Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

Yep. Dirt!

I just poured alittle bit in my oilburner :)

Should b helping to give me the outsidey feeling and less misery for not having my own garden ...

I’m an archaeologist by trade, and I know my dirt. And this smells like…dirt. Like being buried in the best-smelling soil I’ve ever put to my nose. Smells like pine needles, salt, sand, minerals, and a little bit of mint. A little menthol-ly but like cold rocks. Definitely one of my favorite scents!

In the vial: Sharp, menthol, cleaning agent, minerals.

On *my* skin: Deep, dark earth with soapy rocks and gritty sand. Less sharp, but definitely still like pine and mint. Cold.

Damn, I love this one.

In the imp: Smells a little bit like a mentholated ashtray, which means it's probably got patchouli in it.

Wet on my skin: A little bit of dark soil, and MINT and PINE. Sinus-clearing mint and pine...and juniper! Very realistic, actually.

Dry: This isn't much in the way of dirt on me. Instead, it's bright, freshly-cut juniper, pine, and some minty goodness as well. What little dirt there is is in the background, underneath all the evergreen tang. It's a nose-clearing sort of scent, but I actually quite like it. It is very GREEN. And a little blue, too, like blue spruce blue.

Wet: Oh my gosh, so much juniper. Whoa. Very medicinal. Currently smells like Buckley's Cough Syrup

Dry: This is truly terrible on me. Chemically and sharp.

I do love BPAL's dirt note, but this is a spicy dirt that I do not care for. The addition of the patchouli takes it from fresh upturned dirt to weirdly spiced dirt for me.

In the imp: A big, zingy hit of juniper with maybe just a whiff of florals for levity. Brisk and lovely! ...No dirt, though.

Wet: I'm still getting a lot of juniper and maybe a touch of patchouli, but now it's almost...rotten-smelling? I don't have a lot of experience with BPAL's dirt note, but this does indeed bring to mind juniper needles decaying into the earth. It's my policy to test every frimp I get just in case I end up finding a new love, but to be honest this smells more unsettling than the brisk, outdoorsy scent I was getting ITI.

Dry: Warms up to a surprisingly soft, cuddly patchouli. However, this one doesn't hang around for long, and disappears after about four hours.

Eh, I think someone else will appreciate this one more than me. I've been sniffing around (har!) for a good outdoorsy herbal scent, and while I do like the juniper and patchouli, I wish it was, y'know, actually juniper and patchouli instead of loam. However, dirt lovers rejoice - you have a winner here!

Bottle: Juniper, spruce, rosewood and dirt.

Wet: The same, but with some sappy wood added. Is a moss playing the part of loam? There's something loamy, anyway. There's a dark floral, and I can't tell if the rosewood I smelled in the bottle is really that or a rose scent mixed with some earthen wood or musk.

Dry: Grey-green moss clings to, and softens the shapes of, everything in this olfactory graveyard. Somewhere nearby, wet grass has been trampled on its side, gotten stuck there and begun to rot. The opened earth is drying -- that's the patchouli out. The soil smells rich and fertile from dead things. I think I maybe smell cypress.

I love forest smells, but this frimp goes too loamy and macabre for me. I appreciate the artistry, but viscerally loathe this blend.

As someone obsessed with cemeteries I had to try this fragrance just based on the description. I had high hopes for Burial, but sadly it was all undone by the roses. The first sniff was like "Fuck!" Straight up astringent chemicals. When I put it on my skin it smelt very different and it was perfect. Damp soil and rotten leaves. It is beautiful at the start for me, but half an hour in the rose takes over completely and reminds me of soap my Nana used to put in her drawer to keep her clothes fragrant. Such a bugger, 'cause it is creepy at the start. It does maintain that old-fashioned, Victorian vibe even when the rose does come out and it could be worn by either gender despite its predominance.

This one is very hard to describe for me. I smell pine needles mainly, sharp, astringent-ey. There somewhere in the distance I do get rose and dirt. It's not bad, not something I love either. Not off-putting at all but not something I would reach for. The longer it's on my wrist the more old lady rose I smell, which for some that's great, kind of smells like a cheap pine cleaner.

After even longer of a dry down it now reminds me so much of Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, almost identical.

Edited by naflatem

In the imp and wet: slightly minty, herbal aftershave

Dry: herby, light bit of dirt, juniper (which is where I'm guessing the mint smell is coming from), aftershave

As earthy scents from the Lab that smell of mint go, this is the least minty one I've tried so that's a plus. But it still does smell of mint, which I don't enjoy smelling like and will probably never enjoy in a fragrance. It also is very herbal and medicinal, which also isn't to my taste so this one is a major miss for me.

It definitely isn't just me picking up on a minty, medicinal smell and also, this scent has quite a throw apparently: I walked into the room and my boyfriend immediately declared that I smell of vapor rub so...

Edited by BearyStrange

The dirt+juniper is woah!-in-your-face when wet. On dry-down, it smells the same, but less sharp. Nice and foresty. Great for folks who like smelling like nature. Reminds me of walking into a little new-age boutique shop. Perfect for husband?

