Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Wezwanie / Hold

Hazelnut, vanilla bean, red sandalwood, amber, myrrh, and honey.

Wezwanie / Hold

The ingredients looked soooo delicious. Vanilla, amber, sandalwood are great on me and I like eating hazelnut-flavored things and honey. I made grabby hands and a kind soul frimped it to me.

Great was my delight as I applied the oil to the crook of my elbow.
Great was my horror as the delicious-sounding oil turned into cat pee in my elbow.
Great was my speed as I yanked my head back and held my arm as far from my nose as possible until the foul liquid dried down.
Great was my trepidition as I took another tentative sniff several minutes later...

Cat pee.

It's been an hour since application and I've scrubbed my arm repeatedly and still cat pee. :P Edited by Shollin

I'm kind of surprised by the reviews I'm seeing here; sweet? Nutty? Foody?? That's not the Wezwanie / Hold I smelled at all! There was oil on the outside of the bottle I tried, so when I opened it for a niff I got oil all over my fingers. That means I ended up applying rather more than I would have otherwise as I smeared the excess on my arm, so that may have something to do with my very different experience! This is the oil thoroughly slathered on (although not intentionally!).

First off, the overwhelming first impression I got of this oil was wood. It was screaming WOOOOD! at me and waving its arms around. It reminded me of Antikythera Mechanism at first, but warmer and softer and without the metallic/camphor edge of Antikythera. I liked it, but was a little overwhelmed, so I left it for a bit. An hour later, I sniffed again and was surprised to find the sandalwood had calmed down considerably, leaving a warm, sweet amber with a woody undertone. At the end of the day there was still a strong, lingering scent of honey on my arm, but all the other scents had vanished. I never got any hazelnut at all (except possibly as part of the "warmth" and "softness" of the original woody scent).

All in all, it's quite lovely, and I think I would like it very much if I had possibly worn a little less of it at a time! It's the only retail scent that really took my faancy, which is nice since they are pricey. But it's definitely on my wishlist.

Interesting -- at first sniff, the hazelnut really dominates it, and I could have sworn there was chocolate in there, though it's not on the list of notes. It's a bit cloying and overly foody at the beginning, like artificially-flavoured hazelnut coffee creamer or something.

But thankfully that impression doesn't last -- as it settles in a bit, the hazelnut diminishes. It's still there, but less overpowering, and more in harmony with the other notes. The foody impression is much less now -- it has a touch of that, but blended in with a sort of sultry, sexy, incensey scent. It's kind of like Svadhinaopatika with hazelnuts, really. This is by no means a bad thing, as I love Svadhinaopatika, and I like hazelnuts fine in moderation.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last very long, and at times there is still a touch of that slightly cloying, artificial edge that the hazelnut note can sometimes have. But it's still pretty nice. All in all, I think I'll hang onto the imp, but don't need to seek out a bottle.

Grade: B/B+

Oh.. I waited for ages to get hold of a bottle of this, since the Salon didn't travel down to this part of the world. My bonus for being so patient is that the bottle I've now got is probably at least a year old, which I think has probably worked in its favor because this is riiiiiiiiich.

Coming out of the bottle, the oil is all thick and a beautiful golden colour - it actually made me pull back a little when I first put a dab on my skin... it's that strong. First whiff when wet on my skin is definitely the hazelnut, vanilla and sandalwood.

After about 10 minutes on my skin, that initial nutty wood thing has settled down and it's is all amber, myrrh and honey. Actually, this is perhaps the richest amber I've encountered so far in my BPAL travels, and the honey/myrrh combo is also very rich. It's kinda like No. 93 Engine after it's been turbocharged, but without the wax, and way more everything than No. 93, but the similarity is there in its honeyness.

Half an hour later, it's definitely softened down a lot from its initial HEY I'M HERE presence.. now the nutty feel has come back a bit, and the vanilla has also reappeared.. finally everything seems in perfect balance. What a clever and multi-layered blend this is, it really shows how skillful Beth is at her craft.

I'm just loving it, and so is everyone within 20 feet of me.. even when dried down completely, it still wafts around a lot. Note to self: just a couple of drops will be fine, do not slather!! Lovely. LOVELY. Golden, warm, rich and sumptuous. I think this would be a love/hate blend for many people, so if you're not sure then I'd encourage you to at least grab a decant.. hopefully you'll be just as impressed as I am :smile:

In the bottle: Just like Nutella, without the chocolate! It's hazelnut and sandalwood, with honey sweetness. Definately foody at first sniff, which is not to my tastes usually, but I'll see.

Wet on skin: Hazelnut, sandalwood, something drier underneath tries to come out.

Dry on skin: The hazelnut note calmed down and blended nicely with the sandalwood, the resins & the honey. Pretty!!

