Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rheliwen

The Phoenix

This naval galleon was boarded and commandeered in 1713 on the order of Mad Bess Moriarty, along with a fat fleet of ships bearing precious oils, rare resins, and exotic spices. Once the vessels were secured, Mad Bess selected the finest, fittest galleon from the ships that they had acquired, and chose it to be her flagship. Her crew set to work knocking down the cabins, making the ship flush fore and aft, and painting her low sides were painted black, with one thin riband of orange. They prepared black colors, and set bloodshot, glaring occuli along the entirety of the hull. A new figurehead was carved in the shape of a flame-wreathed, screaming bird, and the ship was sanctified with wine, rum, and the blood of their enemies.

Mounted with 52 guns, and manned with the fiercest pirates to sail the Seven Seas, she was rechristened "the Phoenix".

Sea air, gunpowder, lime, salt-crusted wood, a splash of blood, and a dribble of Snake Oil.

I am surprised no one has started a review thread for this yet.

In the bottle this is heavy aquatic and ozone. It reminds me of Stardust and even Cancer a little bit. Sweet and airy.

Wet, this is very salty, like Jolly Roger salty. I can definitely smell the lime here. It is really tart and aquatic.

As it dries, I notice what I think is dragon's blood resin mixed in with the salt and lime, creating a really sweet, tart feel to the aquatic backdrop. I barely notice any gunpowder and only faint memories of Snake Oil. However, once it has settled down I think I can detect a little gunpowder reigning in the saltiness.

It is surprisingly refreshing and almost masculine. It is not nearly as salty dry as it is wet and settles into a sweet aquatic with a splash of bitter lime and pinch of spice and wood. Edited by Shollin

Ordinar'ly, the aquatic scents be much afeared, seein' as I spend most o' my time at sea. Never bring yer work home, I say, 'n at work, thar be no point. What swayed me t' try it's th' promise o' lime, gunpowder, 'n snake oil. Aye, that be a winnin' combination.

In th' bottle, The Phoenix smells o' sea air, 'n it be fair refreshin'.

When first I put it on, I thought, bugger me standin', I'm going t' have to pour it off 'n throw it o'erboard, stowin' only th' bottle in me decks. It was naught but ozone 'n salt, it was.

Thanks be to Calypso, that recedes right quickly. Th' sea air remains, o' course, but much softer, as more a backdrop. Turns out, mayhap I do like th' smell o' th' sea.

When th' ozone clears, the lime comes on deck, with a touch o' sweetness that must be th' blood. Th' gunpowder n' snake oil stay below, ne'er callin' attention to themselves, but ye know they be thar. The wood, like our fair vessel, carries her party on smooth seas. This stage, when just dry, be a right beauty.

Regre'ably, th' lime n' all else be only a clap on and they soon get carried out t' sea. Ere 2 hours've passed, we're back to naught b' the sea and the ship.

N'ertheless, this be a treasure, even t' lubbers.

Edited by naeelah

In bottle: Salty sea air and lime, with a sharp tang of something--the gunpowder, perhaps? Or the blood of their enemies?

Wet: A fresh slap of sea air and the lovely lime (no scurvy on this vessel!), the gunpowder really reveals itself and yum!

Drydown: The salty wood comes out... and ohhh... I am so loving this. It has a freshness to it, like being outside, but the scent has mass--it's not just airiness and sea spray, there's something in there that anchors it all... and lends itself to nautical imagery...

And best of all, not only do I love it but it lasts on me for hours and hours! I put on a little bit yesterday morning, it lasted all day yesterday and I can still smell it just barely today. Arr!!!

I tested this a few times after I got the bottle and decided to be ballsy and wear it full on last night. It fit rather well with work, as I wages my own wars against the tides of hood waters. :P (I clean industrial kitchens, and last night was hood night, meaning tons of water, everywhere)

Anywho, it's a largely aquatic scent to me, fresh and light. And I actually didn't mind smelling slightly of man. It gives me the impressing of raging waters and a slight bit of ship. I can't actually smell anything besides salty sea when I stick my nose to my wrist, but every now and then I get a waft of the ship and the snake oil. It's really nice, actually, I have to admit that I'm glad I got two bottles of this.

