Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bettybaker

Plunder

The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

I agree that this smells like Bengal minus the honey. Bengal was mega sweet on me, but Plunder is nice and dry. Edited by anardana

Dry, dry, dry spices! This smells like cinnamon sticks and allspice. It's not a sweet cinnamon at all (it actually reminds me a bit of Three Witches, with that hot, dry peppery smell). A yummy spice-rack blend. The presence of cinnamon AND cassia means I don't think I could truly wear this on my skin but it would make an amazing room scent. Plunder atmospheric spray, anyone?

YUMMY!!!! I love me some spices, and some tea, so I of course HAD to try this one eventually.

Wet: This is all cassia and cinnamon bark. I like those scents, so it's no problem, but I hope the other notes show up as it dries!

Dry: This is still pretty strong on the cinnamon/cassia front, but the longer it warms up the more I can smell the other notes. NUTMEG! :P Nutmeg is my favorite smell ever, and I really wish the lab used it prominently in more blends. The other notes all blend together in the background really. The tobacco doesn't pop out, which is good because it's usually a "meh" scent for me.

Overall, this is yummy spices and no sugar, which is awesome. Too often spices get tossed into sugary foody blends that I won't wear. I still don't know how often I'll wear it out of my other favorite spicy scents. If you liked this though, you owe it to yourself to try Bengal and Three Witches; they are in a similar vein.

OMG, I have no words. This is the perfect spicy blend for me. I have always looooved clove and cinnamon. On me this has an almost clove cig. scent, but without so much of the tobacco. It has a touch of sweetness w/out being foody. I am absolutely in love! :P

It does tend to stay fairly close to skin, so I think I'll wear it on my skin and in my locket. It's also great to layer with when you have a scent that needs some extra spice.

I have a feeling this will be my regular autumn scent.

Wet in imp - Smells like a pine spice chest--cinnamon and clove are strong. Dry and spicy.

Wet on skin - more cinnamon and tea leaf with the same dry, spicy scent.

Dry on skin - Still smells like a spice chest. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, all strong and spicy. Very light sandalwood also. Not sweet and foodie at all.

Imp: Cinnamon over tea

Wet On Me: Very much cinnamon with the tea

lurking in the background

Drying Down: the tea is beginning to catch up

in the race with the cinnamon

Dry: It’s tea time…stirred with a cinnamon stick.

While in the background, someone has just opened

the tobacco pouch to pack a pipe. Really deep sniffs bring

traces of the nutmeg out. The cinnamon in this did warm a

spot on the back of my hand where I had applied it.

Interesting…I may keep this.

Wet: Cinnamon spice

Dry: Starts cinnamon, ends sweet mixed spice (clove, nutmeg, tea, etc.). Others are right- it's somehow not foody and it really smells like the description.

When I first tested this, at the time I prefered the rich honey of Bengal for a cinnamon scent. So Plunder got swapped. But that was summer, and now that it's fall, I wish I had it back to try it again. I think I'd love it in this season.

In the imp: spices and tea!

On me: The tea is upfront first, and then the cinnamon comes out. It's very spicy, almost like a strong chai tea. I'm going to be a pirate for Halloween, so I'll probably wear this to complement my outfit. Yarr! :P

First review! Whee!

Couldn't really tell what it smells like, haven't got the nose yet I guess, because all I get is spicy goodness, warm and happy like walking by a bakery that's making cinnamon rolls, love it! :P

Whoa! Plunder totally won me over. Can't begin to describe how much I LOVE the dryness of the spices in this one. I actually got a lot of pepper out of this one and was surprised by how well that worked on my skin. And it lasted like for-freakin-ever! :P

In the Bottle

It smells like Big Red gum, nutmeg, and all spice. Very spicy blend. I’m curious to see what it does on my skin.

On My Skin

The nutmeg has really come out while the cinnamon has taken a step back. So far the tea and tobacco are nowhere to be found. Hopefully they come out and play as the scent dies down.

After a Bit

Now that the nutmeg has calmed a bit this has become a beautiful spicy blend. I really, really like this one.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 4 Throw - 3 Longevity – 3

Overall (not an average) – 3.7

Final thoughts

This is beautiful and possibly bottle worthy, I think I’m going to test it one more time to be sure but it would be a perfect fall scent.

Wow, I can smell the nutmeg down in my throat, this is a serious spice carnival, sweetened by the cinnamon and the tea. I love Bengal and Clemence so no wonder i like this little guy too. it`s dry and rich at the same time.

Initial impression:

This smells a lot like chai tea. :P

First on:

Tea and cassia, mainly.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, this is a gentle and warm scent of nutmeg, clove and tea. Not very spicy, just pleasantly warm.

Another 20 mins later, the clove is coming through, making this an overall pleasant and lightly spicy scent. :D

Finally:

I'd hoped for more spices and complexity, but alas... Swapping.

I really enjoyed this blend. The clove, allspice and cassia were key notes on me. The tobacco and peppercorn came out more during the drydown. The tea leaf wasn't overly apparent (which is a good thing as I tend not to do well with traditional tea scents). The sandalwood added just enough of a "perfumey" vibe so that I didn't smell overly like a market. This was a beautiful scent overall, spicy and warm.