Final thoughts: I really wanted to try this one, despite the fact that I don't enjoy wearing foodies. It's not a foodie, in my opinion; the loud & screaming hazelnut I got from sniffing the bottle at first, morphed into sandalwood and honey the moment I applied it. It's a very nice perfume, and I'm glad I have a bottle again (had sold mine and regretted it). Now to layer it with Infernal Lover for a Storyvillesque experience...

Try if you like Devil's Night, O, Monsterbait: Underpants, Storyville

Edited by CreamyJade

Wezwanie / Hold

Vanilla and sandalwood, supported by hazelnut. Then the amber pops out and makes it a bit powdery. Dry, it's baby powder. Posh baby powder, but still, baby powder. *kicks stupid skin chemistry*

Weirdly, my first thought on trying Wezwanie/Hold was "If Jack and Huesos de Santo could breed, this would be the result." Which is kind of odd since there are no notes in common at all.

Of course, Jack smells like straight-up roasted nuts on my skin, so I suppose it's the hazelnut speaking to me. The hazelnut is very prominent, and very rich. There's also an "incensey cake" note that recalls Huesos. Very much a lovechild of the two, plus a heady vanilla.

A little more red sandalwood and honey probably would have made this hoard-worthy, but it's still really nice. Heavy, warm and decadent, as you would probably guess, but not overwhelming or sugary. I can't decide whether to place it in the "food" category or the "omgsex" category. It's both.

Guy review:

Have to put my two cents in to agree with most on this, it's a sweet/foody blend of hazelnuts balanced with vanilla, sandalwood, and honey.

It reminds me of cozy-warm rooms filled with cooking concoctions, sweet nutty slightly alcoholic things; there's spice in the air and bustling people, friendly chatter, and a mug of something hot and nice in my hands.

Great blend!

Would really like to know what wezwanie/hold means. Guess I'll have to watch the movie.

I found my imp of this again. :P

I get a whole lot of hazelnut once this is applied. Its really strong.

As it dries, it becomes almost peanut-like. And I don't like peanuts. Don't like the smell or the taste. Nothing else stands out at ALL. Hardcore peanuts...

I wanted to love this. From the description, it sounds EPIC. But on the skin, not so much. :(

This might go back with the rest of the imps/decants or onto the swap pile...

I think of this scent as hazelnut coffee-almost as a substitute for when I dont have a cuppa joe handy. It is slatherworthy, and makes me happy I was in Atlanta GA once to get a bottle after doing an insanely hot craft fair. It was solid warm relief, and is smooth and comforting, and wearable year-round coffee YAY

In Vial: The colour and scent of vanilla-infused honey with just a hint of spice.

Wet on Skin: The myrrh is definitely stepping it up and the amber starts to glow. Definitely a gourmand scent. To me, it's the lovechild of Haloes and O. Haloes is a more solemn, revered kind of cathedral-glow-incense, and O (on me) is sweet, lightly sex-kissed nectar.

Drydown: Lots of depth, lots of throw. A definite warning to slatherers, DON'T. This is what I hoped Brisingamen to be!!!

This is a wonderful, amber spice blend with a touch of warm hazelnut. It borders on being foody, but there's something that's keeping it in check. Maybe the amber? This blend reminds me of Inez and Storyville, only a little nuttier. :lol: The honey adds a bit more sweetness. I really like this, and will definitely use up my imp! As for a bottle purchase, it is too similar to Inez for me to justify a bottle, but a definite win for WH! :wub2:

eta: I must say, this definitely gets foodier and sweeter. Just going to stick with Inez.

Edited by milo

Decant: honey and sandalwood

Wet on Me: honey and hazelnut and vanilla. very sweet with lots of power.

Drying Down: sweet honey and hazelnut. Not doing it for me so far.

Dry: just too sweet for me. The honey got amped and everything else just made it seem even sweeter to my nose. I guess I'm just not a honey girl.

In bottle: hazelnut, amber, and honey are strongest. May I just say that the food/insense combination is stunning and beautifully blended. This is smooth and sweet and elevated. Wet: The vanilla and sandalwood strengthen, but it retains that lovely balance between the food and incense that characterized it in the bottle. One really does have to like hazelnut for this to work, but it is excellent. The nut note reminds me of pffefferneuse a bit. Dry: Fast fading, mostly to nut.

This may be bordering on something a bit too foody for me...but it is quite nice, nonetheless.

At first I really get a huge whiff of hazelnut. Like...it basically overpowers everything and is also very very strong. I am a hazelnut fan, so I think it's ok!

