Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

If you like ____ BPAL, then you'll like this product!

Hungry Ghost Moon smells uncannily similar to HM by Hanae Mori.

This? Is awesome, as I loooove HM.

I need to add to this thread bc I have discovered two perfumes that smell A LOT like some DCed (component issues) BPALS:

If you like Unseelie, try Angelique Encens by CREED.

If you like Candy Butcher, try Musc Maori by Perfumerie Generale.

Hope this helps some of you find the next best thing to your beloved DC's.

ETA: Anyone find anything similar to Noir? I am desperate! I found a candle that smells just like it but I need a perfume!

Edited by Persephone76

I'm trying to find an equivalent to MB: Tokyo Stomp, because my DD has discovered it and turned into quite the slatherer. So far, I've read that Mad Hatter may be a reasonable GC equivalent (though it's more pennyroyal than mint). What about Wylde Ivy's Ice Princess or Villainesse Scintillating? Any other recommendations before the kiddo slathers me out of mint and home?!

I guess this goes here:

Theodosius = Thierry Mugler's Angel

...to my nose, anyway. Looking at the notes, it makes no sense at all, but I've tried it on my skin several times and that's what I get.

For me Xiehcutli XIUHTECUHTLI = the beautiful dry-down of Angel without having to wait for it to go bad on my skin...

Neither of these do anything like Angel on my skin which is a shame. XIUHTECUHTLI was overly fruity and also gave me an instant headache, and Theodosius is all jasmine and tea.

Tokyo Stomp is my favorite vanilla/mint! I prefer it to Snowblind (plasticky!) and all of the Lick Its.

For similar vanilla/mint blends, I do like Villainess's Scintillating a lot, with the caveat that I've never tried the perfume. I have used the soap, and Scintillating is my favorite smooch. I even used to use the whipped a lot before I switched to ennui so it wouldn't interfere with my BPAL. All of those were very similar in terms of scent, and they have that bright, sweet vanilla mint.

For something a little different, I also like Green Tree Viper. It gets a bit Snake Oily in the drydown, but the mint hits my nose very similar to the mint in Tokyo Stomp, and the vanilla in SO makes it a member of that "scent family" IMO.

My boyfriend likes Mad Hatter, which is not at ALL similar to TS to me -- the pennyroyal has a more herbal mint scent to it, while the mint in TS strikes me as a more foody/candy mint.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the feedback, astarinel! The DD turned up her nose at my bottle of Lick it One More Time. I think it might have been TOO minty for her. I hadn't considered Green Tree Viper mainly because I'm probably one of three people on the planet who don't like Snake Oil. It might be lovely on the DD, though. Hmmmmmmm.......

On me, Phantom Queen smells eerily similar to Prell shampoo! Fine with me...I like the smell of Prell :)

So, I love Spanked. It's probably the best BPAL I've ever smelled. Ever.

In any case, it reminded me a lot of another favorite perfume of mine, by Pacifica Perfumes. It's called Spanish Amber.

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/woods-resins/spanish-amber/spray-perfume

It comes in a spray, a solid perfume, a soap, a candle and body butter. All good products. It doesn't last very long but it's a very similar smell to my nose. Of course it's not exactly the same and I'd probably prefer the bpal, but if you're on a budget or you're like me and just cannot get your mitts on some Spanked, try this.

Ooh. I love Spanked so I should try this. I wonder if it's one of the scents that my nearby health food store stocks (they have several Pacifica testers out)?

I'm going to have to give this a try! I must say.. honestly.. I'm kinda skeptical that anything could be as good as Spanked :) But you've got me curious enough to want to find out :D

They don't ship internationally, but I can see some on the US eBay so if I end up buying, I'll definitely come back and let you know how it goes!! Thanks for the rec :smile:

I originally found it at Whole Foods, but they don't always have it. Worth a shot, certainly.

Ha, that would be great if there were a Whole Foods anywhere near me! I live in the country :)

I've been all excited about trying it because I know that they carry it at the Whole Foods just 10 minutes away from me.......when I realized that I don't know what Spanked smells like. :lol:

So I went and tried this today (because I love Spanked that much, seriously) and it actually does smell very, very similar to my nose. However, the throw and lasting power are nowhere near Spanked. It really did smell like Spanked to me, though, so until it gets resurrected (oh please oh please oh please) this could be a good alternative.

