Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Peacocks

Asian pear, white musk, bamboo pulp, violet, ambergris, sugar cane, night-blooming jasmine, plum, freesia, and moss.

Peacocks is a nice scent, but for my taste, it's a little too sweet and fruity, along the lines of Cheshire Moon, Sugar Moon, and fresh Juliet (although Peacocks is a different scent altogether).

Wet: The first impression is that it's heavy on the pear. There almost seems to be a hint of citrus, but this may be from the dominant pear note. I can't seem to pick up on the rest of the listed notes, as the fresh fruit note is right up front, along with the sweet sugar cane.

After a few minutes: Now I'm starting to pick up on the freesia, and maybe some other notes, which give the sweet pear an herbal/floral background. In fact, now I'm reminded of Singing Moon.

Overall: It's a pleasant scent, but a bit too much fruit to be something that I'd reach for (I'm not all that drawn to fruity scents, they really have to blow me away to impress me). I'm also disappointed that I never picked out jasmine, violet, or musk.

3.8 out of 5

Have you ever eaten one of those gummy candies that is coated in marshmallow? That's what Peacocks smells like in the bottle -- it's sweet, but not in a tooth-achingly way. It's soft and creamy, with a little bit of the crushed greenery. Straight out of the bottle, it reminds me of a more subdued Hungry Ghost Moon, but then morphs into something citrusy. I must admit, I'm not clear on what bamboo smells like, but the scent I was getting during the middle stage smelled a lot like lemon verbena, with a little bit of pear. It's almost luminescent. Now, the citrus scent has vanished, and the fruit I smelled at the beginning has come back, only this time it's softer and a bit more mellow. Overall, I'm very impressed with this one. It's an effortless scent -- lovely, but not "too much", if that makes any sense. I also have to say I'm glad that the jasmine in this behaved on me; I wouldn't have known it was in there if I hadn't read the notes.

4.5/5

When first applied the pear really jumps out of this - it's an extremely fruity scent and very sweet. As it dries more green woodsy bamboo and white musk come out, making it a bit drier and less fruit-juicy. It's damp, cool, natural, and fresh. The sensory impression I get from it is of pale green opaque silk. Definitely a brilliant scent for the summer.

I can't place what I smell, but I can say its - not.for.me. - I think I smell bamboo and candied pear or something, which sounds lovely, but... I'm not sure why this doesn't work on me. Maybe its the violet combining with something... Its sharp and sweet and sour at the same time.

edit: I will admit that after it dries, this is gorgeous =) Im just not sure I can put up with the wet stage

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Peacocks is one of those ones that I sort of figured I would never get to try, but put it on my list anyway. Thanks to SPamber, though, I get to try a decant! Yay!

In the decant, this is very green-smelling (almost aquatic) and fruity. It certainly evokes the painting – lovely hues of green, blue and purple. I think I am mostly getting the pear, plum, and possibly some of the bamboo. It’s very different than anything else I have.

On my skin, this develops into a lovely fruity-sweet floral with just a hint of greenery/aquatic. It is very fruity, actually, mostly pear with a little plum. I do get the tiniest bit of jasmine, but then I’ve never been one to have a problem with jasmine – it seems to be well-behaved with my chemistry, and I quite like the scent of it.

This is not too-sweet, it is just-the-right-amount sweet. The greenness, which I think is the bamboo note (along with maybe a little bit of moss), keeps it from becoming cloyingly fruity and floral. It's really, really pretty.

The betrothed, of course, likes this one a lot. GAH. Ohhh, off to hunt for a bottle, I guess... :P

Imp: First thing that hits me is a sweet fruit, then a sweet floral, and then a hit of something citrus-y (which may actually be the bamboo?).

Wet:Citrusy bamboo supported by sweet fruits (pear especially, but a pale plum, too).

Dry: Still lemon-like bamboo with a sweet fruity floral underneath. Its also a bit creamy (not in the vanilla or milky sense, but I dont' know how else to describe it), not sure what that’s from.

Overall: Reminds me of some of the asian moons, and I also see the similarities some have mentioned to Black Moon. I'm SO glad that jasmine didn’t rear its ugly head as is its usual MO. This is a lovely sophisticated blend--floral, sweet, green, all in a lovely balance. As pretty as it is, however, its just not a "me" bland, so I'll be passing it on.

For the first few minutes of this I rather bizarrely get those marshmallow teacake things - creamy coconutty with a bit of dark fruit. It's nice, but god only knows where I'm getting coconut from.

The bamboo and pear eventually emerge, and while these are two scents I usually love, they turn the bend into a confused mess, the sweet green clashing loudly with the deep plum and white musk. There's also a hint of violet in the throw, and altogether the blends just a bit too powdery, sweet and unsettled for me. And for some reason I'm still picking up coconut :P

Origin: Bought at the Raleigh, NC, Whole Foods.

Initial Thoughts: This blend attracted me at once, with the white musk (dark musks amp badly on me), freesia, pear, plum and jasmine. The BPAL violet note can turn very ugly on me if it's not beaten down by many stronger notes.

