Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

If you like ____ BPAL, then you'll like this product!

I guess this goes here:

Theodosius = Thierry Mugler's Angel

...to my nose, anyway. Looking at the notes, it makes no sense at all, but I've tried it on my skin several times and that's what I get.

For me Xiehcutli XIUHTECUHTLI = the beautiful dry-down of Angel without having to wait for it to go bad on my skin...

XIUHTECUHTLI - I second the comparison to Thierry Mugler's Angel, although it's more similar to the peony ("pivoine") "Garden Of Stars" Angel more than anything else. Still, Xiuhtecuhtli kicks Angel's ass in any way you look at it. I find it much more wearable than Angel.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Oberon reminds me very strongly of the Body Shop's Ananya fragrance.

If you like O, you should try Hugo Naturals Shea Butter & Vanilla Shower Gel. They're very very similar. O has some more warmth and Hugo Naturals is a little more clean, but that's the way it should be :P

Edited by Chickie

Aureus <-->Youth Dew eck! and I so WANTED to love it!

Edited by tyger

If you like Davidoff Cool Water you should try Danube. It is not the same scent but it reminds me so much of it ... watery, fresh, simply nice :D

Funny that you mention that. On me, Count Dracula was a dead-ringer for Cool Water. :D

I also find that something in Snake Oil reminds me a great deal of Coty's Emeraude. That's always been one of my favorites and what helped me get hooked on BPAL. :P

If you like Inferno, then you will probably like Bond No 9's H.O.T. Always.

Snake Charmer and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan are very similar. They share a lot of the same notes. Ambre Sultan is a little grittier and a little more masculine than Snake Charmer, but the similarities are very strong.

If you like Pele, then you will love Philosophy's Amazing Grace. The resemblance to my nose is astounding, and wonderful!

I second the observation (made a page or two back) that Morocco smells like Shalimar. Really, uncannily similar, on me at least.

Bon Vivant smells way similar to Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent!

Oh my god yes! Though it's called YSL Yvresse now :P - cannot wait for my bottle to arrive!

I've always thought that Kumiho has a noticeable similarity to Calvin Klein's Truth but it seems the notes are completely different!

fragrance notes in Truth: bamboo, patchouli, vetiver, wet woods, white peony, white clover and sapling

sensual notes: vanilla, white amber, silk tree flower, acacia flower, white sandalwood, woods and musk

Kumiho: white tea and ginger

?!?!

Still, I adore them both!! :P

Edit -- never mind, I already posted that one.

Haunted = Shalimar Eau Legere

Also, for people who like Lolita Lempicka, I get a distinctly Lolita Lempicka-ish drydown from Green Tree Viper. So if minty Lolita Lempicka appeals, that one might be one to try.

Edited by Electra

If you love 51, you need to get your paws on a Silver Cloud ballistic from Lush. It's one of the Christmas LE products for this year - I didn't check to see if they are on the NA site yet, but they were in the store here in Atlanta when I went on Sunday and I got one.

Now, I rarely find Lush's descriptions of their scents to describe them that accurately, and this one's no exception. :P Here's what I got from the UK site: As it hits the water, a whole concoction of sweet orange and lime essential oils, laced with floral gardenia fills your bathroom with a reviving scent. Close your eyes and you`ll feel like you`re floating on cloud nine. Open them again and you`ll find yourself surrounded in a tiny shoal of silvery sparkles in the turquoise blue water. Matched with Mark`s fruity fragrance, Silver Cloud is one of Noriko`s finest creations.

I haven't bathed with mine yet, but I was huffing it this morning and trying to put my finger on what it reminded me of when I made the 51 connection. It's very similar to the early stages of 51, bright fruit and white florals - which is very unexpected and refreshing for a Christmas product. I'm really rationing myself on baths right now since we're in a terrible water crisis, but I'm looking forward to trying this one out and until then, I'm letting it sit on my dresser in a little dish as a pomander.

If you like any BPAL blends with cocoa or honey, you will flip for this candle. I got one a while back when Beautyhabit was offering a 25% off discount code and although it was still very pricey, I have had a few of the Burn Rare line candles over the past few years and they are incredible - not something that you are going to buy 5 of at a time and burn every day.

But light one and my entire downstairs (something like 1700 square feet) is scented within 20 minutes, and you get a total of something like 90 hours of burn time from one. Just having one sit on a side table is the equivalent of having a big bowl of potpourri in my family room, I can smell it from 12 feet away. (The wax in these is very soft due to the high percentage of fragrant oils, so when I have burned one to a point where I'm not comfortable lighting it one more time, I scrape out the remaining wax and put it in a tart burner).

The notes listed for the Rare Love fragrance are: bitter Mayan cacao absolute, aromatic Ceylon cinnamon bark, Madagascar vanilla bean, Tunisian amber resin, Reunion Isle ylang-ylang, red rose attar, sacred Asian lotus, jasmine sambac, Mysore sandalwood, Nigerian ginger root, Malabar Coast pink pepper and sensual musk. The closest thing I can compare the scent to is Boomslang layered with single note Honey. But the scent quality is SO BPAL-y. :P

My other favorite from this line is the Amber Resin candle: Golden Amber, Peruvian Balsam, Sumatra Benzoin Crystal, Florentine Orris, Somali Frankincense, Bourbon Isle Vanilla Absolute, Opopanax Resin, and Brazilian Tonka Bean. It reminds me a great deal of Jacob's Ladder, the awesome Yule LE from 2005 & 2006, with a hint of vanilla. ZOMG it is gorgeous.

(BURN also makes liquid soaps and lotions that are available at Beautyhabit - I haven't tried them yet but plan to when I have some spare cash one of these days!)

I had a bath this evening with Fantasy Bath's Bayou Voodoo bath-fizzy stuff and realized that I had recently smelled a BPAL that was similar. Put on my thinking cap and realized it's Tupapau.

I checked the notes and the Fantasy Bath stuff has sandalwood, vanilla and oakmoss with a little jasmine and plumeria - Tupapau's notes are white sandalwood, pikaki, 'umi'umi-o-dole (a type of moss), and plumeria. So if you're a fan of Tupapau, I definitely think you'll like FB's Bayou Voodoo bath products.

Titania reminds me of that Ralph Lauren's Romance..

only, I do. not. like. synthetic perfumes.

at all :P

just wanted to let you guys know, there might be someone looking for that, you never know right? :D

(I like Titania though :D)

and Belle Epoque really smells like Yves Saint Laurant's Opium..

unbelieveble. a lot! :D

Edited by lunaticana

If you like any BPAL blends with cocoa or honey, you will flip for this candle. I got one a while back when Beautyhabit was offering a 25% off discount code and although it was still very pricey, I have had a few of the Burn Rare line candles over the past few years and they are incredible - not something that you are going to buy 5 of at a time and burn every day.

You are an EVIL ENABELER!

The candle shall be mine! Mwaaahahaaaaa

Has anyone come across a candle that compares to Snake Charmer? That would be so sexy in the bedroom!