Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

Dirt notes usually amp like crazy on my skin, so I was expecting to get nothing but "cemetery loam" out of this scent. Strangely enough, juniper seems to be the most dominant. It does smell earthy and like a forest. The juniper's a little too strong for me personally, but I like this scent a lot better than most of the dirt scents. Edited by quantum spice

I love this one. Morphs nicely on my skin but fades quickly. Unfortunately, I can't try it in my scent locket since I used up what was left of my imp to make a soy wax tart. This was almost a full imp and the tart is very subtle - but gorgeous. I will use at least an imp if I make another tart (I used soy wax tarts from Country Light Candle online which are larger than the cheap ones I got from Michael's). I may try my Lampe Berger instead, though.

This is a fantastic room scent & was the same as the final morphed scent on my skin. My kids loved it, too. If I ever get around to buying big bottles, I will buy one of these.

Edited by gailprentice

Burial

I'm divided on this one. On the one hand, it really lived up to its name, but on the other hand it has left me disappointed.

I wore it all day yesterday and it stuck real well, so it has good staying power. It conjured up so many images, though. I was really hoping for the wet moist dirt/gardening imagery since right now due to my pregnancy (I'm 8 months) I can't do the spring gardening I enjoy so much. However, it did smell like dirt, only much drier than I had expected. It was soothing and I did like the scent. It reminded me of playing in the dirt as a child, when it was really dry and more like sand rather than moist fertelized dirt. I was also disappointed that I couldn't detect anything all that organic in it. I expected an herb or floral to jump out at me as well, but got nothing but plain, dry dirt, which means it really delivers.

I like this enough not to swap it and keep it around, but I don't intend to order any more of it. It also had a sort of playdough smell to it, which is odd, but should be reported. : P

My hubby said that he smelled a sour note in it that seemed to really stick out for him that didn't seem to blend well with the whole scent. I didn't experience this, but that was the hubby's impression.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it also had a smell that would randomly come out on me that smelled like the aftermath of something that had just been burned. Not in an abrasive way, more like in a clean way which is incredibly ironic, but just had to mention that smell, too.

Edited by KassiK

In vial: earth and roots, like a plant being repotted. Much like Danse Macabre, but sharper, with more vegetal notes.

Wet: Same, rooty earth.

Drydown: More earth and roots. I can practically see the maggots squirming in this. The florals never appeared at all. It's interesting, different, but I'll stick to Jazz Funeral for my earthy scents.

Initial Impressions: Pine & Old Spice

Wet: More of the pine, which I guess is the juniper. Lost the Old Spice overtones.

Dry: Very much juniper. Can't make out any of the other scents.

I don't think I like this. It doesn't remind me of forests or dirt. Loam is much drier, and fresher than this scent. I've only smelled New England forests, and they have a very different scent, more woodsy, drier, crisper. I'm thinking this is what southern forests smell like, or maybe New Orleans swamps. It smells wet and dank.

Initially, Burial is strongly juniper with a touch of sweetness. As it wears after it’s dry, the patchouli comes out and adds to the juniper. Sniffing my wrist from a distance there’s the faint scent of powdery flowers mixing with the patchouli and juniper. The loam seems to be absent. Maybe the powder is better attributed to the patchouli rather than the flowers but the powder is there nonetheless. This scent really sticks!

This scent is very calming and soothing.

Imp: PATCHOULI

Wet: Dirt and patchouli

Dry: Dirt and patchouli. I like this. I hated the dirt in Zombi, but I think that was because of the "death and decay" note which was in there as well. I like this though, I think, mainly because of the patchouli, which cuts the dirt and makes it more gritty or something. Very grounding. Soft and warm... any florals in here are very faint. Don't really miss them. :P

Edited by Browneyes

Burial is very earthy and floral with a hint of Embalming Fluid. I smell lily and something else for the floral. The earth note is...well, earthy. It's not quite petrichor, but there is something very forest/dirt/pine bark. It's not musty or dank though.

The patchouli is very spicy and fully develops after about two hours. It adds a depth to Burial. It overpowers the Embalming Fluid note which makes the crisp quality evaporate completely. I know the juniper is in there, but I can't quite make it out.

Burial is a strong perfume with staying power. I highly recommend it for lovers of foresty scents.

In the Imp (wet): I get a distinctive nutty flavour in this. Patchouli is definitely there and juniper is really strong.

