Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Marshmallow Poof

A gooey mound of white fluffiness! And yes, it is vegan!

In the bottle: I can barely smell anything, but what I can smell is light, fluffy, sugary sweet marshmallows.

On the skin: This wears very close to the skin. Not a lot of throw but once on my skin for a little bit it does strengthen, it is pure marshmallow though. Not polluted with any other scent, just light, fluffy, sugary marshmallow. Like sticking your head in a bag full of them. On drydown, the scent takes a slightly powdery feel to it but its more like the powdery feel of a bag of marshmallows, like powdered sugar in the bag. Its very light but this is a keeper. I've a feeling it will layer nicely with many many scents as well.

This smells exactly like a marshmallow, only better. I put this on and it just feels like something you can squish. It's what I wish all my stuffed animals smelled like. The memory of eating Peeps when I was little comes to my mind. But the vanilla in this is more strong than I remember my Peeps being. It's so sweet and light and comforting. I am surprised that it has such good staying power. I put it on last night and I could still smell it when I woke up. I liked it so much that I wore it again today. I think this is very pretty, and I usually don't say that about sweet or foody scents. But this does feel like a dainty-sweet fragrance.

Since I don't eat marshmallows anymore I'm glad I can have an alternative way to enjoy them.

This oil is such a cheery scent that when I first sniffed my bottle, it gave me the giggles! It smells just like the air at a carnival when they're making pink cotton candy- fruity, probably strawberry but not obviously so, and that light-as-air spun sugar scent. BPAL strawberry usually goes plasticky on me, but this doesn't at all.

Marshmallow Poof - Ooooh! Sweet, sticky, fluffy, ooey, gooey, sugary, perrrrrfect marshmallow! If you've ever opened a brand new jar of Jet-Puffed marshmallow fluff, you know what I'm talking about when I mention the scent that burst through the air for a microsecond when you pull the seal off the jar and the marshmallow billows out the top. That is what this smells like - sugary, creamy, slightly vanilla-y, slightly buttercream frostingy, and so incredibly yummy. It's hands-down the best sweet/foody scent I've ever encountered in my life. It mellows on my skin almost instantly, leaving a trace of sweetness on it that is very subtle and reminds me of what my skin might smell like if I smeared powdered sugar over it. Amazingly enough for a sweet scent, it doesn't ever turn to plastic. It just gets fainter and fainter until it's just poof! gone. This is really fantastic. Thank you, Beth, for making this!

I had high hopes for Marshmallow Poof since I love those sugary scents. Sadly, this one went the plastic-playdoh route on my chemistry. *sulk*

Aww bummer, I really wanted to like this one!

It smelled good in the imp, but with my chemistry, it took a turn for the worse. It turned purely into plastic. Very icky and made me so very sad. :P I gave it about 15 minutes before slathering over it with something else. (which was Bliss, and that deliciousness more than made up for the disappointment of my chemistry-failure with Marshmallow Poof : -)

:P Really really really was looking forward to trying this one!!!

But seriously, even though I love foody scents, Marshmallow poof turns my tummy for some reason. Smells like plastic toys. :D Ew.

In the bottle:

Sugary marshmallows.

Wet:

Weird, it's almost fruity and seems to have a hint of coconut. It calms down to a white, fluffy sugary scent after a few minutes.

Dry:

As this was drying, I actually questioned whether it was going to work on me, but I think it has come out a winner. I will give it a full wearing to be sure, but I am pretty sure it's love.

Who said Hawaiian punch? Anyway, that is just what I get too. Like the syrup--so so sweet and red. When i put it on, it lightens up a bit, and has an interesting powdery note that makes it hawaiian punch marshmallow rather than syrup, and the powdery note is also interesting because it isn't musky powder or amber powder or baby powder, but a foody powder that gives this a dryness which is perfect for marshmallow poof.

I'm intrigued, but it is a bit odd, and I think it is beginning to give me a headache, which is the first BPAL scent ever to have done that.

Marshmallow Poof

In the bottle: mmm, strawberry flavoured marshmallow fluffy sweetness! A bit like the new Beaver Moon but not as fruity.

