Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2007

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry.

This is mouth-wateringly good! The vanilla cream is just delicious and the strawberry is tart and juicy just like ripe berries should be. I can actually smell the strawberry more than the cherry. A wonderful foody scent though it does remind me of a less cakier version of Eat Me. Lasting power is not as strong as I’d like but am very happy to reapply. Edited by mspixieears

I swapped for an imp of this today, and it's lovely! I am a gourmand so I figured it would work. Someone's earlier comparison to Eat Me is quite apt, although this is definitely lighter on the cake than Eat Me. I smell buttercream and jam - I don't get a particular strawberry or cherry vibe from it, just a generic kind of 'berry', but a pretty one - with a soft touch of sponge cake. If I sniff hard, there's something faintly spicy beneath all that. Very nice!

I was really excited about this scent at first, it smelled absolutely amazing in the bottle. Just like cupcakes! However, my skin did not get along nearly so well with it. It made me at first smell like vinegar-drenched cupcakes, then I eventually smelled like Play-doh. I'll give it another try, especially since I have a full bottle, but it very rarely started smelling like the cupcakes/food from the initial bottle sniffs. :P

Rating: 3/10

There's something funny, almost sharp and medicinal when I smell it in the bottle, but on my skin it mellows into a vanilla-y strawberries and cream. It smells kind of like those strawberry and creme Lifesavers taste only without the funky aftertaste those candies have. Baby pink and light cream-white colored. I like this one; it's not complex or startling or really all that complicated, but it's so much fun!

bottle: like the insides of chocolate-covered cherries. that vanilla-creamy-goo with cherries.

wet: this is like creamy vanilla frosting covering a mega-sweet pink strawberry cake with a dripping red cherry on tom. my teeth hurt just sniffing this, it's so damn sweet!

dry: the cream note fades to a simple sweetness while the fruit stays put. this is more teenager sexy than womanly sexy but i still love it.

In the bottle – Strawberry flavoured bubblegum :P

Wet on me – Thick, creamy strawberry milkshake

Dry on me – Actually this reminds me a lot of the original Pink Moon (was that 2005?). Soft sweet strawberries covered in crystalline sugar, but just a hint of greenness to stop it becoming to sweet

Overall – A definite winner and with the people around me. For the first time I had a complete stranger say I smelt good and ask me what I was wearing

Today is Beaver Moon Day.

Along with Beaver Moon 07 (which I tend to sadly neglect over 05) I wore my Beaver Moon 05 tshirt, to really get in the Beaver Moon mood.

In the bottle the 07 version smells slightly sweeter than the 05 version. The whole thing has less of a cheesecake scent and more of a creamy berry feel.

Wearing it seems to give a decent throw of a creamy-berry type scent. Not quite fresh bakery or cheesecake to me, but more like strawberry shortcake. Most of the way through the day it fades to a sweet berry type scent which isn't all that bad.

I mainly purchased the 07 version because I was hoping that even though it wasn't similar to the original Beaver in its description, it might be somewhat related once I sniffed it, because the original is one of my most precioussss.

Upon first whiff - candied berries mixed with a very brown sugary graham cracker crust. So far no resemblance to the original Beaver.

Wet on my skin - A teeth-gritting sugary berry, mixed with.... powdered sugar icing? It's starting to remind me slightly of something else, but not the original Beaver.

Drydown - Still very berry-like and still some hint of graham crack crust. The scent has stayed pretty true from bottle to drydown.

I love berries. No, I LOVE berries and berry scents, but this one was almost a bit too cloying for even me. It sorted of reminded me of Strawberry Moon. Or maybe a mix of Strawberry Moon and Sugar Skull 04. I like this one, but not enough to wear it because it makes me feel like a walking Strawberry Shortcake doll. I much prefer the original Beaver and will continue to hoard the bottles of cheesecakey cupcake goodness that I have left! After all, it's the only bpal scent where a total stranger stopped me and told me I smelled 'mesmerizing'. :P

Expectations: Sweet, fruity, and creamy.

In vial: Slightly sour cherries, and something rich and buttery...pound cake!

On skin, wet: Mostly the same as in the vial. It smells a little "off" somehow. If this was an actual dessert, I'd hesitate to take a bite.

On skin, dry: I don't distinctly smell strawberry, but I think it's a strawberry undertone that I'm not enjoying.

