Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

In the imp: Rum punch. Boozy sweet but not like pure sugar but more like fruit juice and rum

On my skin: Honeyed wood. The oak is very present and very much mixed with honey. All that boozy rum and juice I got in the imp is gone.

Dry: It is more oak than sweet but there is just a hint of honeyness lingering in the background.

Verdict: It is not at all what I expected but it is a good warm scent. The oak keeps it from being cloyingly sweet and the honey keeps it from being too oaky, dare I say too masculine. It is an imp I am glad I received with my order and one I will likely wear again.

In the imp: Sweet, foody honey and molasses

On my skin: Interesting. I'm getting coffee and honeysuckle now, as though the honey and molasses morphed into related items. I'm not getting the sugar cane, but I'm sure it's blending into the honey and molasses (especially the molasses - honestly, I think I've been getting brown sugar) It's not too sweet, though. Maybe the oakwood is taming the sweetness.

The throw is light honeysuckle on me. This is really nice, and I might be in for a bottle in the future, but not immediately. I'm giving it a 4 out of 5.

Wow, this is sweet sweet sweet in the imp! I get the honey and it almost smells like buttered rum to my nose. Luckily the wood steps in quickly and tames that sugar rush down some. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sweet foody blends but I felt like I was getting cavities just smelling it! It develops a sort of nuttiness, like pecans; perhaps my brain is parsing the molasses and brown sugar as pecan pie so it's making me smell pecans? It seems to develop more and more depth the longer it's on. It started as pure sugary goodness, then the wood made an appearance, then hints of nuts, and now I'm getting some citrus. The sugar is nearly gone and this is such a complex blend! I don't know if I need a bottle, but the imp is going in my collection for sure :D

First impression: Miskatonic University? Is that you??

After a few minutes: Yup, still reminds me very heavily of Miskatonic. I think it's the "Irish Coffee" note...because this smells very Irish Cream and HEAVILY foodie to me. Not unpleasant, but I don't usually like foodie scents unless they have a lot else non-foodie going on with them.

Dry: White flowers? Lilacs? To me it's got a hint of floral in there. Maybe this is the honey and oak coming through? But, I still get predominantly sweet Irish cream foodiness from this one.

Results: A pleasant scent, but not something I will personally wear. I may have kept the imp if I didn't already have Miskatonic U. This one I'll swap.

Edited by OneEyeAskew

Super super sweet, sticky and slightly red.

EDIT: new (unaged?) imp: Starts off with that same browned butter all foodie scents have on me, but dries down surprisingly well. The honey note in here is well behaved and a true honey, the molasses is brown and sugar and caramel-y and there's just enough oak wood to balance all the sweetness out and ground it, giving it a base that makes it perfume instead of just candy. A complex, grown up B&BW foodie scent.

Edited by delighted

I really, really like this, it's a fabulous happy, silly, summery beach scent, and I will definitely need more than one imp - very probably a full bottle!

The main impression on me is sweet boozy rum and bananas - happy drunken cocktail-slurping bananas! It's sweet but complex, and the banana is like real banana rather than artificial milkshake banana, which keeps it grounded. Such a compulsive sniffing scent, and the final faded drydown is just a soft, smoky sweetness. I bought lots of trial imps with this order, but this is the one that's really blown me away, I adore it, it makes me think of beaches and holidays, and I don't get enough of those! :wub3:

...yup. I think I'll be needing a bottle as soon as I have any money! :D

Wet - Holy sweet brown sugars, Batman! This one is pretty damn syrupy with a sugar punch to the face.

Dry - It mellows and the oak appears. The oak has a musty quality as though it's been sitting off in a dark, forgotten corner. It starts off with low throw of a mellow brown sugar sweetness. After 30 minutes it's a skin scent of slightly sweet, musty oak.

This one is not for me.

Wet: Suggary sugar!

Dry: That darn dusty note comes out. That happens sometimes on my skin with certain sweet scents. Boo! Wanted to like this.

