Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

Imp: Soil and pine-sol
Wet on Me: Total soil and pine..but stale soil that has
turned and heavy heavy pine sap
Drying Down: now the patchouli begins to join the group,
taking some of the piney sap notes down to a dull whisper
and pushing the sour/stale soil smell away but bringing up
a wood note in the mix.
Dry: Wood mostly now. Pale whiffs of patchouli and the juniper.
The soil took a hike and that is a good thing in this case. I like.

Fresh from the lab today...

In the bottle: dark and solemn.

Wet: Dirt with a light floral....

.... let the morphing begin.....

Drydown: Dusty roses... a really nice rose scent. Roses are strong on me and I usually steer clear of most but this is a nice one.

And here is where my strange chemistry comes into play, it now smells exactly like burning frankincense. just as if you were to burn it on charcoal. It drove me crazy trying tio figure it out, but thats it.

I love this.. although its not what I expected!

IN THE IMP: Oh... A lot of juniper, which I've learned that I don't like at all. And also fresh soil (clean dirt, if that makes sense?), with a hint of flowers.

WET: Still very earthy, relatively dry. A crisp, clean soil scent, which comes from the woods, I think.

DRY: Still smells like clean soil to me. I'm not a dirt scent fan, but this was interesting!

Sniffed: Sharp and woodsy - juniper, CYPRESS, another evergreen that's strongly mentholic, and maybe even some eucalyptus - with a little earthy patchouli (but light) and soil underneath, and faint nocturnal florals.

Wet: Still mentholic/medicinal/wintergreeny, but much sweeter, and I think I get some sort of mint. Also, this is reminding me a scented toilet cleaner I once used (it's the cypress/mint combo). Iris is definitely amongst the florals, both powdery and a little rotten.

Dry: As it starts to dry (very quickly), it becomes almost limey and the juniper creates the impression of gin - and this reminds me of The Mock Turtle's Lessons. I'm positive this must have white mint as well. The patchouli has amped a little, and is the rooty sort.

Later: A little cedar in here, reminding me of The Witch's Garden. And the cypress/mint recalls Melpomeme. The mentholic stuff has mostly burned off, so it's no longer medicinal, or only barely. Still sort of soapy. Only a tiny wisp of soil remains.

Summary: Piney-evergreen floral-soapy toilet cleaner. Cypress, juniper, white mint, lime, cedar, rooty patchouli, rotten iris, and faint soil. Pretty dreadful, with strong throw & longevity (of course).

:ack:

Piney dirt, mostly. Not a rose (or any other sort of flower) in sight. Not bad, but it doesn't linger long, and I don't think it would be a 'me' scent, anyway.

In the imp: BOOM! Juniper!

On me, the initial juniper blast fades with the drydown, and the patchouli comes out. Something else (a musk? Amber? Maybe one of the flowers mentioned?) adds a tad of powder to soften the blow. A floral component (I can't tell which) peeks through a few minutes after complete drydown.

Overall, this is decent, but it doesn't blow me away. I will use the imp, but I don't think I'll order more.

This was a frimp from the lab. All oils smell just sharp and awful to me in the imp, so I'll skip to wet...

Boom. On a camping trip on a damp grey morning just after dawn. Damp dirt, woods and herbs. As it dries I get a wisp of something floral in the background, but the main impression is still damp grey woods and a musty tent. I'm getting powerful sense memories of all the camping trips I've been on when its rained in the night, and I've woken up and gone outside to stretch before starting the fire for breakfast. With the name "burial" in mind, I start to imagine a funeral on a grey morning deep in the heart of the woods. During the drydown stage, there's a slight...minty-ness? that seems to come out, and the floral note gets slightly more prominent. The scent seemed to fade altogether after about three hours.

It's a very somber, shivery scent on me.

This is a blast of patchouli & dirt on my skin and then goes really sinister and begins to amp fire & brimstone. Just too dark and oppressive for my skin chemistry, I'm afraid.

Hi, patchouli. Fancy seeing you here.

