Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.

On me, this is pure Antikythera. Very much oak, tonka, and vanilla. I don't get anything other than those three notes. It's beautiful, but I already own The Antikythera Mechanism. :)

Edited to add scent description. Edited by plainjean

Weird. I don't get anything like the "smells like" references earlier: It's not at all like Underpants, Glowing Vulva, Antikythera Mechanism, or Antique Lace on me.

Instead, what it smells like--almost exactly--is The Girl. So, fans of The Girl who want something that smells like it, try this! It's amazingly similar on me.

Sniffed: Fluffy, sweet vanilla.

On skin: Ohh, Haloes is beautiful! It's pure creamy, fluffy, golden vanilla. I'm not sure how the other notes are contributing, as they are quite subtle (if there at all), but if I huff close to my skin, I occasionally catch a whiff of something a little more tart and juicy and woody. This is the ultimate comfort blend: cozy, warm, full-bodied and gently enveloping. And it does really evoke a halo: glowing vanilla from a distance, but growing stronger and a little more complex the closer I sniff my skin. Colour impression is a warm, rich, sunny gold, just like the artwork.

Lyonesse is very similar, if a bit less fluffy and more watery. The Antikythera Mechanism is a deeper, smoother variant.

Verdict: Ah, Haloes is one of my favourite blends, vanilla perfected! Totally hoard-worthy too... I'd be devastated if this were discontinued. Between Haloes, Snake Oil and The Antikythera Mechanism, I have my 'light' and 'dark' vanilla blends covered. Wonderful!

In the bottle: Oak, white flowers, a bit of ginger, apricot.

Wet on skin: Oak, fluffy vanilla (think TKO drydown), white flowers, tangy ginger, spicy tonka, a bit of apricot.

Dry on skin: Vanillaed oak, with hints of amber, white flowers, apricot and tonka.

Final thoughts: I picked up a bottle of this at the New England Will Call, as I was always interested in trying it, but since it's a retail only Salon, my chances were somewhat slim of acquiring a bottle! It's a very warm, comforting woodsy vanilla scent. The oak and tonka give the blend an interesting depth and the apricot adds a slight fruitiness that I really enjoyed. Beautiful, I'm keeping this one for colder days.

Try if you like: Antikythera Mechanism, Antique Lace

This scent reminds me of Lovers In A Ricefield. I get sandalwood and the same sort of vanilla/rice/shea note from both blends. They both have a sweetness to them from the fruit notes in them. They are sweet, but not in a foodie way. Haloes is a beautiful blend, but it was just not my thing in the end. I am not sure what note is throwing me off. I do not get a blast of floral so I can not say that the lily of the valley is overpowering in any way. I guess it is just a scent combination that I can appreciate, but move along for someone else to enjoy in the end :).

I get a slightly sweetened woody cream note from this. No fruit and no floral. I do think I detect a little bit of ginger peeking through, but mostly sort of a woody-creamy note. Actually quite nice.

Need to re-test though because something on my arm is giving me a headache :cry2:

Pretty but very, very faint- I have to put my wrist right up to my nose and huff to get a wisp of this. Creamy and softly floral, it really is a very, very pretty scent. Too soft for me, though- I'm not much a "pretty" soft of girl lol! :lol:

I really haven't reviewed this one? Wow.

I got this a little less that a year ago, and I'm gonna have to look for a Vermontian to snag me another bottle soon! :)

On me, the apricot, oak and vanilla meld so nicely, and though it is a light one with modest throw, there is something so golden warm without being suffocating... :thud:

I absolutely adore Haloes!!! I was sitting at work today, listening to some fool blather on, and thinking "Omg, I'm having one of those 'I'm so in love with the scent I'm wearing' days!"

And normally woody scents worry me, but this oak is so smooth compared to other woods, and the whole lot just goes to Yum! on my skin.

oh wow, this is a beauty! very warm yet clear. thankfully, the apricot behaves and isn't too strong and fruity (i tend to avoid fruit notes.) i think i am mostly getting a creamy vanilla, tonka, lily and apricot in this. it's a very golden vanilla scent, but it also has a coolness bordering on aquatic, lurking in the background, yet i am not sure what note it is attributed to, maybe the oak+lily. this is a very sophisticated scent and it has a lot of throw. i like this, but my skin seems to be amping something in this quite a bit. i think it will work for me if i use it very sparingly.

I have been lusting after Haloes for some time now and was finally able to make it up to the store in Burlington to pick up a bottle :)

Haloes is a creamy vanilla scent on my skin, vaguely reminiscent of Hellhound on my Trail. As it dries, my skin amps the apricot note turning this into delicious, grown-up vanilla/apricot scent. The amber seems to tame and ground the sweetness of the vanilla preventing it from going foody or cupcake-like. This one stays close to the skin and has a medium throw...it's perfect for the summer. Haloes totally lives up to the hype!

