Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

Ok, so, this is my first private imp. I was introduced to bpal by my roommate and now that I have a batch of my own, I cannot wait to try them all! I've been reading reviews like a maniac lately trying to figure all the scents out, so I hope this goes ok!
So, kill-devil:

When I first opened the bottle, I was kind of overwhelmed by the sickly sweetness. I think it must have been the molasses, just so syrupy and thick. I quickly closed it back up and went on to the next imp, but the scent lingered in my mind the rest of the day. I was just so thick, iit refused to let go.

Once I got the stuff on my skin, my mouth started watering. The sweetness became much less overpowering and it smelled almost exactly like spiced rum. As it dried, the honey definitely took over and I lost the rum and molasses. The longer it was on, the less sweet it became and I started to get a little bit of the oak.

Seeing as this is my first real bpal try, I am sooo happy! I keep smelling my wrists every two minutes because I smell so gosh darn delicious! Though I really like this scent and will definitely keep using the imp, I do wish the rum smell lasted a bit longer. The sweet-spicy-rum wet phase was definitely my favorite, which just gives me an excuse to keep putting more on!

Kill Devil is anther good one. It's very sugar/brown sugar sweet, but once it's on your skin it turns very sexy.

This is definitely the same kind of sugar-caramel in Red Lantern, but this is more straight-up honest-to-goodness brown sugar without any of the other fancy stuff that makes Red Lantern such a morpher. It's sweet, but the tang of Oak is also prominent so its not at all cloying. Oak is a sharp and tannic wood, not a resinous piney type wood or a minty birchy wood, it's sharp as a splinter or maybe a slightly underaged single malt whiskey. Ah yes, a little bit of caramel and a little bit of whiskey... ahhhh...

Now all I need is a good cigar....

Edited by 13magpies

In the imp: Boozy and fruity.

Wet: Predominantly boozy at first, but then the molasses really starts to come out -- even yummier than the honey.

Drydown: Like many reviewers, I clearly get a sharp, clean citrusy note -- I want to say lime -- that, along with the oakwood backing everything up, keeps this from being merely teeth-rotting goo. I like the way this has that decadent sweetness about it, but it isn't your standard foody -- that is, it's not clearly identifiable (at least to the modern nose) as having to do with a specific food, the way Beaver Moon is either cupcakes or cheesecake, depending on the version. In that way, it's almost like Misk U. without the coffee!

Verdict: I like. I'm keeping my imp. I might not run out and buy a bottle this second, but I definitely want to experiment with this some more.

So sweet! And yet, almost smoky. Really love this one! It isn't foody in the slightest, thanks to the wood.

Kill-Devil made me happy - effectively killed the devils of my day! It's on the bottle wishlist for sure!

On me, Kill-Devil is just honey. Strong, sweet honey. I was hoping the oak would show too, but no luck. I'll age this a bit and see what happens.

It starts out quite boozy, then creamy, thick honey with a bit of smoke.

Delectable, and very layerable.

Dragon's Blood meet Kill Devil. :P

I'm not sure about this one. I absolutely love honey. I will try nearly any scent that contains it. I want to love this. Honey! Wood! Molasses!

Wet: Oh. My. Yum! Wood and honey. I want to freeze the scent at exactlt this point. It is so perfect and amazing.

Dry: Honey? Wood? Where did you go? I miss you! The sugar takes over and it becomes a fake, sweet smell on me. Much like Sugar Skull. I love sweet. I am not loving the sugar note.

Verdict: I will reapply and give it another shot, but if nothing changes I am going to pass on this one. Oh how I wish that were not the case!

Very yummy...... for about 20 minutes. Then it gets VERY plasticy on me. :P This is the third time I have tried it, and I get the same reaction every time.

Off to the swaps list....

This was very caramel/brown sugar heavy when I first applied. This has scaled back to a more burnt sugar kinda smell, and I get a honeyed sort of wood with a hint of molasses.

Foodier than I imagined. But interesting nonetheless.

Okay, I think the overriding note I get is the molasses. At first it was heavy on the caramel, with a whiff of booze, then it deepened to an almost burnt caramel. I like it, but I think an imp will be enough.

Firstly, am I the only one who keeps going to call this Kill Bill? :P

In the bottle – The wood and a touch of sweetness that sours like vinegar

Wet on me – Deep treacly molasses, but again with that acidic twinge and an overweening scent of bananas

Dry on me – Rich, deep molten sugar, caramelised to the point of burning, but not quite over the edge

Overall – I like the dry down a lot, not surprising as my favourite ever blend is Sugar Skull 04, but I’m not certain of the earlier stages. I may see how my imp ages before making a decision

In the bottle: rum and oakwood (which has a faintly herbal scent to my nose).

Wet: molasses and honey and a touch of white sugar (that would be the sugar cane).

Drydown: Sugar and oak.

If you like Sugar Skull (as I do), you will also like this, although the sweetness is drier.

In bottle/imp: Bitter, burned wood and caramel.

Immediately on skin: This is a very bitter, burned scent with an undercurrent of sugary sweetness. The bitterness smells like burned wood, but there’s also a herbal feel to this. Maybe sage? Then there’s the caramel/honey/butterscotch which is mixed in there too. Not pleasant on me at all…

After a little while: I think the burned scent I’m getting is supposed to be the molasses and oak wood, since it’s settled down. But without over analyzing this scent, I would describe it as a burned wood and herb scent with caramel poured over it.