Yep, Burial is pretty darn headshoppy on me. It's all patchouli with a little bit of harsh, herbal, medicinal pine/cedar. I like dirt scents, but I don't actually get any loam or earth at all in here. Good thing I tested this right before I planned to shower. ;)

I wasn't expecting to like this, but it's not a bad smell. But it's too patchouli and cologne-y, so I will not be wearing this imp.

In the imp I smell dirt. Too cool how Beth can make something smell like fresh dirt!

On the patchouli is strong, along with musk. It's very masculine to me.

In the imp: I want to say Cedar, and that's it. But it is more complex than a single-note, I can tell that much; it's just that I don't know what's what. Pretty much a strong, pure, woodsy/piney smell though.

Wet on skin: the woods/pine have died back just a bit, and have been joined by a large bouquet of very sober florals. No dirt I can detect, although it might be part of the complexity of the trees. Rats, I was looking forward to fresh-turned earth. Still good though.

Unfortunately, about 20 minutes in, the trees have died back a lot and the funeral flowers have all but taken over. Still no dirt. I don't really enjoy it in its final form, (it never changed after that, other than the eventual fading away) so it'll have to find a new home.

Average-to-strong throw. Lasts at least a few hours at a reasonable strength.

In the imp: Eu de Pine Sol

wet: Holycow evergreen.

Drydown: Once the evergreen notes spread out the graveyard loam really comes to the forefront. Underneath is the almost perfumey notes of dried flowers. The pine keeps it from becoming too deep and broody. It's definitely Patchouli creating the dirt notes, but it's pretty soft and clean, not like in Depraved or March Hare.

Dry: The flowers become more and more obvious as time progresses. The evergreen still lingers to some extent, but more as an accent now that as the main fanfare. The patchouli is definitely the top scent in the blend, but the "floral offerings" also leave their effect.

Conclusion: Very different. I'm normally not a fan of "dirt" scents, maybe because they all remind me of patchouli and "dirty hippy funk." The evergreen in this keeps it clean and earthy at the same time. It's what I would call a campfire scent.

In the bottle: I was hoping for more juniper. Instead it smells like... foresty nature kinda. But I have high hopes. I will test it on my skin.

Wet: Smells like dirt. And ever green. And... yes, patchouli. Why so cruel to me, patchouli? Please, die down and let me smell the juniper. I bought this for the juniper. :(

Dry: No. Patchouli is a harsh mistress, and I amp it to high heaven, and after it dries, that's all I smell. Head shop. Dirty head shop, actually. Alack, for this had potential, but we were not meant to be.

Definitely smells like upturned loam, for the first half hour. And then flowers come out, for a half hour, and then the scent dies on my skin. And I was hoping for a forest scent, maybe more pachouli over the time, but no, just soil.

This blend sounds like the anti-me, just even looking at the description. We'll see how this goes. In the imp, this is a very dark, foresty scent. On my skin, the dirt aspect amps. Just... no, no, need to get this off.

In the vial: Juniper and woods

Wet: Whew! Nasal clearing juniper....very astringent smelling woods mixed with a grounding patchouli.

Dry: Smells like the outdoors...like a chilly walk through the woods at night. This one does a great job of capturing an image in your head. It's the beginning to a really great story.

Verdict: Not something I would wear on my skin but I will certainly enjoy this in my oil burner! :)

There's some sort of astringent note in Burial at first, maybe the juniper, but it reminds me of a sharp flower like jasmine, too, although I don't think it's jasmine because it doesn't stomp all over everything else. Anyway, there's that and an earthiness that I loooove. Mmmm soil.

It has a high piney note when it's wet but it dries to a pretty great earth-and-floral scent, with juniper . . . I would say it's the scent of the wood, not the berry, although there is a tiny bit of something pine-y in there, so maybe it's both, IDK. It does have a woody (har) feel to it though.

