Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

I would describe this as O meets Sugar Skull and then scares the fruits away. I love the Sugar Skull side of the equation, the sweet syrupy smell, but unfortunately honey (and thus O) are not favorites of mine. Upon drydown the honey note that smells like stale sex on my skin vanishes some, and the more floral note of honey comes out.

I don't get the oak wood, but the rest of the notes are definitely present.

This is a sweet, semi-foody blend that would be great for those that like O, or BPAL's honey note in general.

Update - after having this one on for about an hour, it turns into an awesome scent on me, the honey fades away and it's almost straight up molasses and sugar. Edited by Midnight Aeval

Holy moly. You know the smell of burnt sugar when you are trying to make a creme brulee and you screw it up? This is Kill-Devil. Gets stronger and more acrid as the day goes on. Ew.

In Vial: Sweet foody plus vinegar - strange

Wet: Sweet sugared nuts. This is Christmas foody smelling to me. More clearly now this is smelling like roasted pecans. A small hint of carmel sweetness and lemon, but more along the lines of lemongrass rather than a citrus lemon scent.

This starts out very brown sugary, but as it dries, the overt sugar-ness burns off and I'm left with a honey and light, juicy sugar cane underscored by a hint of dark molasses. The oak wood is smooth and polished, much like in Miskatonic U, and it balances out the sweet notes very well. It's surprisingly light and subtle once dry, and while the sugar gives it a gourmand effect, I wouldn't call this foody.

Overall, it reminds me a lot of Miskatonic U, only without the coffee and cream.

This was a free imp in my last order.

In the vial: Molasses. Plain and simple.

Wet on skin: Very thick and sweet in a rather smothering way. It smells like a thick, gooey molasses spread.

Drydown: Sweetness is still present, but I'm getting that sharp oak wood smell. Smells like an old wooden trunk full of musty bottles of honey, molasses and other assorted sweet syrupy confections.

Conclusion: Not for me. I'm not surprised though, sugary scents have never been my thing, nor have woodsy scents...but I wasn't really expecting to like this one anyway, so no big loss.

In The Bottle

Sour, vinegary molasses

On Application

The vinegar note evaporates quickly to leave a spicey honey/molasses scent - rich and not too sweet.

Dry Down

Dries down to a slightly spicey brown sugar scent. Nice.

Rating (0-5)

On and wet this is a very sticky, overly-sweet molasses. I was about to wash it off when it suddenly lightened, getting that citrus note that several reviewers have mentioned. Dry, Kill-Devil has become a pleasant brown sugar sort of scent, slightly spiced but not burnt. I like the dry stage, but its awfully faint and the too-sweet wet phase makes me feel a bit ill. I won't need a bottle, but I'll keep the imp around to play with.

this one made me choke when i first sniffed it haha. a little bit stronger than i was anticipating :P in the imp i can definitely smell the molasses and honey. as it's drying now the oak wood is coming out more. as it was wet i really wasn't liking it but now that it's drying more it's warming up to me. definitely won't be buying a bottle of this one though :D

on wet strong sweet syrup.

dry- brown sugar spice

overall this does ok on my skin. i won't be getting a bottle, the imp is pletty. this might make a good room scent.

Fresh from lab, on my skin it smelled like sweet peppery wet wood. After few months, it is still wet wood with a hint of burnt sugar, no peppery stuff. :P

My skin hates it.

This is a freshly made oak box, filled with sugar cane shavings dribbled with molasses and honey. This is exactly what this is.

It's tasty!

Drying, it is blending more into a full, sweet, woody, scent where the individual notes aren't as apparent. It's also becoming lighter...and, very sadly, fainter.

It has potential, but, I'll have to try a few times and see how it lasts on me.

In the vial: Sweet, like some kind of syrup. My first impression is artificial cherry.

Wet: This is reminding me of the scented pencils my teachers gave away to people when they made an A on a test. Whoa sweet.

Dry: I still smell something like artificial chocolate and something fruity. It reminds me of Vice, but only a little bit. I don't think I like this very much because the sweetness is through the roof, but it doesn't really smell like much of anything that I can identify. I really like O, which a lot of people have been comparing this to, but O is a little more down to earth than this. O is warm and comforting. I do understand the comparison to Sugar Skull. I pulled out Sugar Skull 04 just now to compare. Sugar Skull has a strong fruit note, while Kill-Devil is more vague in its fruitiness.