After time: Up close the cake scent is vying for dominance, but what I can smell from a (very short) distance is mostly cherry and reminds me of Luden's cough drops. The vanilla cream is more cream than vanilla, and I don't think I care for it. If I really concentrate and exhaust my nose with the sniffing, there's a bit of strawberry. It's not real strawberries though, it's like the little scented cat that came with Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

Conclusion: The overall scent improved with time, but I'm not crazy about it and the strength/throw aren't very impressive. I'm undecided on whether I'll keep this to use or pass it along to someone else.

IN THE IMP: Some kind of really creamy, sweet dessert (almost cheesecake, but not exactly) with strawberries, and cherry cough syrup. I'm a bit worried, because I usually do not like the cherry scent...

WET: Still a really creamy dessert, with lots of butter. It's also really fruity; the cherry note isn't distinguishable anymore, thank goodness, and it just smells like red fruit. I agree with some of the others that they smell almost floral.

DRY: I don't know if anyone knows these, but the inside of one of those Godiva strawberry cheesecake truffles? This smells a lot like how that truffle filling tastes. Not an actual strawberry cheesecake, but very strawberry cheesecake-flavored, if my babbling makes any sense at all. Yummy!

In the bottle: Cheesecake (maybe graham cracker?) and cheap cherry candy. :P

5: I'm not too sure about this. It's a really cloying, sweet, sticky scent. It reminds me of thick, gooey, cherry-pie filling. Actually, those same cherries are frequently put on top of cheesecake... Hmmm.

10: Yay, morphing! :D I'm finally starting to get that strawberry ice-cream scent others mentioned.

Dry: It's getting really pretty now. A super-soft, sweet, creamy, almost breezey berry. Did any of you have that strawberry shortcake™ doll that released a cloud of strawberry-scented air when you squeezed her belly? It feels like that. And I think I love it!

This lasted a really long time, and just got prettier with time. A definite keeper!

I received my bottle of Beaver Moon 07 yesterday,

tried it today...

I loved it in the bottle, sweet and berry-ish, Cherries and Ice Cream.

But on skin - this is awful , just gross.

Its sharp, artificial, bitter and somehow ..rotten.

First minute it was pretty nice, but when it warmed up it nearly made me vomit...:D

It gave me a horror headache and the worst thing...

I couldn´t wash it off... after washing my wrist 4 times it is still there.

Amazing throw.. :P

No, 0 of 10 from me.. I am so sad, as I was looking so much forward to it.

Well - of to swap ye go, little Beaver...

I got a sniffie of this in a swap and immediately had to get myself a bottle. This smells like cherry cheesecake ice cream at first sniff. Delish!

At first on my skin it is a little too sharp-almost like a maraschino cherry smell.

DAMN. There is some kind of weird note that goes all funky and sour and yucky on me. NOOOOO :D

It takes about a half hour to fade! And when it does, the blend smells kind of dusty...kind of a dull cherry dusty smell. NO NO NO. I am sooo disappointed! I blame my stupid skin! :P Maybe I'll try this again at a different time of month. Right now, it looks like a no-go :D

Beaver Moon 2007 – I expected this to smell a lot like MB: Bloody Mary, and I was surprised that it was quite different. It reminds me of a creamsicle, but with cherry instead of orange. The cherry note is very strong in this blend, and has a definite maraschino cherry scent as opposed to a fresh-off-the-tree cherry or sugar-sweetened cherry scent. It’s blended with the vanilla cream note so gorgeously and smells positively divine. As the scent dries, the strawberry starts to peek out, which thrills me to no end, since BPAL strawberry is one of my favorite notes. Unfortunately, it’s about this time, as well, that something (the vanilla?) in the blend starts to turn a bit plastic-like and before long, the whole scent smells like Strawberry Shortcake (the plastic doll, not the dessert) and not long after that, it’s faded completely. Not my best BPAL experience, but definitely a typical “foody BPAL” experience. I imagine it would make a fun room scent, though!

Pastry Crust?

Bottle: Cherry Vanilla Icecream - Yummmmm

Wet: Pastry Crust and maybe some very faint cherry in the background - I hope it morphs and some more of the Cherry and Vanilla come out...

Dry: I don't know if this faded quickly on me or I just over smelled my wrist and now my nose doesn't work

I'll have to go 5 minutes without smelling it...

I cant stop trying to sniff my arm -

10 minutes I have to sniff real hard to smell it, does this fade that quickly?

What I can smell is sweet fruit lovely. Maybe I'll have to slather more next time.

in the bottle: cherry icecream! :D

wet on skin: cherry cake! with whipped cream! :P

dry down: wow. this *totally* changed. it's strawberry/fruit cheesecake, heavy on the graham cracker crust. there's a bit of sugar, a bit of smoky vanilla, a bit of fruit.

in all: delicious! not the teeny-bopper-sweet stuff i was fearing. glad i have a bottle!