Wet on skin: it gets a tiny bit sharp, develops a hint of something almost like doll heads…but still smells sweetly fluffy.

Dry on skin: interesting. This smells like fruity marshmallows but there's something I'm not sure about…it's a slight plastic note that smells like scented doll heads. Whilst in this scent it seems like a rather fitting scent, because this scent is fun and youthful and definitely fits the theme of pretty dolls with pink hair and strawberry dresses, I'm not sure I like smelling of plastic. There's also a slightly soapy sharpness which reminds me of a reaction I got with Chaste Moon (I'm one of the few who didn't love that scent). But I do love the fluffy marshmallow sweetness I get here-especially when smelt away from the wrist. It's light and sweet and joyful, it reminds me of a less creamy, less fruity Beaver Moon.

After a while: the soapy/sharp note and the plastic note seem to die down a little-they still linger but they aren't as distracting as they were before. Now the sweet, delicious, fluffy and sugar coated marshmallow note starts to dominate. This isn't a toasted marshmallow, or a plain marshmallow scent, but a strawberry flavoured, bright pink, and squishy sweet. It reminds me of the bouncy texture of marshmallows, but doesn't have the lovely creamy vanilla scent I get with other marshmallow scents. This is a very airy, light scent, bubbly and soft, with a sprinkling of white sugar.

The scent gets even lovelier, fluffier and delicious, and at times I almost smell a hint of sweet musk, which prevents it from being too foody. I really like this drydown. Not creamy, not juicy, not toasted, just sweet and white-pink and young and smiling.

Verdict: I was looking forward to this one most out of this year's inquisition and was so pleased when I got a bottle! But sadly it's not as spectacular as I hoped for. It smells of marshmallows, for sure, but unfortunately there are stages of plastic and sweet soap before it becomes gloriously marshmallowy at drydown. It smells like doll heads and kid's bubble bath with sweet fluff, but I wanted pure marshmallow! I have to wait at least an hour or two before I really love this scent, and it smells just like fresh marshmallows covered in sugar. that being said, it is a really fun scent, very youthful and childlike and playful. So I will keep a decant of it, because it has layering potential, but I think I'll swap my bottle of it.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? not sure. I may swap my bottle, but I really like the drydown.

Hmph.

...*sniff*...

I'm on the fence about this one. At first it smelled like doughy sugar. The sweetness is coming out more, but I'll have to test this one a few times before making a final decision). However, if I no likie, there's always a scent locket, right? :P

Marshmallow Poof is love. Sweet, sugary, marshmallows with just a touch of coconut added in for good measure. Not sure if there is even coconut inside but my skin's chemistry definitely says yes there is. It is sweet, fun, playful and decadent. Amazingly enough this is one foody type scent that actually lasts on me.

Ohhh, lovin' the fluffy, yummy goodness that is Marshmallow Poof. Initially, while wet, I get just the faintest hint of fruit, but I was smelling faint cherry, not strawberry. Probably just my faulty nose. However, the more it dries down the mallowier it gets. Sweet and delicious, no plastic, no dough. It is a close skin scent, however.

What a perfect time of year to smell like a Peep. :P

What a perfect time of year to smell like a Peep.

Haha, an Easter candy inquisition would be hilarious.

Anyway, onto my review - I must be one of the few that didn't have an OMG Love it or OMG Hate it reaction to the Poof. It doesn't smell like a marshmallow to me, it smells like pure sugar, but with a weird astringent quality to it. I wasn't expecting it to be such a sharp scent. As a result, my reaction is thoroughly "meh."

There's a strong plastic note to this when wet (Hey! So that's what everyone means when they say a blend smells like plastic!), underneath a soft, sugary sweetness. The plastic disappeared after about 20 minutes (hooray!) and I was left with just the sugar...it's like fluffy powdered sugar something, very very sweet and light. Not much throw but it's staying around for a decent amount of time.

I had been dying to try this so I was really exited when I got a decant.

Smells sweet in the bottle.

When I applied it, it bagan having a plastic undertone.

There wasnt much throw.

