Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chatrient

Pirate Moon

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet!
This blend made me fall madly in love with leather and tobacco.

Wet: when I first smelled it I didn't like it. It smelled so strange to me. It was Halloween night and I was about to take my girls out and I thought I would wear it anyway - in honor of Beth and Ted's wedding. Anyway - wet . . . it smelled very smokey and leathery. Not my style (or so I thought)

On: I guess it's not too bad. Not giving me a headache or anything.

Dry: Oh. This must be why people like leather. Because it's so freaking SEXY! This blend went all kinds of right on my skin. Musky, salty, tobacco, leather . . . :P OMG!

Initial thoughts: LOL LIMEWIRE!

Ahem. I had to have this the moment I saw the name. Notes wise, ambergris + leather + tobacco = Awesome. Palm + Date + Lime = tentative yay? I haven't tried out lime yet, and citrus is a touch... odd on me. The rest I have no firm opinion on.

In the bottle: Oh my. I don't get any of the notes I can recognise - not surprising, as they tend to be baseline notes rather than topnotes, which are what I tend to pick up on in the bottle. Instead, I get the palm and what I think is the pandanus grass, a hint of sandalwood, musk, a green wood, and a little tingle of lime. Mmm... I kinda like it, but... hmmm...

On the wrist, wet: Mmm, yes, that is a lot grassier/palmier than I was expecting! The 'red' aspects of the scent - the musk and the sandalwood - are also quite prominent. It's almost a little bit... uh oh, does this smell like soap to you?

Fifteen minutes later: Noooooooooo...

Prominent lime, yes - that's my skin chemistry doing the citrus thing on me. Something a bit palmly, maybe? But I still can't get away from the overwhelming SOAP. I'm going to give this a bit longer, because certainly some notes take a good half an hour to 'bloom' on my skin, but I'm sorely dissapointed.

Quite some time later: I shouldn't have bothered. The baseline notes that I know work really well on me are almost invisible, and the sort of barely-green palm and grass over the top just gives me soap. Oh no.

Verdict: Swap pile, reluctantly

Tl;Dr: Faint, soapy palm and the barest hint of the richer under-notes.

Every now and then I need to resort to Pirate Moon for a lively but relaxed feeling. Red musk, sure, but really well blended on my skin, so I'm not hit by too much of anything...not limey, not too salty, not so masculine I can't feel comfortable...more like borrowing my man's best soft cotton shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Very comforting.

I ordered a bottle of Pirate Moon when it first appeared and swapped it away soon thereafter. This blend was just too thin and sharp on me -- all I got was acrid astringency, with no presence at all from any of the richer notes.

I have to admit I'm curious about it now, though... I wonder if it would have aged into something nicer if I'd hung on to it!

Thanks to an incredibly awesome bpaler, I finally got to try this!!!!

In the imp: I sense an earthiness to this that surprises me for something with so many woods -- I think it is the red musk. Behind that is a sharp, clear lime and a hint of something salty.

Wet on skin: There is a sweet, aquatic note front and center which sounds great in theory (cool water), but is making my nose itch/run just a tad. I'm hoping it calms down because underneath it I can smell the woods (faintly) and a bit of leather (even fainter). This one either HAS to morph on me, or I can now safely say that aquatic notes are a deal breaker, because every other note in this should be gorgeous on me based on past experience. Please morph little Pirate Moon.

Early dry down (10 minutes): Thank you bpal fairies! This is, indeed, morphing in amost pleasing fashion. The musk and woods have combined into something that resembles my usual reaction to woods as a base note, but less dry and with a touch of wet to it. Overlaying the wet (not damp and mildewy, but really and truly wet) is a soft, almost delicate leather note.

Late dry down (1/2 hour): This has turned into the spicy, woody, leather scent that I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of Villainess' Quick or Dead soap, but without the sweetness from the sasparilla. The leather is a soft, delicate leather and it is in harmony with the lime, which is also soft and not too sharp. The base has dried out considerably and is now dry woods and musk, without the previously mentioned wetness.

In the bottle, I get leather, and just a hint of lime - it's woodsy.

On my skin, I get a certain grassiness, a hit of the lime, palm, balsom, sandalwood - very sea-like, very complex.

When it dries, it's very woodsy - I get the palm and the sandalwood, along with the musk. Very deep, very balanced.

I haven't worn this one in awhile. I did remember that I loved how it smelled on my skin as opposed to out of the bottle, and I was right :P

I'm not usually a fan of aquatics, hence why I wasn't as fond of this sniffing from the bottle. I am a huge fan of red musk, but I don't get that from this. Musk yes, but it must be so well blended that it doesn't scream at me. Maybe the lime is what is giving me the "aquatic" smell. This is so delicious! Very unisex to me. Sweet and sultry. I love it :D Great waft too!

