Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dragonrain

Midnight Kiss

Eternal desire, unquenchable passion: red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine.

Imp: Cherry liqueur

Wet: A chocolate-covered, booze-filled cherry

Drying: Sweeter and softer, a soft, sweet cherry -- and I can see the Dr Pepper comparisons, 'cause it is a little like flat vanilla Dr Pepper at times

Meh. I'll swap this one out.

Wet: Chocolate and booze. Reminds me of drinking creme de cacao in my college dorm. *reminisces*

Drydown: An earthy, sensual patchouli rises to the surface. I'm pleasantly shocked to see patchouli behaving itself this well at this TOM! The patchouli and the chocolate sound like an odd couple. but they're blending surprisingly well, and the effect is both sexy and comforting at the same time. Think "romantic evening with your beloved" sexy rather than "clubbing" sexy. It's a little like Sin at this stage, except with chocolate instead of cinnamon. Yummm.

Dry: Alas, something fruity has eaten the patchouli for lunch and teamed up with the chocolate to turn the scent VERY sweet and candyish. It's not bad, just not as amazing as the chocolate/patch synergy of a little while ago. Still, I can definitely see myself being in the mood for this scent. I haven't decided if I need a bottle, but I'll hang on to the imp. Thanks Lab!

This is my first and I haven't got much of a nose, so take what you will.

I immediately was hit with the patchouli. Whew! Then a musky sweetness. The patchouli faded and the ambery smell took hold as it dried. My friend spilled most of the imp on our dining room table so it is everywhere--I don't know how it does on my skin, but it has unfortunately made the dining smell like a brothel. If musky patchouli sweetness is your thing you will like this, but it is not mine--brings to mind a home of ladies of the night, the walls covered with hung cloth and incense burned to cover up the smell of the world within.

The patch went dark and dirty on me which it usually doesn't do. This reminds me of Madame Moriarty, but without the sweetness of the plum. It turns sticky-cherry after a while, which is nicer than the "dirt" scent, but overall, not for me. Glad I got to sniff it, though!

A.

Love. LOVE. :P

I've been a lot more cautious about springing for bottles unsniffed as of late, but I made an exception for this one, because damn, how could a list of notes like that not be amazing? And I have no regrets.

I've seen a number of reviews comparing this scent to both Blood Kiss and Mme Moriarty, and both of those are pretty apt comparison, despite the fact that those two scents don't really smell at all alike. But I'd also add Centzon Totochtin and Arachnina to the list of scents that could be this one's parents. I can see the Urd comparison too. And as it happens, nearly all of those scents are on my A-list or at least my B+-list, so this is pretty much a match made in heaven.

It's a really hard scent to pin down -- it smells like all the ones listed above even though they don't smell anything like each other. It morphs and changes as it settles in, shifting from a Centzon-Totochtin-ish spicy-dark-chocolate-wine scent to a Mme.Moriarty-ish heady, sexy musk, to a floral-tinged and faintly intoxicating Arachnina-ish scent, and more. It smells dark and hypnotic and Dionysian and slightly dangerous, and I really, really, really like it.

I'm kind of surprised how many other people don't, but hey -- all the more for me! I might actually consider acquiring a second bottle before it goes away.

Grade: A+

ETA: The more I wear this, the more I love it. I think it may have actually surpassed Red Phoenix as my all-time favourite LE ever. Definitely want a second bottle!

Edited by Miss Lynx

As I've stated before in my other reviews, I'm one of the lucky, lucky few who can not do Beth's Patchouli. I've tried it many a time and have faced bitter disapointment over it (Samhain WHAH!!!!).

But I received a frimp (man, I love the lab!) of Midnight Kiss and sniffing from the vial, I thought, oh, maybe! It smelled sweet, yet floral and complex. So, I slobbered some on my wrist, and guess what? Patchouli! Tons of it, swooping down without mercy.