I don't know why, but it really reminds me of Antikythera Mechanism HG, maybe it's the boozy sweetness + wood notes? Anyway, I really enjoy it, it's a stay-at-home comfort scent, that I think I will mostly wear during the colder months.

I read the reviews and expected a sugary, caramely brown sugar scent with a little booziness and wood.

Sadly I'm one of those for whom the combination of molasses and rum blends into something that smells a bit vinegary and pickled. Some people detect a fruitiness but to me it's a sourness that is not fruity or pleasant. More like something sweet has started to go off in an oak barrel. And that's right out of the bottle as well, so I know it's not due to skin chemistry.

Assuming (and hoping) it's my nose being over-sensitive with the molass and rum combination. I'm going to let it sit a few months and hopefully that vinegary note goes away cos projection and lasting power are great on this one.

I smell the sugared molasses from this as soon as I apply it, even well away from my face, and then the woody oak. But up close, it's the honey that's strongest at first. I think of pockets of woods between Deep South plantations.

Dried, this is very, very sweet. I still smell the oak, but want more to balance the intense sugar of the other notes.

Oh no. This is not for me. sweet, buttery, lime, cake-y... I don't want to put this on my skin but here goes...
And yep, there's the woodsy scents! This seems to save it for me a bit actually ...but this is going on my swapslist.

I feel like I get something really different from this then other reviews I've read.

I smell the sugar cane, but I smell the green fibrous parts along with the sugar. Giving it just a hint of sweet green plant. I also get the molasses, while it adds a dark burnt sugar type smell it's not over powering at all. And then I get the oak, which works as a perfect subtle woody base for all of this. So while I can smell all the notes apart they work beautifully together. It reminds me walking outside in Louisiana in the late spring. It's sugary sweet but deep and woody and green all at the same time.

Imp: Get an unusual boozy, coffee, syrupy scent from the vial. Think my nose is confusing the molasses with coffee here.

On Skin: Ah, dammit. This must have something citrussy stashed in it because it's doing that weird sherbert thing that ruined Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat and Akuma for me :( My money's on lime.

If I waft it about I get the boozy syrup others do but just don't think I can cope with the fizzy, artificial thing that's happening close up. Can smell something a bit yeasty in there too now. Nope my skin is ruining this comprehensively. Oh well.

I smell oak and honey in this more than molasses, but there's definitely a hint of it in the background. It's thick and syrupy, somehow without being overly sweet. The wood is very present on my skin, lending it a sharpness that I enjoy but not on myself. I don't think I would wear it much--it's the first gourmand I've ever tried that leans masculine. If you don't like overly-sweet foodie scents, this is the gourmand for you!

Sugar cane or raw sugar in the bottle and on application. There's a wee bit of honey as it dries, which turns slightly floral, in a sickly-sweet sort of way. Practically no throw on this at all. No rum, no oak (for which I'm grateful).

Horrible on me. Just awful. Not that I loved it in the imp; it reminded me of this awful artificial hot buttered rum paste my parents used to keep in our refrigerator in the 70s, that you mixed with rum and hot water. Yes, I'm that old.. Sicky sweet, no woods at all. Had to scrub off within 2-3 minutes.

ETA Retesting another imp I was frimped because those notes should be reasonably good on me. And I don't know what was wrong with imp #1 or my skin chemistry that day, but tonight Kill-Devil is playing nice. I'm still not getting a lot of woods, and it's a sweeter scent than I would normally wear, but I'm not perceiving anything artificial and not running to scrub it off. It's quite pleasant, actually. Fresh sugar cane and honey.

Edited by Lucchesa

This is wonderful. Dark, rich and sweet, but with enough of a woody note to stop it from being cloying. It's not much of a morpher on me; it's deep sweet wood and honey all the way. It's wonderfully long lasting, though.

