Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

rsal_autumn.gif

Dry leaves, osmanthus, sandalwood, and rose absolute.

I wondered how Autumn would compare to any of the other autumnal scents such as October and The Death of Autumn. It's slightly creamy and smooth with a suggestion of the crispness of fallen leaves and though I can't detect rose exactly, there's something ever so slightly perfumey in there that peeps through every now and again. Definitely different to the other fall scents, and while I can't exactly make up my mind whether I'd wear Autumn, it's definitely got possibilities. I'll probably retest it again in a few days, when I'm not so bowled over by some of the other Salons.

I can smell the rose in my decant and, sure enough, the two major notes I pick up on right away when I put this on are the 'dry leaves' and the rose absolute. It's an interesting combination that immediately places a red-brown association in my mind. In the wet stage, this is really a strong, plummy-colored rose on my skin and I don't really pick up on much else (the sense of the leaves are in the background). It's a really sophisticated rose, and I quite like it. After about five minutes, the rose becomes less powerful, but the scent also loses a bit as a whole, because nothing else overpowers the rose. When I sniff my wrist this is always rose--of some varying strength--with the 'dry leaves' and sandalwood (I think) sort of floating around in the background (I really don't get anything that is sweet or tart enough to be osmanthus). The overall picture I get is of a rose dipped in a golden-brown, slightly scented (but not boozy) liqueur and allowed to stand as a centerpiece at a table, perhaps surrounded by leaves of varying reds and yellows and oranges. It's a very color-evocative scent, and, like all the RO Salons I've tried so far, I think that it will be really interesting to see how this ages. I've really enjoyed the RO blends I've tried so far--many kudos and thanks to Beth for creating them.

For me, on initial application I get a sense of some sort of 'berry' quality. Is it the osmanthus and leaves combined?

The drydown in this is strong and I have to attribute it to the sandalwood. I don't get a real sensation for this fragrance and have to attribute it to the combination of sandalwoon and rose absolute. Sandalwood gives a sense of 'strong perfume' in the drydown and rose absolute (rose to begin with) is a wild card for me and my skin chemistry. POOP!

Edited by The_Witching_Hour

straight sniff from imp is dry leaves and rose...

i definitely get vetiver and it is wonderful...i love the "dry leaf" note in

this as well...the rose and sandalwood dance around playfully rounding

this out nicely...

autumn is a winner for me :P

In bottle/imp: Dry and slightly sweet and spicy, with a sharp clean bite to it.

Immediately on skin: This is a perfect autumn scent. It’s very dry and a little smoky, with a slight warm spiciness and sweetness from the sandalwood. There’s a slight pine-like bite to the scent, but it’s subtle and not overpowering in the least. I’m not sure if osmanthus means the scent of the flower, or of the plant itself, but if it’s the flower, the light sweetness could also be coming from that. The rose absolute isn’t evident, but there is the tiniest hint of dry flowers in this.

After a few minutes: This scent is very strong and hasn’t morphed much. The dry leaves is still the strongest note in the blend, but the spiciness of the sandalwood warms and sweetens it nicely. I’m almost positive the whole dry leaves note is vetiver, but I usually don’t like that note and I’m really enjoying this blend. There’s a nice fruity note in this, but it doesn’t stand out as any one fruit or another; it’s just sweet and bright. The rose absolute is a little stronger now, but it stays in the background of the blend.

Overall Impressions: This scent is just perfect for the name Autumn. It’s atmospheric; very crisp and dry, but sweet and spicy as well. It smells to me just like dry, crackling leaves. It has a slight perfume quality to it, but in my opinion that means it’s very wearable.

I usually do a full range of scent discription from in the bottle, wet, dry down, and 30 minutes. But Autumn does not needs such analytical prose. I kept smelling my wrist and saying, this smells familiar. It was love at first sniff. Then it hit me. Autumn is a femme version of Samhain 05 without the heavy tobacco or fir. This is Samhain's sister. Elegant, lush, sophisticated and beautiful. It smells like Autumn too, when I was walking outside in TX version of Fall. I smelled roses, and smoke and fallen leaves, just like Beth's interpretation. I felt a part of my surroundings. I love it. I am in the midst of trying to have a Cali resident pick up a bottle or two for me. This will age beautifully too.