On facial cotton (dry): Urgh, it smells like antiseptic. Not surprising since patchouli oil is known for its fungicidal properties. The wood notes are an undercurrent.

On me: The antiseptic scent is strong on the first whiff, before the woods come out. Juniper all the way too. It's really warm, but definitely not for me.

ADDED 5/27/08:

In the Imp (wet): I get a distinctive nutty flavour in this. Patchouli is definitely there and I unfortunately mentally associate it with medicinal properties from studying herbs.

On facial cotton (dry): Urgh, it seems like antiseptic. Not surprising since patchouli oil is known for its fungicidal properties. The wood notes are an undercurrent.

On me: Definately not for me. The antiseptic scent is strong on the first whiff, before the woods come out... but it's pine and I'm not much of a pine fan.

wow, this scent hits fast and it hits hard! i'm immediately slapped with a definite antiseptic/evergreen note layered with juniper, but almost just as quickly, it settles down a bit. however, I still get the "cleanser" aspect i usually do with tree scents. i was hoping for more dirt...the patchouli just doesn't come to the top as i'd hoped.

eta: patchouli creeps out. maybe a little too masculine for me.

Wow. This is overwhelmingly cedar on me, and it stays much that way through drydown. I do get a slight twitter of drying flowers in there as well.

I really don't like the punch the cedar packs, so this one is off to swaps. BUT, Beth's concept is not lost on me.

When I put this on and thought of the name, I immediately went back to the place where my great grandparents were burried. It's a large cemetary, out in the middle of nowhere. Peaceful, not hurried, or necessarily sad. The air is fresh, and the trees established. I thought of the huge cedar trees, freshly pruned. A spicy, dirt scent- the ground being newly dug up. The earthy smell of the tree roots that were disturbed in the process. I'm remembering the large sprays of flowers, their smell drifting past my nose on the slight breeze. Even the flowers carved into the casket. Hadn't thought about all that in awhile. This scent made me feel right there, all over again.

The first impression is of alcohol, the same kick on the nose that sniffing alcohol would give. Then it smells of Vicks Vaporub. Medicinal, slightly minty. There's no dirt, flowers, or patchouli. Nevertheless, it's not as bad as other cypress/cedar/ juniper blends so I might keeep it as it does smell refreshing.

In the imp, and wet: Hmm, strongly juniper. Maybe this wasn't such a hot idea.

Drydown: The juniper recedes, and the patchouli takes its place -- and that dirt note comes out, with the sour, fresh rose very, very faintly in the background. Something in this mix reminds me strongly, strongly, of my late grandmother's basement -- that mustiness and sense of mystery; for years, the basement contained artifacts of my grandfather, who died when I was 8, before I could get to know him well. So this is scent-evocative for me in a specific way that might not be the case for others.

Regardless, this imp is a keeper. I don't think I'd wear it as a perfume necessarily, but as an aide-memoire for writing, absolutely.

I love this one in the bottle. When I first put it on my skin, I can smell mostly a wet floral sent and a hint of dirt. Once it dries, it's all dirt on me. :D I do love it as a room scent. :P

ADDED 12/12/08:

I love this in the bottle. It's like an old over-grown garden after a storm. Once it dries on my skin it's just dirt. I absolutly love it as a room scent...it just doesn't like my skin.

Wet on my skin, Burial smells like a bit of dirt and a lot of Lemon Pledge. Dry, the Lemon Pledge seems to have calmed down a lot -- the two scents are blending together. It's pleasant enough now, but not really me. I'll try this scent again sometime to see if the Lemon Pledge is still there. If it is, I'll have to bid Burial goodbye.

Wow. This was intense and wonderful. Deep earth covered in pine needles. Very rich piney earth. It's got a lot of lasting power. It smells like the heart of a dark forest. I do like it very much.

Got a frimp of this today (thanks clover!) and have already swapped it away :P I can tell from the note description that it's just not my thing, but I've put a dab on the back of my hand so I can write up a review.

In the imp: dark, very medicinal, green scent.

Wet on me: This is reminding me of pine-scented floor cleaners -- what I *thought* Slobbering Pine was going to do but didn't.

Dry on me: Patchouli comes out very strongly now. It's now back to a green Chinese-medicine scent rather than a floor cleaner scent, a plus IMO.