After a while, things start to kind of mellow out and blend a bit more. The hazelnut definitely runs the show here, but at least it gives the other notes some room to breathe as well. It's hard for me to pick out the other notes individually, actually...but I definitely get a sweet, nutty, creamy scent that is still foody, but not outrageously so. I'm not sure how often I would wear this, but I really love the artwork and will certainly get use of the scent somehow!

This comparison would never have occurred to me had I not been testing them side by side, but the vanilla bean note in Wezwanie/Hold is a dead ringer for the vanilla base in Hellboy's Liz: rich and voluptuous, and decadent as Haagen-Daas.

The scents aren't otherwise alike, and I went into the skin test knowing full well and myrrh and honey hate my skin. So, given that caveat:

The first slather is warm and sweet, anchored by amber and sandalwood. Not foody, but definitely gourmand. It's warm and blowsy and almost unbearably rich. This is by no means a dry or woody blend.

But at my back I always hear

Myrrh's thunderous footsteps coming near;

And yonder all before us lie

Deserts of vast honey, horrified.

For three shining seconds this is a luscious melange of amber and vanilla bean-flecked Nutella. In fact, it's vanilla Nutella incense. And then the myrrh and honey pull a Godzilla Meets Tokyo. I think it best that we draw a merciful curtain over the end of this skin test. :ack:

Suffice it to say that if you're a fan of these notes, you should beg, borrow or steal a decant to test.

Edited by bheansidhe

In the imp, I'm getting hazelnut and myrrh, I think. On my skin, this is primarily hazelnut and honey, kinda like Sleipnir. The more I've got this on the more I'm reminded of Sleipnir, so I'm thinking a death match may be in order here.

Edited by Venneh

HAZELNUT! But really, really good hazelnut. Hazelnut and myrrh and sandalwood. It's so rich and creamy and delicious. It's insanely foodie, but it's really nice!

I was hoping for something richer and creamier, but this essentially came out like woody toasted hazelnuts on me; pleasant enough, but not necessarily something I need.

Oh honey. Why must you ruin EVERYthing.

At first I got a lovely vanilla/sandalwood/almond mix. I amp almond a little so I was like weeee!

But on ultimate drydown the honey turns all powdery, cloying and strange smelling. And overwhelms everything else :/

Imp: Hazelnut! Creamy, nutty, dry. I suspect the sandalwood is contributing to the dryness here.

Wet: On, it's definitely got more of the vanilla and it's a lovely rich vanilla swirling around the hazelnut. I'm getting a bit of amber as well, which nearly always starts out powdery on me (rarely in a bad way). I get an oddly floral sense as well, though no florals are listed. Oh! It's the myrrh!

Dry: All myrrh. It's almost exactly the same as the Golgothan Myrrh SN. Oh the humanity :thud: All I wanted was delicious hazelnut, vanilla, and amber.

In The Bottle: Yummy hazelnut softened by some vanilla. (In the bottle there's something reminiscent of Banshee Beat. The warm sweetness, I'd guess.)

Wet On Skin: The sandalwood immediately begins to take this scent out of the realm of foody and into something more musk-and-wood oriented. Still warm and sweet, but the 'food' vibe I got from the bottle is already gone.

Dry Down: The myrrh has done it's annoying powder-thing on me, which makes me a not-happy camper. I am having an extremely vague memory of trying this many years ago and having the same thing happen. *However* that was before I know about the importance of aging resins, and there's enough good in this bottle, with enough promise, that I'm completely willing to age this puppy for 6 months to a year, as that's usually what's required for myrrh to play nice with me

In All: Medium to high throw- use sparingly!- with little morph once dry. A promising array of notes keeps me anticipating what will happen when this ages.

Hazelnut is the dominant note in this blend, but without the dryness I associate with hazelnuts. Instead they're creamy which I guess is being caused by the vanilla.

There's just a touch of honey sweetening the blend a bit.

As it dried down the other notes come out making what could have easily been a gourmand scent into other territory.

Ends up being a sweet, creamy, resiny blend with the addition of hazelnut.

A very interesting scent that I'm enjoying a lot.

The listed notes are making me do a little dance in anticipation. There is nothing in this that should be remotely iffy on me, and it's glorious in the bottle. Come on, skin chemistry!! Don't ruin this for us!!

Wet- Glorious nutty richness, with freakin incense. Ahhmagawd!! This is so good. Oh Myrrh. How I love you. And you're glorious in this, glorious!!

I cannot stop huffing my arm. The honey with the Myrrh? And the nuttiness? SWOON!!! So well blended. This makes up for Haloes being a fail on me.

Beautiful. This fits right into my collection as the "winter incense blend" I was looking for. I can see reaching for it a lot.

This is rich, dark honey on me, mostly. The hazelnut gives it a foody dimension I like, but it's not overpowering. The wood and resins give it depth and make it last. It's all very yummy and sexy.