If you were afraid of the rose note, don't be. I amp rose, and this does not turn into old lady on me. Don't pass this one by, it is a thing of beauty. Brava Beth and the labbies! :P

AUTUMN

In Bottle: Dry perfumey leaves

On Skin: I get a dead dry leaf smell, but something sweet and deep under it all. The rose provides a tart pungent note that rips in and out of the scent. The sandalwood provides a lovely woody note, so soft and the perfect base. The osmanthus is sweet and keeps the scent from being too harsh. The dry leaves are the center note, herbal in nature, making this a beautiful Fall scent well deserving of it’s name. Overall I get a warm, dry yet creamy feeling from this scent. Very original and very well blended. The herbal note is a bit much on me so I don’t thin I’d wear it often, but I’d love to smell it on someone else. Average throw and about average wearlength.

In the decant I can definitely smell the dry leaves and sandalwood. Wet on my skin, the sandalwood is still strong on me but not overpowering, and for a few moments I can pick up the sweet osmanthus weaving in among the spiced woodiness and smoky leaves. As it dries down I can almost subliminally pick up just a touch of rose, in that it also lends a certain perfumed softness to the blend - and this is most definitely a blend, subtle and very well put together. By the time it finishes drying, I can recognize that all the components are still in the scent, but I can't pick them apart from each other any more. So, so elegant!

If Samhain (and I do see the comparison, it occurred to me too! :P ) is happy, breathless, nighttime Halloween fun - running from house to house and smelling the smoke and woods in the air, drinking mulled cider - then I think Autumn is more like my traditional autumn holidays in Boston with friends - convivial nights spent having great food and cocktails with friends in warm, dark, candlelit spots while cold wind blows crackling-dry leaves off the trees outside in the dark.

This is a really beautiful, sophisticated blend. If you like the autumn blends, you'll probably love this.

In the bottle:

Dry leaves, sandalwood, and rose.

Wet:

Almost all rose, with a hint of sandalwood and dry leaves. So far, it's a soft, creamy rose like in Hope, as a opposed to a soapier one like in Peacock Queen.

Dry:

This dries down to a sweet, creamy, Rose with hints of sandalwood and dry leaves. Very nice, and I bet it will be even nicer as it ages.

Autumn is a beautiful dry leaf scent. The leaves remind me strongly of Samhain, but the difference is that this has a fine layer of sandalwood dust and a burst of rose absolute. It sticks around for a while and has a very strong atmospheric quality to it. This definitely smells like autumn.

When first applied, Autumn smelled like fresh autumn air. Not the brisk cold air of late autumn but the fresh air of the first part of Fall when the weather is still warm in the day and cool in the nights. I kept inhaling my wrist just to feel the fresh air scent!!!

As Autumn started to dry down, I started to smell the beautiful fruity/floral notes of the Osmanthus. That, combined with the fresh air note, brought a memory back into crashing reality! It was a memory of an autumn day back in my early teens. I was totally transported back into time!

A couple of seconds later, I got a nice whiff of the rose - which I usually don't like. Almost all of Beth's rose notes I have tried, have been amped up on my skin to a SCREAMING - old lady-rose-powder- ick! NOT with Autumn!! I believe it is the sandalwood is helping temper the rose, almost giving it a rosewood type of note.

Completely dried down, Autumn is.. well... Autumn!! A clear blue sky on a warm Autumn day, fresh air, dry leaves - it's beautiful! No one note stands alone - they are so well blended together. Autumn has great throw and a long wear! Thumbs up again, Beth!

Edited by Rhowan

I've been testing the Traveling Exhibition oils without having a good idea of their notes list -- especially made possible by the fact that I got a set of half-decants from Hayet on a whim *waves, blows kisses* -- and I'm really liking that experience. It allows me to feel the progression of the oil without the interference of expectations.

So, Autumn:

On my skin initially I remember thinking "Ooh, vanilla! I don't remember vanilla being on the notes list. Hmm!" Not a foody vanilla - just warm and smooth. It shortly dissipated and I was thinking for a little while that Autumn reminded me of Perversion -- tonka? (I know, I know, there's no tonka OR vanilla in Autumn.) A few minutes more and I began thinking "Hm, this is rather fruity. Fruity and... smooth. And good." I'm almost through my workday now, and it's faded to the point that I can't smell it much without sticking my nose into my wrists... but it's so good.

I think initially what reminded me of Perversion must've been the dry leaves (=tobacco) and possibly the sandalwood. The smoothness of the vanilla/tonka might also be the sandalwood. The fruitiness of Autumn has to be due to the osmanthus - it's a very round peachy-apricot smell, not overwhelming and not sickly: just right. I wouldn't have realized that rose played a part in this blend without looking at the notes list eventually, but knowing it's there does explain a sort of floral underlay. This rose is very velvety, though, and hasn't taken over the whole blend at all on my skin.

