Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chatrient

Pirate Moon

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

In the bottle and at first on my skin, Pirate Moon reminds me of a swampy scent. It smells of mud and sweet grass and almost a sweet floral tone. The grass note in this is lovely, but not a green grass smell at all, sort of a pale, sweet, meadow grass. It starts off lovely, but quickly goes sharp and chemical.

Within five minutes this has turned into a perfumey musk and meadow grass on me, and the grassy note that I like gets eaten alive by the musk shortly after that.

Pirate Moon is very sharp and musky on my skin. I normally like ambergris, but the lab's ambergris here seems to turn into a sharp, chemical, department store perfoom smell on me. It's a sharp, unbearable sort of musk within 10 minutes after application. It actually has a cheap hairspray sort of smell on me. I'll definitely be swapping away my decant of this.

Kicks self that self ordered t-shirt for this one but only a decant to wear! (no matter....have a lead on a bottle!)

This is a Pirate at his/her ease.....lounging on the beach with a beverage of almost toxic alcohol content...loaded with lime....in the sun...but still wearing his/her leathers.....a very crisp, virile scent with the underlying musk of a long sea voyage. Viva Bonny Jack Sparrow! :P

I love this! And it lasts a goodly time on me! Yay!

Bottle just came in and while wearing realized that the Red Musk is really potent in this...but unlike Red Moon where it just took over and became candy....this is still a complex yummy scent even 4 hours after application....with no end in sight (or should that be "smell") The musk and tobacco/leather make a lovely combo and the lime gradually fades out but there is still a titch of citrus keeping this from being TOO sweet!--I think the ambergris and sandalwood also keep this warm without the ultra sweetness too much red musk can bring on.)

Edited by Bulletslc

Argh! The tobacco and musk combination hates me every time - sharp, bitter, sneeze-making. :P Ambergris usually loves me, but it seems to have no chance here against the dreadful duo.

Ooh, hey, wait! *There's* the ambergris, half an hour later. It battles with the lime for a bit, but ultimately we're back to moldy tobacco and old cologne.

I rarely say this, but this is a very male scent. It, er, smells like aftershave to me. It might be an interesting and complex aftershave, but...it isn't something I want to wear. Ah well. I'm glad I'm not all that into pirate imagery, otherwise I'm sure I'd be heartbroken!

I've worn this a few times, and it smells really good. The throw is light, especially for a scent with red musk and leather. As lots of other people have said, this is blended so well I couldn't pick out individual notes right away. I smell the plant-like notes, sort of green. Then later on the red musk swells and comes forward.

I think that this will get better and better as it ages. I think in a few weeks or months, this will be incredible. Right now it has a strange (but not bad) quality.....it reminds me of when you taste soup right after you make it, before the flavors have had a chance to mingle together, and it tastes 'new'. This has that same quality to me. I know that's totally weird but that's what it reminds me of.

This smells of sweet, smooth sandalwood, incense, sweet woods and a touch of tobacco. It is just gorgeous. There’s something green and fresh too, I can’t identify it but it adds a lightness to the scent. It actually reminds me strongly of Sleepy Moon – mainly because of the sandalwood and fresh green elements.

After it’s been on a bit, the red musk peeks out a bit but it never overpowers. This is so gorgeous and made even better because it’s a celebration of Beth and Ted’s wedding.

Love it!

Unlike its sister scent The Phoenix, this scent has some quite likable elements. It's a softer scent than you might expect from the description, warm musks and woods with an overlay of soft sweetness, and yet very gender neutral -- this would easily work as well on a man as on a woman. It's not as aggressively masculine as the notes make it sound like it would be, though. This works just fine on a she-pirate.

It's sort of gently incensey and unlike the vast majority of oils that claim to have something to do with the sea, there really is something in here that smells a bit ocean-y -- not like the sharp perfumey scents that seem to be conventionally regarded as "aquatic" despite smelling nothing like water, but more like the actual sea.

There is a stage it goes through where it has a bit of that sharpness, after it's settled in a little bit but before it's dried down all the way, and I don't much like it then, but once it's fully settled down it's pretty nice -- kind of a musk/leather/incense scent that's a little on the sexy side without being as over-the-top as Loviatar.

It's not terribly long-lasting, and fades down to being not much more than a skin-scent after only a couple of hours. But still, despite that, and that one not-so-good phase, it's probably a keeper, since the before and after stages are quite nice, and not much like anything else out there.