Then something weird happens; I'm reacting to the smell the way Dracula reacts to a silver cross, and then it's gone- Almost all of it. If I plant my wrist under my nose I get a faint cherry smell, but otherwise it's history folks.

Weird. And off to the 'no' pile.

I was really hoping Midnight Kiss would be cocoa and flowers, it smelled really lovely and sweet in the imp, but on my skin the patchouli came out and kind of dominated the other notes.

For me this is pretty much Patchouli SN. It gets a little sweeter after a couple of house, but it's still very strong on the patchouli.

Strangely, I got a lot of compliments on it. Weird!

In the imp, I get wine backed by chocolate - it's deep and fruity.

On my skin, the wine and chocolate share the stage with the musk and amber.

Dry, it's really warm - it's a nice blend of the fruity hit of the wine, the warmth of the chocolate, and the richness of the amber, sandalwood, and musk. It's really nice - I'm glad I have a bottle!

First Impression: Musk.

Dries down to: Hints of sandalwood appear around the edges, followed by the wine notes.

Additional Comments: I don't pick up on any cocoa or floral notes at all. There is a softness like a blanket of cotton over the whole blend which must be from the amber. It reminds me of wine spilled on a picnic bench. It's okay but I'll stick with Bordello which works so much better with my skin chemistry.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

In the Bottle: This immediately reminds me of a club I used to go to which closed down. Its the musk and the wine and the patchouli in a combo that brings me back to dancing and velvet, candlelight and booze.

Wet: This starts out as a heavy cherry with woods and of course the patchouli is still strong. In my experience patchouli tends to be the strongest note in any blend it's in. Theres also a hint of musk in the background.

Dry: This has dried down to a beautiful sweetly smoky cherry. I can smell the amber too. It reminds me a bit of clove cigarettes, although I see there is no clove listed in the description. It could be that it has just brought back the memory of clove cigarettes due to the goth club associations I've made with it.

12 hours later: This one lasts! I'm impressed. Nothing I've tried so far has even come close to this potency. Still the sweet, clovey, soft cherry amber from before.

Overall: I really like this one. I'm so thrilled it turned out this way. This bottle will be used frequently and I should probably buy another bottle(or two or three) before it's gone!

5 out of 5

In the vial: like red wine vinegar!

Wet on skin: the same red musk that is in Fenris Wolf. I can smell cocoa and sandalwood. This is nice! As it dries the cocoa is coming out more.

Dry on skin: wow - this is actually a bpal I sweeten! The wine is coming out and is now the dominant note, mingling nicely with musk, sandalwood and a light floral which must be nicotiana. The cocoa didn't linger and the patchouli is behaving itself, perhaps because it is aged. This has a lot of what I like about Fenris Wolf, but in a feminine version! But there is a slight vinegary sourness lurking just in the background, which spoils it for me.

After a few hours the vinegar is gone and soft amber comes out. There's quite a throw - I'm wearing two scents (because I'm testing imps), but this is the one I can smell all around me.

At first the cocoa is the dominant scent. After a couple of hours, the wine amps up and that's all there is too it. It smelled sweet and fruity, but it's not my thing.

I got frimped from the lab!! Thank you I was DYING to try this.. and viola!! Thar she be!!

In the bottle: Sweet sweet dark grapes and smoke

Wet: Like someone spit out some gum into a grape, dropped it onto the ground and smooshed it into the dirt. (And I like it!!)

Dry: Ohhhh yummm.. sweet sweet earth and incensey grapes. I reacently purchased some grape incense and this smells like it. I loveeeee it!!!! I want a bottle.. NOW!!!

In the vial:

It reminds me of Lilith (heavy on the wine), but with a chocolate-like background. I’m slightly enchanted now!

Wet:

It’s all cocoa (oh gods, the delicious chocolate!) with splashes of red wine, patchouli and sandalwood. It’s so good, it’s maddening!

Dry:

It has softened now and it’s not nearly as strong – gentle musk and amber, with a hint of wine and patchouli.