I wasn't expecting to be won over by Autumn, especially due to the "dry leaves" component but, oh, my. This is so lovely. And even more awesome: it is really evocative of the painting. Fuzzy osmanthus for the peach flowers, a solemn smoothness of melancholy sandalwood... the faint rose of the woman's cheeks. Lovely.

In the imp, I get sandalwood and rose.

On my skin, it's all sandalwood and dry leaves - a very dry, almost decaying scent.

When it dries, it's very subtle - it's got the *faintest* hint of rose, but it's all sandalwood and leaves. Not my cup of tea, but nice.

Something about the dryness of this feels very distinct. It doesn't remind me of any other scent I've tried that contains the dried leaves note.

The rose is beautifully strong here. It really amps on my skin. Paired with the sandalwood it feels woody and earthy and anchored. It's not a soft fragrance at all. It has a lot of throw and is very bold. There is a smooth spiciness that I am loving right now. It's not a foody spicy scent...it's less sweet than that. Instead it smells perfumey and somewhat sharp. Yet everything still remains natural.

The leaves really got to me in the end. I think that's what completely won me over. It's just a sensual touch that I really appreciate in this, especially with that gorgeous dry rose.

Autumn - When I first apply this, it smells to me almost exactly like Samhain, only without the apple note. As it dries down, it maintains that amazing scent of dry leaves and the smell of Fall in the air, but the sandalwood and rose really begin to express themselves, and I'm amazed at how gorgeously it all blends together. I wish I could describe it accurately because it's really beautiful! I'd put this in the same family as Samhain, and I wouldn't remotely describe it as a floral, even with the rose note. It's definitely more of a woods scent and absolutely perfect for the Fall season. For me, if I ever run out of Samhain, this would make an acceptable substitute. The throw is above average, but not over-the-top-strong, and the wear length seems to vary, depending on where on my body I put it (it's short on my wrists, but quite long when I apply to my cleavage area.)

Autumn

In the imp: decayed autumn leaves and osmanthus.

Wet on skin: a truer autumn leaf scent than that of October, with osmanthus and a little bit of rose.

Dry: mmm, this smells like autumn rain! There’s a lovely watery quality to this scent which makes me think of raindrops hanging on tree branches, and the leafy note is strong, but very different to October’s, there’s no cologne to it, and it smells more genuinely like autumn leaves. There’s also a melancholy floral scent to it, the last roses of the season, with a hint of sharp osmanthus. I also smell the sandalwood, which is not as warm and spicy as usual, this is more like a natural barky wood scent.

After a while: now I smell a clear, yet woodsy scent. it’s odd to describe but imagine that wood was glassy and transparent…that’s what I get here, a woody green scent which is clear and watery, a little mossy, leafy and floral. The osmanthus is stronger now but doesn’t amp on me like it sometimes does. This reminds me of Ouija now, but also of the Twisted Oak Tree-the woodsy scent with that watery sheen over it reminds me of TOT but without the harsh wintergreen I got from that scent-this is what I hoped TOT would smell like, actually. It reminds me of an oak tree with leaves falling, bark, leaf, wood and soil. The scent’s green, watery woody scent becomes stronger over time and it really does smell like a much nicer, less medicinal TOT to me. Cool and rainy and with an earthiness, and also a melancholy feel to it.

Verdict: this really does smell like autumn, much more than October did. Though it’s a more floral autumn scent than usual, with the rose and osmanthus notes, the autumn leaves note in here is much more genuine, I think, than October’s…it smells just like mushy wet leaves, and there’s a woodsy note that smells less like sandalwood and more like oak. There’s also a pure watery scent-maybe part of the osmanthus note-which evokes cold clean rain falling on those leaves and trees. It’s not my favourite of the autumn scents as the osmanthus and oak amp a little bit too much for me, but it’s another beautiful scented interpretation of a beautiful season.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Not sure. I prefer Death of Autumn when it comes to smelling of autumn, but this leaf note in here is very true.

If you like this, try: Ouija, October, Ivanushka, Death of Autumn, Rakshasa, Destroying Angel, Twisted Oak Tree

Smells like cidery-apples and dry leaves on me (though the oil contains no apples). I normally don’t like foody scents on me, or apple scented anything, but this is really nice. Very very Autumny. Well, autumny if your no longer in school (then autumn smells like fear and self-loathing). Very orange (the colour, not the fruit). It kind of smells like what someone whose never smelled an apple would think it would smell.