Fresh from the bottle, I get hit with the red musk, ambergris and lime. After a bit, it warms up with the wods, tobacco and leather. There's a small bit of 'bite' to this one on me.

This is a scent that was made for wearing on skin! It blooms in the heat and melts beautifully into the skin. I detect something fresh-smelling yet warm, something evergreen-like and powdery. I'm surprised to see coconut listed as one of the notes. It so well-blended that I don't detect it at all! The drydown is like soft powder, pine and salt. Sounds weird, but somehow, I like it!

I say this smells best on skin because, today as I went to reapply some more in the afternoon, my clumsy butterfingers tipped over the bottle and spilled half of its contents all over my desk!!! :D And the spilled scent reminded me slightly of carpet cleaner and dryer sheets! :D --generically clean, powdery and fresh. But it definitely doesn't smell that way on my skin! It comes alive on the skin.

Wear this one with pride! :P

I was never in love with Pirate Moon despite being one of the many gals at WC Will Call to croon "Pirate Moooon" into Puddin's ear. It was a bit too astringent for my taste at first, so I'm swapping it, but I decided to give it one last whiff before letting go for some trusted favorites.

To me, it's mostly red musk and a little leather...slightly woody. Definitely a gentleman's scent. Once aged, it's very wearable, natural smelling, and classy. It's not my favorite of the men's scents, but I will give it props now.

I just hope Frederic ages this well!

In the bottle: A soft woody scent with that touch o' lime.

On my skin: The notes are all so well blended it is amazing. It smells like fresh sea air with a hint of salt a back drop of sea and sun drenched wood and a bit of tropical fruit.

Dry down: Continues on very much the same. Nice throw and it lasts too. Like strolling on the deck of a pirate ship with a cargo hold full of riches. But no smelly pirates :P

Edited by isisonearth

coconut, dry woods, and red musk – what a great combination. this reminds me somewhat of the coconutty, seafaring GC scents Blood Pearl and Elegba. but the red musk really adds a whole other dimension. it’s warm and sexy, while the leather and tobacco add a masculine sharpness. and then there’s just a hint of lime. other reviews mention aquatic notes, but i’m not getting that. this pirate ship is not at sea, but shored up on some remote tropical island.

eta: this scent is quite the morpher! about 10 minutes after application, the coconut has completely faded and the lime is super strong. but give it 10 more minutes, and it’s all dry, spicy woods (this is my favorite phase). long-lasting, with decent throw.

Edited by tinyvulture

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I was actually expecting something a bit more masculine and I'm so pleased that I was wrong.

It's so well blended, though the red musk is definitely at the forefront, perhaps with the ambergis?. Luckily the leather and tobacco aren't making a big appearance and the lime is just peaking out.

As it starts to dry down it becomes a bit shaper, but in a good way. The sandalwood comes out a little more but doesn't become overpowering. I'm not getting much of the coconut, unfortunately, but it is still absolutely beautiful. It definitely reminds me of a pirate ship on a sunny lazy day on calm seas.

I love how perfectly blended it is. Nothing is too strong. Even with how wacky my skin chemistry has been (I've pretty much had to give up applying it to my skin because it's making almost everything go wrong), this is still gorgeous.

I can't wait to see how it smells in my locket!

Edited by Femme_Fatale

in the vial: whoa lime! :D

wet on skin: yep. lime some more. but also a nice surprisingly subtle leather note. it's rather a good combination, strangely. :D

dry down: this is still predominantly lime on me. i get a hint of the coconut but only in a mixed-with-lime-tropical-drink way, and something else fruity that isn't actually foodie. :P

in all: a clean multi-gender scent, i'd wear this on a hot day or have my boy flame wear it to a nice dinner :D

Unwilling captive, or is it the pirate's life for me? This one's so hard to tell, so hard to tame, I cant be sure!

First (wet) skin: That heavy, pleasing cologne smell that I love (I'm a guy) when it doesn't overpower - and here it doesn't. Old weathered wood and favorite beaches. I'm not sure I'd call it "acquatic", though mayhap that's what it is; it's just that I am not a fan of scents acquatic, but there's just enough not of approaching or just departed storm to make it alright, really nice even.

There's a sweetness that is beguiling, certainly not too sweet but just enough amid the many notes. They blend extremely well. You know what it is? It's like how when you are by the ocean, all of the ambient sounds - surf, gulls, creaking & knocking of boats, water people - blend together into a background that you stop noticing except when it's taken away. There IS one prevailing scent that dominates but like the sweet rot of the sea it is both and neither fair or foul.

Drydown: The woodsy cologne fades to a steady background, the lime rides nicely balanced with it, and for a while (5-10 minutes) there is a slightly acrid note, like sulphur. It reminds me of Maoi, from summer 2008. Gunsmoke in the sea air?

This latter fades as well, and yields a mix of all of these. I still cannot decidedly say whether I "like it" or not, but I for better or worse I am hooked. Brilliant.

