Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bettybaker

Plunder

The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

This smells like cinnamon tea! Cinnamon and spices and clove. Gah, whoa spicy clovey tea...damn I even get the peppercorn in there O_o It's maybe a bit TOO spicy actually-I have other cinnamon blends I like, and this one isn't quite as awesome as some of my favorites (Clemence is like, my ultimate spicy tea scent!).

Overall, I liked this scent a lot-it's strong, has a good throw, and doesn't fade superfast. As it dries down the woodsiness comes out more and grounds the blend. If the description of this one calls to you, you have to check it out-a lovely spice mix blend-though not one of the most unique blends I have tried in this vein.

Whoo hooo! After a good six-in-a-row misses from the imp shoe box o' doom, it was nice to pull out Plunder today!! It's lovely cinnamon-y goodness, rounded out with warm spices and what must be the tea. Someone else mentioned spiced potpourri and I'd have to agree. Doesn't last nearly long enough, though!

Please allow me to nom on myself. This smells like chai on me, with no milk or sugar. Just tea and spices. Mmmm. I'll love this when I have a cold. It's so bracing. I could really imagine this being hidden away on a pirate ship, down in the belly of the ship, in a trunk among the dusty wood.

I wish I loved pepper and tobacco as much as they seem to love me. The sandalwood and other notes lighten it somewhat, but it still isn't enough for me to love this.

Unlike most of the reviews, I don't get much/any cinnamon out of it. I think my chemistry eats up all the cinnamon very quickly. Instead I get a lovely dry woody/slightly spicy scent out of it. Exactly what I would imagine a ship full of pirate goods would smell like-no one scent stands out-it all blends together and leaves an impression of spices.

Unfortunately for me, it's very strong when I put it on, but fades quickly. An hour later and there's just a dusting of spices left and within 3 hours there's nothing left. I'll be trying some of the hints to make it last longer, because I do really like it.

The lab must have known I would adore their piratey scents...got both this and Ile de la Tortue as frimps today, and they are both fantastic (and rather opposite of one another).

Warm cinnamon spice and tea. Somehow simultaneously sexy and homey...I think because it reminds me of Chai tea? Yet another 5ml to add to my list.

In vial: wonderfully warm and spicy, like when you put your nose into the bins in a speciality tea shop that has whole bits of spice in with huge, chunky tea leaves! I am very reluctant to put this on my sensitive skin, though.

Wet on skin: immediately it becomes sharper, yet the spice is extremely dry and dusty - straight from the jars in the spice rack. There's something almost vetiver-y here too.

Dry on skin: dry tea and spices. A little redness, but no welts. This might be fun to layer with something else.

This is similar to Port-Au-Prince on me, and goes a bit soapy like that blend did-- I think it must be the clove. But here the sandalwood provides a nice warm base for the spice, so it's not quite as disappointingly thin and dry as Port-Au-Prince was.

Unfortunately, spice scents always seem to be faint and short-lived on me, so even though they always sound wonderful, they're just not that great on my skin. :/

Plunder

In Imp:

I'm getting a "clean tea" sensation from the bottle, with a dry, spicy aftersmell. The initial "clean" scent is very green. The sandalwood is very balancing.

Wet, on skin:

A fisherman has stolen me and rolled me in spices, and he's standing over me all sea-infused. A couple of seconds go by and the saltiness fades. The spices smell like they're wrapped in wet, green leaves. I wonder why this doesn't smell dry and spicy on me?

Dry, on skin:

Ahhhh. Dry at last. Cinnamon and cassia in the dusty forefront - peppercorn tingling in the background. The sandalwood is steady, earthy base.

Later:

Spices mellowed by warm sandalwood, which brings down the dust levels and makes me think of warm spiced wood.

Verdict:

I love it. Bottle-worthy.

Edited by malaliath

I love the smell of chai tea and was hoping this would come close. I am not disappointed; this is the scent of spicy chai tea on me.

Now, I love Bengal, it's cinnamon tea with honey on me. However, I tend to amp the honey in Bengal which sometimes makes it too sweet and cloying. The Lion is only cinnamon, dry, hot cinnamon on me. This, however is perfect. A well blended mix of exotic spices, just as I had hoped for. It's sweeter than I expected and the cinnamon behaves very nicely towards the other spices. Once fully dry, there's a lovely warm, smooth glow to this scent.

Medium throw and staying power.

Spice heaven. A new favorite. :wub2:

Edited by Maia

In the imp: Supa' Spicy! Cinnamon, specifically.

On wet: Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon...with just a *hint* of tea.

Drydown: Mmm...still predominantly cinnamon-yum, but the sweet, grounding scent of sandalwood has finally emerged. It takes a few minutes, but clove shows up next, followed by nutmeg, then the vaguely sweetish allspice. Not getting tobacco or peppercorn - and even the tea seems to have been overshadowed by the main spices - but I'm sure they're all in there, adding their deliciousness to the mix. :yum:

Overall: This is one of the most fab spice scents I've ever encountered. It's dry, intense, wonderfully warm, authentic, and all together wearable - no generic candle or potpourri smell going on over here! I can see this being worn all by itself on cold days, or layered under something else to kick up the heat a notch. Excellent addition to the spicy love line-up. 4/5

Smells just like cinnamony tea leaf blend, or walking into a tea and/or spice shop at the market; warm, spicy, and sweet. More dry tea leaf than brewed tea. It's predominantly spicy, but I'm also getting a bit of green woodsiness from it. I can detect the peppercorn more as it dries. It never really becomes a dominant note, but gives the blend an interesting bite.

