Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oedipa

The secret Old Spice lovers club!

Ok, so my fabulous boyfriend is stuck on Old Spice...and, Lord love him, it's what my grandfather wears. And, nothing against my grandfather, but when I cozy up to my hot blonde boyfriend the last thing I want to be thinking is, "...Grandpa?" :P

So can anyone rec a good substitute/similar blend? I've pretty much told him, "Look, I'm going to put this on you and if it smells good and doesn't make your arm fall off, you're going to wear it, ok?" and he shrugs in his noncomittal way - his way of letting me know he's not so much wanting to make a change as he wants to make me happy (and is also too lazy to escape from my evil clutches, mwahahahahaha!).

OLD SPICE -

Top Notes

Orange, Lemon, Spices, Clary Sage, Aldehydes

Middle Notes

Cinnamon, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Pimento Berry

Base Notes

Vanilla, Musk, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Benzoin, Tonka, Ambergris

Dracul reminds me of Old Spice.

Something with a bay rum feel might work as well...Mr. Nancy, Jolly Roger, etc.

(Dirty secret: I like Old Spice.)

Ok, so my fabulous boyfriend is stuck on Old Spice...and, Lord love him, it's what my grandfather wears. And, nothing against my grandfather, but when I cozy up to my hot blonde boyfriend the last thing I want to be thinking is, "...Grandpa?" :P

So can anyone rec a good substitute/similar blend? I've pretty much told him, "Look, I'm going to put this on you and if it smells good and doesn't make your arm fall off, you're going to wear it, ok?" and he shrugs in his noncomittal way - his way of letting me know he's not so much wanting to make a change as he wants to make me happy (and is also too lazy to escape from my evil clutches, mwahahahahaha!).

OLD SPICE -

Top Notes

Orange, Lemon, Spices, Clary Sage, Aldehydes

Middle Notes

Cinnamon, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Pimento Berry

Base Notes

Vanilla, Musk, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Benzoin, Tonka, Ambergris

(Dirty secret: I like Old Spice.)

I *love* Old Spice.

Moving along...have him try Crowley.

Edited by Electra

Thanks for the recs!

I have tried two scents on him thus far (Leo and Ozymandias) with dodgy results…Leo amped to all-amber badness (way too sweet!) and Ozy was just “bleh!” – I put it on him in my casual “sneak attack” way and within two minutes he was waving his arm around, making a face and saying, “Oh HELL no! Whatever this is, hell no!!”. I’m also going to pick up Golden Priapus and Dorian, just because they’re so popular.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Old Spice-smellalikes for my boyfriend! I got lucky and got ahold of some OotD: Count Dracula and oh...wow, does it smell awesome on him. :P

It is really similar to Old Spice but darker, sharper - dare I say with a hint of malice? The last bit is perhaps just my imagination, but it does smell absolutely amazing on him, and it's similar enough to his preciouses that he lets me apply it whenever I want.

I even caught him going for the bottle before a party...he gave me a long-suffering look as he applied it and made some snarky comment about my taste in perfume - but he was the one who put it on, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's growing on him. Again, thanks guys!

Hello there,

I just learned that my uncle is still lamenting the loss of the discontinued 'Old Spice Lime'. So I thought rather than buy him some geriatric bottles left over from the 1980's, I'd use the opportunity to ease him into the BPAL world - even if it's a struggle, as he's a Lacoste 'yacht-wear' type of guy, poor man.

So I really need recommendations for anything that could be similar, or something with that familiar 'Old Spice' feel plus a citrus kick - especially if it's limey.

Thanks!! :P

What you want here is Spider. :P

Also worth trying: Whitechapel, Villain, Old Scratch. Old Scratch has no lime, but it does do that fresh-but-spicy thing that regular Old Spice does (only much better, of course). I sometimes wonder if it's a cute joke on Beth's part. :D

What you want here is Spider. :P

Also worth trying: Whitechapel, Villain, Old Scratch. Old Scratch has no lime, but it does do that fresh-but-spicy thing that regular Old Spice does (only much better, of course). I sometimes wonder if it's a cute joke on Beth's part. :D

I second the vote for Villain. My Dad is an Old Spice guy not sure if he uses the one with Lime but Villain totally smells like him. I love the way it smells too but I had to forbid my hubby from wearing it because it reminded me of my Dad so much. Cause ick - totally not right.

I may be in the minority here, but if you can nab a bottle of Yog Soggoth, I think it smells quite a LOT like the Old Spice I used to give my dad as a little kid on whatever occasion required it.

Edited by SueDonym

Thank you Aevalin and Su, I'll check those out - though I'll start with the lime-ier ones, as that definitely seems to be a perogative.

:P

On me, Torture King has a very similar feel (Frankincense and sweet clove, mandarin and bourbon, lemon peel and leather, grasses and smoke, lime and vetiver, ambergris and deep musk).

Someone in the reviews just said that Pirate Moon smelled like Old Spice Lime on them (and mentioned another scent which did, as well) so that might be worth a look....

Someone in the reviews just said that Pirate Moon smelled like Old Spice Lime on them (and mentioned another scent which did, as well) so that might be worth a look....

Yea, that might've been my review...I was just about to come here and say so when I read this :P

But really, both Pirate Moon and The Phoenix EXUDE "Old Spice Lime" on me. I'm not giving up hope for them yet, as I'm personally hoping it's a time of month and/or the lotion I put on underneath it (realized this AFTER the review)...but I'd be willing to decant you an imp to see how you feel about it.

Oh, you, utter sweethearts :P

thank you so much for all the suggestions so far!

And HonorAlexandria, you are the sweetiest of sweethearts!

Another member recently surprised me with a frimp of Phoenix, so I'll test that one first (naturally) then consider parting with it, or getting another one, hehee. But with two recommendations for Pirate Moon I think I should give it a shot!

I saw the 'for sale' link in your sig - but it's been archived. Mewl. If you have any imps still that you're considering selling, let me know, and I could include the Pirate moon on my list :D

Oh, you, utter sweethearts :D

thank you so much for all the suggestions so far!

And HonorAlexandria, you are the sweetiest of sweethearts!

Another member recently surprised me with a frimp of Phoenix, so I'll test that one first (naturally) then consider parting with it, or getting another one, hehee. But with two recommendations for Pirate Moon I think I should give it a shot!

I saw the 'for sale' link in your sig - but it's been archived. Mewl. If you have any imps still that you're considering selling, let me know, and I could include the Pirate moon on my list :D

Yea my for sale list is woefully out of date. I do have plans on updating it soon(NOTE: since "soon" could be anything from this weekend to next month) but if there's anything on there now that you're interested in, let me know. Either way, send me a PM :P