I always thought I would enjoy Haloes, now I finally get the chance to try it!

Upon application I smell the lily of the valley along with ginger, apricot and oak. It is indeed "sparkly" and bright, coming across almost as a citrus scent thanks to the combo of ginger's spiciness with apricot's fruitiness. As it dries a bit of the vanilla arrives, sweetening things up. It retains a woodsy afternote as the oak and sandalwood settle in the background.

It's very pretty and unique. For me though, my chemistry is amping a lot of ginger/lily when I wanted the tonka/vanilla/amber. The oak and sandalwood are lovely, but there's too much of an almost acrid overlay on the top. The subtle, rich sweetness just can't compete.

Why did you have to ruin this for me, ginger? So close to perfection.

*edit* I might have spoken too soon. Another 40 min later, I keep getting whiffs of something gorgeous. I realize it's Haloes and sniff more closely: The ginger has finally left the stage and a beautiful delicate vanilla frolics amidst light sandalwood and tonka. Which, for the record, is stunning. Not sure I'm happy with the super long drydown, but the end product is so amazing I'll probably hold onto this.

Edited by Balame

I never wrote a review for this one? Weird!

On the skin: I get mostly oak, tonka, vanilla, and a tinge of lovely white florals. Very pretty. It's a bit strange though... I think this scent is trying to turn slightly plasticky on me. *sad face* I remember this one smelling so nice on me! It used to be one of my favorites, but now it just doesn't seem to work. :(

Creamy vanilla yumminess. I keep sniffing my arm, nom nom nom! I adore this scent!

Haloes does this amazing thing on my skin, it turns into Antique Lace. A smoother and softer Antique Lace.

Well, I've found it. My personal bpal holy grail. There is nothing left to look for, I'm done. THIS. IS. IT.

Haloes smells soft, warm, and golden. It's predominant notes on me are oak (distinctive, yet mild and not overly woody) followed by tonka and vanilla (the grown-up kind, not the foody kind). The ginger is so subtle, but helps tone down the sweetness. I don't smell amber, but I know it's in here due to the warm feel of the scent. I think its the amber/ginger combining with the vanilla that gives this such a "golden" feeling. I'm quickly learning that there is something very special about white sandalwood- I don't exactly know what it smells like, but so many of the really exquisite bpals have it as a component.

I never pick up apricot, but there is just a hint of something at the edges of the scent that tells me it's there. It's like a spark of brightness, just a drop to lighten things and add a hint of freshness.

I could go on about this for pages, it is just that good. I love every stage- the creamy sweetness when first applied, and the lovely drydown, where the scent of freshly blooming lily peeks through. My one wish is that it would have greater throw, it's very light. But that allows me to slather myself in it with no fear of over-doing things, so its all good!

I actually know how this scent came to be. Antikythera Mechanism (bold oak and vanilla) seduced shy orange-blossom and apricot Katharina. Haloes is their heavenly baby. :wub3:

Edited by Teaker

Now I get what all the hype is about. :evol:

Wet: I get something similar to TKO except where TKO is, to me, a cool scent; Haloes is a warm scent. I think the TKO connection comes from the vanilla which I swear is the same in both blends.

Dry: A smooth, creamy, fluffy blanket of vanilla with apricot, oak, a touch of spice from the ginger, and a distant floral teasing me. The scent is warm and comforting but still grown-up and I do get some similarities to Antikythera Mechanism. Haloes just shot up to my top three scents of all time. It is absolutely stunning :thud:

ZOMG.......:::fainting couch:::*thud.

If Tree of Life, Eastern Comma and Anactoria made sweet, sweet love and fed each other ginger..... it would be this.....

I've never blind bought a bottle before....ever...... and I did with this. And sweet mother of Pearl.......I cannot even...

The creamy heaven....the gorgeous mellow, warm oak and tonka lulling me into a Bottom's Dream like stupor of bliss.......haloed by the whisper of flowers and ginger and apricot...

This is ridiculous, spell binding, soul singing heaven.

MOAR HALOES.... all the Haloes.....<3

In the bottle - Greener than I expected based on the scent description.

Wet - Beautiful vanilla oak.

Drydown - The oak and sandalwood are blending together wonderfully, and the tonka-vanilla mixture is elevating this to places I’ve only ever dreamed of. The oak is creamier than usual in this oil -- probably thanks to the lily and apricot -- and the effect is glorious. I’m walking through radiant, golden woods inside of a daydream. The sun is streaking through the canopy and illuminating the leaves so that everything is positively glowing, including my mood. It’s enchanting.

