Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Antaria

Windward Passage

Breezes blowing off of the waters of the Caribbean: marine accord, seaweed, and bladderwrack.

In the imp: Aquaaaaaatic. It has a rather soapy quality to it, and it is quite salty. I am guessing that is the marine accord.

Wet: Still salty, but not as much as it was in the vial. The soapy quality is present, but it isn't as soapy smelling as it was in the imp.

Nevermind, it is getting saltier now. The marine accord dominates. I can smell seaweed, too. However, I'm not familiar with bladderwrack.

I also take back what I said about it not being as soapy. It is VERY soapy now.

Dry: Ugh. Horrible, generic soap with a salty quality to it.

Verdict: Definitely not for me.

Wet: Immediately reminds me of one of those blue Calgon ocean type body sprays. Nothing ever smells good on me wet.

Dry: This is what those other aquatic perfumes wish they were. I'm not even an aquatic person, but this is beautiful. would never wear a bottles' worth, but I'll certainly enjoy the imp.

Oooh, I love it. Completely marine.

Dry: Loving it less. I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems a little too fresh maybe. A little too one note.

Beautiful deep (but not dark) blue aquatic. Salty and watery, it almost feels musky/leathery at times and is just a lovely pure aquatic blend.

The drydown reminds me the way sea shells smells, namely the texture of its outer layer. Windward Passge reminds me of another aquatic, The Deep Ones, only that WP is bit dryer.

In the imp and freshly applied, it's very sharply marine...almost artificially so. While I've never been to the Caribbean, I do live in Florida, and the sea breezes smell more humid and organic than this. Maybe it's more of an open ocean scent than a beach scent? Open ocean doesn't seem to be my thing, what with my seasickness and all.

After a few minutes, this has become powdery blue artificial cheap drugstore ocean candle scent. Not for me.

Ouch! That's the second of the Aquatic imp bundle I've had to bump to my sell/swaps pile.

This is a vacationer's marine scent, rather than a mariner's marine -- it smells a bit like the real thing, but more like a fantasy of ocean. This smells like pale aqua-green to me. It's clean, bright and leaves an ocean impression without being especially salty. (There's something a little tangy and a little salty in the mix that seems to impersonate brine without smelling much like it. Not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on what you want.)

Windward Passage goes soapy on me after drying, but not to a degree that bothers me. If I'd had it at the time, I probably would've taken it with us to the islands, but worn other blends more often.

Ok so after the patchouli-scented disaster of yesterday, I want something a little more fresh and clean smelling, so I'm gonna try an oceany aquatic. Oooh this smells amazing when I first put it on. Like a breeze coming directly from the sea. It's incredibly true to the concept. It's a sea wind. It's both oceany and wind-like. The marine accord is not just watery but salt water specifically, which i love. The seaweed is a minor note, enough to make an appearance but not overwhelming. Not sure what bladderwrack smells like exactly but it's also a type of seaweed so I imagine it's in there too. It does lean ever so slightly masculine (oh well, I think that's just because I associate ozonic/aquatic scents with cologne) and a touch soapy, which I don't mind and which doesn't dominate. This is incredibly fresh and clean, like an ocean after a storm, or just before. There's a misty windy quality. I just really like this one. It smells a little bit like Hurricane (which I love), or at least in the same spirit as Hurricane, if anyone is looking for a replacement for that one, despite the lack of similar notes. The imagery is of standing in the wind on a cloudy gray beach and looking out to sea, with piles of seaweed and bladderwrack lying around on the sand. To me it's not a beach where you swim. It's a cold grey beach in a northern area in the winter. You would go there wearing a sweater to enjoy the moody weather, not for tanning and swimming. Anyway, throw is amazing for an aquatic, i could detect it all day. And it lasted for a long time, which was nice because watery scents tend to be light and short-lasting on me!

It smells like taking a soapy bath in the sea, basically. I love it, LOVE it on first application, but after a few minutes it turns all handsoap on me. Damn.

In the imp: Margaritas! Smells like lime and salt with a touch of sweet.

On skin, wet: A blast of cologne-y citrus, although much fresher than the usual and more tolerable. Definitely leans masculine but not so much that I want to scrub it off.

Drying: The most glorious citrusy-salty smell ever. I tend to shy away from aquatics but salt is a great perfume note. Sadly this only lasts about ten minutes.

On skin, dry: Soapy, with some salt still lingering. I understand the comparison to dryer sheets. I do still find this phase pleasant, but I'm mourning the loss of that beautiful salty in-between stage. I can never have enough salt perfumes.

While this claims to be Caribbean, and starts out as a salty marine, it absolutely dries to the Lab's snow note with soap on top. I like the Lab's snow note, so this is not a problem for me, but if you're expecting something more aquatic or warm-water, this is not for you.

First sniff: Aquatic ahoy. Straight up Grandma's bathroom full of Irish Spring. Because I'm super into beaches and the Caribbean, I'm theoretically drawn to aquatics; in practice, I've only found a few I love. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them. And as an aside, what on earth is it that makes aquatics and Irish Spring have 'that smell'?

Where I'd wear this: Showering off after a long day, and scrubbing the sand super hard.

I opened the imp up and was greeted by the overwhelmingly clean scent of Irish Spring. It's soapy and green aquatic. I don't get any salt, just soap. It's not for me, then.

This is my first review.

I don't get linens, soapy, or Irish Spring from this.

I get salty, tangy ocean with strong winds, and wood.

Like I'm on the deck of a wooden ship in open seas and choppy water stirred by a windy over cast day. Sometimes a stop on a nearby beach. A day for adventure!

This is quite lovely. It does fade after an hr or so.

Definitely want more of this. I'm surprised as I didn't think I would love an aquatic, guess I need to give more a try! I wish I knew where the wood scent was coming from.

Edited by AngelinDecline

This one's a bit of a journey in terms of morphing. In the imp and immediately after applying, I mostly get a fresh, clean marine accord. Then, as it dries down, Irish Spring. After drydown, I get more of a true ocean scent -- some of that freshness is still there, but there's also saltiness and a slight funkiness to it that takes it into true marine territory for me. Low-ish throw, but great wear length. I have other "ocean" scents I like better and so I can bypass a bottle, but I'll probably hang onto my frimp. It's a subtle enough scent that I can see potentially layering it with other aquatics to give them more of an oceanic vibe.

Clean, aquatic, salty. Reminds me of men's cologne or soap. It gets nicer as it dries, but I'm still not really a fan. (Imp of unknown age)

Ooh this is lovely! I've never been even close to the Carribean, I've spent my whole life living on the West Coast, so no clue how accurately it reads on that front, but it's a wonderful marine aquatic scent.

It reminds me of kayaking and canoeing in sheltered areas along the NorCal coast watching out for sea otters amongst the seaweed on a foggy morning. It's a very clean, salty aquatic with several different but tangled seaweed notes. 

On me, it's very much in the same family as Cthulhu. I'm really glad to have gotten an imp from a lovely forumite of this discontinued scent. I'm glad I have other things in this family though, because otherwise I'd be desperately in search of a bottle (mind you, I wouldn't mind a bottle, this is definitely my sort of thing).