If you really love Sugar Skull, you should try Kill Devil.

I got this as a frimp last week. It's the sort of scent I'd probably never order, since I'm not one for foody or sweet scents. But...this is really nice. It smells sweet, but in a deep, rich, womanly way. A skin scent, and very sexy.

In imp: fruity rum - although not tropical like the Tiki scents.

Wet on skin: similar to Sugar Skull, but more syrupy and fruity, and also a bit buttery.

Dry on skin: buttery rum caramel.

This starts off smelling a little more boozy than Sugar Skull, but they both dry down to something very similar on my skin. Sugar Skull is light at first, but they both end up smelling like caramelised sugar. On me this is a very good thing. :P I'll probably get a bottle of this when I've used up my 5ml of Sugar Skull, nice to know that there's a good GC equivalent.

wet: this smells familiar. it smells like sugar skull mated with something syrupy and woodsy.

i think the honey is adding something sharp and sour to the mix.

dry: still smells the same except its giving me a headache.

This was a very thick and sugary scent. The honey and molasses almost knock you out into a sugar coma! The oak isn't enough to temper this for me. Foodies would probably enjoy this blend.

Ooooo, this is delicious in the imp! Rich molasses and super sweet sugar cane over a hint of rich woods! Gorgeous!

Holy crap, this is AMAZING! O_O Sometimes wood is overwhelming for me, but in this case, it keeps the blend from being too sickly sweet. Hopefully the wood won't amp too much as this dries down completely, but on initial application it is just the right amount? You know what this reminds me of? Sugar Skull, but replace the slight fruitiness of the Sugar Skull with oak wood. *nod* Yep, that's just what this is to me!

If I didn't have Sugar Skull, I could see myself snatching up a bottle of this-but I prefer the fruitiness of SS to Kill-Devil's woody undertones, but if you are jonesing for a slightly rougher, earthier Sugar Skull you have to check this out!

In the imp: Mmmm, something sugary and deep, balanced out by the freshness of the oak.

On, wet: Mostly oak with the faintest touch of molasses.

On, dry: This is delicious. Super sweet honey and a touch of light-colored wood -- a very golden scent. I like it a lot.

Imp: Sweet...sweet...sweet...wood.

Wet: Sweet wood with a hint at something salty and something a little musty.

Dry: It really mellows and the molasses is recognizable. For me it would need a little something else to make it more feminine since the sultriness doesn't come out on my skin. It brings to mind polished wood.

Edited by isisonearth

Imp: Caramel

Wet: Caramel with lemons.

Drydown: This is caramel and lemon. I with I could smell molasses. My nose and skin aren't cooperating.

Further Drydown: It's becoming waxy/oily. Not good.

Overall: I'm bummed that my skin ruined this blend. It sounded rich and delicious. :cry:

Very simply this is super sweet, thick brown sugar/molasses with maybe a little woody touch. I get the comparison to Sugar Skull but this is a bit different, heavier and woody. While I can wear SS this is actually too much for me. Molasses smell great but not ON me.

Before reading the description, I thought it smelled like burnt sugar and cheap potpourri...but I think the honey-wood combination is what's smelling like that on me. It's REALLY strong on me, and such an odd scent...I get the Sugar Skull references, but Sugar Skull is sweet and fairly light on me, while this is heavy and has such a smoky texture to the scent. I should love this, but I don't.

in the bottle and wet on me, this smacks of Sugar Skull and rum. Wooooo sweetness.

It calms down quickly though... still sweet, but now it smells cool in a way, kinda mentholated. That sounds gross but it really isn't.

Oak is the perfect grounding note for this blend. I wouldn't normally choose such a sweet scent but the woody note ties everything together in a great way, and the throw isn't so strong that I will get sick of it.

I found all of the Tiki Bar scents to be too boozy and cloying for me, but Kill-Devil is a winner. I can very easily see myself wearing this in the summer.

In the imp: It smells... very much like alcohol.

On my skin: This one makes me want to howl at the moon. Huh! It smells like pure sugar and dark nights. A little alcoholic, but mostly it smells of honey and sugar cane.