Verdict - HOARD. This is one of the best blends I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

APPARENTLY my skin amps the ginger and the lily, not any of the other scents.

In the bottle it was woodsy, spicy vanilla. On my skin, it is ginger and lily, with some apricot in the background. It smells like fancy, expensive soap. Still, I do not want to smell like soap.

Sigh. Maybe I'll keep the decant and re-test at a later date.

When my 5mL of Haloes first arrived, I was kicking myself for buying it blind because while it smelled nice in the bottle, it immediately turned into pencil shavings and play-doh on my skin. Letting the bottle sit for about a week did the trick, though. It's turned into the most beautiful blend in the month and a half that I've had it, and I can't wait to see what aging does to this oil.

In the bottle: this is where the lily and ginger notes are the most prominent for me -- spicy, sharp floral with some amber thrown in the mix

Wet: what I think of as the "warm" notes of the blend -- vanilla, tonka, and amber -- immediately come forward and take over. If I huff my skin deeply I can smell gingery sandalwood and a bit of the lily still

Drydown: For a few hours, I get a glorious, gorgeous spiced/woodsy/creamy vanilla that's not at all gourmand/foody. The sandalwood and amber both mellow out, and I can see why "golden" is used to describe this scent so often. At this stage, I'd describe Haloes as a sophisticated and sexy second skin scent.

Extreme drydown: sweet vanilla

Definitely one to hoard -- I've been wearing Haloes nearly every day for a month and can't get enough of it.

Bear with me as I go on another trippy synesthetic monologue. When wet, I picked up the notes distinctly one at a time almost like an a cappella choir. It was like each voice joining one after another: Vanilla/tonka, then fruity apricot, then something that reminded me of Antikythera Mechanism. They meld together in a sustained single chord that reminds me a little of Mugler's Angel, but this is much subtler and smoother. It's got a similar woody/sweet/fruitiness, but I don't care for Angel's fruitchouli overload. This is a new fave!

On paper, this should have been my signature scent. Love vanilla/tonka, Lily of the Valley is my favorite flower, and add in a little resin/woody goodness to anchor it and make it last? I should be in heaven!

On my skin, I like it, but don't love it, and I'm a little sad.

It's soft and warm, glowing is a good descriptor. I get a round, complicated vanilla-like thing: on the sweet side, and not exactly foody. Not the super-duper almost tasteable sweet of LotV or honey. When it's dried down I can sniff hard for some wood and amber. I know I never got any Lily (because I mourn!), and I don't remember any apricot either.

There is absolutely nothing wrong about this scent. It is the kind of thing I would use to enable, or maybe put on my kids, or use in a lotion for layering with other things. I don't regret buying a bottle, but I'm still on the lookout for the thing I wish it had been.

ETA: I'm revising my review, since I am coming to wear Haloes more and more over the past month. I'm forgiving it for not being what I hoped, and appreciating it for what it is: a close-wearing, sweet, comfortable, vanilla-based loveliness. It's the scent I wear on a day when I want my perfume to be there, but unassuming. The day I know I will be layering later on because new BPAL mail is coming. When I'm going to be sitting with others in close quarters for long periods of time. Haloes is an introvert, lovely when you give her time and space to be herself.

Edited by xeia

So excited to try this!!

Wet, it smells like laundry at first, and that freaks me out. I HATE that "clean linen" smell, it smells fake to me and makes me nauseous.

As it dries, it doesn't smell like laundry anymore, it just pretty much disappears. I only used a tiny amount at first. I reapplied another tiny amount to the same spot, and immediately I got a warm, lightly floral, woody aroma, way better than laundry.

I am really undecided about this, and think I need to test it again another day. It wavers between laundry and a nice vanilla, but it's nothing as amazing as what I was expecting after reading all the reviews. Figures my chemistry messes things up for me again....sometimes I think I'll never find a vanilla that works!

ETA: I gave this a second chance, knowing that both my tastes and chemistry have changed, and I am so glad I did. It's gorgeous and hoard worthy on me now. I love the oak note, it's so rich and beautiful. The fruit and vanilla is lovely. <3 Smelling this makes me so happy, and I now I will wear the heck out of it in Spring and Summer.

Edited by LizziesLuck

So so gorgeous, I immediately bought a second bottle the day this arrived and I have never regretted it.

This doesn't morph much from bottle to wearing, it's a soft soft sweet vanillic wood, blended beautifully, none of the notes stand out beyond the soft woods and it's just...absolutely gorgeous and evocative of the image. Definitely in my top ten.