In the Imp: Clove, very much like a cookie

Wet: clove and wooden, deepening as time progresses. It also slowly grows a distinct dry-quality to it.

Drydown: MMM it's a little like All Night Long but with much more complexity to the notes. I imagine this could be quite a fire-lighter though, if you know what I mean ~_^ It's got an almost buttery feel to the otherwise dry, woodsy and spicy notes. It's a little on the masculine side but not too much so.

Dry: I agree with the person that compared this to tea. This also smells like a blend that will probably disappate over a long period of time from my skin.

Conclusion: Best as a room scent or in something, soap, the like. I wonder how this would go when paired with a leather scent.

this was in the trade pile and i'm not sure why since i apparently never got around to even reviewing it.

imp: whoa, chai. really strong black chai. i rarely am ever actually able to tell what a blend will smell like from the imp, but this is definitely chai. this was recommended to me based off of a search for a certain spiced scent from another company and i can see why.

wet- all chai all the time. actually though it reminds me more of clove tobacco but without the tobacco. i'm starting to amp the pepper too.

dried- chai, but it's fading fast. this one doesn't have the much staying power on me but i'm hoping it's one of those weird ones that seems like it's fading but isn't. for some reason i'm trying to convince myself that there's something really sweet in here too but only from a distance.

i like this one but it's going to have to be layered with something else. i wish it were much stronger on me.

This was a free imp from the lab that unfortunately just didn't work out for me. In the imp, it smelled unappealing. On my skin, it was like a mixture of Big Red cinnamon gum and the petroleum jelly that you get in little yellow tubes at the drug store to use as chapstick. :ack:

Frimp from the lab! Inside the imp, lots of cinnamon, clove and allspice. On my skin, the cinnamon is quite strong, and as it dries becomes even stronger. I want the tea leaf! I want the sandalwood! I want the tobacco! Alas. Nothing. My stupid amping skin. However, the nice thing about it is that this isn't air freshener, artificial cinnamon - this is the real deal. So if you like earthy, authentic cinnamon with some depth to it, you'll love this.

An aquatic woodsy scent with a boatload of spices inside. I am also one who wanted to try this after the many references to chai tea. While it's a beauitful scent, it's not exactly what i was looking for. The sandalwood is dry and dusty, and the spices almost become too sweet. It's just not coming together with my skin chemistry, even though all the notes are winners for me.

I bought a 5ml bottle of this on recommendations from people in my introduction post and I'm glad I did! I love it.

In the bottle: Cinnamon stick with cloves

Wet on skin: Cinnamon stick with cloves and maybe some sandalwood?

Dry on skin: Now I'm getting Market Spice Tea. I love Market Spice Tea! Strong, warm and scrumptious.

I accidentally layered this with Yule Cat and made me love them both more when put together.

Verdict: I'm glad I got a bottle!

Wet- the scent of an open tea box

Dry- cinnamon tea, soft dry dusty cinnamon,not strong overpowering artificial cinnamon. This gets sweeter and softer.

Overall - I really like this and need to search out more. Many thanks to bheansidhe for the frimp.

On the skin: Hello, cinnamon. Wow, this is a peppery cinnamon. Eeep, this one is too much for me.

In the Imp: Cinnamon. Not surprised since it usually overwhelms everything else in blends until it settles down.

Wet: So many spices that any one thing is hard to pick out. The cinnamon is still prominent, and can definitely pick up the warm clove underneath it, and maybe a bit of the calming sandalwood.

Dry: It's a very holiday sort of scent, cinnamon is still the main factor and the allspice, so it's kind of like a cup of warm spiced tea. Not very pirate-like at all. And sort of like those overwhelming candle stores with a huge mixture of scents all thrown into one area, which I suppose is suiting for pile of trade goods.

Verdict: It's all right, but there was nothing really special or striking for me about this scent. I'm not big on note overload and it seemed a bit "unorganized" in that there wasn't a uniting theme aside from stirring up a big pot of spices.

In imp (and in the package, as one of the two imps I ordered of it broke): candy cinnamon or other spice

Wet on skin: Pepper, tea, clove, allspice. Darker, less sweet, and less realistic-dry than Bengal.

Dry: Sandalwood is coming out, otherwise mostly the same. Sort of an odd "clean" undertone, but that could be me anticipating an undertone, not finding one, and smelling the skin of my wrists.

I prefer Bengal for spicy scents; it's richer and doesn't fade as quickly.

Edited by reconditarmonia

In the vial - Ginger tea! It's like the backroom of some mysterious Victorian tearoom packed high with wooden crates and jars of aromatic tealeaves.

Wet on the skin - Ohhhh, this is GOOD. Dry, dusty spices and the bite of pepper with warm woods. It has a sharpness to it and an almost strongent quality along with the spices, which I imagine is the tea leaf.

Next stages and dry down- The tea note remains the strongest as the scent develops, but this is a really well rounded blend with all the notes blending togther into a rich, dusky whole. It fades a little fast, though. No problem, next time I'll just wear more of it!

If you like this, try - Saw Scaled Viper, Al Shairan