Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cegirls

Light, gentle, subtle scents for the office, class, expectant moms

I agree with Judas_Kiss, both about the allergies AND the Dana O'Shee recommendation.

Thanks so much, everyone! Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to pick things out on her behalf, just compiling some recommendations for her, since she's thinking about perhaps ordering some as her birthday gift to herself. :P

I used The Unicorn as a scent for a lotion I made for a mom with two young daughters, I wanted something that wouldn't reek up the house if the girls got into it (which I figured they would). Kumiho is light, but might be too sharp? Dana O'Shee is such a comforting skin smell to me. And I like Amsterdam, it smells like tulips and grass.

I'd also consider adding in Dirty - it's such a wonderfully fresh scent, very clean and soft. Also, something that smells natural but not skinlike: Lightning. In small amounts it's very clean and fresh.

And of course, I have to agree with the vote for Dragon's Milk. It's such a cozy and wonderful scent!

I second the Dana O'Shee and raise you one Embalming Fluid. It's a really light and refreshing scent.

I see your Embalming Fluid with my own recommendation of it, and also throw into the pot: The Hermit, Old Paris, Shanghai, Sophia, Temple of Dreams, Sudha Segara, Oneiroi, Phantasm, Baobhan Sith, Roadhouse, Belle Epoque.

-doreen

I have scent sensitivity that ranges from mild to less mild; cigarette smoke makes me nauseous, I can't stand to have incense burning, and at one time I couldn't even bear to walk into a Bath & Body Works. I think that sensitivity has decreased somewhat with time. (I can now walk into Starbucks and Bath & Body Works, for example). Sometimes these things just smell unpleasant; occasionally they trigger migraines.

I have a lot of trouble with fragrance counters at department stores.

But I really, really want to try some BPAL oils. Just a drop or two should be okay, right? And I can always use them, very diluted, in lotion or as home fragrances.

I'd like, if you would be so kind, a little reassurance or dissuasion, so I can make up my mind, and suggestions for a couple of very light oils that should be safe. I'm thinking Kumiho, for a start, and maybe Shanghai... I'll probably end up getting a pack of imps with a few mild fragrances and a few bolder ones.

Thanks in advance!

I think I'm a lot like you in scent sensitivity -- I get instant headaches from walking past Bath & Body Works, can't go to LUSH stores, cigarette smoke makes me ill, and I even have trouble with some food scents. I also get migraines from air fresheners and almost all commercial perfumes.

I can, however, wear BPAL! I've tried quite a few scents, and most were just fine -- a couple gave me a mild headache, but that was about the extent of my reaction to them, and I'm not even sure that they were the culprit, since I've worn them again since without a problem. My partner also has horrible allergies to most perfumes and chemicals, but she's only had a problem with one or two scents, and those were quite mild and "tolerable" in her opinion.

I use them very sparingly, usually just by swabbing the wand across my wrists once, behind my ears, and then dipping it again and running it through my hair.

I am so, so thrilled to finally be able to wear perfume. I'd encourage you to give it a try -- if it doesn't work out for you, you'll be able to sell them on the forums or eBay easily enough, I'd suspect.

As for light scents... hmm. Neo-Tokyo is one of my favorites, a very light crisp green scent. The Unicorn is very light, but it's one of the scents that seems to give me a faint headache sometimes. De Sade is completely different, but not very overwhelming, and Whip is also beautiful although a bit bold. White Rabbit was lovely and light right up until my skin said "ooooh, honey!" and turned it too sweet for me to stand.

Good luck!

I recommend Sudha Segara and Fae.

It's really a personal experience though. There are so many to try here. You might want to try as many different types from different olfactory groups so that you yourself can get a better view of what does and doesnt work for you from BPAL.

Good Luck!

I'm very sensitive to scents too and received my first pack of imps last month. The far majority of the samples I received were too strong for me, but Pele (muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms) was very mild to my nose. Good luck!