Grade: B

Edited by Miss Lynx

This scent is amazing! I was expecting it to smell so much stronger and more masculine. My skin really amplifies leather on me but dry I can barely pick out the leather from the rest of the notes which are blended so beautifully. It's very.... unisex. I originally intended to get this for a guy friend of mine but.... I'm thinking I might just have to keep it....

In the bottle and wet on the skin it was very strong with the musk, tobacco and lime standing out. I was a bit afraid it would stay like this, very masculine and...almost harsh if that makes any sense... But after about 15 minutes the musk, tobacco, and lime began to mellow out and I could start to smell some sweeter more creamy notes coming through. I'm assuming this was the date and coconut but what does my untrained nose know? :P All I know is this is BEAUTIFUL. Unlike anything I've ever worn before. I love it love it love it! And it's definitely a keeper! Ohhh how I will mourn the day my supply runs dry....Since it looks like I will have to reapply often... I wish it lasted longer. I might turn some of this into a spray... see if it lasts longer.

Edited by xXxPinkadoodlexXx

In the vial I get wood and perhaps tobacco with a hint of limey citrus--deep and a little sweet, but definitely masculine. On me at first it turns to aftershave and reminds me a little of the disappointment October was on me. As it dries and settles into my skin, though, it becomes rich, soft and creamy. I can't really pick out any of the notes; as others have said, this is beautifully blended. Tobacco is often headache-inducing on me, but I can't perceive it at all in here. It is indeed reminiscent of the ocean and tropical beaches, though not in a commercial-perfumey way, and it's definitely unisex. I like this a lot--very evocative.

Edited by citharadraconis

I am SO kicking meself for only ordering one bottle of this--AAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGG!!! It is, in a word, Delightful. It is also now me Holy Grail scent for "the ocean". The sensory impression this evokes for me is a breeze gently wafting off the ocean, with the palms and greenery in the background lending their scent to the ocean spray, a little leather and wood coming up from the boat as you sail, and the mist of a lime squeezed into your ? Corona? (no beer smell--just trying to imagine how the lime mist would be wafting into this little scene)

There is an provocative smell that is sexy and come-hitherish in there, and I wish, wish, wish I knew what note was doing that, I have no idea but its the same OMG rush I get when I smell Bakeneko or Hungry Ghost Moon. It makes me feel like, SEX! Methinks its the red musk.

This scent could easily be Unisex. If it wasn't so hard to come by, I'd buy a gallon because this is what I want me house to smell like--I'd burn it constantly in me oil diffusers, so I could imagine all day that I am sailing the seven seas, Yo Ho!

As it is, I will likely hoard this precious and slather it on special occasions only, because it shot up immediately to my top ten list. I think The Phoenix is more of a pirate ship smell, but this one is the ocean incarnate. This one is Calypso.

Pirate Moon

In the imp: a faint, but attractive scent of grasses and pale woods.

Wet on skin: now it sweetens a little, but it still smells of dry sandy woods, beach grass and palm trees.

Dry on skin: oh yes, this is beautiful. Really beautiful. I can smell the woods, and the coconut palm, the greenish notes of grass and balsam, a tang of lime, a lovely dry golden tobacco, and a bit of rich depth from the musk and ambergris and leather. It doesn't smell aquatic but I agree that it smells beachy. It smells like swaying palm trees, warm sands, a hint of salty air, tough beach grasses, the polished beams of a ship made from the finest fragrant woods, and hints of gentle coconut (not suntan oil coconut though) enhance the tropical feel of this scent. This is really beautiful yet also strong and sexy in feel.

After a while: the scent becomes even smoother and well blended, and now I see what others mean about it being hard to distinguish what this smells like, other than it smells wonderful. It's just a lovely warm woodsy dryness with a subtle red musk (this musk is much gentler than the usual red musks in BPAL) and a golden sheen of ambergris. I still smell the palm fronds and the sand and salt and grass and a touch of black leather. This scent is one that stays close to the skin.

Eventually this becomes deeper and muskier as that sexy red musk note comes out, along with the remaining woodsy notes. Mmm, this is good. There's also something reminiscent of the patchouli and frankincense of Anne Bonny to this…resin-polished ship wood and musk.

