Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

This is defintely sweet, it kind of has a sugary molasses scent, but made more delicious by the honey. My husband makes this incredible thing called Sugar Pie which is brown sugar and corn syrup, cinnamon and this kind of reminds me of that pie.

Sugar candy, yes there is the molasses! A little smoky, that must be the oak, and I can definitely sell the rum. And it's got honey, which works for me!

Even if there isn't lime here, it definitely smells like lime. It's very sweet, tangy and tropical to my nose. I like it, but I'm still deciding if it's a "me" scent.

Maybe too sweet, but right now I like this. The oak adds a deepness to all the sweetners. However, like many sugar and/or honey blends, this starts to go powdery on drydown.

Wow, I love this one. It's mostly molasses with a woodsy background. It's definitely sweet, but not in an innocent, teeny-bopper way - it's dark and almost boozy, like bourbon or something, and a little bit dirty. I'll be needing a 5ml of this for sure!

This came as a frimp in my first order.

In imp: brown sugar molasses, very very sweet and maybe some green, could be the oakwood?

On wet: dark sugary slightly lemony hint of booze as if I had spilled a very potent drink on myself

drying down: now I didn't think I would like this at all so I've put off testing it for a long time - the thing is I'm not attracted to overly sweet/overly foody but once on this turns into something else entirely - it's still sweet but it’s a dark, deep rich sweet. And, while it has nothing at all in common with voodoo for some reason this reminds me of voodoo's wilder, more abandoned and very badly behaved little sister.

wear to: late night assignation on a beach complete with cosy campfire

overall: Kill-Devil is all woody, dark, sweetness. It's very wearable and makes me happy in a reckless but powerful kind of way - at the rate I have been reaching for my imp I will be needing a bottle soon.

Kill-Devil

On: Pretty and sweet. Not foody, which is good.

3 hours in: Sweet and earthy. Really pretty.

5 hours in: So pretty. I really like this a lot. Sweet and a bit heavy, but not syrupy or overwhelming.

Overall: This is one of those oils that I think might be nice and find myself sniffing over and over again. Definitely bottle-worthy.

In vial: Molasses, for sure. Heavy, syrupy & sweet.

Wet: The molasses tang seems quite lemony at this point. Very sugary & not foody exactly, but unmistakeably sweet. A little goes a long way.

Dry: The lemonish bit is much lighter, leaving the sense of an antique oaken bartop, worn smooth & slick from constant use, with aged casks of rum stacked nearby. It's definitely more wearable than I thought from the listed notes! It's not as heavy as it seemed in the vial & wet stage either- it's like a sticky dusting of dark brown sugar & lemon across my skin.

Verdict: In the wet stage especially, to my nose this could be our beloved Dorian's elder brother who went off to sea a sailor, but returned a pirate. He's mysterious, brooding, & dark but just as enigmatic.

This actually spurred me to test them side by side- the similarities and differences are quite striking! Dorian is lighter, more gentleman like, suave, passionate, all well-tended herb gardens & afternoon trysts with ladies during tea. Kill-Devil is darker, free from societal pressures, haunted by the things he's seen whilst standing on the weathered oaken deck of a pirate ship, seeking to forget them during sweltering nights spent with a different woman in every port.

For everyday wear, I much prefer Dorian, & I couldn't really justify having a bottle of both. But I think I will keep an imp of Kill-Devil around for when Dorian needs to loosen up a bit. I thought Dorian would KO Kill-Devil no contest, but K-D held his own, & I may even have a little crush :wub:

Edited by braybrigade

It smells ridiculously sweet in the imp. I have an insane urge to taste the stuff, but I know better!

Wet on skin though it has zero throw on me. I have to press my nose right to my wrist, and that doesn't really give off much. Same for drydown

This would be so wonderful, but my skin seems to absorb all the smell, or I'm just not sensitive to it.

This was positively nauseating in the imp, like a blackened rotten banana. I didn't smell anything else, but perhaps the combination of oak, sugar and molasses = banana, which is a note I dislike. I couldn't bear to skin test. :(

This was a frimp from the Lab. Was pleased to get it, as I had some notion that I like rummy, sugary scents.

In the imp -- sweet butter rum

Wet -- a blend of sugars and rum extract, rather than actual rum

Dry -- the sweetness takes on a caramelized, slightly smoky or burned edge, perhaps from the oak. It's still very sweet and rummy, and that smokiness makes it less cloying. However, I seem to be coming to the conclusion that none of these sugar-and-rum scents really appeal to me as perfumes. Will swap.

Wet - Huh. This is much cleaner than I had expected. The wood smells fresh and herbal, and the honey and sugar add brightness and sweetness. I was expecting a rich, brown fragrance, but instead this is more of a sweet, light green scent.

As it dries it's staying pretty much the same.

Kill-Devil is not at all what I expected from the listed notes, but I think I like it. It's fresh without smelling like soap, which is nice, and the sweetness isn't very foodie.