Edited by othello

This one is so interesting! I'm so excited to try it and grateful that it was included as a frimp with a recent purchase. Was told my avatar inspired the addition :P (Yay Poison Elves pirate!) This is a double personality scent on me. On the lower wrist pulse point I get hot leather (Sexy!!) and on the inner elbow pulse point I get a light bloom of ...midnight ....floral? It's really hard to put my finger on it! Going from one to the other it's like cuddling up to your masculine pirate on deck at midnight and breathing deeply of his salty leather clothes, then turning your face to the breeze that blows hints of a tropical port island of your bow. It's VERY evocative. I can't think of a scent that is so completely different on the two spots on my arm.

It's so appropriate that this was Beth and Ted's wedding announcement perfume, because the two personalities of masculine and feminine adventurers comes through so clearly!

What a frimp!!!

What better scent to test on Talk Like a Pirate Day?!

piratemoon.jpg

Bottle: relatively dark and musky, with a bit of sweet citrus. Strikes me as masculine, and possibly something in my DH’s realm of scents. But this is MY review, not his. *swipes*

Wet: Dark and musky, a little sweet, a hint of citrus (guess the lime?). I’m also smelling a bitter green vetiver-like scent, and a little bit of cherry (tobacco maybe?).

Dry: Whoa, the throw. It is potent— slightly powdery musk, woods, resin, leather with whiffs of dark greenery. They blend into a nice incense vibe on my skin.

Overall: Powerful. The net effect is 1) very masculine, 2) very strong, and therefore, 3) totally awesome pirate-y-ness. It’s also not at all for me. And really, I think this is too masculine a scent for my sweet-loving DH, but I’ll try it on him and see what he thinks.

Edited by jewelbug

I can't puzzle this one out.

Fresh, it was light with a saucy musky snap. It's spent the past hour-plus changing every time I check it. The lime brightens it, certainly, and I can smell the tobacco, but every so often it smells a lot like pussy. Husband says he likes it, when pressured, although he doesn't like it under his nose. It even smells differently on each wrist. I am confident that the one bottle will be more than sufficient.

Potent is a good way to describe this blend. It's very red musk, sandalwood and resinous leather. At the beginning, I got a faint dusting of citrus over it. But now it's a sexy swashbuckling female pirate. The kind that takes no prisoners. YARRR!

There are so many things in this blend that just screamed to me 'dont be a fool, it will NOT work on YOU no matter how hard you wish it to be!' Ambergris, leather, tobacco, and wood all equal doom. But...I had to get it...or I would die. So, I hunted it down on the forum and was so pleased I did! This is actually the only LE blend that I have 2 bottles of (a third may be in my future...hmmm). If I smell really hard and look for it I can find the tobacco (which becomes nasty ashtrey on me) but other then when I search for it I cant find it and it doesnt bother me. On me Pirate moon is sort of colognesq on but it quickly fades to a spicey delishiousness similiar to Port Royal. I cant really pick out any of the notes because its so well blended and I cant smell the leather or lime in this. I absolutly love this blend 5/5

I bought this second-hand from a private seller and thought I'd give it a try.

I would like to think that my nose is becoming more sensitive to multi-layered scents and hoped that this would be one that I could pick out all the notes in the description.

Unfortunately, all I could get was warm wood and nothing else when this was put on my skin. It's not unpleasant, but it's not nearly as delicious as it sounded.

Wet: Musk and sea, like pirates on a ship.

First on: Leather's starting to shine through, and a bit of lime, but still mostly sea.

Dry: Unchanged. Not really my style, but it's a nice scent.

In the vial: Woodsy and green.

Wet: Very woodsy, green and soapy.

Dry: My skin eats this right up, less than 5 minutes into the scent, it has faded. I have to sniff right at my wrist to catch a very faint whiff of...the sea on board a pirate ship!

Overall: A pity the throw was weak on me when it was the nicest! Not for me.

Caveat -- I currently cannot hear out of my left ear, and while that shouldn't really affect my sense of smell, for some reason, it makes things smell a little less than they normally would. I'm weird.

In the bottle: Wood and grass and something just a little bit sweet.

On, wet: I get something different every time I smell this. It's a faint bit of leather with just a little bit of lime, woodsy and salty.

On, dry: I'm getting a little more musk than I would normally like, but the leather is nice and full-bodied, as most leather tends to be on me. It's nice, but a little too men's cologne for me.

Bottle: musk, sandalwood and leather

Wet on Me: Musk, sandalwood, leather, and tobacco. Dear geds I love this already

Drying Down: Wowie wow wow! This is such a fabulous blend already. Musk and sandalwood and wee bits o balsam, and the leather and more woods. Smells like the Captain’s cabin. FAB U LUST!

Dry: Dayum! Just Dayum! This is awesome. It blended soooo beautifully. Woods and leather and sandalwood OH MY!