In the imp: quite floral, I can smell the rose

On: Powdery rose, which I was afraid of - when rose is in a blend it tends to overwhelm everything else on my skin!

Dry: Rose kept getting stronger and stronger - I wish dry leaves were prominent, or even noticeable in something called Autumn, but this wasn't meant to be!

Wet, I smell the dry leaves that can be found in October or Samhain.

When this was wet, I wasn’t sure how I felt about this, but after smelling it for a wee bit, this is gorgeous! What I hoped and imagined that Samhain would be. This reminds me of a softer, gentler Samhain, not so dark and heavy. There’s very much a lightness and freshness here. But still very much evocative of fall time. Beautiful.

okay, first of all i'd like to come out as a total samhain addict. i have used more of samhain than any other bottle in my collection, with the possible exception of mme. mo. i really, really wanted to like samhainophobia just as much as i liked samhain, but i couldn't quite. there was a medicinal quality that, not being balanced by the fruitiness of samhain, just didn't work on me. ENTER AUTUMN!

in the bottle dark, glowing, dry, and melancholy, the rose and "dry leaves" supporting each other

wet on skin this keeps the same general scent, but blooms gloriously into a golden haze. it's similar in tone to both samhain and harvest moon, falling somewhere between those two extremes.

dry on skin no morphing here. the rose that made me so very nervous before i sniffed it just keeps the whole thing buoyant without adding a smidge of floral to the mix. the sandalwood stands in for the fir needles of samhain and -ophobia and keeps it golden and lovely.

amazing, amazing scent.

Edited by ravenfeathers

First on, I get an impression of damp, rotting wood, which I'm guessing it the 'dry leaves' refusing to play nice on my skin once again. Then, Autumn quickly dries down into nothing but rose and sandalwood for me, and both of those notes go a bit powdery on me here.

I'd like to smell this on someone else, because other reviews make it sound so unique and gorgeous, but it's just powdery, sweet rose and dry sandalwood on my skin. It's not unpleasant, and it's even rather pretty on me, but probably not something I'll reach for often or need a full bottle of. I have other rose perfumes that stand out for me more than this one does.

Now this is an evocative scent. It is all smokey leaves and sandalwood when I first put it on. Then I do get a touch of an appley scent, too. Is it the osmanthus and rose that makes me think of apple? When it dries down it gets both sweeter and the sandalwood blooms the way I love it to do on my skin. :P

I find this blend to have quite a bit of throw and lasting power, too. A little goes a loooong way which makes me happy with my decant. When it runs low I might just seek out a bottle. Really gorgeous.

I'm having a hard time deciding how much I like Autumn. It's very similar to Samhain, but without the sweetness of apples that makes Samhain so delectable. Instead, Autumn has a very distinct floral element, and overall the scent is drier than Samhain. There's something in Autumn that's keeping me from really enjoying it, and I suspect that it's the osmanthus, which smells too much like jasmine for my liking. The overall feeling of this is one of melancholy. I'm not sure that this is the interpretation I would go with for the beautiful painting that inspired this, but both the scent and the piece of art share a wistfulness that it is very moving.

3.5/5

I can't believe that I haven't reviewed Autumn yet - it was one of the great surprises out of the Traveling Exhibition for me and I really love it. I bought my bottle almost a year ago and a little age has made it even more beautiful. At first sniff, and when first applied, it reminds me very much of Samhain (although I haven't tried the 2008 version of this yet, I have tried almost all the others). But as it dries, it morphs into something unique and beautiful, a more feminine cousin of Samhain and some of the Lab's scents in that vein. The rose and osmanthus make for a sweet and balanced floral component that seems to replace the sweet fruit component that I find in Samhain. Overall, Autumn is a gorgeous spicy floral that I'd place in the Oriental family of perfumes - like many of the Salon blends, it is complex and resembles a traditional perfume more than many of the GC scents do.

In the imp: Vick's Vaporub!

Wet on skin: Vick's with something sharp. The sharpness fades fairly quickly, and rose and jasmine-y osmanthus come out to play. It has nowhere near the warmth of Samhain, but I think the similarity of the dry leaves (Vick's) is enough to trick my brain into thinking I smell apples!

Dry on skin: you know - it really does smell apple-y! Lighter than Samhain, but in the same scent family, and definitely autumnal. Crunchy brown leaves, bonfire smoke, and damp earth under light autumn rain, with a hint of red apples. I prefer Samhain, though.