In the Bottle: Smooth and cool and fruity. At first I'm reminded more of The Black Swan, gliding on a glassy pond under a full moon, even though that's another blend and smells totally different.

Wet: It's much warmer on my skin to start with. Still fruity and smoothly sweet, but the chill that made me think "night-scent" is gone right now. I can smell the fruits, the musk, some jasmine and maybe some sugarcane. So far the violet is either nonexistent or playing so well with the others that I can't pick it out.

Drydown: The jasmine and freesia get stronger, and I think the tangy impression that's developing might be the bamboo. There's a definite "Asian" suggestion now, a bit like a couple of the Asian-themed moons that I tried. The suggestion of chill and nighttime is coming back as well, while the fruitiness retreats.

Verdict: A good scent for wearing to work, as it's subtle but refreshing.

780892351_foW7z-Ti.jpg

Right off, I smell pear. Lots and lots of pear, with a bit of citrusy-bamboo and a little green, but the pear is what takes over and reigns supreme. This is all right with me, as I adore pear notes, but I must admit Pear Single Note isn't what I expected in a Salon blend, LOL! I was really hoping for a bit more violet in this blend, and well, more <i>anything</i> than just pear, to be honest. Oh well -- I do love it enough to wear it, so it's good I have a bottle.

Edited by stellans

This almost works on me...but it's really wishful thinking. Something has soured/powdered on me but above that there's something that smells almost like coconut and lychee.

Wow, I was really not expecting this to work on me, especially considering that about five of the notes are ones I usually try to avoid.

However-- this is... it's reminding me of something from my past, & it's going to drive me nuts, because I can't put my finger on it. But already, it's got that nostalgia thing going for it, so I'm a goner.

It smells like the sun shining through stained glass to me. This is what I'd imagine that to smell like, especially the greens & whites & blues reflected on the floor or the wall.

Or a cold, cold night with those fat cobalt blue Christmas shining on the snow.

It smells like... if you were to be so full of happiness that it somehow could lift you off the ground & float you away into the sky... the air around you would smell like Peacocks.

I'm absolutely no help whatsoever with notes, and I apologize.

I have to hunt down a bottle of this, somehow.

In bottle: Flowery fruits.

Wet on skin: Sweet and fruity. I definitely smell the pear and the coconut.

Drydown (3 minutes): Kind of a flowery coconut-y smell now.

Drydown (5 minutes): Every thing is really blended together nicely. I mostly smell pear and coconut with a light floral background.

Overall Impression: This is very nice scent for spring, I think. It's kinda wet, and green, and fruity, and slightly floral.

In the imp: sugary pear (although the bf swears it's coconut). It stayed that way wet on my skin, and after almost an hour, I finally started smelling musk, a hint of green and white florals. The freesia and the jasmine are really competing with each other, so it's hard to distinguish anything but white floral at this point. It's a pleasant scent, but may be just a tad too sweet for me. I feel a little like I'm getting a huff of powdered sugar each time I sniff my wrist.

Pear and white musk in there for sure, maybe a touch of plum? On my skin, it's pear, white musk, with the bamboo pulp and jasmine amping quick. Hrm. Fades quick to nothing, not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

...Verbena? It’s bizarre, I smell verbena. And sugar-coated lime. And a little bit of really clean musk. It reminds me very much of Luna Moth, just more..rounded, and more grown-up.

Sugar cane and asian pear! Watery and wet but oh so faint on me :( This would be a keeper if my skin picked it up a little better.

Sniffed: A juicy, sugary fruity-floral. Quite reminiscent of Holiday Moon, albeit nuanced and more complex, and less bold as a result.

On skin: When wet, Peacocks is sugary, juicy, fruity green-floral. Airy and discreet, yet full-bodied and watery in a juicy-fruit way. Everything is very blended and I can't quite pick out any particular notes. It is quite similar to Holiday Moon when wet (must be the bamboo pulp, the only common note listed), but definitely more floral and complex. Unfortunately, after drydown, a sour, thin note emerges that threatens to overwhelm the blend -- lemon verbena tends to be the culprit, but there's no verbena listed! Thankfully, the rest of the blend is grounded enough to prevent this sour note from overwhelming, and it eventually disappears. Overall, Peacocks ends up a gentle, light, juicy-green fruit-floral. It also fades very quickly on my skin.

Verdict: Even though it's pretty, I can never remember how Peacocks smells after I've worn it out -- I think it suffers from having too many notes and, as a result, has no distinctive character. The mystery sour note also spoils what otherwise would be a pleasant blend. Not memorable, I won't be keeping it.

Besides the pear it's hard for me to pick out distinct notes.

Slightly sweet, fruity, pulpy greenery, hints of flowers, and a bit of wetness (although I wouldn't go so far as to say aquatic).

The notes are very well blended. A bright, cheerful, spring scent.

I really love this one but I won't be springing for a bottle because it only lasts for about 30 minutes and vanishes.

Oh wow, this scared me from the imp, as I got a barky-herby kind of feel from it, but it couldn't be more different on my skin!

Gorgeous fruity goodness! All the individual notes loud and clear, easy to pick apart for me, but mixed together to perfection. I won't need a bottle but I'm so glad I got to sniff it. :D