Verdict: oh yes, this is fabulous. It smells grassy and balmy, but it also smells a bit smoky and leathery, and woodsy, and beachy, and a bit salty and sandy and with just the barest hints of something marine. And it also smells a little bit musky and resinous too. Overall it smells warm and sensual but it's also surprisingly gentle. It's a mix of all kinds of scent families except floral and foody, I think. But it does really evoke standing on the prow of an elegant ship, moored on a tropical island, watching the sun go down in the arms of your loved one (very fitting for the occasion it commemorates). I think this may be my favourite pirate BPAL scent! I'm glad I have two bottles-this is a gorgeous, unique scent which is unisex, sexy and lovingly crafted, and I'm so glad Beth decided to share this wonderful wedding-inspired creation with us. Another reason why I love the lab.

Emoticon rating: :P (this forum needs a pirate emoticon!)

Is it a keeper? Aye!

If you like this, try: Havana, Anne Bonny, Caliban, Intrigue, Ile de la Tortue, Krampus

Whoo, I finally got my paws on a decant of this scent!! I am so glad that I did! In the imp this smells...well, there are no words to describe how amazing it smells. I can't pick out any of the notes but lime, salty sea smell, and wood...the rest of it just blends into yum!

I slathered this time, knowing that the first time I only put on a tiny touch and discovered that this blend is very subtle and soft. Slathering definitely paid off big time here! Wet on the skin all of the notes rush forward to announce their appearance: hello coconut palm, hey there balsam, date, musk and grass! Welcome to the party!

As it's drying it is soooo beautiful...This is going to sound corny but eff it anyways - this stage reminds me of that last scene in Goonies, when One Eyed Willy's pirate ship sets sail again on the open seas and everyone on the beach is all "Oooh" and "Ahhhhh", cue the cheesy melodramatic music, cheesy melodramatic resolution to the plot, and then everyone has a party on the beach with baby ruth and domino's pizza, cuz product placement was unabashedly celebrated in the 80's! :D What was I talking about, oh yeah...the drydown of this blend is majestic.

Annnnyywaaays, this just turns into the softest, most sensual, exquisite blend ever! It might be my favorite BPAL evah, and in any case I will definitely require truckloads more! This is a pirate ship at sunset. A romanticized pirate ship of my innermost role-playing fantasies...er, I mean it's kinda dreamy, uh, you know maybe, I guess. :P

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

I LOVE it!! This is a major morpher. It begins as a bright clean almost detergent scent but then WHOA It becomes wood and warmth, what a wonderful wonderful scent!!! Unlike the previous poster I don't get a huge rush of in your face red musk, but a shfiting wood to musk and back again with a hint of coconut to keep it warm through out.

In the vial:

I can hardly smell anything in the vial – some very soft floral, then nothing. I expected to be attacked by a scent o’ pirates!

Wet:

Fresh on my skin, it’s still incredibly soft – a whispering floral, and the tiniest hint of leather and possibly tobacco.

Dry:

After 10-20 mins, it’s still so soft I fear it has just… vanished. I can smell date, though – yay! There’s an almost creamy note lingering in the background, too.

40+ mins after application, it’s still subtle, but it’s warmer, sweeter, and a touch more exotic.

Finally:

It took me an hour to like it, but I enjoy it now that it’s all warm and exotic. It’s a bit too subtle for me (my skin eats the scent almost immediately), but I think I’ll see how it ages… Keeping, for now.

I was especially excited about Pirate Moon because it had several notes in common with my most beloved of all beloveds Hellfire, and there certainly is a certain similarity between the two. Pirate Moon is by far the gentler blend - the leather and tobacco are softer. The ambergris adds a lovely crystalline darkness which I adore. And the musk fuzzes the edges of the blend.

I don't really get the coconut or date in this at all, except maybe as a slight sweetness in the background. The woods and grass are there, but very quiet and gentle. I do get a faint hint of sea air from this, but I have the strange sneaking suspicion that it might actually be the lime confusing my nose.

I know I've said "gentle" and "soft" alot in this review, and Pirate Moon is that and is also very "pretty" But there's darkness to it as well, and I'm not sure I've accurately described how utterly lovely Pirate Moon is.

When I first tried Pirate Moon I liked it except for this note I describe as "wet reeds" - salty wet grasses that grow along the shoreline. And of course this was the most dominant note and almost completely smothered the wonderful musk and ambergris I could detect underneath.

A few weeks later I tried it again and was pleasantly surprised to find that note wasn't quite as strong and was starting to fade a bit when dry.

A few more weeks later and wow! That note is far more subdued from the start and starts to fade as soon as it starts to dry. The musk has come to the fore, and there's a decent amount of ambergris, soft woods and tobacco as well. I don't get date or lime at all, but to be honest that doesn't worry me too much! I do really like this now, it's soft and warm and masculine with average to good last and some soft throw.

