Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

In the imp: Something very green and medicinal, layered on top of dirt. Like Vicks Vapo Rub smeared on a tombstone. I get the Zombi fragrance, hanging in the background. But the Vicks smell (which I am beginning to identify as juniper) is in the forefront at the moment.

On the wrist, wet: Juniper, with a hint of earth. Something in this reminds me of brimstone at this stage. I get the same chemical burning smell.

On the wrist, dry: Pretty much the same as wet, but softer. Definitely very juniper.

Final Analysis: Not for me. Off to the swaps.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by quantum spice

In the bottle: Juniper.

On me: Juniper. A bit of rose creeps out from under the crush of juniper... to make pickling spices? No, no, that's patchouli. Very pungent. The juniper smell dissipates somewhat, leaving the rose more prominent as the blend fades. A very genuine, not at all perfumey or synthetic scent.

In the vial: Wet woody dirt

Wet on the skin: I'm getting wet dirt with roses, wood and pine. Its not bad actually. I was afraid I wasn't going to like this much but I do like it.

On drydown: Its all pine and dried roses with an herby background. The wet dirt scent takes a backseat but is still there, even if its just slightly. I like this but I am not sure I am keeping this.

In the reviews, the word "pine" is mentioned often and I'm sure hoping that it's just a mix-up with the Juniper note. =/ Because I'd love a deep earth scent to work with again.

In the vial - Pepsi, which if I remember is how my nose does civet, and must and mold... and patchouli. I can feel my allergies flairing even as I sniff...

Wet - Take Pepsi and get rid of the sugar. That's my wrist. :P

Drying - The cola scent is the throw, but closer to my wrist I get the mustiness back. It doesn't have that same "unwashed" scent that it did in the bottle, but it's certainly not the pleasent earthy scent that King of Clubs and Graveyard Dirt have on me.

Dry (20 minutes) - Wow, I smell like musty, moldy GIN. Okay, the gin is just the slight hint of juniper, but it sounds funny. :D There's pine in there, too, plenty of pine.

Overall - This just smelt dirty on me and not in the good way. I'll have to pass.

this smells sexy on my husband -- a mixture of earthy patchouli, and dirt. it's a bit too strong on me. my skin amps up the juniper. and while i adore juniper in scents like Black Forest, it turns sour here when combined with the floral and dirt notes. if i just tab on the tiniest bit, it's ok, but there's really no reason to waste it on me when it smells so good on my dude.

a gift from a most generous forumite (thank you!) :P

I sniffed the imp a number of times and put it down and wore something else. This morning I thought, okay, let's really try it out.

Wet, it smells mostly of earth with a cold floral overlay: reminds me of the inside of a small florist shop I know, where there are potted plants and lovely orchids and chilled roses and strange artifacts in the corners.

At this stage I am "well, okay, interesting".

And then there is a surprising moment of what my nose registers as lemon/herb (I have an easily confused nose).

This is really complex. There are roses for certain (some of the nicest roses I've encountered in Beth's fragrances).

It settles into a very interesting mix of what my nose thinks are woods and roses. I think it may be the juniper that my nose read as lemon: something sharp, bitter. It is still beneath the flowers.

I am not sure what I think of this scent: it is complicated and rather intellectual--I find I am pondering it, wondering about it. Definitely can get the earth/wood/sprays of lovely roses picture here. But do I like it? It is very odd for me not to know: usually I am "yes!" or "good heavens, this isn't for me".

This scent is a question.

Burial initially smells a lot like Undertow's tougher cousin. They share something huge in common with the juniper, but where my beloved Undertow is sweeter and minty-er, Buriel isn't even going to soften up for you. What's strange, though is that the patchouli and the juniper are so busy vying for smell time that I can't smell anything resembling loam. Until, that is, I back away from it and then give it a quick whiff and I can catch just a fleeting trace of good ol' dirt. Burial is a sharp scent, but not necessarily an unpleasant one at all, though it does have a passing pickle juice phase that's a bit unnerving!

Burial-

In Bottle: I smell no dirt. I smell tea tree oil and smoke.

Wet: Tea tree oil and smoke.

Dry: This turns to cedar on me. Cedar and I aren't really in love. Maybe it's Burial because it's the smell of a cedar coffin? But I never got any dirt off it, none. And I got tons of dirt off Penny Dreadful, Zombi, and Premature Burial (the last is one of my very favorites).

Overall: Not for me.

In the Imp: Woods, evergreens, and something medicinal

Wet: Sharp evergreen. I think that is Juniper. It's almost an effervesecent smell. Still a little medicinal. I'm intrigued.

Dry: Now I'm getting a very nice evergreen smell. I personally do not want to smell just like an evergreen, but I will be keeping this imp to use as a home fragrance. It is very nice.

Scent: Burial

Bottle: Woah. Evergreen trees and dirt. Heavy. Maybe cedar... It's not a Christmas tree evergreen, but a deep forest evergreen. It strongly reminds me of hiking up Old Rag.

Wet: Cedar, juniper, hemlock... Deep, deep, dark green. And thick patchouli dirt hiding under the tree...

After a While: Still very strongly juniper at 11:50 AM (I always tend to put on about 9:30-9:45). The...what's the word...throw?...isn't as strong. It's not stomping around behind me anymore, but staying sedately on my left wrist where it belongs. But it hasn't burned off to pure patchouli yet, like most patchouli-ish scents tend to do on me.