Oh. Em. Gee.

The Phoenix is so wonderful. Delightfully wonderful. Bouncing around my apartment doin' a happy dance wonderful. Why? Because whenever I crave a giant, juicy sea blast, I go for Thalassa. And it appears as though The Phoenix is Thalassa's companion-in-arms.

Upon first whiff, The Phoenix is a salty surge of limey ocean, with weathered wood that's just starting to tang with blood lurking in the background. When it hits my skin, it's POW. Salty. Lime. Even a tiny hint of body given by Snake Oil (in fact; I don't like Snake Oil. Really. But there really must only be a dribble there). It seems as though my skin doesn't allow each note to shine... but that is OK with me. The Phoenix really is a tart, masculine companion to Thalassa's perfumed sea spray of jasmine and almond. The "sea" note is just so similar. It's just as gorgeous, and I covet both IMMENSELY. Had I known this would be such a winner, I would've bought more than one bottle.

Holy crap that is some seriously salty ozone. I knew I was risking this scent but I was hoping that the blood and lime and Snake Oil would dominate more than the salt water. Unfortunately, that is not the case. It's not a bad scent at all, but aquatics really aren't my thing. I think I'll hold onto this bottle and see how it ages, but I have a feeling this will remain not for me (while aquatic lovers will really enjoy this one!)

This is softer than I expected, more feminine and gentle. The sea air is there, but as a gentle sea breeze on a lovely afternoon. It smells like a visit to a shipyard where the prettiest boats you've ever seen are docked, and the fine ladies are drinking wine on deck in colorful dresses. The men are on their best behavior. Well, it does capture the idea of a nautical wedding very well. Very sophisticated on the sea. But none of that rutting stuff I thought would dominate in a pirate blend! This is a very fine lady, and I would highly reccommend it to those who would like to experience a more genteel day at sea, and especially those of the fairer sex.

In the bottle: That’s what I call aquatic!

Wet: Lime, wet wood, hello…. LIME! A dribble of something sweet and red, and then out comes the Snake Oil. (I love me some snake oil.)

Drydown: This is another one from this Lunacy update that has be utterly surprised that my chemistry has taken to it so readily. It’s a sweet, watery mix of musk and water notes that makes The Phoenix a total romp. I love how this responds to my chemistry: it keeps morphing between wanting to settle as an aquatic, and then calling back that heady oomph that makes Snake Oil a favourite of mine.

I love the way The Phoenix smells in the bottle. :P I can smell all of the notes--the lime, the wood, the salty aquatic notes and, of course, Snake Oil. This scent is totally evocative of the ship's description and is just amazing! Bravo, Beth!

Unfortunately, my wonky chemistry messes it up. Upon first applying, the ozone and aquatic notes jump to the forefront and get screechingly, headache-inducingly loud. :D After a while, they step back a little and I can smell more of the lime and Snake Oil, but all in all The Phoenix smells quite sharp and manly on me from start to finish.

I am going to have to wear this in my Phoenix scent locket (how appropriate!) so my chemistry doesn't change its loveliness.

I had a similar experience as Scylla mentioned above. This is beautiful and interesting in the bottle, and I can smell almost all of the different notes. On my skin it's a different story.

It starts out woody and lightly aquatic, edges it salt and mildly tangy. The lime is very fresh and strong. At this stage it's perfect and very sexy. But about midway through its wear it morphs into a very clean, masculine cologne scent. It's very, very clean. Like laundry soap. At this point I don't like it at all. It stays like this for about an hour, maybe a bit longer and then it morphs again. The final stage is fantastic....I can smell the Snake Oil and it's smutty and warm and musky with a hint of salty water.