In the end patchouli and other foresty notes seem to settle into each other and the final result isn't too bad. I don't get any flowers in this, and the earth note plays nicely. Not my thing, but I can see how it would appeal to some. Hope my swappee enjoys it :D

I was a bit disappointed in this scent. It didn't have much staying power for me. That is not too unusual - most scents do not linger on me for some reason. I liked the scent at first, it smelled sort of woodsy. As time passed, the scent became powdery and sort of old lady-ish. Then it faded away. I was hoping to like this as I liked the earthy fresh-turned soil sound of this. It just did not work for me. Oh well. Try, try again!

not bad, smells pretty nice once it's dried on my skin, but doesn't say "earth" to me. smells like plants/florals/etc, but doesn't smell like soil to/on me.

also faded after a while, and the Hellcat that i had put on hours before and scrubbed off before putting on Burial lingered on my skin. my chemistry seems to like Hellcat

probably going to use the imp of Burial, maybe buy another imp when this one dies, or swap the imp for something on my list of things to try, but no 5/10mL for me

Mmmmn, dirrrrrt! Dirt and a slight spice, are those the embalming herbs? I’m loving these dirt scents! The scent gets stronger on warm skin. It’s a bit like Icon, only mixed with dirt. :-)

Burial reminds me very much like an autumn day, all woody/earthy with a sort of decaying smell to it. I find it very hard to love the earthy scents, and this one isn't one of those. It's just going real foul on my arm. :P

Burial

I had my husband try this last night. My first impression, smelling it wet out of the vial, is: wow, this is sharp. It almost reminds me of rubbing alcohol. Smelling deeper, I can detect tree. As it wore on him, I couldn't help but think of Pine Sol. I was also reminded of either flea spray or flea bath that my mother used to use. I can picture the cats now, roughed up and greasy looking, smelling dreadful. Any time I came near him, I couldn't stop thinking about Pine Sol and that flea remedy.

But, I didn't want to do a review without me actually trying it first. There's always the chance that it might react differently on me. But, so far, it's smelling the same on me as it did on him. Sharp, with a rubbing alcohol quality. Now, here's the Pine Sol, and here, too, the flea remedy.

My husband started off liking this scent. He thought it was refreshing and different. He could see the Pine Sol reference, but did not relate to the other. He liked it's first stage, but then he said, as it mellows, it just smells "cheap" to him.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

1 : I wonder if I don't like Juniper, or if it's the mixture of notes. Regardless, this definitely isn't for me. I don't even like the smell of Pine Sol for cleaning purposes.

IN THE IMP: As janelle_hell said, it smells like DIRT. Clean, fresh, loosely crumbled dirt. A gardener’s dream scent – just what I wanted.

ON MY SKIN: There’s still the distinct, definite “dirt!” smell about it, but other odd things keep coming in and out. After about 15 minutes, the odd things settle into an intense, unpleasant sour smell, with a kind of rubbery tang. Uh?

LATER: Sour and musty. Sigh.

I just got this imp in the mail today, and out of eight I chose it is my very favorite one - hands down!! When I got it I thought it would probably smell really creepy and patchouli/woodsy (which is not really my thing), but I unexpectedly fell completely in love with this one and stumbled upon the perfect scent. To me, this is utter perfection! I. Cannot. Stop. Sniffing. Myself.

In the bottle I smell dominant earthy scents, but am pleasantly surprised to discover the sweet scents are stronger and much much richer and yummier than I had anticipated.

On my skin the earthiness fades to the background and warms up the juniper and florals that take center stage...The florals and juniper are tempered by the earth tones and meld into a honeyed ambrosia with green scent - like a beautiful enchanted forest. This scent actually makes me feel like there are all of these delicious full blooming flowers but I am in a dark still place where I can smell them off in the distance. It makes me feel totally peaceful and relaxed, in a very dark way (which I rather like)...........My eyes literally rolled back in my head when I smelled this on my skin, and it must be so incredibly complimentary with my body chemistry because my boyfriend's eyes rolled back in his head in ecstacy when he smelled it on me too! He said it smelled delicious and sexy...but with something sinister in there, too. It has crazy lasting power on my skin, too.

I never knew a burial could smell this sexy, but if this is what it's really like to be buried then I am all for it! I cannot gush enough about this one. I think Burial is heady, luscious, haunting, gothic heaven. This will be my first big bottle purchase! Love it.