like it, but I was pretty skeptical about it because usually pomegranate is one of the notes that tends to ruin a blend for me. My skin doesn't like it at all and either turns it into a bathroom air freshener type of scent or some hideous powdery-sweet Pez-like scent, except like a Pez that's been lost under the rug for a few months.

This one does the latter. It's dusty-smelling and super-sweet, and not like a lovely juicy pomegranate scent at all. Ah well. Can't win 'em all. There are really only a handful of notes that don't work with my skin chemistry, so it's not so bad.

In the bottle: Pomegranates!

Wet: Pomegranate, somehow a touch dark... but with cranberry?!?

Dry down: I'm getting pomegranate & cranberry, but with no real "tart" to it

After a few hours: Gone! Only a very faint whiff of red kool aid

This is slightly disappointing. Not that I don't like the fragrance. It just didn't live up to the hype on my skin. I'm keeping it for now. I do like it.

Initial impression:

Mmm, bittersweet is right! Very much like pomegranate.

First on:

Wet, it's a very sweet pomegranate – like pomegranate mixed with sweet grapes. Juicy!

Dry:

After about 20 mins, it's a lovely pomegranate scent – pure, refreshing and juicy.

Finally:

Fantastic scent. :P Alas, I already have a pomegranate single note perfume from Conjure Oils, so I'm passing this one on. A must for the pomegranate lover!

I didn't really get any tartness from this; sweetness, yes, but never shrill or sickly...it had a nice, full body to it. I think my only complaint about it would be that it doesn't throw quite as far or last as long as I would like. But it's quite a lovely scent, and sensual in its own way (which I suppose is appropriate...)

I definitely get a whiff of the stem of of the pomegranate plant (tree?...Bah Ignorance!) along with the juicy garnet fruit note. It's quite mysterious, that other note. Could it be sap, or leaf? Whatever it may be, the whole effect is quite charming, if sort of generically perfume-y smelling.

In the imp: sweet, a little floral with something darker beneath.

wet: Whoa. This goes immediately to some man's cologne on my skin and the throw is amazing. Sadly, because this smells so bad on me, that's a bad thing.

dry down: Uhm. No. I smell like that dirty old man groping all the little girls when they come to get a cup of punch at the grand daughter's birthday party. Dark, bitter with a bright sparking floral. It is just all wrong with me.

In bottle/imp: Juicy, dark pomegranate.

Immediately on skin: Nice and deep, dark, and juicy. It smells a bit like an equal part of pine and juicy red fruit, which smells just like pomegranate juice. It’s very crisp and not overly sweet.

After a few minutes: This scent seems surprisingly wearable. The pomegranate has settled down even more, and has become this fruity, red, and slightly perfume-y blend (in a good way!). It’s very strong and is also a very cheerful scent… it’s sort of crisp.

Overall Impressions: I can see this fragrance fitting well into my bpal collection… it’s a great fruit scent. It’s perfume-y enough to be very wearable, and settles nicely into my skin. It seems to give very good throw and the sweetness and crispness of this blend is very well balanced.

Bottle: Pomegranate juice!

Wet: There is an initial whisper of something white and floral, pomegranate blossoms? It quickly goes to juicy ripe pomegranate that has just been torn open exposing the bitter rind as well as the delectable fruit.

Dry: The bitterness softens but it remains tart red pomegranate. I wish I would have bought a full bottle of this. Alas my small store is nearly gone.

The Perfect Pomegranate Perfume! Though this was in the Yule collection, it's beautiful for autumn, when pomegranates are ripe, and when Persephone bids farewell to the upper world and descends toward her underworld throne. I wouldn't use the word "bitter" for this scent, but it is definitely tart, true to the fruit itself. Fresh but rich, fruity, mellow. I love this blend!

definitely smelling the pomegranate and that dark undertone really pulls it all together. it was a little strong when wet but now that it's dry it's very wearable and i like it.

In bottle: As expected, sweetened pomegranate, such as one finds in juice, only more concentrated. Wet: The pomegranate is less sweet and more spicy. Pleasant enough and oddly womanly. I can imagine how nice this would be on a curvy Mediterranean woman such as Persephone herself. Dry: Fades fairly fast leaving a powdery fruity residue.

This one is a tart, crisp, juicy pomegranate. It's festive, fresh and full of Christmas spirit.

Seriously, this could be Pomegranate SN. At least for me.

Sweet and dark. Dry, rather than juicy.

This is less than what I'd hoped for, but my boycat loves it. It's one of the few scents that he's hunted my wrist down for that he might lick it. Freak cat.

Bottle: Boozy pomegranate. I'm on a testing binge and I kind of winced when I opened this one--it smells exactly like these pomegranate coolers that have been sitting in my fridge forever because it turns out I really don't like coolers.

Wet: FoP amps way up and gets very sweet and sticky right off the bat. I love pomegranate in most blends though and what pom blends haven't worked were usually due to other components.

Dry: Soft, sweet, dusky pomegranate and... cardamom? There's a really strong cardamom accent to this which... kind of makes sense because I get cardamom from Mme. Moriarty as well. It's nice. It adds a bit of depth to the scent but I'm pretty sure it's just a chemistry thing. There's a likelihood that this also may share a component or two with the cardamom accord? Or they use cardamom oil in it? It's a mystery!

Throw: A sharp, strong pomgegranate throw.

Overall: It's a lovely, elegant, grown up fruit scent. Definitely something memorable and something I will treasure--FoP is definitely something that is worth saving for special occasions.

The Fruit of Paradise

Love it. Pomegrate is sometimes a little too syrupy-sweet, but this is a bright, tart pomegranate.