ETA 01.24.18 -

Trying this a second time, and I now love it as an atmosphere scent. Popping it in my warmer now.

What I'd use it for: Atmosphere scent for concentration and grounding

Edited by gloame

Again, the juniper note in this is very gin-esque. I probably shouldn't have put it on the same arm as 21! The pine is actually rather subtle on me and blends with the juniper nicely, and the dirt isn't overly strong. It's just a soft earthiness in the background. It's not wowing me, but I do like it as a green herbal scent.

Beautiful pine and juniper!There is a loamy undertone to it, but it's far from off-putting. It's a bright green forest. I don't seem to be getting any obvious patchouli, which is fine. It's not a note I look for, but I don't hate it. It just doesn't seem to be doing much on me here. I also don't seem to be getting any floral notes either. It really is just all juniper, pine, and dirt. I actually prefer it that way. It stands out, but isn't oppressive. it's a win for me!

In the imp: That's a dark forest, all right. I opened the imp and was greeted with a blast of juniper and pine.

Wet: Mostly pine and juniper, although the patchouli is beginning to deepen the blend in the background. It starts to become more earthy over time, with the dirt and dark patchouli beginning to assert their presence.

Dry: The patchouli reigns, along with the dirt. There is an evergreen forest is behind the cemetery, and you keep getting whiffs of the trees on the cool night air.

Verdict: I enjoy dirt and forest scents, and although the patchouli in this is a bit grittier than I can normally handle, it works with the theme of the scent. I'll be keeping my imp! I look forward to pairing this with the Trading Post's Black Clove, Tobacco Flower, and Grave Soil hair gloss.

So much evergreen! Pretty much that at the beginning, then the patchouli comes in, with a touch of dirt. This smells like the outdoors, and it's quite nice, but it's more of an atmosphere blend to me.

Wet: Very, very lightly dirt smelling. I had to apply a lot of this to get a good whiff, and I'm still struggling!

Dry: Lightly dirt, and lightly rose smelling.

Not bad, not great. A bit too light for me to get a good read on it, but at least the floral note(that I'm assuming is rose) didn't go soapy or anything.

In the imp: Very astringent juniper overpowering everything else!

Wet: Slightly less juniper, getting more of the patchouli.

Drydown: The juniper is weirdly gone, or at least really toned down. Now it smells like petrichor, which I absolutely love!

Dry: Still lots of petrichor (presumably from the patch), with some wet rose/pine peeking through. 

Verdict: I was really surprised by this one; the initial bottle sniff turned me off, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot! I'll definitely be getting a full bottle of this once the imp runs out. 

Expectations: I thought it would be a variation on BPAL dirt (received as frimp, hadn't read notes). Since I'm not a fan of said dirt, I wasn't hoping for much. 

In the imp:  No dirt. Soapiness. I can pick out juniper. Have to admit, I don't love either. 

On my skin:

Lord and a half. Gin and mint. I'm not sure where the extra mint is coming from. If patchouli could at least make an appearance, then I'd know where to go with this. 

Dry, it's at least dried down to straight juniper. 

Okay, folks. This is just not my friend. 

On my skin, Burial starts out as a sharp blast of evergreens, mostly juniper; I would have guessed cypress too. It stays a pure forest scent for a long time before I start to get some rose as well, and only after a couple of hours can I perceive a bit of the Lab's lovely soil note, which I was hoping for much more of here.  Juniper is not my favorite evergreen, rose is not my favorite floral, and I wanted more dirt, so this wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  I will stick with Deep in Earth.  

Just got this imp from a swap.  I love the smell of dirt, and I'm very into forests and light florals, so I'm interested to see how this one turns out!

In bottle: In the bottle, this smells very Vix-y to me.  

On skin: It definitely still has that menthol feel to it, but calmer and a bit tempered by.... what, I can't tell.  

After a few hours: Unfortunately, this keeps up a pretty strong menthol smell on me without much else.  

I was not optimistic about trying this scent because it didn't sound like something that I'd enjoy, but it was a frimp and I make a point to try out everything I get.

Burial has the dubious honor of being the first perfume to literally make me gag.  I love juniper and pine, but I do not love patchouli and dirt (which strike me as roughly the same thing most times.).  My only hope was that the juniper and pine would beat back the components that I dislike.

Well.  To put it figuratively, to me Burial smells like being trapped in a filthy car with someone who's smoking the worst, skunkiest cigarettes imaginable.  They keep flicking the ashes on you.  The doors and windows are locked.  A little pine tree air freshener hangs futilely from the rear-view mirror.  The little pine tree is not enough.  You never get carsick, but there's a first time for everything.  Your brain screams for you to ask the driver to roll down the windows or put out the cigarette (or, ideally, both) but they're giving you a free ride home and you don't want to seem ungrateful so you keep your mouth shut and endure it.

This is probably my one of my favorite scents. The wood reads cedar to me that transitions to a rose that reminds me of a rosary I owned as a kid made from rose petals and a bit of dirt from Fatima. Every time I wear this it brings me back to Easter mass.