If it wasn't for that middle stage I could wear this more easily but unfortunately I just can't get past it. So I tried it in my scent locket as well and it stayed true to the initial lime/salty/wood/tangy fragrance. I wore it all day in my locket and never experienced that super clean middle stage. So at least I know I can wear it in my locket and still enjoy the beautiful notes without fear of morphing.

THE PHOENIX

Wet: In the bottle I smell mostly gunpowder, fresh sea air, and a hint of lime.

Dry: On my skin this starts out as a strong but beautiful kick of sea air. It is fresh and aquatic with a lot of that characteristic salty brine scent of the ocean. After that, there is about 10 minutes where the gunpowder is very strong. It's acrid and I can practically taste it. Just as I am about to be overwhelmed by it, the gunpowder softens up and I can again smell the salty sea air, this time with lime. At this point I get a strong and stabilizing base of wood, the zing of a red resin or musk (blood), and the barest hint of Snake Oil.

My skin seems to take this scent through many stages and by the end of it, I have been taken on a fantastic scent voyage. To me, this scent is complex, beautiful, and gender neutral. Strong throw, average wear length. The sea air sits as the strongest note, but the others all hold their own as part of this commemorative scent.

I hate aquatics. Hate 'em, and they usually hate me right back. The Phoenix would be the exception to this rule for me, and I'm not sure what to make of it because ordinarily ozone/sea scents just aren't my bag - that's what I get for being such a hardcore earth sign. :D When it's first applied, it does have a very strong salty, freshy breezy scent but on the drydown it warms up and mellows out.. It's evocative of a sunny day laying out on the wooden deck of a ship, with the smell of the sea in your nose and the wind in the sails above your head. I'd *love* this on my husband, if only I could trick him into trying it.. Got to find a way! :P

If I hadn't been sent a frimp of this from the gorgeous Tartchef I never, ever would have tried this.

I don't go for aquatics, I don't like much citrus, both Dragon's blood and Snake Oil turn into playdough-stuffed-into-a-barbie-head on me, and I haven't got a bloody clue what gunpowder smells like - matches? God knows. Gimme a gun.

But I love this. I don't know why it works, it really really shouldn't, but oh baby, it does.

Started off as quite a sweet, citrus masculine-ish cologne, and after an hour had shaped itself into a sort of... bergamot musk with slightly spiced wood around the edges.

A few hours later, the citrus has backed off a bit, but the overall blend has a real unity to it.

But the best thing is its throw: it's just the kind you want - subtle wafts that come up at unexpected times, and smell teasingly, tantalisingly, deliciously good!

I LOVE this blend!! I think it's totally gender neutral - it would smell awesome on both sexes!

It is totally aquatic - i can't say i'm a lover or a hater of aquatics - but i definately seem to be okay with them and wow, this one confirms my suspicions...i'm a pisces so it makes sense ;-)

It starts out salty, slightly limey, woody which is just delish...but there is something gentler in there, to my nose almost floral, and i believe that's the "blood" and of course, it is smooth, which i will give to the dribbling of snake oil....anyway, i love it, it's great. The throw indeed is perfect, not to perfumey (cause for some reason that kills me) and just downright lovely and sexy!

I'm very fond of aquatics and piratey things in general, so I had to have both this and Pirate Moon. They arrived today and I scrambled to test 'em out... this is just a review of my first quick test, so I may have to edit later, but for the moment: for me this comes down smack in the middle of Jolly Roger and Thalassa. It's pretty much a perfect seaside aquatic- it's clear and light, like breeze off the water. It's gorgeous, especially for anyone who loves aquatic/beachy scents. Pretty much none of the subtleties show here for me- there might be a slight soft creaminess from the Snake Oil, maybe a very faint hint of lime, but definitely no strong, smoky gunpowder or sharp blood. Which is almost a shame; I think those, or a stronger influence of lime, might've helped this one stand out for me a bit more, but as it is, I suspect I'll be more likely to reach for Jolly Roger when I'm in the mood for a piratey aquatic. Still, this is very nice, and I'll definitely be holding onto it for now.