Overall Impressions: I don’t enjoy this, if you couldn’t already tell. The notes smell bitter and burnt on me with a large amount of sugary, sweet caramel poured over the top. It’s slightly foody, but not overly so.

Kill Devil has the same dark molasses kick to it that Queen Alice does, only here it is showcased as Kill Devil is a relatively simple scent. Very, very sweet, but with that slightly dark, woody and bitter undertone that molasses has, especially when sniffed up close. This has a surprising amount of throw, and the throw is very different and more honied than when it's smelled up close on the skin.

This for me is not a caramel scent - I can't wear the buttery ones, Kill Devil is far more of a pure sugar scent. It has some similarities to Sugar Skull, but is it's dark brown scent cousin.

imp: a very dark sugar scent. the molasses is fore but the honey and sugar cane are not far behind.

wet: nice and boozy, the molasses is again the top note but everything else just falls into place and smells lovely on my skin.

dry: this is all dark and heavy sugars with a very faint smack of oak in the background. i'm leaning toward a bottle...

Despite the fact that it's inspired by rum punch, the Dreaded Rum was not in the list of ingredients. Unfortunately, something else that is -- maybe the molasses -- seems to have much the same effect. I immediately got that awful burnt-sugar note, plus an unpleasant harsh tang in the back of my throat. It never got quite bad enough to wash off, but it never changed either. This one's headed straight for the swap pile. :P

Kill-Devil

In the Imp: A sweeter Mad Sweeney.

Wet on the skin: It smells like I accidentally applied from my Sugar Skull bottle.

Dry: The sweetness has burned away, and it has left a very, very dry woody note with an undercurrent of honey. This would be lovely at the right time or for the right mood. I'll be keeping the imp, but I don't believe I'll be needing a bottle of this.

This is one of those that is so distinct that I can practically taste it. There is a very clear sugar-molasses mix over oak, and only after drydown do I get a touch of honey. This is really neat; not quite boozy but very indicative of such. It's nice and punchy.

As everyone says this is pure, thick honey with a hint of woodiness. Alas, the honey is just too much for me. Up for swap this goes.

This one and Eat Me were my first two GC loves; the first two I decided were bottle-worthy. I love my Kill-Devil.

This goes on my skin as thick, dark, sticky sugar. I get no burnt smell; it's just a fresh and crisp sugary sweetness on me. The sugar cane is very apparent, backed up by the thicker molasses.

After the wet phase, something sexy and murky (in a good way) comes poking its head out. It's not quite sugar, not quite musk, but very warm and sultry. This may be where some are getting the burning smell, but I get sexy, deep sweetness with a musky edge. This is where the oak comes out for me, and it just completes the scent. It's like someone took a fresh plank of oakwood and smeared this honey-sugar-molasses-sweet goodness on it.

Lasts hours on me, drying down into a come-hither sweet sexiness.

Edited by lostluckkitten

In the bottle: Nearly colourless pale yellow. At first, SUPER sweet, caramel-molasses, followed by floral honey and almost citrusy fresh sugar cane. A faint touch of grounding, woody oak.

Wet: Still bit too dark-heavy on the very sweet molasses note, but the other notes are more apparent, The honey is definitely vying for second place, and is a VERY true honey note, golden and rich. Sugar cane is very light, giving an almost aquatic freshness, and the oak is a dry, rustic hint.

Dry: That molasses has faded even more, and the honey has amped further - it's almost single note! It's definitely the strongest and most realistic honey I've yet smelled. It's like I'm DIPPED in honey. There's a fresh-herbal and slightly floral tone to it as well, a cleanness that is in part from the sugar cane I think. The oak is even lighter now, a faint woodiness.

Later: Some earthy patchouli has emerged and is mingling with the oak to produce a very woody feel. Still, this is quite sweet.THe honey has faded, and a brown-sugar note seems to have replaced the caramel-molasses, and the sugar cane holds as fresh note.

Summary: Sweet, grainy brown sugar and woody oak with lighter notes of true, golden honey, earthy patchouli, and faint whisps of herbal-fresh sugar cane and caramel-molasses. Quite a morpher, and fairly unisex - especially the mostly woody drydown. Good throw, decent lasting power.

It's just a bit too sugary for me, and the honey fades, which is such a shame as I loved the honey note in the initial dry stage.

This was a real surprise to me. It was a frimp in an order, and I always at least open and sniff all my frimps. This one smelled interesting right away, so I put some on, and, wow, I loved it! When I read the description, I was so surprised, because I would never have tried it, dismissing it as "too foody", since I'm not a fan of foody stuff -- or I wasn't, I should say.

This is sour and deep and I immediately ordered a bottle! I wear it pretty often because it has that deep, sour smell that I love, and to me it hardly seems foody at all.

This smells mostly like very sweet molasses to me, but not just that. On my skin, it has a sharpness to it that's not unlike herbal scents. It's not sort of sticky sweet smoothness -- it definitely has an edge. Almost like there's something green or reedy under there. I wouldn't say this is a foody scent, although it has some of those characteristics. It acts more like a floral scent on me, and I honestly can't describe or explain what I mean by that, except that it's a certain kind of floaty wispiness that I usually only get from florals. Kind of like a soft cloud. Very interesting scent.