Finally:

It’s not nearly as delicious once it’s dry, but I’ll hang on to it purely for the wonderful wet stage. :P

This was a frimp from the Lab. In the imp and on me, it smells like root beer. Once in a while, I get a whiff of cocoa. I don't think it's for me.

--Josephine

(Edited for name change)

Edited by RaasAlHayya

I'm disappointed. I wanted to smell like Dr. Pepper, but instead this smells exactly like Vixen on me. It must be the patchouli. I'm not especially fond of the scent, but it's very well-blended -- earth with a layer of powdery sweetness. This one has a more old-fashioned feel, like a vintage perfume. I'd be interested in smelling this in a scent locket, just to see how much my body chemistry affected it.

3/5

this reminds me somewhat of the chocolate/fruit GC scents blood kiss and intrigue, only richer. chocolate covered cherry is what i smell at first. then the other notes come out and it becomes very deep and complex. lots of warm vibrant red musk and dirty patchouli make it incredibly sexy. and of course i always love amber and sandalwood. there’s just a hint of tobacco. i adore this; i just wish it was stronger. it comes on strong, but fades quickly.

Edited by tinyvulture

When wet, this smells like Centzon Totochtin (smells like cocoa, blood, and rum on me), but with wine instead of rum. Yum! As it dries, the patchouli comes out, but doesn't dominate the blend. After about 15 minutes, I also catch whiffs of a dry leaf scent, which I assume is the tobacco leaf. I was most surprised that the red sandalwood didn't amp, as it does in Anne Bonny and Fenris Wolf!

Centzon is one of my all-time favorites, and I do like this a lot as well. Overall, it smells like a richer, more opulent Centzon, with a bit of "dryness" from the patchouli and nicotania. This is one heady vampire kiss.

In the imp, Midnight Kiss has a terrible, sickly-sweet, fake-caramel kind of note when it hits my nose. It is sickening to me, and so I had no interest in trying it. However, I've been frimped by the Lab three times, now, so I've finally decided I should let a drop hit my skin.

I don't know what that smell is in the imp, but once Midnight Kiss is on me, the "yuck" is non-existent, and the scent is a different creature altogether.

:P It's quite beautiful and I definitely see why people are likening it to Mme. Moriarty (of which I own 5mL).

Midnight Kiss is juicy, warm cherry compote tempered with lovely hints of cocoa, pipe tobacco, and a whisper of sandalwood and patchouli. It's luverly! It's completely different than the ick that I smell in the imp, and is yet another reminder that you can't judge a BPAL without giving it a chance on your skin.

As it dries down, the juiciness subsides, and it becomes a little more woody, as the patch and sandalwood start to dominate more and more.

I am surprised at how much I enjoy this scent, but I don't see myself wearing it again for some reason. Maybe because it reminds me of the Misfortune Teller, but the Madame has not been trumped by this Kiss. Also, the patchouli and sandalwood are a bit more dominant than I prefer in a blended scent (as much as I dig wearing them as a 50/50 blend on their own).

I'll still frimp this one along, but I'm glad I gave it a chance, because it's a helluva lot nicer than I expected.

i would give you a review on this, but i just can't bear to put it on my skin.

i opened the frimp, and was almost knocked out by a strong, boozy, fruity, inscencey wave of, idk, something strong. but i couldn't put it on as i almost threw up opening the lid

it sounds like it smelled so good on you, but this one i don't think i could wear even if the drydown was amazing. i just couldn't get past the wet phase

When I first tested this the wine seemed too strong on me, but I tried it again and I'm mostly getting the cocoa overlaid with musk and sandalwood with just a touch of the sweetness of the wine. It's very nice - dark and swirlingly exotic. Am keeping my extra lab frimp. :P

Midnight Kiss reminds me strongly of Vice on first application--chocolate-covered cherries! However, as it settles, it's boozier, brighter; patchouli and the grape note from Wanda start to dominate. A fun, young scent, and perfect for the Shojo Beat fanbase. :P

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy