Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A lazy, warm deep green scent with a thick aquatic undertone: Spanish moss, evergreen and cypress with watery blue-green notes and an eddy of hothouse flowers and swamp blooms.

how very odd. i think the bpal oils and my chemistry either love each other or hate each other. in bayou's case. i think they are taking another trip down memory lane together. in any case, this one's a keeper.

in the bottle-daughter hates it. too strong. there is a sharp smell that made me hesitate but the overall scent was good. i tried it. i can't pick out any one particular scent and i get no green smells at all.

wet- it's very strong and floral. like an old time perfume. reminds me of dressing tables covered in lace with beautiful glass bottles and jars.

dry- all soft, floral and powdery. it's actually a very comforting scent. like hiding out in grandma's room and playing dress-up.

I think I put too much of this one on. It's heavy, cloying, sweet floral. The floral scent is easily detectable in the air. I can smell some greenery by sniffing my wrist. I like florals, but this is too heavy for me. It's very perfumey & it's starting to give me a headache.

In the bottle: Oh, wow! It really is a sort of an aquamarine color. It's quite floral, damp, and very strong.

Wearing: Strong indeed! I put on four swipes and, while I love the scent, I was tempted to wash some of it off. It's quite aquatic now, which seems to be taking center stage here. The moss deepens it and keeps it from being air freshener, though, as usually goes aquatic scents on me. Finally, aquatics that don't smell clean! I'm very much liking this.

Later: And then comes the mandatory powderiness of the moss. Darn. Oh well, I like too much to not put up with that part.

Overall: This smells sort of like a combination of New Orleans and The Apothecary, plus the aquatic notes, of course. While it does smell just a bit generic, it's still quite unique, and definitely a keeper.

In the bottle:

Sharp, salty aquatic (similar to Jolly Roger). This is a pretty watery green color scent.

Wet:

Very strong and bright! The aquatics are definitely the most prominent scents. Underneath them I can faintly smell the moss. As it begins to dry all the bright, watery blooms start to pop. They are the same strong, cloying kinds of flowers that are in midnight.

Dry:

The wrist I applied Bayou on smells like soap, and the other wrist that just got the rub still smells bright anf cheery...strange. After about an hour, they have both turned to soap. The moss has dissappeared and I never was able to detect the evergreen or cypress unfortunately. I think they both got swallowed up in the aquatics.

Overall:

If you like a slightly soapy floral blend with plenty of aquatic behind it, then this will be beautiful for you. It's kind of like Desdemona and Sea of Glass put together.

In the bottle- Gasp! Smells like old lady perfume. I can pick up the green scents, but it reminds me of rotted flowers.

On me- Someone said something about it strongly working for a few minutes, then dying down. That's what mine did. It smelled great on me for awhile, the moss and aquatic tones really came out... but after awhile it turned back into old lady perfume! It has great hints of the moss, green swamp, and aquatic scents, but something about it gives me this old lady vibe.

I'll be selling or swapping it.

In the Bottle Sweet florals, warmth, water, hazy greeness.

Wet Lovely. I can almost taste it. I can't even describe it. It's just so pretty. Soemone else mentioned it smelling like the colour aqua marine...... they are sooooo right.

Drydown Slightly sweeter, but not too sweet. It wafts beautifully. Innoscence and beauty....... really nice for summer...... It's a younger, more carefree version of Blue Moon....... simpler

Two Hours Later Still very pretty, but lacks that wow factor...... it smells great though.....

Verdict I really liked it, but it was just too simple and sweet for me.

I tried Bayou a few months ago when I began to seriously get into BPAL and thought at the time it was too floral and too sweet. I just got to try some again and now that I've had some time to develop my sniffing ability and really learn more about some of the notes the lab uses, I think I appreciate it more. Ultimately though it's too perfumey and floral for my tastes.

The aquatic aspect of Bayou it its most appealing characteristic -- describing this as blue-green couldn't be more accurate! It actually reminds me of some of the hothouses in Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania -- you go into these vast glass buildings full of humid, exotic flowers and foliage, and the scent of warmth and water and flowers are intoxicating. As a perfume, on me, it becomes an old lady smell though. But I prefer it to many other florals because of that aquatic note and the whisper of moss and shadow.

As for a wet, mossy smell I prefer Ulalume, but even that is too floral for me. I'd like to get more moss and evergreen out of this (being a big fan of Burial, Loup Garou and some other green scents like that) but the humid, sticky flowers really dominate. I might consider wearing this outdoors on a warm day that I am going to be in the shade. I'm glad I got to try it again now that I've been wrist-sniffing for awhile!

First sniff from the bottle- Oakmoss. This smells like a popular men's cologne but I can't put my finger on what it is.

After 10 minutes- The moss jumps out at me first, but now the aquatic notes are coming through. Aquatic = dryer sheets to me so naturally this smells like mossy dryer sheets :P

After 30 minutes- I am not sure what else is in this but it sort of has that olive juice smell to it that I picked up in Jolly Rodger. Bayou is like the masculine version of Sea of Glass.

Summery- Bayou is way too masculine and aquatic for my taste.

In The Imp: Really enjoy how "wet" it smells. A little musky, a little heady, but still very cool and watery.

Wet On Skin: The floral notes come out in my skin. Not a very feminine floral, it's mixed with that same musky wetness, but gender neutral and pleasant. If I take a deep breath of it, I can almost smell a little of the evergreen. I think it really lives up to what it claims, deep green with water undertones.

Dried: Once it started drying, it became VERY strong-- reminded me of patchouli and evergreen soap and it did NOT like my body chem.

Overall Opinion: I'm a little upset about this. But it's so overwhelmingly...I don't wanna say disinfectant, but that was the first word that popped into my brain. On me, it's a little like something you might use to wash the floors with. Definitely for the swaps.

Ugh. Moss hates me.

Bayou smelled to me nothing more than rotting vegetation and hot, stagnant water. And it's so strong that within 5 minutes of putting it on, I was overcome with the urge to go scrub my skin till all the rotting composty smell went bye-bye. [so I did.]

Thus ends the Song Of The Bayou.

While wet, I’m picking up on a variety of aquatic-type notes with maybe just a hint of floral behind them.

On my wrist, the florals pop out. But they’re combined with something almost minty (like fresh mint leaves, not the gum variety). I guess that could be the moss.

After warming, a kind of lemon scent is coming out which resembles the smell of sour SweetTarts to me. I guess I should take this as a sign that aquatics aren’t my thing.

It’s a highly inventive blend, but absolutely non-wearable on my skin.

this is aquatic and warm and heavily floral. like walking through a flower garden on a really hot day. it's also really strong. too overpowering and too floral for me.

Sultry, very floral and aquatic, with just a bit of lemon to sharpen it out around the edges. I haven't worn this all day yet, because it's very much a "summer" scent to my nose, but I've dabbed it on a couple of times and love it. It doesn't smell quite as decaying as I think it should, but that's probably not a bad thing since it's supposed to be perfume and not an actual bayou...

I've been very nostalgic for the south lately, and this makes me feel a little less wistful.

I was really surprised to read other reviews of this scent, as I can't smell anything masculine about it. Granted, it's not a super girly-girly scent, but it makes me feel very feminine when I wear it.

It has really great staying power on me, and it's perfect for warmer weather or when I want something that just feels fresh. I also made up a shower gel in this scent, and it's heaven. It's all green moss and white flowers...one of my absolute favorites.

Bayou

In the bottle

Floral and woodsy green

On

Smells similar to Spezaasspony, Ice Queen, Storm Moon, etc. as far as "watery" and the "evergreen" blends but this introduces a rich creamy note coupled with a nice slightly sweet floral.

30 minutes

Turns into a woodsy green with a creamy floral background.

Throw:

Light/Medium

Scent category:

Floral/Wintergreen

Summary

This is a medium strong blend. No where in the ingredients list is there anything about this lushious little creamy note running around that I am smelling in here. It's very tiny, and all the more reason my nose chases it around trying to find it.

Ingenious.

Maybe it's one of the florals. At any rate the only thing keeping me from assisgning it the label of "watery pine" and being done with it is this extra something that Beth has mixed in here. It's good, but still not quite by bag.

It lasts on the skin a better then average amount.

Purchase again?

No.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

In the bottle, and when first applied Bayou is very floral. As it dries down the aquatic notes really come out. It ends up smelling very watery and flowery and just a touch mossy. I didn't get any evergreen or cypress, which was a bit of a disapointment since I would have loved that, but it's such a beautiful blend that I love to wear it.

In Bottle: Very aquatic.

On Skin: MMM… the moss is strongest along with the watery blue-green notes. This smells like a very clean swamp, like if you were to bathe in the swamp but you used a strong smelling soap while doing so. Most aquatic soapy scents I like better on men, this one is a bit floral though but lightly. I’m not smelling any pine from the evergreen yet. For fans of aquatic scents, this is a must.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Aquatic.

In the imp/bottle: Dark, green floral. Very unique, and quite intriguing!

On skin, wet: The dominant notes are most certainly Spanish moss, as well as cypress. I do catch something floral, though, and it's actually very nice.

On skin, dry: This stays very strong, and doesn't change much from its wet stage, save that the florals become more prominant, as does something dark and aquatic. Of course, the moss and cypress never goes away.

Conclusion: If one were to cross a hunting shop and a floral shop, I think this might be close the way the result would smell! Very interesting, but not how I would like to smell on a regular basis.

Edited by Aredhel

Sexy and deep. It's mysterious, and almost a little meanacing. You know she's no good, that you'll be lucky to escape... but you can't help but follow her....

Wearing, I feel quietly wicked and very sexual... a keeper!

This is a very wet floral, but it is unlike any wet floral that I've ever smelled before (in a perfume bottle at least, in reality it reminds me of some of the areas I've gone camping in). The wetness reminds me of still muddy waters, covered with a vivid green layer of swampy plantlife. Then the florals are rich tropical blooms, bursting and dripping with the heat and humidity. Very swampy. Somehow it is a sexy swamp though. Bayou was one of my very first BPAL imps and it was one of the oils that was so unique and lovely that it made me want to try more from BPAL. It is wonderful and unlike any fragrance that I have ever tried. Swamp in a bottle - but in a great way :P.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I don't believe I've ever been to the bayou, but if I were to go, I believe it would smell just like this. It brings to mind big old plantation houses and swampy marshland with Spanish moss hanging from the trees.

Very lazy and floral. It's very thick. Smells of swampy summertime. It almost bottled that thick humidity felt in summer..in the south. Very nice. Now all I need is a bottled Mint Julep and I'll be good to go... :P

In the bottle: Florals, moss, and something tart. Like lotus mixed with lemon.

First on: It's almost going soapy on me, but not quite. I don't know why, but I was just reminded of the rainforest in Belize where I stayed for a week. It's definitely mostly moss & cypress, with flowers in the background, but I'm still getting an almost citrus scent as well.

Drydown: The flowers come out more, which is a shame for me since I wanted a mossy scent. It's still nice, but I think it's also stuffing my nose up.

Immediately I get this heated, sweaty tone as if I'm smelling someone's body odor :P Thankfully, this fades within half a minute and the heavy soapy greens. This might work as a room scent, but not on my skin, unfortunately =(

A lovely, sweet, humid floral. There's something damp and warm about the floral, this is definitely a summer scent for me. After a few hours, it fades to an almost creamy powdery smell on me. It's very soft, but nice.