:D

Beaver Moon 07

Preconceptions: Bought the bottle unsniffed because I figured strawberry cheesecake, what's not to love? Plus, I love the old Beaver Moon enough to marry it.

In the bottle: Sweet strawberries, almost syrupy like cough medicine.

Wet on skin: Creamy strawberries, just a little sticky. It lacks the cheesecake bite of the old Beaver Moon.

Drydown: Unfortunately the strawberry cream phase doesn't last and instead becomes dry smells synthetic to my nose. I never really can discern the cherry. The sugar note gets stronger, drier and more synthetic. I agree it smells like dry strawberry fruit loops and not in a good way :P .

Overall Impression: I so wanted this to be as wonderful as the original Beaver Moon. I thought the strawberry flavor would make it a cross between Bloody Mary and Beaver Moon but instead it just stinks like Strawberry Kwik. It was wonderful for a few seconds wet, but the drydown was just awful for me. Maybe I can try it in a scent locket, but overall I just feel really disappointed. Must be unlucky skin chemistry. Oh well, luckily with BPAL there are many other LE's to love. :D

Bottle: Creamy strawberry and cherry ice cream. So far so good.

Wet: This is gorgeous on the drydown. It's smooth, creamy fruit and just a sinfully delicious scent.

Dry: For the first few hours of the drydown, it's very similar to the wet scent, just a bit more subdued. I've had it on for about three or four hours now, and it's acquired a bit of a plastic doll scent. It's nice, just a frequent reapplier.

Throw: Average.

Overall: I'm glad I tried it but I'm happy with my few imps worth.

:P

whoa, holy cloying sweetness! I opened the envelope and nearly got knocked over by the smell. This stuff is strong, and very sweet in the bottle. I'm not scared, though!

just a dab on skin and it's already morphing! it's staying surprisingly close to the skin, which is nice--a smell this sweet makes a good skin smell.

there's definitely a pastry/doughnutty/cheesecakey/vanilla cake smell. definitely baked goods. that's what I most smell in the bottle, too.

after ten: the pastry/buttery smell chills out and the fruit starts to emerge. this is nice. =)

I'm not normally one for foody smells, but there's something sort of innocent and guileless about this one. It's a definite change from the leather and patchouli I love so much, but I like it.

unsure of wearlength or throw. :D

I'm not into gourmand blends, honestly. I might like to sniff thick, heavy cream and fresh strawberries on the air, but I don't generally want to go around smelling like them. Even if this blend stays true and lasts a long time. Oh, sure, I might swipe Beaver Moon '07 on occasionally, especially at that time of the month. Or other times if I happen to be in the mood for it.

And I have no idea why so much of my bottle is missing. :P

...I've become a closet foodie, and this blend and Monsterbait: Bloody Mary (which are very different - this is all cream and strawberries and MB:BM is all tart cherries and sugar) are to blame. Beaver Moon '07 reminds me a little bit of strawberry Starburst - in a good way.

Edited by GreenSpine

In the vial: super sweet cherries, like cherry pie filling.

On skin: this scent smells exactly like cherry cheesecake minus the crust.

Those who like sweet foody scents will adore The Beave 2007.

Wow; this is incredible; I want to dig a fork in to my arm and stab a piece of fruit flavored flesh...orgasmic!

ADDED July 15:

Orgasmic! Would like more cream/vanilla for a tone down, but the sweet berries are divine...

ADDED April 11:

This decant is totally a keeper; I love it! I think it smells as good as 2005 version; the delicious buttery cakeness is deepened with the strawberries and cherries; cherries normally make me gag but this is divine!

Wowzers I love this! It's so fun.

It's a gorgeous..Cherry and Strawberry vanilla cake on my skin. And it has a good amount of throw. I actually let my friend try it first one night when we went out. She was wafting the whole time..on the bus..in the pub. And I'm so glad I got a bottle.

The cherry is stronger than the Strawberry but as it dries it evens out slightly..then the cake part of the blend dissapers more and leaves behind a nice light fruity smell.

Gawjusssssss!!!

:P

Edited by ouch!

Yummy, yummy, yummy! This is deliciously lighthearted and super sweet. It has a gorgeous tart note that keeps is from being cloying and has a buttery note down underneath everything as well that someone else mentioned is akin to pastry crust. This is one of my favorites and instantly puts me in a happy little mood. I definitely get more cherry than strawberry--maybe even sour cherry? It smells like some kind of amazing dessert!