This is a lovely, lovely aquatic lime on me. I'm not catching any of the other notes at all except maybe that wee dram o' Snake Oil, but what I am smelling really makes me want to climb up some riggings with a knife in my teeth. :P

Divine.

On my skin, this is a very pure aquatic, which I would usually tell myself I don't like, but this is so, so stunning.

If you've ever been sailing on the ocean very, very early in the morning before the wind even has a chance to make waves, when the sky is still a little dark and it feels like the whole world is peaceful and naturally silent, this smells the way that feels. For someone currently landlocked away from the sea, it's a gorgeous reminder of home and actually makes me feel a little teary eyed. :D :D :)

:P

Wow....that is definitely a sharp blast of sea spray, and very little else! Over time, something sweet and powdery starts to rise up out of the blend. Mostly though, it's a salty sea-spray/sea air scent, very potent and nearly soapy but not quite soapy. It strikes me that if there is ozone in this, Beth is getting more and more skillful at using that note, because this blend doesn't shout "Ozone!!" to me. But it's definitely the smell of standing at the bow of a ship, crashing through a big wave, feeling the bracing spray hit your face. That powdery note that starts to come through......I think that could be partly the Snake Oil, which sometimes does have a slightly powdery element when I wear it. Otherwise, I really can't tell notes apart in this. I'm definitely going to keep it around and will enjoy letting it age, I bet it calms down a lot and maybe the other notes will come out a bit more.

straight sniff from the bottle is lime and salty ocean spray :P

once applied this gets a touch tangy and rounds this out nicely~here

comes a touch of some smokiness...

while i can never quite put my finger on the snake oil this still is quite the beauty

and another perfectly piratey blend!!

What I guess is 'sea air' strikes me as a general, cologne-like aquatic scent. The sea air dominates The Phoenix, and unfortunately, I don't like aquatics. I did detect a bit of gunpowder and earthy sweetness that were pleasant, but overall, this blend is too masculine for me to wear.

But I will say, if I had a pirate emoticon, I'd insert it here. As a concept, this a fantastic oil.

the phoenix is simply divine. i smell like the sexiest wench ever to sail the seven seas. it's salty and fresh but the blood (is that dragon's blood resin? 'cuz if so, mmmm) and snake oil lend a smoother, rounded quality to it. i love this dearly- and to think i almost skipped over it! leave it to me to declare a limited run forum only scent as my One True BPAL Love.

This is one of the few aquatic scents that I love and plan on wearing (the others being Jolly Roger, Isle of the Dead and Caliban). It is mostly sea spray on my skin with a bit of lime at first- very light and refreshing. It really smells like being out in the open sea. As it dries a hint of dragon's blood comes out, giving the blend some depth. I barely detect the Snake Oil, perhaps it is hiding beneath the dragon's blood- sometimes I think I can smell it but I never quite find it... I think this is the blend that smells most like the ocean out of all the ones I have tried, and I am very glad to have gotten a few bottles.

Lovely!! :P

This definitely reminds me of the sea and of ships, but I'm not sure it's a pirate ship that I'm getting. It's such a refined, well-blended scent that I feel like I should be strolling the promenade deck of the Olympic or Titanic, with salt air blowing a hint of the wood of the deck and a waft of my companion's cologne to my nose. The gunpowder gives a hint of the fires powering the ship. I love it, so much more than I can even put into words.

You'll have to pry this scent out of my cold dead hands! And I have this incredible urge to find one of my friends and slather him in it then curl up next to him. This is definitely a comforting scent and one I will cherish for as long as it lasts.

The Phoenix is awesome, salty lime, an earthiness, cool breezes to tickle your nose. I can smell the hint of Snake Oil in it as it dries down. It becomes a very soft scent, it reminds me a bit of Singing Moon.

Anyone been on Disney's Soarin' ride? I just realized that The Phoenix smells like the ride to me, the forest, the snowy mountain, the ocean, the citrus scent of the orange grove? All here.

Love this one. I'm so glad I took a chance on another aquatic. They have been becoming wins on me. I think my nose has finally grown to appreciate aquatics.