I have scent sensitivity and migraines too. I can wear BPAL, I just had to figure out what works for me. What scents work for you is completely dependant on you, but here's what I've figured out about me:

- musky scents, particularly dark musks and patchouli, are a big no-no

- foody scents are usually fine, better if they are spicy and not too sweet

- fruit is generally safe

- light scents are usually safe

-woody scents are usually safe

- florals vary wildly, but are usually risky

- all things in moderation...I have to apply very sparingly, a little on a wrist to start, and sometimes a touch behind the ears if it's a scent I know tends to work well for me.

The Unicorn, Neo-Tokyo, and Amsterdam were all very light on me (in other words, gone in an hour). However, they're all quite "perfumey" and might cause a reaction.

Dana O'Shee, if applied lightly, can be very soft. And I second Sudha Segara.

The Dormouse is nice and gentle. :P Chaste Moon is the softest BPAL I've tried to date, I can barely smell it on my skin even after generous slathering.

Thanks very much!

I will definitely be getting a good variety to see if there are specific categories that are more bothersome than others.

I'm looking for a light, herb-garden sort of scent. Spicy is good, but not *too* strong, and I'd like to avoid florals.

I've gone through the website and other recommendations, and I have a long list of 'possibles' now that I need to narrow down to six to try. Can anyone recommend which to keep and which might not be what I'm looking for?

The tentative list:

The Lady of Shallot

Absinthe

Delirium

Phantasm

Zephyr

Embalming Fluid

Ave Maria...

Shanghai

Rome

Kumiho

The Apothecary

Envy

Bewitched

Thanks!

Bewitched is more berry with a very slight green edge from the sage. I wouldn't call it a truly herbal, but still a nice one.

The Apothecary is herbally, but on me it has a floral edge as well. I'd suggest trying it out. It really is an all around pleasant scent.

Phantasm and Embalming Fluid both have a citrus/lemony feel to them. It could be more prominent than you might like. However, Embalming Fluid is a nice light scent that blends very well, perfect for warm weather.

I would also recommend The Ghost and The Hanging Gardens. The Ghost is light and airy and has a true herbal feel to it. Hanging Gardens can also be thought of as a garden scent, but it also has a fruit component that is intriguing for bringing something new to the mix.

Here are some others that may be worth trying out for you....

Silk Road

Hamadryad

Ygdrassil

Ides of March

The House of Night, without question.

Also Whippoorwill, if you get it before the end of May.

I'd second Ides of March if you can get your hands on a bottle.

Snake Oil is kind of spicey... it smells like vanilla incense. mmm

Namaste is resin/spice with lemongrass. It does have rose in it, but it's very faint.

Rome is fairly herby, too, from what I can remember.

You might want to try a Tarot oil - The World and The Hierophant would both fit the bill. Not available in imps, though :P.

Hamadryad to me is pure woodsy cinnamon rather than "herb garden," but is heavenly.

Shanghai smells like green tea and lemon. Not herbal. Embalming Fluid is even stronger lemon.

Absinthe on me was just about straight anise, but other people really like it, and I've heard it described as a "herb garden" scent. Zephyr didn't work on me either (very masculine and cologne-y), but is apparently quite different on other people.

Hi,

If you like light and herby, don't miss Hemlock, Belladonna, or Wolfsbane. All are very green, airy, and astringent, which is to be expected as all are named after herbs. These are so light and green I wasn't able to think of them as perfumes, so my personal preferences for light oils are:

Undertow- lotus, ozone, green things

Zombi- earth, oakmoss, dried roses

Rosalind- green grass

Empyreal Mist- aquatic citrus and herbs

Hope that helps :P

I also would recommend you try Hamadryad, Rome, and Absinthe, and Wolfsbane. All lovely! Antony is also quite nice. Ides of March is wonderful! Good luck!! Hope you find a scent that's perfect for you... :P