I put this one on this morning to test without looking at the notes (It was a frimp), and I'm super surprised to find it has honey in it as honey is a total death note for me

I'm thinking it must be the molasses, it must neutralize the part of the honey that goes funky on my skin

The opening is super sweet and rather foodie, so not my thing but the middle and the dry down are nice. I think I"ll enjoy using the imp but pass on purchasing a whole bottle

Edited by Spaztic

Kill Devil- where have you been all my life?

I got this as a frimp from The Lab and Im just really, really in love. I love rum in most of its forms, particularly Rum Punches and Hot Buttered Rum. I feel Kill Devil really hits it home by being evocative of both my favorite rum drinks without being overly foody.

In the imp: dark rum, oleo saccarum (a sugar mixture made with lemon peel and turbonado sugar), and something akin to sweet cream. Im in for the skin test.

Wet: interesting-the sugarcane is really prominent here, and theres a floral note thats got me unimpressed. Its like strong honeysuckle and while Im not opposed, Im not a fan at this stage. Thank goodness that doesnt last long, and the molasses starts to make a show. The citrusy note is still present, but not as intense as in the imp. I like this!

Dry: Ive never smelled anything like this and I want it always. The oak is perfection and anchors all that sweetness with some wood and baking spice/black pepper notes.. Theres a slightly floral note- heather and honeysuckle. Perhaps thats the combo of the honey and sugar cane, and I even get a little bit of sugarcane funk. That cream note in the imp comes through and its like the idea of butter or cream without malolactic overkill. Yes. So much yes.

This might be one of my new faves- Ill definitely use the imp and get a bottle.

Edited by strick9

In the imp: Super sweet! I'm only getting the sweet notes from the imp. The molasses and the sugar cane are the strongest notes to my nose.

Wet: I can smell all of the notes on my skin. This is a warm, sweet, scent, with the molasses, sugar cane, and honey being the most prominent notes on me. If the oak is here, it is content to hide in the background, which is okay with me, since it can sometimes be sharp and cologne-like on my skin.

Dry: Now the sugar cane reigns. The molasses has calmed down, and the honey has come out more. I'm reminded of another scent – perhaps Give Me Thy Breath, My Sister? Yes, I think that's it, with its honeyed cotton candy note. Yaaaaaaaas.

After a while, the molasses note reasserts itself so that it becomes mostly molasses and sugar cane again. The oak note is present now, but it just plays a role in the background.

Verdict: Why didn't I try this before? It was probably the oak note that was listed that made me refrain from doing so, but this isn't a woody scent on me at all. I'm not sure that I need a bottle, but I'm definitely keeping my imp.

In the bottle: Concentrated mixture of molasses and honey stowed somewhere dark and cool (sweet but not syrupy sweet.)

Wet: Lots of honey and molasses - maybe a touch of the sugar cane. It reminds me a little of those honey sticks you find at various food shops.

Warm up: The sugar is getting a little sweeter, like it's melting a bit. Imagine cold, thick honey and molasses tossed into a sauce pot and turned on low. As it warms it loosens, and the sugars melt a bit and get a touch sweeter.

Drydown: The sweet smell starts being taken over by the oakwood - the oakwood scent actually reminds me a lot of the second phase of Miskantonic on me. But where that scent goes all the way old paper/ink smell, this never fully looses the sweet of the other notes. Honestly, this is what I imagine the wood of an oakwood barrel would smell like if you stored this sweet concoction in it, emptied it, tried to clean it, and then gave up because it's no use trying to scrub that out.

Throw: This one has low throw on me. It's a nice, close to the skin scent. I'll be curious to see how this one ages.

In the imp: Caramelized brown sugar. 

On my skin:

Wet, it still wants to smell like caramelized brown sugar, though the honey is quick to make itself known. It actually doesn't take long for this to become mainly sugar cane and honey on my skin. Though it's still very sweet, it loses the caramelized, almost burny note that it had when wet.

After about half an hour, the oak also becomes discernible, though just enough to be a grounding note for all the sweet. 

It's actually pleasant enough on me, though it's potentially cloying enough as to be a cooler weather scent -- and I have cooler weather scents with more complexity already.