Before It's Dead: I don't think I've done a Not Dead Yet so long after application since that first tiny bit of Misk. U. that Beth let me wear. I still smell evergreen, and I think the patchouli drifted off before the juniper. It's fairly faint now, though.

Wet: Sharp and campherous with an undercurrent of pachouli and evergreen, tingles like camphor on the skin

Drydown: getting softer, more cedery but with a very long throw. I can smell this one all the way into my chest.

Totally wrong as a perfume on me but maybe good for a room scent, very homey and pleasant.

In the bottle, I pick up juniper, pine and patchouli. The scent reminds me so much of fresh upturned dirt. The kind of dirt you would do gardening in, definitely not the kind of dirt we have here in the desert. I can easily imagine myself kneeling down in the dirt, inhaling its' fragrant scent while planting flowers and seeds.

Wet on my skin, the patchouli still stands out along with the juniper. The fragrance still has a scent of fresh upturned dirt, the combination of the oils are beautiful, and I am completely enamoured. I have found that going through the Dark Element scents I have neglected some very wonderful scents. So far of the three that I have tried that have been complete hits for me. The oil has dried and the scent has tamed a bit and the patchouli seems to have disappeared, but the scent still smells good. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give this one a 4.

hm i figured i might hate this one, but it's better than i thought! i'm not sure i'd wear it much though. it starts off as a manly dirt smell, and then it calms down a bit. i definitely smell the patchouli with a hint of juniper. it's a very dark scent. i think i smell a hint of cedar, which can often turn on me, but it's not so far. not sure if i'll keep this one or not, just because it's not very 'me'.

Eucalyptus and dry dirt. This is a very dry, unsweet scent. I don't smell any Juniper. However, it's very realistic, yet inoffensive. I like this one. It layers nicely with Absinthe, btw, which gives it just a touch of sweetness. The lasting power and throw are both pretty good too.

There are evergreens in this. Evergreens that actually stay green on me and don't disappear or get all gunky.

And the rose is just right and not attacking me with ROSE. The dirt is just barely there -- just enough to ground it and give it depth.

I'm not sure I'm in love, but I'm *very* happy with it so far.

In the vial: Dirt and fizzy coke. But not Coca-Cola. Some imposter company's fizzy cola. The dirt is old and dead but moist.

On my skin: Mint, morning graveyard mold. Something sick and rotten.

Later: This still smells rotten. It's disturbing. Essense of corpse. Disgusting but fascinating.

This review is a bit late in coming so these are remembered impressions. I was able to test it as part of the Entire GC Circular Swap. I couldn't imagine loving the scent of rich earth but Burial is both accurate and lovely. It has a rich, herbal quality that evokes the rich virgin earth of a forest floor. The herbs and a breath of floral make this a very wearable scent where a pure dirt may not. I had a VERY hard time passing this imp on to the next person. It is definitely going on my list for future purchases.

Burial:

in the vial: lemon, pine, Vicks

on the skin: i still smell the sharp citrus and pine, with the effevescence of juniper, but there is something darker, dirtier. This might be patchouli. You can almost smell the damp earth of a conifer forest making its way through. It smells like early spring before the final thaw and the first flowers are starting to poke through the moist cold ground.

This mellows down to a sweet earthy smell after a while and thankfully the sharp overwhelming menthol smell is gone.

give this one a chance to grow on you.

I'm wearing this scent today - it was a free imp from Tess with a recent swap.

I see this frequently described here as "piney dirt." Well, I get the pine/juniper note, all right. "You smell like you've been..." my husband began, when I first put this on, and I hoped he would say something like, "working in the garden," but instead he finished it with "working with PineSol." Yeah. It does kind of give that vibe.

I definitely don't get the patchouli in this one, thank goodness. Maybe a little vetiver? Maybe that's the earthiness? It does have kind of a smell reminiscent of freshly-turned sod, even if it doesn't exactly match it, and that note comes out more and more as the oil dries.

It's refreshing, but at the same time, I can't shake that PINESOL feeling. I give it a 3 out of 5 - probably won't be buying a bottle, but I'll enjoy the rest of the imp.

I got this as a frimp with my last order - labbies, that was a stroke of genius! OH MY GOD. With the juniper and evergreen foresty notes, this is quite similar to Loup Garou, which is one of my favourite blends, but with a little hint of wild florals (as opposed to girly perfume florals, which I really don't like) and earthiness and a difference in overall character. Loup Garou is the wild animal, the predator, and Burial is the ground on which it walks, the woods which surround it. Superb. I must have a bottle!

Burial is dirt. But clean, fertile dirt that things will grow in. And they have, judging by the sweetness that's here. It's not a moody, depressive scent at all for me, it's actually quite invigorating and refreshing. There's something here that reminds me of the scent of the air after the rain.

It's not a 'perfume' scent, of course, and it's probably more masculine than feminine, but I really like it.

Wearing this one today. Started out deep and earthy like I was hoping for but as the day goes on, it turns a little too sweet and rosey for me. I am finding that with me, the flower notes in my oils are ending up too strong after a time. Still, this one is very interesting, and I will try it another day and see what happens........

cheers!

UPDATE: Really liking this........something like fresh tilled earth, sweet dampness but not too sweet. Leaves me feeling somewhat calm and aware. hmmmmm......might have to order this!

Edited by kope