This is totally different than what I expected. Before I read the notes, I expected horrible flowery awfulness, based on the name, but Burial is actually a pretty warm scent -- comforting, even. I do love almost anything with "dirt" in it, though, so I imagine not everyone would be this enchanted by it. I might keep this imp around (I almost never keep GC imps, if that helps give that weight).

On me Burial is absolutely Vicks vaporub, a very cool menthol, eucalyptus scent. I don't get patchouli out of this at all. It reminds me of scents that are enjoyable but weird like gasoline, rubber cement glue, some kinds of paint. As it dries down it becomes a little more warm and woodsy, but it still has the menthol in the background. I'm really enjoying it. I don't think I'm at a bottle-worthy level of enjoying it, but I'm glad I have a couple imps of it.

In Bottle: This smells pretty darn good. The main scent reminds me of fresh turned earth and dark green foliage. I think the main note is the juniper and if so I am hooked, cause it's definitely a great crisp scent.

Wet: A fresh earthy smell. Ever so slightly floral and almost minty. I'm not really getting any of the patchouli which is good.

Dry: It actually smells more herbal then floral at this point. I'm not sure if there is actually mint or eucalyptus in there but my nose sure seems to think there is. Still has that fresh earth scent lying underneath but that appears to be quickly fading. I have a feeling that like Danse Macabre this will not be a long lasting scent.

Notes: This scent feels a lot cleaner then I what I conjured up from the name and description. I was expecting more moist dirt and less herb or an almost staggering floral scent. A nice earthy scent.

Wild-card scent I had to order based on the name/description.

In the imp it's sharp, a little wild and foresty. Juniper mostly, I think. It seems serious, like somewhere you're probably not supposed to be.

On my skin... oi. Wet it's all moldy roses on top with a undercurrent of the juniper and perhaps just a smattering of dirt - I think that might be the other thing I'm smelling. It's incredibly evocative of the name - a lonely grave out on the outskirts of the graveyard with ill-tended flowers resting upon it.

As it dries there's a few minutes where the floral gets distracted and lets the greenery play, but it's a short stage. Which is a shame, because I found myself actually liking the juniper. Patchouli appears not to have shown up, but that's cool with me. After 30 minutes the worst of the 'moldy' aspect of the floral has receded and it's mostly just old roses with a faint hit of dark green and brown underneath - you have to dig for the grave now, the flowers are scattered all over.

Fascinating as a olfactory creation (and ever-popular for the WTF factor amongst my non-BPAL friends) but not something I'd wear.

Better than average throw on my skin.

Wet: Vick's Vaporub?

Dry: Vaporub and roses? :lol: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who got Vick's Vaporub out of this!

Verdict: Good for a laugh! Doesn't suit my chemistry, though.

Edited by furiana

Ok , I get the Vicks with my initial sniff too . However it doesn't last long at all . It melts into a pool of dirt & greenness . I barely get the rose , which is a good thing considering my history with it . But I do smell it there , hiding behind & bolstering somewhat the green notes in this . And dirt too , but not the fresh turned earth I got from Graveyard Dirt . More of a moldering , not necessarily healthy kind of dirt . Maybe from the side of a stagnant pond in the middle of some swampy forest . Very interesting , but I feel my bottle will last me a long time . It'll be one of those scents I go to when I'm in the mood for something totally different .

In the vial, I'm getting vetiver, patchouli, and juniper. *Very* earthy. Nice. Color - black loam.

Wet on my skin, this has a caramelized, almost sweet smell to it. Odd. Reminds me of vinegar and sugar, a little. The floral offerings seem to be the same ones from Worm Moon - one of the few florals that don't hate me.

10-15 minute drydown - Unfortunately, I think there's some violet in here because there's a weird soapy/alcohol-y note that does *not* agree with me. Pity, because it smelled REALLY nice.

30 minute drydown - After wiping some of it off, I'm getting a *very* soft floral, maybe iris, and the juniper/patchouli/vetiver combo. Nice. I doubt I'll order a bottle, but this makes me want to try Graveyard Dirt, Deep in Earth, and The Potter's Field. I really like the 'dirt' scent, but I want it without the flowers.