I'm quite eager to see what a bit more aging does to it! And although I'm not sure if I really do need that second bottle yet, I'm definitely hanging on to it for now.

Wet this is a mix of floral notes, musk and a bit soapy too. When first on this is ocean breeze and lightly floral with some warmth in the background. There's also a slight salt/wood note. After a few minutes it becomes sweet and fruity. After a few hours it's become a soft floral with a hint of earthiness in the background. This is a lovely blend and is much softer than I had expected it to be. I think this is going to age very well. Thank you so much Beth and Ted for allowing us to share in your wedding celebration. I will always treasure this special blend and it's companion The Phoenix :P

Since I'm an oceanography major and a pirate geek, I bought this one from dnagirl. Yum!

In bottle: Sharp, almost a little soapy.

@ application: Still sharp, a quick note of reeds, grass, and salt water. It's like being the in salt marshes near my marine field lab without the "OH WOW" hit of sulfur.

@ 10 min: Drastically softened, salty sea air and wood.

@ 1 hr: Salt air, wood, and a kick of lime.

@ 2 hrs: Still a yummy blend of salt, wood, lime, and a touch of sandalwood. The way I wish sea air smelled...

All in all, it's a surprisingly light, fresh kind scent considering some of the things that go into it: musk, tobacco, leather, etc. I really like it. It's got a little kick and definitely isn't girly, but I don't think it's a heavy masculine scent by any means.

i liked it more upon first application, then it dried down and now it smells like a bar and cheap cologne.

this one might just be used in the locket or with laundry.

In the bottle – A hint of red musk and a kind of woody greenness

Wet on me – A green woodiness that I can’t quite place

Dry on me – A slightly soapy leather with a warm creamy skin scent beneath

Overall – This never really took off on me. Some 15 hours after I apply there is a warm sensuality to it, which I like, but I can’t really wear a blend for that long whilst I wait for it to get its act together

This is clean and musky and light. I guess I expected something more savage and possibly difficult to wear. I was picturing this as a very sharp aquatic with many strong notes fighting it out. I'm so blown away at how great this is on me.

Surprise surprise the red musk is gentle. It's making me drool a little I admit. Paired with that breezy/misty wet note it's so pretty. The greenness in this is powerful too. More so than the wood. There's a little bit of dry sweetness but it's very refined. Underneath everything is the barest tart bit of lime. This dries down into a clean musk.

I have to kick myself for waiting so long to wear this. Glad I finally pulled it out and gave it a go. It really is one I'll wear a lot.

In the bottle: red musk, leather, and date.

Wet, it's a smooth dark scent, all musk, leather, and woods. There's a certain freshness to it as it dries - a breath of salty sea air. And when it really warms up on my skin, creamy date and coconut make an appearance. Yum. It seems like a rather masculine scent at first, but after a few minutes it becomes just plain sensual. Quite subtle, not a lot of throw.

In the bottle, the tobacco and red musk notes had me worried. Wet on, those soften out quite a lot (this is actually one of the only tobacco and/or red musk scents that I've found that works for me). There is warmth to this one--sun-warmed sand. The lime comes out nicely on drydown, along with the woods.

In the end, this is a nice, subtle gender-neutral scent. A warm night on a moonlit beach, with hints of exotic woods, lime, a very nice musky leather, and just the right amount of sweet (the date, I guess).

Lovely...Which seems at odds with piracy, but I guess they need to smell pretty too.

(How have I never reviewed this? Oy...)

Not dark, campy-eyeliner pirates, but the holystoned deck, sun-bleached canvas snapping in the wind, and the scent of distant islands... This has changed considerably since last summer, the leather & woods & red musk mellowing into a warm undercurrent, with a fresh, clean breeze over the top - the lime & ambergris meld into a slightly salty, foamy note, and the palms & grasses wave about in the sun... Very evocative, much milder than the original description would indicate - this isn't rape, plunder & pillage, it's the equatorial sun slipping below the far horizon marking another day at sea, another day nearer the rumored shores... hammocks swing idly, and someone has coaxed the carpenter's boy to bring out his ocarina for a bit of a song...

It's piratey alright. It smells very manly, and reminds me of the open sea. As far as pirate scents go, I don't like it as much as Port Royal, but it's certainly a keeper!

Pirate Moon is OK on me.... it goes boozy and I don't quite get the saltiness I was hoping for. But the muskiness of it is really nice and the tobacco/wood notes are not too overpowering. A bottle is enough, but I do like!