Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oedipa

Cauldron Gunk Soap (by Silk Road Trading Company)

Green tea leaf, jasmine, coriander, sage, guava pulp, freesia, passion flower, lizard's leg, howlet's wing, scale of dragon, hemlock root, and eye of newt.

Water, saponified organic fair-trade palm kernal oil, coconut oil, soybean oil, organic fair-trade shea butter, castor bean oil, jojoba oil, green sea clay, Cauldron Gunk fragrance, and parsley powder.

Wow, first review? Neat! I got a little chunk of this from Miss GRR (enough to tide me over until mine arrives!) and it's amazing!

It smells very...green (probably the green tea leaf?), a little bit sweet, but mostly green. The lather is good, and the scent lingers for just a bit on my skin before taking off. I may have to purchase another bar, if it's still available! Edited by Shollin

The wrapper for this soap is so CUTE! It features a cauldron brimming with lots of fun things, like eyeballs and worms. Very Halloweenie and my favorite of this batch of LE soaps.

The soap itself is green with some darker green spots. It smells very green and herbal. It's a clean scent without being soapy. I quite like it. The lather is less rich than other BPTP soaps (probably because of the green clay), but it's still very good. Also, the addition of the green clay makes the soap very nice on the skin - it leaves a smooth coating.

Verdict: Another fabulous BPTP soap!

I didn't know what to expect (scent wise) when I ordered this. But basically I thought it would be very foody and sweet. Using it this morning was such a pleasant surprise because it's so light and fresh and herbal. It smells beautiful, and very unique. I wish it was offered year round!

Maybe I'm biased in liking this one the most of the four Halloween soaps. But I didn't stand much of a chance seeing how it's green, my favorite color. The herbaceous scent is so soothing and bright and suits the appearance perfectly. It has a nice soft lather without any exfoliation bits. I can use the non-scrubby soaps much more often on my sensitive skin, so they are usually my favorites anyway. The clay is a nice touch because it made my skin feel super clean and pampered, but not dried out.

I will probably end up ordering another one of these to keep as a backup.

The label is amazing, so whimsical yet definitely full of Halloween spirit. The Silk Road soap formula is fabulous perhaps my favorite of all time. It's so silky and slippery and the foam is so delicate, I love the way it feels in my hands and on my skin. As far as the fragrance goes, for me it's a barely there green tea and clay scent. I prefer a lot more fragrance oomph in the shower, but the silky, moisturizing formula and the wonderful label made the experience worthwhile nonetheless.

Before I even unwrapped this soap, I was in love. An eyeball peers, a frog leg pokes up, a bone floats, pink worms slink, a fish skeleton wiggles from within the rim of a giant cauldron, sloshing with green liquid and frothy bubbles. The best soap label ever!

What is beyond the festive wrapping is even more of a delight. The soap is pleasantly herbal in a fresh and mellow way. I am reminded of the 2007 version of Hunter Moon as well as the Buck Moon of yore, sans musk. The green clay adds a teensy bit of texture, not enough that I would consider it exfoliating. Cauldron Gunk has a smooth glide over skin.

This soap seems the most moisturizing of this year's Halloweenies. I could imagine using Cauldron Gunk all year round. I truly wish this soap would enter the Trading Post catalog rather than tempt us only briefly as an LE.

I was actually really disappointed with Cauldron Gunk. When I first got my bar, it smelled heavenly - a combination of wonderful things boiled down together (with a heavy slap of something that reminded me of Sugar Skull.) After taking it into the shower, however, the bar totally lost its scent. :P Towards the end, after about five days or so, my Cauldron Gunk smelled like sagey plastic.

Light and green, with a teensy bit of scrubbiness - just enough to remind you this came from the bottom of a cauldron. It's pleasant and clean smelling. There's a hint of autumn in it, though. It's not the green of springtime or summer. It's a smell like the sedges in my wetlands this time of year - green grasses and the fallen leaves together.

Cauldron Gunk

This is a lovely soap! It’s my first experience with BPAL soaps, as I really wanted to try the unique fragrance that’s only available in this soap…and I’m glad I did.

The soap: it smells quite strong-not too strong but definitely not faint or ‘soapy’. The scent is enough to make my little ensuite smell lovely. It’s a pale green colour from the parsley, a nice gunky Halloween green.

The texture: a very smooth lather, a little gritty but I don’t mind that. this doesn’t dry my skin at all-I don’t have to apply lotion after washing.

The scent: mmm, a gorgeous fresh green tea and floral mix, I can smell the herbs and a little guava, and jasmine too-but this jasmine isn’t bitter or acrid like some jasmines can be-I think it’s because it’s in soap, as opposed to a concentrated oil. This is a fresh and jaunty scent, tangy and green and flowery and a tad spicy, it’s the smell of a cup of herbal tea. Reminds me of Phantasm, Vampire Tears and 51. Refreshing and awakening. And thankfully, I don’t smell any of the eye of newt and lizard’s leg and all that! The scent clings to the skin when dry, but not too much, just a hint of that fresh tangy tea scent, it doesn’t smell intrusive, it doesn’t clash with my other BPAL oils.

Overall, I am very pleased with CG as my first BPAL soap, and definitely want to try more of these soaps, they are fantastic quality.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

A smooth, lathery, light green in color. This smells very clean and fresh and slightly herbal. Perhaps like fresh plants with a smattering of green tea. There's a smooth creamy background, which is lovely in combination with the greeness. Very refreshing, not at all what I expected this to smell like!!

Nice :P

So 14 years later, I can say that Cauldron Gunk's scent didn't quite make it. I get mainly some green-ish herbal but not alot. The soap itself is still great - good lather, good rinse, nice scrub. The packaging for it was some of the funnest I've ever seen in a soap.

Based on the experience, I would say that Cauldron Gunk was probably best experienced within a year or two of production. 10+ years later, there's not much fragrance there.