Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Reaver

Anise, Aniseed, Licorice, Liquorice, Fennel, Ouzo?

I get aniseed from Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse. It's LE, but you should be able to find it in the sales/swaps forums pretty easily, since it just came down.

It's awesome reading through this thread and realizing just how many of my absolute favorites have anise/fennel/licorice in them. >D I think the only one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive.

I might like to draw the distinction among 'em, though, as a lot of of the anise and star anise blends are -very- different from the fennels, which often seem a bit earthier in tone, and the licorice ones are often a lot sweeter. (All on me, of course. XD Your mileage may vary!)

One I would kind of like to anti-recommend is Hideous Heart, which may have licorice root, but ends up smelling like -red- licorice to me, complete with the weird aftertaste. D: Not what I was hoping for, which was Kabuki + cinnamon. *sigh*

Sort of an odd request, but does anyone know of any oils that smell like Fennel?

I did a search for fennel on the BPAL site and only had one return, a CD scent, but it looked very herbaly. I was looking more for the fennel being the dominant note or scent.

Edit: Thanks for moving this! I don't know how I didn't find this thread when I searched fennel on the boards.

Edited by London

I don't know of a fennel scent BUT I wanted to note that Huesos de Santos was re-released this year and it has an anise note. I am going to try it!

I found Pink Mood to be very licorice-y. And the Halloween prototype Licorice Bats would be right up your alley if it doesn't change too much. I hope to get my hands on some!

Edit: Thanks for moving this! I don't know how I didn't find this thread when I searched fennel on the boards.

I just edited the title of the thread - the only term that was in the title before was "aniseed" and all of the other terms were in the subtitle, so that could be why it wasn't turning up. Right now the search engine isn't picking up terms in subtitles. I think that might have been a software tweak and if so, perhaps we'll be able to get it back eventually. :D

Any thoughts on the more recent licorice-y scents? I have a partial of Licorice Bats, and decants of Deathly Pride and Kabuki. And I just won Humbug from the Lab! What's your favorite anise/licorice scent?

ETA: I have The Last Squished Jellybean too!

Edited by Molls

Any thoughts on the more recent licorice-y scents? I have a partial of Licorice Bats, and decants of Deathly Pride and Kabuki. And I just won Humbug from the Lab! What's your favorite anise/licorice scent?

Humbug and Pink Mood are my two favorites, but I've only recently discovered my love for the anise =)

My absolute favorite black licorice scent is Le Père Fouettard. The black leather cuts through the sweetness, but I still get tons of bold black licorice and something like a deep, sweet vanilla. It's one of my go-to perfumes when I want something that smells dark, sexy, and exotic.

I'm looking for scents that are pretty dominantly black licorice-smelling. I have Pink Mood and love it, but it's aged and doesn't last very long and the cherry blossom is stronger than when I first got it. (And I know black licorice is not a very common favorite scent so if you have some that sound like they may work and you have them for sale, feel free to link me to your sales!)

I know there is black licorice in both Black Pumpkin Floss and Black Snowballs from BPTP.

I tried Black Snowballs, but to me it seemed more berry-dominated than licorice, but I suppose it varies from person to person.

Tympanidium (Black licorice root, aged red patchouli, white sandalwood, orange blossom, lemon peel, and dried jewel-toned fruits.) is my favourite black licorice scent. I also really like Black Snowballs, but don't pick up a lot of licorice from that one.

One of my favourite licorice scents is available as part of the Lab's Gris Grimly collection:

Hideous Heart: A macabre Valentine: wild black cherries, licorice root, and cinnamon.

My other favourites are past LE's from the Trading Post, but you may be able to find them in the sales section:

LICORICE BATS: Black licorice with cacao nibs and anise.

Black Pumpkin Floss: Pumpkin candyfloss spiked with black licorice, black currant, and smoked maple.