I am so bad at differentiating between spice notes, so I won't embarrass myself trying to do so here. Let me just say that Plunder smells like hot spiced tea, with a warm undercurrent of sandalwood and tobacco. I think I must amp cassia, because that's primarily what I get out of this. The spices in this are not as in-your-face as Silk Road nor subtle like in Bengal. Because of this, I think Plunder would be a good pick for someone new to spicy BPAL scents. Clemence is still my favorite "spice" scent, but Plunder was nice to try.

3/5

This went really strange on me....rootbeer :P Very spicy, sweet rootbeer! Kind of fun and after several hours dries down to cinnamon and nutmeg.

I'm not a fan of spicy scents, but this scent is really compelling. It starts off with a blast of cassia like in Enraged Groundhog Musk, very high-pitched. But then suddenly, the low notes appear to bolster and support the high notes of cinammon and clove. It's the suggestion of wood more than the actual scent, but it effectively encases the scent and provides a frame to enjoy the spice in.

Of anything, I'd say this blend is a really "stimulating" scent. The scent leaps to my attention and my mind feels revved up with it. It's really interesting to sniff.

in the imp, this reminds me of silk road.

on, it quickly turns into a prettier cinnamon than silk road has....

pepper and tea and tobacco come out to play.

on me, as usual, the spice fades fast and i'm left with the only tobacco scent that hasn't sucked on me... sweetish tea and tobacco.

if i ever learn how to get spices to stay longer on my skin, i will definitely get more use out of this one. for people with normal non-spice-eating epidermal layers, this would be quite a fun blend!

Cinnamon, clove, allspice, other spicy things and a wallop of sweet tobacco. The tea is smothered by the other smells. This definitely feels piratey! Plunder spends a while on my skin being a lend of dry sandalwood with swirls of spice and tobacco overlaying it, with just enough sweetness. I get a bit of dark tea flickering in and out but it's largely absent. Ends up being almost pure sandalwood on me afterwards, and hangs on for hour after hour as lightly spiced sandalwood. Mmmm. Sandalwood. Yum! The most sandalwood heavy scent I've tried so far with BPAL, and this particular note just sings on my skin. I wish I knew exactly what kind of sandalwood this was, because I'm pretty sure a few others were terribly off on my skin. In the early stages of this scent I wasn't sure I'd keep the imp because it was just your usual spicy blend without much else going for it, but if I'm ever in the mood for sandalwood, this'll be a great choice.

Wearing this scent since last night (reapplied in the morning). I love the tobacco mixed in with all the other spices. Makes me feel adventurous. :pirate:

In the imp: Holy spice rack, Batman! This is sweet spices and sweeter tobacco, with a whiff of black tea. Right now, there are too many spices for me to pick them apart, but it does seem to be true to the concept: eclectic and spicy.

On, wet: Tobacco is really the strongest note to me, smoky-sweet and earthy, but I can also smell the more astringent tea in there, cutting back on some of that sweetness. The spices are still mostly a jumble, playing around against all that tobacco and tea. I'm primarily getting cassia/cinnamon, allspice and clove, I think, but they're all in there. Somewhere.

On, dry: This is the scent of a very old-fashioned dry goods store to me, with all the aromatic spices and ultra-sweet pipe tobacco and dry tea leaves in their canisters. Tobacco is still the top note, but the tea and spices are starting to blend into a sweet-spicy-dry whole. I don't get much sandalwood yet—it's probably acting as the base for all the other notes, but it's hard to detect here. I know a lot of people have mentioned holiday potpourri-type scents, but it doesn't smell like that to me—the tobacco is much too prominent for this to be anything like craft store potpourri.

Later: Okay, finally the tobacco and sandalwood have switched places, and that's the key. The sandalwood is tying everything together into a spicy, very lightly woody fragrance that smells almost exactly like strong chai tea. Mmm… very warm, dry and comforting. Perfect for autumn or winter, I think.

Overall: Great execution of the concept, and it's pleasant to smell—the tobacco note plus the spices is just on the right side of my tolerance for sweetness, but it doesn't cross the line, so it's all good. I'll be keeping my imp for those days when I want something purely spicy, though I don't think this is a big bottle purchase for me—a little goes a long way, and I can't imagine wearing this one year-round.

This is a spicy blend, most dominated by the cassia. I also get some sassafras in there, but not sure if it is listed. I think that is what is ruining this blend for me, because I like all the other notes. Sassafrass sometimes smells "dirty" to me, and this is no exception. Off to swaps.

This starts off very spicy, like opening up a can of jumbled spices and shoving your nose in it and inhaling. After the initial coughing fit subsides though, you do it again. That is kind of what this smells like wet on my skin. The clove is very evident in this and takes the lead. The cinnamon bark is right behind it, while the rest of the scents muddle around in the underneath of it all and create a spicy, charming mess. The nutmeg and the sandalwood effectively mellow the spices out after a while.

This strikes me as more of a masculine scent (and don't think I'm not attacking the husband with this imp wand when he gets home) but even on my skin it's pretty good, and the longer I wait the better this gets. This one might be a shared-bottle in my household.

In the vial: Kind of a low-powered spice. Not anything to distinguish what was what.

On the skin: Ow. Now it's kind of burning my skin. That's got to be some strong cinnamon. The cassia, tea leaf and tobacco are all there as well. But it just smells...wrong. All spices I like on their own but mixed together they don't work well on me. Too bad.