I'm going to have to give this a try! I must say.. honestly.. I'm kinda skeptical that anything could be as good as Spanked :) But you've got me curious enough to want to find out :D

They don't ship internationally, but I can see some on the US eBay so if I end up buying, I'll definitely come back and let you know how it goes!! Thanks for the rec :smile:

I wouldn't say it's AS good, just that the scents are similar. Kind of like how snake oil and snake charmer are in the similar scent category and share some notes, but they're not THE SAME. I did sniff this and immediately think of the other one, though.

So I went and tried this today (because I love Spanked that much, seriously) and it actually does smell very, very similar to my nose. However, the throw and lasting power are nowhere near Spanked. It really did smell like Spanked to me, though, so until it gets resurrected (oh please oh please oh please) this could be a good alternative.

Yes, I had the same experience.

Maybe I'll just go to Whole Foods to pick up the solid tomorrow. It's probably going to be the closest that I'll ever get to Spanked.

Maybe I'll just go to Whole Foods to pick up the solid tomorrow. It's probably going to be the closest that I'll ever get to Spanked.

Probably. I was lucky enough to be gifted a testable sniffie, which I was THRILLED to have. As soon as I smelled it I was like "I know this smell...." and was like "YES THIS WAS MY FAVORITE PERFUME EVER!" The only reason I didn't replace it was because, like someone else said, the throw isn't great and it doesn't last long. I may have to replace it though because I have been craving Spanked ever since I smelt it. There is like one test more and I promised it to Venneh....but I have to admit, it's hard to leave it in the vial! Mmmmmm, Spanked.

THEY NEED TO BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! MOAR EXCLAMATION POINTS!

Edited by talula_fairie

I went to Whole Foods this morning. The thought of buying the solid perfume got me moving and out of the house early, only to find that they didn't have the solid in the Spanish Amber. They said that they have been ordering it every week when they place their orders, but it never comes in. They did have the spray, so I tried that, but I really wanted to buy the solid. I quite like it even though I've never tried Spank, so I can't compare them. I think that I'll try calling some of the other Whole Foods in the area.

You girls are evil. EVIL :D

I bought the solid perfume from a US seller on eBay, so it's going to take a week or two before I get it.. but I promise to come back here and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again, talula_fairie, for posting this info :hug:

I went to Whole Foods this morning. The thought of buying the solid perfume got me moving and out of the house early, only to find that they didn't have the solid in the Spanish Amber. They said that they have been ordering it every week when they place their orders, but it never comes in. They did have the spray, so I tried that, but I really wanted to buy the solid. I quite like it even though I've never tried Spank, so I can't compare them. I think that I'll try calling some of the other Whole Foods in the area.

I've found Pacifica stuff at Sephora (although Spanish Amber isn't listed on the website). You can also find it (and the scent in other forms, and lots of other scents) on Pacifica's webpage here.

I've found Pacifica stuff at Sephora (although Spanish Amber isn't listed on the website). You can also find it (and the scent in other forms, and lots of other scents) on Pacifica's webpage here.

Thank you :) I forgot about Sephora which would also have worked for my instant gratification, but I ended up walking in the shadow of sunshinedaisybliss and getting it on Ebay, along with a solid of the Mexican Cocoa. It ended up being cheaper than if I had gotten it at Whole Foods or Sephora, so I'm happy. It isn't instant gratification, but I can be patient for a few days. :P

Thank you :) I forgot about Sephora which would also have worked for my instant gratification, but I ended up walking in the shadow of sunshinedaisybliss and getting it on Ebay, along with a solid of the Mexican Cocoa. It ended up being cheaper than if I had gotten it at Whole Foods or Sephora, so I'm happy. It isn't instant gratification, but I can be patient for a few days. :P

Ooh - you'll get yours before me! :P (not jealous.. much ;))

Lucky I didn't notice the Mexican Cocoa, I purposely didn't look at the seller's other items. I can not be trusted to browse eBay alone :D