ETA: Here's one more from the General Catalog:

Kyoto: A gentle, soothing blend of cherry blossom, white sandalwood and star anise.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Harigata II has anise but the scent has mellowed from age and there isn't much of the Anise note left in it.

La Pere Fouettard has a pretty strong Black Licorice in it. To me it's leather and licorice

One of the Box O' Chocolates from 2013 had Star Anise that's very nice...Dark chocolate with merlot-infused black cherries and star anise

But for Anise scents my personal favorite is still Kabuki which is GC so it's impable. Red musk, cherries, and star anise

Have you tried Black Annis? Its a GC. I'm not a HUGE fan of anise/licorice scents, though I do enjoy it as a background note. It is the main note in Black Annis (to my nose) with backing from oakmoss, vetiver, and just a hint of civet.

I was really a little afraid of this scent, not just because I didn't want to smell like cat pee, but I LOVE it. It definitely doesn't smell like cat pee. :lol: Although it is heavy on the oakmoss and vetiver. :yum:

Lab decription: Black Annis' perfume is a mixture of damp cave lichen and oak leaf with a hint of vetiver, civet and anise.

On me, Kabuki is predominantly anise to the point that I've been letting it age for months in the hopes that I can smell the red musk, which is normally a note that my skin amplifies. I mean it screams anise on me. The reviews show that a lot of people mostly get red musk or cherries, so your mileage may vary.

Absinthe is one of my favorite GCs. It's definitely got the anise factor, but the blend is rounded out with other herbal notes that you may or may not like.

Speaking of Absinthe...

I haven't tried it yet, but in this year's Lupers there's also Absinthe Bonbon, if you like chocolate blends. :smile:

OK, I'll give a completely different anise recommendation. Baku. It is all anise and lavender on me. So, unless you don't like lavender, it may work. At least on me, the anise hangs around long after the lavender fades away. I know my aged bottle has softened the anise, but it's still very noticeable to me. (My bottle is almost two years old now.) There are no scent notes on that one.

Speaking of Absinthe...

I haven't tried it yet, but in this year's Lupers there's also Absinthe Bonbon, if you like chocolate blends. :smile:

Yes, this!!! I ordered a decant and can't wait to try it.

And another vote for Kyoto, which was mentioned above but I forgot to second. That one is like a floral anise.

I need to go peruse the Will-Call threads to see what people thought of La Befana. I have it in my head that candy charcoal = licorice, and that kept me from ordering a bottle (I am not a fan of licorice smells or tastes, I don't even like fennel as a vegetable :D ) But of course, if it has licorice, the licorice lovers can rejoice!

I didn't find La Befana's candy charcoal to be at all licorice-like. it's a light, sweet violet floral. if the yule's are still up tomorrow (my payday), I will prob get a backup. it's a very pretty perfume. not a tremendous amount of throw, but my favorite bpal violet scent to date.

I hadn't been drawn to the anise scents until I met a girl who told me that she wears a single note of star anise. She mentioned soap making and that it was one of her favorites. On her it smelled very spicy-herbal and earthy - almost like a subtle patchouli (delicious...!). I was really surprised when she said it was anise because it didn't smell like licorice candy to me. Are there any scents in the GC like this? Black Annis? Or maybe Absinthe?

Thanks!!

I hadn't been drawn to the anise scents until I met a girl who told me that she wears a single note of star anise. She mentioned soap making and that it was one of her favorites. On her it smelled very spicy-herbal and earthy - almost like a subtle patchouli (delicious...!). I was really surprised when she said it was anise because it didn't smell like licorice candy to me. Are there any scents in the GC like this? Black Annis? Or maybe Absinthe?

Thanks!!

I just wanted to say that star anise smells nothing like licorice or regular anise to me, so that is probably why you did not recognize it. It is one of the main ingredients in Chinese 5 spice powder, so you can acquaint yourself with the smell. I know that the lab has used it in some things, but with the other notes added, it might not be that noticeable.