Gone withint 2 hours (if it lasted that much)

I really wanted this to work on me, but I was unlucky

ADDED 3/22/09:

This is delicious! Its marshmallows, the natural kind not the jett puff ones. All goey and fluffy and sugary, but then it dries down and I get this funky waxy note to it. *sighs* Maybe more for a scent locket than anything.

Edited by Shollin

Sweet, sugary...drier sheets? At first it smells just like a marshmallow scrub, and then it turns into an uber-sweet scent with a hint of floral drier sheets. Not me, not me at all.

To me, this smells a bit like cherry and a lot like vanilla and sugar. It doesn't combine to anything that I think of as "marshmallow"-- I think it's a lot closer to gooey marshmallow fluff, like someone else suggested.

I don't like vanilla, so you won't be surprised to hear that I didn't like this a bit and ended up washing it off. :P The vanilla was very aggressive and cloying and musky on me, as almost all vanilla is. Yuckers.

On the other hand, my best friend was visiting from out of town, and she LOVES the smell of this on me. She says it smells like vanilla and patchouli, which I think is crazed. Anyway, she really likes it and says it does smell a bit like a marshmallow. So there you are, two very different opinions of the Poof.

Regardless of my feelings on the scent, I am really glad that I got to try this. :D

It smells white and fluffy, and it seems like it has a little hint of something pink in it. It's sweet, but not overbearing. I think this is a very good interpretation of a marshmallow scent. Also, although I sometimes have trouble with BPAL foody scents developing a plastic or artificial-smelling scent, this one doesn't do that. It's good. :P

Marshmallow Poof

Oh I was so desperate to like this one, I love marshmallows and the idea of smelling like one was lovely! Unfortunately, right out of the vial it smells like chemically-treated....popcorn? On my skin, it was more plasticky chemicals. I had to run to the bathroom and wash it off after only an hour.

I still have some traces of it on that I wasn't able to scrub away, although I have to press my nose to my wrist to smell it, and it's actually not bad, like maple syrup-covered buttery popcorn. I just wish that wasn't the scent I got after scrubbing it off. :\ I hope my imp finds a more worthy home!

Marshmallow from the imp, predictably, but there's also a strange hint of something fruity in there. I wonder if I have bleedover from another imp, because it doesn't make much sense to me for marshmallow to be fruity. Ah well, we'll see.

Wet on the skin, the note is still there. I can't help but compare it to Sticky Pillowcase, though SP is obviously much stronger in tart fruitiness. Still, it's weird.

When it dries down, the fruitiness is gone and I'm left with soft sweetness. It's, you know, marshmallow. Doesn't require a search for a big bottle, but it's fun and lighthearted and I will keep my decant.

Imp: A sweet fluffy vanilla with a pink tinge. Like marshmallows and some gossamer threads of cotton candy.

Wet: Same as in the imp, but with a slight fruitiness making the “pink” element stronger. Like pink fluffy marshmallows. Reminds me of Midway because of this, though they're different.

Drying: Pink marshmallows mostly…but if I close my eyes I can also imagine a pink lemonade-like zing and a bit of coconut. Unfortunately, I can also smell a bit of burny plastic, which I also got from midway, though its less pronounced in puff. Alas, some sugar notes just don’t agree with me. Lasts ~6 hrs, fades to a sorta powdery marshmallow sugar.

Overall: Sweet, pale pink and high on fun, but this doesn't perform as well as it could on my skin. I'm glad I got to try it, but also sorta glad it doesn't work 100% for me, since its relatively rare. :P

In the imp: marshmallow goo. (I'm so not a foody -- why do I even HAVE this?)

On drydown: play-doh.

::sigh::

Oh my goodness.... this is a sweet, sugary marshmallow confection.

It really does smell like marshmallows.

:P

Now I want candy!

in the bottle: gooey marshmallow fluff with a dollop of cream on it! :D

wet on the skin and drydown are consistent with each other- the creaminess has faded a bit, but the person who said there's a coconut note i think is spot on- that's definitely what my skin is picking up, though not in an amp-y sort of way, just like what you get when you have a big ole marshmallow that has a thin coating of coconut on it. the sugar element is NOT amping, a first for me!

in all:just perfect! SO glad i have some now!

:P :D :D