First on, I was pleasantly surprised, as it smelled so vile in the imp. On my skin, there was a lovely light lemon note, riding atop molasses.

Near drydown: Horrible again. The lemon turned sharp, and didn't mix well AT ALL with the heavy sweetness underneath.

Far drydown: Oak and molasses. Not too bad, but DH ran into the room to ask me if I smelled burning rubber. As he came closer, he said ''Oh, it's your perfume''.

My skin does not like booze or sugar notes so here goes!

Imp: A sweet, syrupy, but interesting smell. Wood and thick sugar and rum and a bit of dark molasses and some lemon. It's actually quite nice if a bit strong.

Wet: A gently wafting honey touched with citrus (lemon? lime?) and warm oakwood, like a log that's been left to dry in the sun. A bit of rum and molasses as well, but it's not so boozy I can't wear it. Smells like a sophisticated, spicy molasses cookie. The throw is a sweetly spiced butter rum with a heavy dose of sugar, but it's not sour on me like most booze notes are.

Dry: Well I am impressed as hell that this worked on me! The drydown is a sweet honey-wood with touches of molasses, sugar, citrus and rum. I'm still not sure I'd wear it very much but I have to give this one props, it doesn't go nasty or overwhelming on my skin like so many of its brethren in the same category. I'll probably hang on to this for when I want to smell warm and festive!

At first this is all sweet and caramel-y on me but as it dries down the sweetness fades until, weirdly, it smells almost exactly like Miskatonic University. I think it must be oak, since that seems like the only note they have in common. Unfortunately, on me it's kind of sour and I'm not very fond of it. I wish it had stayed sugary, but the oak seems to eat up all the other notes. Boo.

In the imp: Sweet, but also very boozy. Reminds me a lot of Sugar Skull, without the fruit.

On skin, wet: Oh yeah, this is a less-fruity Sugar Skull on me. I don't know which of BPAL's sugary notes turns to booze on me, but it's got to be one of the ones in this.

On skin, dry: Same.

After an hour: Woodier, a bit smoky and spicy, but still very boozy. It's nice, but not unique enough.

This is like sugar skull meets a lime cocktail.

I adored sugar skull, but for some crazy reason I sold it a while back, regrettable decision!

I was hoping this would be a lot like sugar skull, but its much more boozy and a little fruity.

My skin amped sugar skull like craaazy which I loved, but this dissapears within minutes.

Over all, it's not bad, just not what I had hoped for.

I'd give it 3/5

Received this as a frimp from the ever awesome Catalyst! :)

In the imp I liked it - sugar sweet with thick honey, and just a touch of wood. (Made me want toast with some honey slathered on it.) Unfortunately it looks like Kill-Devil doesn't like me very much at all: going on wet the honey overpowers everything and comes on much too strongly, and once dried the honey becomes sickly sweet, almost medicinal, like cheap honey lozenges. Bleh.

In the Imp (ITI): I can smell the oak and the sugar/molasses, but it ends up reading like wood and cough syrup to me.

Wet: The molasses is much stronger on my skin, but the oak is giving it a slightly blue scent, as in it is colder and less warm than I expected.

Dry: After half a say, I get slightly candied molasses. I like this much better dried and with some time to settle down.

in bottle: deep molasses/butterscotch/caramel/honey sweetness, with a bit of a bite

on skin: RUM with a twist of something green, lemon balm almost. Odd.

Drydown: This is definitely rum. I have written in my notes, "Elegba's baby", and I agree.

Verdict: I'll have to try this again to really discern it from Elegba in my mind, but this is good for a sticky sweet, possibly pirate-influenced vibe.

Initially, very sweet molasses. It turns spicy and sweet, reminiscent of cinnamon but more floral. The wood + honey combination is wonderful. But it keeps morphing to this weird rank candy smell. Like a combination of spoiled meat and caramel.

Something about this freaks out on my skin. Too bad, I do love molasses :(

Yummy!!! This is a very sweet dark Rum with hints of honey. Dries down to a more honey scent on me with memories of the Rum come through as a ghost. Very nice throw and staying power. I think this would marry nicely with All Night Long....going to have to test it out.

Love Kill Devil. I don't know if it actually kills devils, but I put some in an atomizer with some perfumer's alcohol, and it is the perfect layer for other vanilla/foody/boozy things.

Molasses and sugar. Rum. Very nice.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Sweet and boozy. And I mean really sweet.

Wet: Heady, boozy, sugary sweetness.

Dry: As it dries, the honey emerges more and more. The oak makes it less sugary-sweet. I dabbed on some more of this about four hours after the first application, and then it went much more quickly to oak and honey. It gave me the mental image of oak barrels full of honey.

Though this is definitely sweet, Kill-Devil is so light on my skin that it’s not cloying. The oak does make this feel appropriate for this time of year when leaves are falling, though it’s oak wood and not oak leaves.